Author Topic: Recording a two-guitar band.  (Read 1822 times)

Offline FlashCE

Recording a two-guitar band.
« on: June 26, 2009, 03:36:53 AM »
Hey guys, my band has two guitarists, with one of them being myself. Our songs are pretty distinct and separate guitar parts. e.g. Guitar 1 playing clean arpeggios, guitar 2 playing power chords. I'm having a problem settling for a way to record this. The traditional way of double tracking ala. Metallica wouldn't work too well since a lot of times we are playing different parts. So how would I make the guitar sound huge? Right now, I'm on the left speaker, and my other guitarist is on the right speaker. Do we simply double those parts and just overlap them so there's two of me on the left speaker and two of him on the right?

I'm really bad at explaining this, but I hope you get my problem. If this was a 1 guitar band, I would just have the left guitar double the right guitar and make it a wider stereo wall of guitar sound. I don't know how to achieve this when the two guitars are playing different stuff.

You can check out two of our old demos at www.myspace.com/visualasperity

Might give you a better idea of what I mean. For instance, in ...And This Is How It Goes' intro, I'm on the left playing a riff while the right guitar is doing a rhythm thingy.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
Re: Recording a two-guitar band.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 03:43:42 AM »
Wrong forum much?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 07:11:43 AM »
I suppose doubling up could work?  If you just pan one hard left and one halfway-ish and do the same for the right side it could work out nicely.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 07:32:45 AM »
There are really a whole bunch of things you could do, but for the example you gave, what I would do is pan the power chords hard left and right, and have the arpeggios doubled and panned right and left, but only about halfway. That's just what I would do though. Try www.petrucciforum.com though. A lot of folks on that forum seriously know their shit.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 07:46:11 AM »
Fuzzyboy is right, there are many possibilities, and many tastes in mixing to consider. For example, you could also put both of you guys in both channels, but have him turned down lower in the left so that you are louder in the left, and vice versa for the right side. It may sound great, mediocre, or like crap, but sometimes it is all trial and error.

Offline FlashCE

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 08:13:41 AM »
I was supposed to post this in the JP boards >_>

Really sorry about the error. I get confused with the amount of boards I surf at the same time.

Thanks for the help guys.