Author Topic: Election 2012  (Read 233955 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Election 2012
« Reply #1575 on: March 09, 2012, 12:39:46 PM »
I can't. Romney would put us back to where we were at the start of the crash.

Hey, any improvement is still progress.
Clever. :clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1576 on: March 09, 2012, 01:26:19 PM »
I figure Romney's running mate is going to be a right-->far right Christian.  He needs something to reach out to those who are hesitant about his Mormanism, and to address claims of being too moderate. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1577 on: March 09, 2012, 01:39:33 PM »
Not sure whether that is the best strategy or not.  Personally, I don't care if he picks Sonic the Hedgehog as his running mate if it gets Obama out of the White House.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TL

« Reply #1578 on: March 09, 2012, 01:44:27 PM »
Romney winning the presidency would be very disappointing to me. Santorum winning it would be actively terrifying.

Anyway, tomorrow is Kansas. I'm expecting this one to be close, with a slight edge for Santorum. Gingrich will be more or less a non-factor. With Paul, this will be the our first glimpse at how his poor showing on Super Tuesday has effected his numbers. It's proportional statewide, with some delegates being allocated to the winners of the congressional districts. I'm expecting it to be more or less an even split between Santorum and Romney.

Also, unrelated, I was looking over some results from Tuesday. Jon Huntsman, who you may recall dropped out about two months ago, got 2% of the vote there. For comparison, Gingrich, who is still technically in it, got 8%. This has no bearing on anything; I just thought it was funny.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1579 on: March 09, 2012, 01:45:23 PM »
Rush Limbaugh is the obvious choice for Romney as a running mate.  :P

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1580 on: March 09, 2012, 01:52:04 PM »

Y'know, I realize this was supposed to be a joke and all, but... :-\

Rush Limbaugh is the obvious choice for Romney as a running mate.  :P

Now that's funny.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1581 on: March 09, 2012, 02:02:22 PM »

Y'know, I realize this was supposed to be a joke and all, but... :-\

No, it wasn't.  Not that I have faith in Romney to actually undo the damage, but at least we will hopefully slow it down.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1582 on: March 09, 2012, 02:03:44 PM »
Not sure whether that is the best strategy or not.  Personally, I don't care if he picks Sonic the Hedgehog as his running mate if it gets Obama out of the White House.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1583 on: March 09, 2012, 02:22:45 PM »
I have to be honest here, I find the comments about "damage" and Obama pretty  :lol worthy, considering his predecessor had us borrowing hundreds of billions of dollars from the most repressive communist regime on earth in order to fund tax cuts for hedge fund managers and prosecute a war to spread democracy free the Iraqi people from a dictator find WMDs find and kill Al Queda...um, what was I saying again?  ::)   Damage?  Yeah, we need more time to fix all of it. It took 8 years to destroy our economy, give us time.  You can't turn a battleship on a dime nor can you turn an economy, but we've now had 24 consecutive months of job growth.  Patience is needed. 

Getting back to the VP slot, Chris Christie won't be the pick.  This is one of many reasons why.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #1584 on: March 09, 2012, 02:23:17 PM »
Could you guys please explain to me what Obama has done that has been so unworthy of the Office? I've asked this question a lot, and I still just don't see it. Not that he's perfect, but he seems to be at worst having a slightly positive effect for us, not some catastrophic meltdown, that he needs to be out of the office, no matter what. Could a better candidate beat him? Ya, but none of those are the current mix of Republicans, and I can't fathom why you'd accept someone worse, just because it's not Obama.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1585 on: March 09, 2012, 02:27:20 PM »

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #1586 on: March 09, 2012, 02:33:52 PM »
The worst parts of those are due to Congress, not Obama, and there were numerous positive effects from the stimulus. Many economists have stated things would be worse without the stimulus. I mean, what are you going to try and argue, that infrastructure investment is bad? Let's also not forget that half of the $700 billion were tax cuts. Payroll tax cuts and unemployment benefits, especially, helped us fall deeper into a hole.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1587 on: March 09, 2012, 02:34:44 PM »
The worst parts of those are due to Congress, not Obama, and there were numerous positive effects from the stimulus. Many economists have stated things would be worse without the stimulus. I mean, what are you going to try and argue, that infrastructure investment is bad? Let's also not forget that half of the $700 billion were tax cuts. Payroll tax cuts and unemployment benefits, especially, helped us fall deeper into a hole.

Totally due to Congress. Fucking sucks that the President can't veto anything.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #1588 on: March 09, 2012, 02:38:29 PM »
So, do something that's not as good as it could be, or do nothing at all. Your choice.

Let's not pretending a veto would have changed the bill, it would have meant nothing happened, and that would have been far worse than passing a corrupt piece of legislation. We should be blaming congress for the pieces of shit, not Obama. Because guess what, that's where the power of our government lies. If Congress wasn't corrupt, it wouldn't pass corrupt legislation, and no President, regardless of party, could do anything about it. If they veto it, because it's not corrupt, Congress can override him.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1589 on: March 09, 2012, 02:49:39 PM »
Oh, and a lot of that money lined the pockets of special interests groups. Solydnra anyone?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1590 on: March 09, 2012, 02:54:42 PM »
Could you guys please explain to me what Obama has done that has been so unworthy of the Office? I've asked this question a lot, and I still just don't see it.

Nah, not worth debating if you ask me.  I'll just say that I have to think for awhile before I can think of anything he has done that has been a positive rather than detrimental, and I'll just leave it at that.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #1591 on: March 09, 2012, 02:58:02 PM »
 :facepalm:

You are aware Solyndra goes back to the Bush administration, right? The loan was finally approved under Obama, but the process and the actual loan secured were part of a program that came into existence before Obama was ever elected. There's also not much reason, still, to believe Solyndra was done out of anything other than good intentions. There are countless other companies which got loans, which did not fail, and the simple fact is, some companies are going to fail.

So ya, you can point to corruption of our Federal Government, but you still aren't showing me how this is Obama. In fact, you point to Solyndra, which only helps me prove my point. "The Obama Administration restructured the original Bush-era deal to further protect the taxpayers’ investment."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1592 on: March 09, 2012, 03:00:54 PM »
???  I didn't say a word about Solyndra or Bush.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1593 on: March 09, 2012, 03:02:27 PM »
It's not like Obama went to Solyndra and gave a speech about how they were going to be leaders in the industry.

Bush blaming is so 2008. Can't you guys come up with ANYTHING new? I don't need to explain why I don't like the guy. You're just going to tell me I'm wrong, and I don't feel like debating it. I've done my research. Or I could just say it's because he's black and take the easy way out ;) (no, it's not because he's black. that's just my go-to tactic to get people to shut up when they want to debate me over stupid shit).

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1594 on: March 09, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »
For the record, Solyndra didn't collapse because it was a failure; it collapsed because the solar panel market under their wing expanded too rapidly and they couldn't keep up. The "too big to fail" effect, as it were.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #1595 on: March 09, 2012, 04:59:57 PM »
???  I didn't say a word about Solyndra or Bush.

Never said you did.

It's not like Obama went to Solyndra and gave a speech about how they were going to be leaders in the industry.

Bush blaming is so 2008. Can't you guys come up with ANYTHING new? I don't need to explain why I don't like the guy. You're just going to tell me I'm wrong, and I don't feel like debating it. I've done my research. Or I could just say it's because he's black and take the easy way out ;) (no, it's not because he's black. that's just my go-to tactic to get people to shut up when they want to debate me over stupid shit).

First of all, I don't think Solyndra is a scandal, you do, so I'm not blaming Bush. I'm pointing out how Solyndra, if it's a scandal, can hardly be said to be purely Obama. You're blaming Obama, and Im showing you how silly that is. Giving a speech at the factory doesn't show corruption, it shows they picked a bad example to tout.

But nice try to change the topic.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1596 on: March 09, 2012, 05:23:05 PM »
My gripes with Obama are numerous but I don't see how Romney & Co. could possibly do a better job. Actually...electing a Republican might force the Democrats to pretend to care about civil liberties and all that silly stuff again.

.....ROMNEY 2012!

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1597 on: March 09, 2012, 05:37:15 PM »
Here's the deal. Im not going to throw out all of the reasons why I am not voting for the guy as if it is a discussion. It's venturing into opinion territory. And when it's my opinion, you're always going to be wrong. I don't see why it's even worth discussing. I cited Solyndra as an example. I disagree with that amount of government spending fundamentally (with the exception of war time spending). So, it doesn't matter who/what. I wasn't the biggest Bush fan either.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1598 on: March 09, 2012, 05:46:37 PM »
Why is wartime spending an exception?

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1599 on: March 09, 2012, 05:48:42 PM »
I believe the USA should always be on the cutting edge of military technology. Wartime spending gets exception because you can't put a price on safety of ourselves or others.

Offline TL

« Reply #1600 on: March 09, 2012, 06:25:47 PM »
Why is wartime spending an exception?
Because obviously killing defenseless brown people half way around the world is good, but providing health care to your own citizens so they don't die of easily avoidable/treatable disease or go bankrupt from medical treatments is bad.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1601 on: March 09, 2012, 06:34:29 PM »
TL, that is absolutely unacceptable.  Knock it off.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1602 on: March 09, 2012, 07:47:26 PM »
Why is that unacceptable?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1603 on: March 10, 2012, 06:53:23 AM »
Yeah, I said something in a previous post that I thought I would have been warned for. While I think TL's post is asinine, I don't see what's particularly bad about it.

I was being a bitch last night. Getting hella lag in counter strike. Fucking up my kpd. But, I disagree with a lot of Obama's rhetoric. Being conservative, why should I like anything he says?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1604 on: March 10, 2012, 07:17:42 AM »
Why should your political alignment affect your ability to reach across the line?

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1605 on: March 10, 2012, 07:28:08 AM »
IMO, he hasnt said anything that has made me want to compromise.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1606 on: March 10, 2012, 07:30:32 AM »
Okay, so try to be more specific: what did he say that was so offensive?

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1607 on: March 10, 2012, 07:33:23 AM »
Nothing offensive, just nothing I agree with.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1608 on: March 10, 2012, 07:34:51 AM »
What I find sort of baffling is the fact that Obama has really been a very centrist president, yet, conservatives continue to despise the guy as if he's actually been able to move any truly progressive legislation through congress.  The only thing that even comes remotely close to a liberal or progressive legislative achievement are the stimulus (which despite conservatives efforts to paint as something that's created no jobs has in fact created a lot of jobs) and the health care legislation, which the NON-Partisan CBO notes will be paid for.

He appointed a couple of liberals to the SCOTUS, I guess I can see why conservatives wouldn't like that, but it's not like the court isn't still tipped to the right.

I think conservatives should just take a deep breath and let it out slowly.  :)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1609 on: March 10, 2012, 07:36:58 AM »
Nothing offensive, just nothing I agree with.

We'll let's start here:

You don't agree with reining in wall street so we don't have another financial crisis?
You don't agree with ending the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy?
You don't agree with the payroll tax cut that makes your paychecks bigger?
You don't agree with ending the Iraq war?
You don't agree with giving more people opportunities to go to college?