Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 683659 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #2135 on: June 14, 2016, 10:22:15 AM »
I will agree with you that Anytime/Anywhere isn't so great.  But given that it and Hit the Black are the only real clunkers on the album, it's still a really solid effort from start to finish.

I'm actually a big fan of "Hit the Black."  I consider it one of the stronger songs on the album, and I've always enjoyed hearing that one live.  Now I'm in the mood to go listen to it! 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 11:01:00 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2136 on: June 14, 2016, 10:28:41 AM »
I completely wrote it off until I saw them perform it at the Live Evolution show, and that helped me appreciate it a bit more.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2137 on: June 14, 2016, 02:40:24 PM »
I'm actually a big fan of "Hit the Black."  I consider it one of the stronger songs on the album,

Thank you...

Yes, but you have incredibly questionable taste, so that doesn't count. 

...and no thank you. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2138 on: July 12, 2016, 05:40:37 AM »
A funny thing happened last night.

So last night we were driving to my son's basketball game. We came to a red light and I rolled down my window.
Then my wife says "what did you say?"
I said "nothing"
"You said something"
"I don't think so"
"Did you say 'kill her'"?
"You heard that?"
"What's the matter with you?"
 :facepalm:
Then I explained that there's a passage on a classic album where an exchange takes place between characters that begins with a window put down.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2139 on: July 12, 2016, 06:24:42 AM »
OMG....YOU DO THAT TOO?????

I swear I can't listen to a power window without that line popping into my head. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2140 on: July 12, 2016, 06:27:53 AM »
I recite the entire passage in my head every time! :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2141 on: July 12, 2016, 07:15:04 AM »
I can't listen to anyone saying "sweet dreams" without adding (mostly in my mind) "you bastard".
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2142 on: July 12, 2016, 07:17:02 AM »
I can't listen to anyone saying "sweet dreams" without adding (mostly in my mind) "you bastard".

haha...........that's the one that gets me too  :rollin
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2143 on: July 12, 2016, 08:45:00 AM »
Yeah, I have several of those too.  :lol  To this day, when I get home from work and don't see/hear anyone in the house, my wife doesn't get why I say, "Anybody home?  ...Mary?"
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2144 on: July 12, 2016, 09:20:04 AM »

lol

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2145 on: July 19, 2016, 01:30:02 AM »
'Kill Mary?' 'and get the Priest as well!'

dudes that's exactly what I hear in my head as well.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2146 on: July 21, 2016, 08:00:16 AM »
“Fuck her, that’s all you have to do.”

“Fuck Mary?”

“She’s a bitch..........and get the priest as well.”

:neverusethis:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2147 on: July 31, 2016, 08:32:53 PM »
Todd shared this on FB, now I want that cover album out lol
https://www.facebook.com/labelguyjoe/posts/10206919991255634

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2148 on: October 12, 2016, 09:22:08 AM »
Listening to OM again today for the first time in a long time and as usual, I'm floored at what an amazing piece of work it is.  As a whole AND as individual parts.  I remember when I first heard it, and for a while, I didn't care for Suite Sister Mary.  Now, I dig it a whole lot more.  So much emotion in his vocals in that song alone.  Wow.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #2149 on: October 12, 2016, 09:30:27 AM »
Listening to OM again today for the first time in a long time and as usual, I'm floored at what an amazing piece of work it is.  As a whole AND as individual parts.  I remember when I first heard it, and for a while, I didn't care for Suite Sister Mary.  Now, I dig it a whole lot more.  So much emotion in his vocals in that song alone.  Wow.

Yes.  YES.  YES.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2150 on: October 12, 2016, 09:44:55 AM »
Suite Sister Mary is awesome!

O:M is in my all time Top 3 Vocal performances. Tate is perfect.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2151 on: October 12, 2016, 02:11:19 PM »
The best album ever IMO!!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2152 on: October 12, 2016, 03:35:20 PM »
I tend to end up listening to Mindcrime prior to every Presidential election.

Revolution calls.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2153 on: October 14, 2016, 12:41:08 PM »
Suite Sister Mary is awesome!

O:M is in my all time Top 3 Vocal performances. Tate is perfect.

All the above is true.
Suite Sister Mary is a masterpiece. I'd love to know what the choir sings, I can't make the words out.

And Tate was god in those days

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2154 on: October 14, 2016, 03:59:18 PM »
 While I don't know exactly what the choir is singing, I do know that it is all in Latin.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2155 on: October 14, 2016, 04:28:44 PM »
While I don't know exactly what the choir is singing, I do know that it is all in Latin.

I thought it would be, but there's a section I always thought was saying "don't give in "

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2156 on: October 15, 2016, 05:21:09 AM »
I too think that they are mostly latin phrases from some church liturgy, but then I think I hear the choir singing "virgin mary".
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2157 on: October 15, 2016, 11:05:51 AM »
Apparently, it would be taken from Verdi's Requiem, the Dies Irae :

https://www.apollowebworks.com/russell/mindcrimefaq.html

Here are the lyrics to it, taken from the site above https://www.apollowebworks.com/russell/mindcrime.html , the lyrics can also be found on the Requiem as well of course  :

Dies irae, dies illa,
Solvet saeclum in favilla,
Teste David cum Sibylla.
Quantus tremor est futurus,
Quando judex est venturus,
Cuncta stricte discussurus!

B.Lee
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 11:22:45 AM by Bertielee »
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2158 on: October 15, 2016, 06:26:50 PM »
Teste David cum Sibylla.

Ooh, that sounds dirty!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2159 on: October 16, 2016, 02:04:24 AM »
Teste David cum Sibylla.

Ooh, that sounds dirty!

:biggrin:

Here is the English translation :

Day of wrath and doom impending,
David's word with Sibyl's blending!
Heaven and earth in ashes ending!
Oh, what fear man's bosom rendeth,
When from heaven the Judge descendeth,
On whose sentence all dependeth!

See, not so dirty, ain't it?  :rollin :rollin

B.Lee

PS : Yeepee!!! My Renaissance post!
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2160 on: November 17, 2016, 08:35:19 AM »
Review from last night's show below.  For those who don't know, they just kicked off a tour with Armored Saint and Midnight Eternal opening.  Last night was the second show (first was in Seattle the night before). 

The set:
Guardian
Operation: Mindcrime
Best I Can
Damaged
The Killing Words
The Mission
Silent Lucidity
Empire
Eye 9
Queen of the Reich
Jet City Woman
Take Hold of the Flame

Encore:

Screaming in Digital
Hellfire
Eyes of a Stranger

3 songs from the new record out of 15.  But still, not too bad.  The issue was, they were delayed getting to the venue (I heard that Saint's bus had broken down), so that led to a late start.  Both opening bands cut about 10 minutes and QR left Arrow of Time out of the set. 

I was on the fence about whether to go because I knew we would miss most of the openers due to some other commitments.  I was hoping we would catch a couple of songs from Saint at the end of their set, but we ended up walking in right after they had just finished. 

We had a good spot for QR.  Again, the set was the same as Seattle except for cutting Arrow.  I thought they were solid and sounded good overall.  This was my first time seeing them with Todd, and I was not disappointed.  A few minor hiccups, which I will comment on below.  But overall, pretty solid.  Some notes:

-The set:  Overall, no major complaints.  I would like the new material represented a bit more.  And they should have featured more from Rage and made more out of the fact that that album is 30 years old.  They even had 30th anniversary shirts at the merch booth, but I think most fans had no idea.  If they commented on it, I would guess they would have sold a lot more shirts.  But anyhow, I know it is difficult to figure out what to play when your catalog is that big.  Todd even commented on it at one point.  But still, that is a problem a lot of older bands have to deal with, and it really isn't that hard to figure out.  Related to that...

-Condition Human songs:  Notwithstanding what I just said, I do sympathize somewhat with the difficulty of adding a lot of new stuff to the set.  You can look at the Seattle set list to see how they mixed them in throughout the show, which I think was smart.  Guardian got a decent reaction, but hard to say if that was because of the song or because it was the beginning of the set.  When they introduced Eye9, it got decent applause.  But the crowd reaction during the song was lukewarm.  Honestly, I didn't think it translated that well live and sounded like a bit of a mess.  Hellfire, despite being a beast, also seemed to get only lukewarm reaction.  Overall, it seemed like maybe half the crowd knew the new stuff.  And that's fine.  But it is tricky to include much more with that kind of crowd reaction and not have it suck the life out of the show.  I hate to say it, but I think 4 songs would have been about the most they could have done without it taking away from the show for many people.  And that's sad, because they should be playing 5-6 new songs.

-Minor hiccup on The Killing Words:  This was just one of those things.  Scott came in late on the second chorus, and it threw everybody off.  Half the band was following him, and the other half of the band was on time.  They keep on chugging and got back together by the end of the chorus.  Rock and roll!

-Parker:  Two things here.  First off, at least on our side of the house, he was WAY too low in the mix.  We could rarely hear him, even on his solos.  Second, speaking of solos, he gave a lot more of them back to Mike.  Not sure why.  But there were songs I was expecting him to solo on that Mike took, and I was wanting Parker to do them.  Oh well.  He still played well from what I could hear, and really has a nice stage presence.  Looked like he was having fun up there.

-Todd:  Overall, sounded great.  He backed off of a few parts, which is to be expected on such a challenging set.  But he tackled some really difficult passages with enthusiasm and pretty much nailed it all.  There was a girl dancing and singing next to me for about the first half of the show, and at one point in between songs, she was going on about how good Todd sounded.  I turned to her and said, "yeah, he is killing it up there," and she said, "Oh my gosh, YES, he is TOTALLY killing it.  This makes me not miss Geoff Tate at all!"  I also think he is turning into a pretty good front man in general.  Todd did interact a lot with the crowd, but it was mostly during the songs.  He kept the talk in between to a minimum.  But he said at one point that they were doing that on purpose because there was a strict curfew, and they wanted to play as much music as they could (and the problem had been exacerbated by the late arrival), so I understand.

Again, good show overall.  My nitpicks about what they SHOULD be doing still stand.  But I still came away a happy customer.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2161 on: November 17, 2016, 07:30:48 PM »
great review!

Offline NotePad

« Reply #2162 on: November 20, 2016, 10:59:16 AM »
Queensryche should be up there with Priest and Maiden. They used to be
 Hopefully they can get back there. I want to see them playing massive stadiums.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #2163 on: November 22, 2016, 11:11:16 AM »
Bumping up a thread, since it looks like the last conversations were about the original lineup of Queensryche (my favorite band, the other eras...not so much).

HITNF was bad timing. There is a lot of filler, but the good songs on it were lined up for a long record campaign, and I think it would have succeeded at radio (remember, the first single was released in February 1997). Sign of the Times, You, The Voice Inside, and spOOL were the four singles, the latter two never getting officially released to radio, because the label went belly-up.

Had EMI not folded, I think things may have gone a lot differently with Queensryche. "Sign of the Times" was a hit on major rock radio, at least on Long Island, where I'm from. "You" followed up and was big out of the gate, and then was washed off the radio as soon as EMI took a dump. The band toured anyway, self-financing the tour, which was a big gamble in those days, and it didn't pan out. DeGarmo played a couple of shows he was contractually supposed to do with the band in Dec. 1997, but in a nutshell, after the U.S. tour ended in Aug. 1997, he was gone.

HITNF had promise. The four singles were strong -- Sign of the Times, You, The Voice Inside, spOOL. You has some silly lyrics, but musically, solid tune. Others on that record were really good too -- personal highlights of the rest for me are (in no particular order)Hero, Reach, and Hit the Black. Some people really like the ballad "Some People Fly." I think it's more of a filler track, but better than some of the others on the record for sure.

What HITNF suffered from was lack of label support, and too much filler. At best, the 14-track record is seven or eight decent tracks deep. The rest (with apologies to bosk1, who loves the DeGarmo-sung "All I Want") are really filler. And while that was sorta the point of the record (the idea was to just jam on demos, not be so structured and polished) -- to put out the tunes they worked on, but didn't over-work on, in retrospect, not a really good mix for Queensryche. Queensryche has always been a really polished band. Just not an approach that works for them.

But I don't believe anyone should dismiss HITNF outright. There are some really good tunes on the record. But it's the sound of a band morphing its sound a bit too far. Tribe, which united the original band for a handful of songs (Open, Desert Dance, Falling Behind, Doin' Fine, The Art of Life, and the post-release released cut Justified) showed a band getting back to its more layered sound, and some better riffs. But that's a story for another day...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2164 on: November 22, 2016, 11:22:18 AM »
Yeah, timing was not right.  Reach was actually the first song I heard.  It got played on local radio, despite not being designated as a "single."  I think it could have gotten the album a bit more traction if released as a single.  But as far as both the state of music and the label going under, it was just not a good time for them. 

But that isn't really the "end of the story" either.  A lot of bands have put out an album or a string of albums that went nowhere, only to come back strong.  Sometimes, it is only a one-album hiccup.  Other times, it takes the band a lot longer to find their way back.  If Tribe had been a stronger return to form (and it almost was, as the DeGarmo songs you pointed out show), or even if Mindcrime II had been what it should have been (overlooking for a moment the fact that, really, doing a sequel was probably ill advised anyway), they could very well have had a resurgence. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2165 on: November 22, 2016, 11:26:47 AM »
The loss of DeGarmo was a huge loss for them as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2166 on: November 22, 2016, 11:35:39 AM »
Agreed, bosk1. They have had opportunities. Then certain decisions derailed them.

I look at it this way:

The big break between Empire and PL was ill-advised, even if needed by the band.

PL was not the follow up to Empire that would have put them back on the map, even if the majority (not all, obviously) think of it as a quintessential QR record.

HITNF was a couple of years too late.

Once DeGarmo left, they picked the wrong guitarist and songwriter to replace him, and did a record that didn't have the dynamics QR was known for.

Tribe had a ton of potential ruined by the singer's ego, and DeGarmo not wanting to deal with that again after trying it (as the above songs mentioned showed the promise).

Tate taking over and doing Mindcrime II got them back in the spotlight, but then they didn't successfully capitalize on that. Doing American Soldier was a great idea, poorly executed, and alienated the band, who didn't write anything on it. And then it snowballed.

Even now, with La Torre replacing Tate, they failed to capitalize on momentum, preferring to play the old hits instead of the self-titled debut with La Torre, and now, only at the end of the record cycle, truly supporting Condition Human (which has its moments, but is lacking in other areas).

It's like ever since they got huge in 1990-1992, they've continually shot themselves in the foot. I just don't get it. The original lineup was an amazing creative unit, and still is. That chemistry is still there. But Tate's ego, and the band's nonchalance really, IMO, alienated DeGarmo.

As for the current band, all I can say is, I'm of the opinion DeGarmo just doesn't see enough in the current band to really want to collaborate with them. Tate isn't the singer he once was, but he is a big idea guy, even now. That, combined with Wilton's heavier riffs, DeGarmo's melodies, chord progressions, and attention to detail, really gave them something special.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2167 on: November 22, 2016, 02:55:39 PM »
I think I enjoy Tribe the most out of the post HITNF Tate albums.

When OM:2 came out, I was really digging it, but then it fell off my radar for the most part.  There are a handful of very strong songs, but they are brought down by major filler.  Murderer, Hostage, Re Arrange You are excellent songs.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2168 on: November 22, 2016, 03:18:32 PM »
I think I enjoy Tribe the most out of the post HITNF Tate albums.

When OM:2 came out, I was really digging it, but then it fell off my radar for the most part.  There are a handful of very strong songs, but they are brought down by major filler.  Murderer, Hostage, Re Arrange You are excellent songs.

They are. I prefer the demo version of Hostage meant for Tribe, because of the Wilton solo and angrier vibe shown by Tate. But agree that Murderer and Re-Arrange You are two of the highlights (my personal favs) on Mindcrime II. Killer Wilton riff in Murderer that Slater arranged.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2169 on: November 22, 2016, 03:31:06 PM »
I thought after hearing OM:2 that things were going to be turning around for the band.  I liked the direction, especially hearing actual guitar solos again.  I had seen them live in October of 2005 and the show was fantastic, Tate sounded great and I thought the band was listening to what the fans wanted.

American Soldier, while an ok record, definitely didn't wow me at all.  Tate sounded rough and the slow ending, I think three ballads to close the disc, really brought down the album.  Dead Man Words and 30,000 feet are the standouts and thats the sound that AS should have had throughout.

DTC- I'll pass on saying anything about that one lol