Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 683484 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Official Queensryche (not Geoff Tate) thread
« Reply #1085 on: April 28, 2014, 07:23:52 PM »
I agree that lyrics and concepts can be important, but put O:M's lyrics on Dedicated to Chaos and you'd still have an album no one would listen to.

I never said they were *bigger* than the music.   But some concepts deserve the 50/50 argument more than others.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #1086 on: April 28, 2014, 09:04:35 PM »
Really glad this is finally over.  Congrats to Todd and the guys! 

About the whole Mindcrime thing, I have a few thoughts about what exactly that may entail.

Original Queensryche lead singer Geoff Tate (who had formed a second version of the band) will perform, record and pursue “other creative endeavors,” but as part of the agreement will have the exclusive right to perform the concept albums “Operation: Mindcrime” and “Operation: Mindcrime II” in unique performances.

"Unique performances" is a very vague and elastic phrase.  It could mean only Tate can perform the entire album as a "set", where as the rest of the band can perform anything from the album, just not as a full "set", but depending on how the exact settlement is worded, it's also possible that the band can perform the full album "raw", i.e.  play all the songs in sequential order without the theatrics, like costume changes, story related video, etc.  If that's the case, then the settlement  may also mean that the band can perform the album in it's entirety, but they simply cannot advertise their intent to do so, unlike Tate, who can pimp his "Mindcrime" shows from now 'till Ragnarok.

Regardless, I don't think Tate is really going to get as much out of this stipulation as he thinks.  Mindcrime has been done to death, and he has proven over the past couple years that he cannot even perform it properly anymore.  If I really want to hear Geoff singing O:M in it's entirety, I have Operation: LIVEcrime for that, I don't need to waste money seeing it in concert, especially today.  And even if Todd and the guys cannot perform it in full as a set, I'm sure over the years they will perform every song off the album eventually, and I will most likely be there to hear them all. 

Besides, this is the age of Youtube.  When the band has performed all those songs live, someone will do a video of all of them with Todd in sequential order, and that will be good enough for me.   ;)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1087 on: April 28, 2014, 11:16:14 PM »
In Tate's delusional mind, he got to save a little face by being allowed to call himself "The voice of Queensryche" and getting theatrical Mindcrime, and the real band get to wash their hands clean of Tate without losing anything of real value.  Tate will be happy for a little bit until he realizes he got the short end and will find some way to weasel some headlines again.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1088 on: April 29, 2014, 06:49:02 PM »
And just so he can squeeze a bit more money out of the name while he can: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/geoff-tate-announces-queensryche-starring-geoff-tate-the-farewell-tour/
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1089 on: April 29, 2014, 07:06:12 PM »
And just so he can squeeze a bit more money out of the name while he can: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/geoff-tate-announces-queensryche-starring-geoff-tate-the-farewell-tour/

For the past several months, Geoff and his version of QUEENSRźCHE (comprised of bassist Rudy Sarzo, guitarist Robert Sarzo, guitarist Kelly Gray, drummer Simon Wright and keyboardist Randy Gane) have been performing the fan favorite on their 25th-Anniversary Mindcrime Tour (with special guest Sass Jordan as "Sister Mary") in front of sold-out audiences everywhere.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Everything else I've been reading is saying that he's been playing to half-empty venues, and even the occasional "boo-fest".     I did hear at least one insider say that Geoff himself bought out the unsold tickets of one show just so he could advertise that it was "sold out"....

This man very well could be the biggest douche in rock history.    Although I know Yngwie Malmsteen makes a good case as well.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1090 on: April 29, 2014, 07:11:02 PM »

Arghhhh.  What a mouthful of a title.  This commenter stretched it to make it even more hilarious.

How bout "Queensr˙che The Farewell Tour-Starring Geoff Tate. The Voice Of Queensr˙che. The visionary who brought you Operation: Mindcrime and Operation: Mindcrime II. The look, sound, taste and smell of Queensr˙che. The absolute dead last time Queensr˙che starring Geoff Tate "The voice of Queensr˙che" will ever perform on this the final farewell tour."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1091 on: April 29, 2014, 07:12:17 PM »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1092 on: April 30, 2014, 04:48:19 AM »

This would be all fine if he was actually pissing off from the music industry for good.  Bullshit attempt at money making.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #1093 on: April 30, 2014, 07:50:30 AM »
One thing that's really important for fans to know is that this never went to court

And why would that be, Geoff?  :-\

Also, if the settlement agreement allows for him to use this kind of poster...

...then they've fucked up. It's clearly intended to make it seem like Queensryche are splitting up (oh, and they happen to star Geoff Tate in case you'd forgotten).

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1094 on: April 30, 2014, 08:01:23 AM »
One thing that's really important for fans to know is that this never went to court

And why would that be, Geoff?  :-\

Also, if the settlement agreement allows for him to use this kind of poster...

...then they've fucked up. It's clearly intended to make it seem like Queensryche are splitting up (oh, and they happen to star Geoff Tate in case you'd forgotten).

I'm sure they approved the retirement tour of his lineup, Not entirely sure about the poster.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1095 on: April 30, 2014, 10:27:50 AM »
It clearly states that Geoff can do a last tour of his version of Queensryche. I'm sad we always get his shows but not the official Queensryche.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #1096 on: April 30, 2014, 11:32:35 AM »
I hope we can finally get our long awaited Portnoy/Tate side project, "Rejected: A marriage gone wrong" with special guest Dave Mustaine.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1097 on: April 30, 2014, 11:57:26 AM »
I hope we can finally get our long awaited Portnoy/Tate side project, "Rejected: A marriage gone wrong" with special guest Dave Mustaine.

::)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1098 on: April 30, 2014, 12:09:41 PM »

This man very well could be the biggest douche in rock history.    Although I know Yngwie Malmsteen makes a good case as well.

Those two can fight it out for 2nd place, since I still say Axl Rose has number 1 locked down.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1099 on: April 30, 2014, 12:51:54 PM »

Those two can fight it out for 2nd place, since I still say Axl Rose has number 1 locked down.

Steve Perry as well.  LOL
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1100 on: April 30, 2014, 01:54:26 PM »

Steve Perry as well.  LOL

Steve is either 3rd or 4th, in my book. I'd rank Axl just slightly under Tate though.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1101 on: April 30, 2014, 02:07:24 PM »
Steve is either 3rd or 4th, in my book. I'd rank Axl just slightly under Tate though.

Tate might like Axl being under him.
 :corn

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1102 on: April 30, 2014, 05:07:19 PM »
Damn, I was only familiar with old Queenschryche studio and live stuff. I had no idea Tate was such a douche and that his modern performances totally suck ass   :-[ (just watched a bit of the Brasil 2013 performance  :lol). I read that story of that forum, damn  :o I will check out Tate-less and real Queensryche soon.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1104 on: April 30, 2014, 07:51:47 PM »
Broke out the new album tonight.

In this light  :tup

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1105 on: April 30, 2014, 09:05:18 PM »

You know, ignoring the whole Tate thing, if you took away the context and got a better artist to make this image (i.e. get rid of the horrible photoshop of the glass breaking), that would make a pretty cool album cover on its own.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #1106 on: May 01, 2014, 01:21:10 AM »
A lawsuit resulted in a King County Superior Court ruling that each side could use the same name until the case went to trial or was settled.

“One thing that’s really important for people to understand is that this never went to court,” he said by phone after returning from a show in Louisiana.

Yeah, minus that time it went to court from opening to closing arguments with a ruling.  :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1107 on: May 01, 2014, 04:39:14 AM »
I'm going to hell for laughing so hard at this.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1108 on: May 05, 2014, 09:00:41 AM »
Press release regarding the settlement and the state of the band moving forward (from the Queensryche Face Book page):

FULL PRESS RELEASE: A Reinvigorated Queensr˙che Starts the Writing Process for Their New Album, Tentatively Due Early Summer 2015 via Century Media Records:

With the Queensr˙che canvas wiped completely clean and the band’s easel the strongest and most stable it’s been in years, Eddie Jackson, Todd LaTorre, Parker Lundgren, Scott Rockenfield and Michael Wilton forge ahead to create yet another QR masterpiece. The band has already begun writing new material for the follow up to their critically acclaimed self-titled 2013 Century Media Records release, Queensr˙che. The new album is tentatively scheduled for release in early summer 2015.

"The Queensr˙che internal dynamic has certainly changed in terms of musicianship. It’s more of a cohesive team and the chemistry we have now is making what we can do creatively limitless. For Queensr˙che, it was always about being able to write together as a band. We didn’t have that for a long time but now that it’s back, we feel extremely liberated,” states founding guitarist Michael Wilton. "We’ve already begun the writing process for the next album and have a few songs demoed that we feel really good about. We’re taking the songs in the classic Queensr˙che direction but maybe a little more progressive and heavier at times. The thing is, you never know what you really have until it’s complete. We can’t wait for the final outcome. Writing with such a dynamic group of individuals has been nothing short of amazing."

Queensr˙che recently reached a settlement in their dispute over the ownership of the Queensr˙che name and brand. Century Media is pleased to announce that Eddie Jackson, Scott Rockenfield and Michael Wilton have successfully agreed to purchase Geoff Tate’s portion of the Queensr˙che name. The band will buy out their former lead singer’s share of the Queensr˙che corporation while allowing him the ability to be the only one to perform Operation: Mindcrime and Operation: Mindcrime II in their entirety. He will no longer have use of the TriRyche logo or any other album images aside from the Mindcrime releases. He can only refer to himself as the “Original Lead Singer of Queensr˙che or “Formerly of Queensr˙che" for a period of two years and that text must be at least 50% smaller than his name in all materials. After this two year period passes, he can only refer to himself as Geoff Tate with no mention of Queensr˙che at all. Geoff Tate will be able to finish any confirmed dates billed for his Queensr˙che lineup scheduled to terminate on August 31st, 2014. As of September 1st, there will be only one Queensr˙che entity and that will consist of Eddie Jackson, Todd LaTorre, Parker Lundgren, Scott Rockenfield and Michael Wilton. This lineup will continue to perform selections from their entire musical catalog including songs from Operation: Mindcrime. The band will be able to use all TriRyche logos and previous album artwork for any purposes as needed by the corporation.

Queensr˙che is:

Todd La Torre - Vocals
 Michael Wilton - Guitars
 Parker Lundgren - Guitars
 Eddie Jackson - Bass
 Scott Rockenfield - Drums
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Hayden

« Reply #1109 on: May 05, 2014, 09:09:46 AM »
"[Tate] can only refer to himself as the “Original Lead Singer of Queensr˙che or “Formerly of Queensr˙che" for a period of two years and that text must be at least 50% smaller than his name in all materials."

Well.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
That sounds about 81% fair.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #1111 on: May 05, 2014, 10:09:39 AM »
"[Tate] can only refer to himself as the “Original Lead Singer of Queensr˙che or “Formerly of Queensr˙che" for a period of two years and that text must be at least 50% smaller than his name in all materials."

Well.

It may be referring to how he was advertising before. Which was indicating that he was part of queensryche still and it was the original band. Anyone can do a fair well tour and star in it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1112 on: May 05, 2014, 11:49:04 AM »
In Tate's delusional mind, he got to save a little face by being allowed to call himself "The voice of Queensryche" and getting theatrical Mindcrime, and the real band get to wash their hands clean of Tate without losing anything of real value.  Tate will be happy for a little bit until he realizes he got the short end and will find some way to weasel some headlines again.

This was my thought.  Queensryche essentially gave up nothing.  They're never going to play ANYTHING from OM2, and I don't know why they'd ever want to do OM in it's entirety.  Why take up over 50% of a show with one album?  Let Tate have that.  The only thing I wish they hadn't conceded was allowing him to use Queensryche at all.  If anything, it should've been the 'Original' voice of Queensryche (or 'Founding' or something like that).  He's not the voice of Queensryche.

I agree that lyrics and concepts can be important, but put O:M's lyrics on Dedicated to Chaos and you'd still have an album no one would listen to.

Well said.

Excited to hear a new album.  I spun QR last night, and damn it's good.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I wish we had some definitive statement like that regarding DT & MP.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Even though the DT/MP split was not on the friendliest of scales, it probably paled in comparison to the acrimony that exists between Queensryche and Tate, so there was no need for a statement from DT.  Had Portnoy gone through with the lawsuit he briefly considered, it likely would have gotten ugly and more public, and a statement probably would have eventually come out about a settlement, but since they settled it (relatively) amicably and privately, there was no need.

This was my thought.  Queensryche essentially gave up nothing.  They're never going to play ANYTHING from OM2, and I don't know why they'd ever want to do OM in it's entirety.  Why take up over 50% of a show with one album?  Let Tate have that.  The only thing I wish they hadn't conceded was allowing him to use Queensryche at all.  If anything, it should've been the 'Original' voice of Queensryche (or 'Founding' or something like that).  He's not the voice of Queensryche.

That was a concession they probably had to make.  You can't get everything you want in a split like this, and the band still won this in a big way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Even though the DT/MP split was not on the friendliest of scales, it probably paled in comparison to the acrimony that exists between Queensryche and Tate, so there was no need for a statement from DT.  Had Portnoy gone through with the lawsuit he briefly considered, it likely would have gotten ugly and more public, and a statement probably would have eventually come out about a settlement, but since they settled it (relatively) amicably and privately, there was no need.

Well that is all accurate, but more importantly, Mike Portnoy did not go out and form a band claiming to be Dream Theater.  Whatever people may not have liked about the split, this was NOT a case where Mike had tarnished the band's legacy and was actively trying to create confusion about which of two bands is the real Dream Theater.  It has been crystal clear from day 1 that Dream Theater is continuing as a viable entity and that Mike is pursuing various other interests that are NOT Dream Theater.  There really is no comparison between Queensryche's situation and Dream Theater's. 

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
Imagine if MP did try to form a DT knockoff band! lol

They would have to play all of the easy stuff because I doubt any good musician would step into that pile.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Well that is all accurate, but more importantly, Mike Portnoy did not go out and form a band claiming to be Dream Theater.  Whatever people may not have liked about the split, this was NOT a case where Mike had tarnished the band's legacy and was actively trying to create confusion about which of two bands is the real Dream Theater.  It has been crystal clear from day 1 that Dream Theater is continuing as a viable entity and that Mike is pursuing various other interests that are NOT Dream Theater.  There really is no comparison between Queensryche's situation and Dream Theater's.

Very true.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Obviously. It's just me being nosey.

Queensryche's purpose for the statement was all about drawing a distinction on the name of the band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I'm pretty sure all the DT Clone Prog Metal bands out there can play DT's stuff. In fact, they should all just be tribute bands cause most of the ones I've heard can't write for shit, but they can play like no one else.