Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 683462 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #2730 on: February 23, 2018, 09:34:17 AM »
Well, I see nothing wrong with how Todd responded. I see nothing wrong with him not wanting to say. He's likely annoyed by all the posts/comments asking that very same question, when he said all he could or all he wants to say. The way I can tell is him starting with "for the 100th time." Yet fans still ask about the drummer situation and wheter Scotts out.

They have no obligation to tell us at all. They could release the album with no credits, then no one will know.

You are 100 percent correct. They have absolutely no obligation whatsoever. And I don't blame Todd for getting annoyed. I think my point is, the annoyance could be avoided, and fans could be placated, if he stopped sidestepping the question. He dances around it.

If he just said "so and so is playing on the record," or "hey, yeah, I know you guys are really concerned about who is drumming, but for various behind the scenes reasons, we can't say anything yet," it would help to an extent. But they continue to try and avoid it, instead of just answering the question.

Honestly, I don't think anyone would care TOO much, if he said:

"Hey, yeah, I know you all are frustrated with the whole drumming question. We just can't say anything yet about it. I know that sucks, but our hands are tied at the moment. Please be patient with us, and as soon as we can say what is up, we will."

>>>At least then they are tackling it head-on, instead of just avoiding it.

Edit - my guess, based on it all, and Todd saying it wasn't Casey on the album, is that Todd tracked the drums, and they want to avoid anyone knowing that until the album drops, to avoid any potential hit to the record's first week sales. Hate to break it to him, but that never works.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2731 on: February 23, 2018, 09:45:48 AM »
Well, I see nothing wrong with how Todd responded. I see nothing wrong with him not wanting to say. He's likely annoyed by all the posts/comments asking that very same question, when he said all he could or all he wants to say. The way I can tell is him starting with "for the 100th time." Yet fans still ask about the drummer situation and wheter Scotts out.

They have no obligation to tell us at all. They could release the album with no credits, then no one will know.

You are 100 percent correct. They have absolutely no obligation whatsoever. And I don't blame Todd for getting annoyed. I think my point is, the annoyance could be avoided, and fans could be placated, if he stopped sidestepping the question. He dances around it.

If he just said "so and so is playing on the record," or "hey, yeah, I know you guys are really concerned about who is drumming, but for various behind the scenes reasons, we can't say anything yet," it would help to an extent. But they continue to try and avoid it, instead of just answering the question.

"Hey, yeah, I know you all are frustrated with the whole drumming question. We just can't say anything yet about it. I know that sucks, but our hands are tied at the moment. Please be patient with us, and as soon as we can say what is up, we will."

>>>At least then they are tackling it head-on, instead of just avoiding it.

Edit - my guess, based on it all, and Todd saying it wasn't Casey on the album, is that Todd tracked the drums, and they want to avoid anyone knowing that until the album drops, to avoid any potential hit to the record's first week sales. Hate to break it to him, but that never works.  :lol

Of course not, but people could just take what they say for now and leave it at that.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2732 on: February 23, 2018, 09:51:21 AM »
That's not at all realistic, and you know it. Particularly when people are asking direct questions.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2733 on: February 23, 2018, 09:53:33 AM »
Yeah, in the age of social media, people feel they are entitled to answers.  And they feel they are entitled to them immediately.  Whether that is right or wrong doesn't really matter.  The point is, that is the expectation.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setzer

• Queensr˙che Aficionado
« Reply #2734 on: February 23, 2018, 09:59:39 AM »
The "issue" with their answers so far, is that they leave more questions to be asked.
I'm guessing they're laying down their own stuff, and are simply waiting for Scott to return and lay down some mean drums. But again, if that is the case, why not just say it outright :corn

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2735 on: February 23, 2018, 10:16:14 AM »
The "issue" with their answers so far, is that they leave more questions to be asked.
I'm guessing they're laying down their own stuff, and are simply waiting for Scott to return and lay down some mean drums. But again, if that is the case, why not just say it outright :corn

The band has confirmed on their Facebook page that the only tracking left is vocals and guitar solos.  Drums are already done.  The fans get that he doesn't want to tour - I hate being away from my kids too (though a professional musician with only weekend fly-in gigs or the occasional 5-7 day cruise can certainly manage being a dad and working).  But it's not hard to be up front and say "hey, we're in the studio, here's the situation."  So many bands have lineup or recording lineup changes and address them before the album is released.  Yeah it sucks, but fans appreciate honesty more than having the wool pulled over their eyes by their favorite band.  Which Queensryche has done many times before in hiding songwriting credits and session musicians.  Tate's been gone six years, and they go back to this behavior?   :facepalm:

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2736 on: February 23, 2018, 10:18:46 AM »
Yeah, in the age of social media, people feel they are entitled to answers.  And they feel they are entitled to them immediately.  Whether that is right or wrong doesn't really matter.  The point is, that is the expectation.

Can you please explain further?

You have 5 minutes or I will complain about you on another forum.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2737 on: February 23, 2018, 10:25:49 AM »

:lol

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2738 on: February 23, 2018, 10:33:29 AM »

:lol  I'll meet you in your kitchen.  (I will be opening for Sons of Apollo)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2739 on: February 23, 2018, 11:19:26 AM »

:lol  I'll meet you in your kitchen.  (I will be opening for Sons of Apollo)

Awesome, I will be there!!

After the show.

:)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2740 on: February 23, 2018, 11:21:01 AM »
Sorry, I don't see your name on the guest list for the after show party.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #2741 on: February 23, 2018, 11:40:54 AM »
It seems that something is up with Scott. Maybe it's something to do with a life change such as having a child. Maybe he can't decide if he wants to keep doing the music thing anymore. He's 54 with a newborn. That's later in life to have a kid. Maybe he's looking at life through a bigger lens since he has a son. You can miss a lot in the first 2 years of a child's life and if you're not there because of work, you may live with a lot of regrets.

I wouldn't think that there are problems with Scott and the rest of the QR camp.

This is a lot of speculation on my part.

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #2742 on: February 23, 2018, 12:54:32 PM »
I don't like the whole secrecy thing, it's not good. Its a bad move and one that is not Todd's fault but the fallout and annoyance of this all has to be a royal pain in the fucking ass at this point for management and the other band members.

Scott needs to address this publicly and shit or get of the pot pretty much to save the rest of the band from all this horseshit, that is my assessment.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2743 on: February 23, 2018, 01:25:49 PM »
Wow. You'd think after all the crap with Tate they'd be a pretty chill band, but they can't even announce the status of their drummer.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2744 on: February 23, 2018, 01:45:09 PM »
Well, if they can't, they can't.  We don't know why.  But, again, all they have to do is say, "We can't say what is going on right now.  Just please be patient, and we'll let me know when we can."  That would go a long way in placating folks.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2745 on: February 23, 2018, 01:48:18 PM »
Well, if they can't, they can't.  We don't know why.  But, again, all they have to do is say, "We can't say what is going on right now.  Just please be patient, and we'll let me know when we can."  That would go a long way in placating folks.
Exactly.  That's all any band really needs to do in a situation like this.  Most people will understand, especially if that follow that up with updates when they can, or even just to repeat the same thing if they have to while they're getting it all sorted out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2746 on: February 23, 2018, 01:57:15 PM »

THIS!
It's nothing but reasonable. This band should feel lucky it actually still has people interested in them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #2748 on: February 23, 2018, 03:14:22 PM »
that article is just a condensed version of Todd's facebook comments  :lol

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2749 on: February 23, 2018, 03:41:47 PM »
if Scott is indeed doing the drums on the new album its not hard to come out and say, "Scott is playing drums on the new album." 

Hence, he is not. 

And it sucks.

Yesterday, some guy was asking Todd on his FB wall about the drummer situation, and why QR hasn't come out and said anything about who it is. The guy was respectful, but said without Scott, he wouldn't consider it Queensryche. I mean, a lot of fans said that after Chris left, and again when Geoff was canned, so it is a common reaction.

Todd replied calling out the fan, and asking them about whether he considers mindcrime 2, American soldier, and dedicated to chaos queensryche records. The guy said he didn't. Todd then smugly replied that it was "good to know, cuz yeah, Scott didn't play on OMC2, and those songs had outside players and writers."

Yeah, that last part annoyed me too. Mainly because it's a total non-sequitur to what the guy asked. My guess is that if he said "yes", then Todd would've responded something like "so why is it QR when he doesn't play on those albums but not when doesn't play on the new one", but he didn't, so that reply ended up making absolutely no sense.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2750 on: February 24, 2018, 04:34:59 PM »
I'm trying to get into Promised Land but I'm not feeling it. It's.. dare I say, boring. I got up through the title track and just stopped, it lacks all the energy and memorability that I loved about RFO and O:M. Empire at least had some interesting musical stuff going on and some energy, Promised Land feels like a hazy comedown from a night of partying, complete with the lack of energy and plodding, overly lengthy tracks. Those are my initial impressions, and I'll keep giving it a shot until hopefully it clicks, but I'm disappointed so far.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2751 on: February 24, 2018, 04:39:13 PM »
if Scott is indeed doing the drums on the new album its not hard to come out and say, "Scott is playing drums on the new album." 

Hence, he is not. 

And it sucks.

Yesterday, some guy was asking Todd on his FB wall about the drummer situation, and why QR hasn't come out and said anything about who it is. The guy was respectful, but said without Scott, he wouldn't consider it Queensryche. I mean, a lot of fans said that after Chris left, and again when Geoff was canned, so it is a common reaction.

Todd replied calling out the fan, and asking them about whether he considers mindcrime 2, American soldier, and dedicated to chaos queensryche records. The guy said he didn't. Todd then smugly replied that it was "good to know, cuz yeah, Scott didn't play on OMC2, and those songs had outside players and writers."

Yeah, that last part annoyed me too. Mainly because it's a total non-sequitur to what the guy asked. My guess is that if he said "yes", then Todd would've responded something like "so why is it QR when he doesn't play on those albums but not when doesn't play on the new one", but he didn't, so that reply ended up making absolutely no sense.

Actually, if I could add on to this point, bringing up AS & DTC makes even less sense because Scott DID play on those albums. There's no other session drummer credited. The only album Scott didn't play on was OM2.

In fact, Scott has more writing credits on DTC than on the first four albums combined, so how is this argument even supposed to work?  :facepalm:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2752 on: February 25, 2018, 03:35:44 AM »
I'm trying to get into Promised Land but I'm not feeling it. It's.. dare I say, boring. I got up through the title track and just stopped, it lacks all the energy and memorability that I loved about RFO and O:M. Empire at least had some interesting musical stuff going on and some energy, Promised Land feels like a hazy comedown from a night of partying, complete with the lack of energy and plodding, overly lengthy tracks. Those are my initial impressions, and I'll keep giving it a shot until hopefully it clicks, but I'm disappointed so far.
Don't worry. It took me seven years to really love it.  :lol

Offline Cintus Supremus

« Reply #2753 on: February 25, 2018, 06:08:57 AM »
Promised Land feels like a hazy comedown from a night of partying, complete with the lack of energy and plodding, overly lengthy tracks.

This is the most apt description of Promised Land I have ever read. I applaud your brevity, sir.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2754 on: February 25, 2018, 09:00:46 AM »

When I first heard the album, when I was 18, I hated it. I shelved it for weeks. Then one night, just hanging by myself, I put on the headphones and laid back with it, and it clicked for me. It's a record about the dark side of success, and what happens after reaching your goals. If it helps, the context of the record at the time is -- Tate got divorced right after Empire, during those years, rumor has it DeGarmo helped keep a roof over his head. The lyrics depict his self-reflection. Chris' lyrics play into that as well, talking about how his father (who abandoned his family when Chris was young) tried to reconnect with Chris after he was successful, and some other stuff.

The title track really is the song that puts it all together. Just like how Suite Sister Mary was the climax of Mindcrime, the song Promised Land serves the same purpose. PL isn't a concept album, but it plays out like one to a degree.

Some folks have said you need to have some years behind you until you fully appreciate the album. I don't necessarily agree with that, but you certainly need to listen to it with the proper context. Next time you give it a try, make sure it is with headphones, read the lyrics, and just avoid distraction. And as you read and listen, remember what I said above about what was going on at the time (band member divorces, failed investments, questioning of what was sacrificed to succeed, etc.).

After a while, it'll obviously click with you, or it won't. But give it some time.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2755 on: February 25, 2018, 09:19:20 AM »
Promised Land remains perhaps the shining example of my persistence as a music listener paying off in spades.

The first time I heard it, I was like, "What in the hell is this?"  All I knew by them at that point was Empire and Mindcrime, and this was totally different from both the mainstream hard rock of Empire and the conceptual metal of Mindcrime. It was...weird.

But I kept at it, and every listen brought forth a few more things I liked.  A riff here, a melody line there.  Those little things were catching my ears enough to keep bringing me back, in search of new things that might grab me the next time.

And then is was like one day, the light bulb went on, and the album went from this weird thing with things I like dotted randomly all over the place to "holy crap, this really is incredible."  It was like going from 0 to 90 MPH in the blink of an eye.

To this day, it remains one of my 20-25 favorite albums ever.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2756 on: February 25, 2018, 09:26:55 AM »
Still don’t get the hate for PL. 

But then again, I always resented Empire.   When OMC hit the big time, I thought “FINALLY!! A band that is complex and cerebral is going to bring a new level of musical appreciation to the masses!!”  Then I heard Jet City Woman and just facepalmed.   Still hate that song and Another Rainy Night.  Empire would have been so much better without them because I really did grow to appreciate most of the rest of the album.

So when I Am I first hit, I was STUNNED.  I instantly loved it.   I had never heard something so freaked out and “anti pop” being played all over MTV.   I thought sure the underground prog fans would rise to support it, and I was baffled by everyone else being baffled about it. 

Ive said it before, and I’ll say it again.   Promised Land was “Rage for Order with a budget”...  To me it came across as “We got paid for Empire, so we could have the freedom to record a REAL Queensryche record!”  Still love that album.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2757 on: February 25, 2018, 09:41:40 AM »
Thank you, Cintus Supremus  :lol

Interesting to read everyone's thoughts on Promised Land. Seems like one of those albums that simply needs to 'click' and requires the right mood, environment, and focus. For what it's worth I had it on while I was doing dishes and some other household chores so I guess that didn't help. Lately my ritual is sitting in my 'music room' and turning up my new speakers loudly so I'll try that with Promised Land later today, after I get through all the records I bought yesterday.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2758 on: February 25, 2018, 11:41:43 AM »
I love Promised Land, but do understand why some might not.  It has a completely different feel from the albums that came before it.  I liked most of it right away, with some tracks having to grow on me, but it was the first QR album I heard, so that may have helped.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2759 on: February 25, 2018, 11:56:09 AM »
It's totally okay to consider PL just as a solid QR record with a few clunkers on it, because that's what it is for me. And believe me I have tried to get into it, it just isn't for me.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2760 on: February 25, 2018, 12:55:28 PM »
Then I heard Jet City Woman and just facepalmed.   Still hate that song...

So being from Seattle like me I am sure you heard that song on KISW like a billion times. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #2761 on: February 25, 2018, 02:44:02 PM »
1 billion sounds about right.  Now I would kill to have KISW play it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2762 on: February 25, 2018, 03:57:23 PM »

Ive said it before, and I’ll say it again.   Promised Land was “Rage for Order with a budget”...  To me it came across as “We got paid for Empire, so we could have the freedom to record a REAL Queensryche record!”  Still love that album.

WUT??

Rage was visionary and experimental. PL was anything but. Sam talks about the band strife, and so that surely explains why the album is so disjointed and lacking of any passion, save for a moment here and there.

PL is a band that has lost the plot.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2763 on: February 25, 2018, 04:09:15 PM »
I love PL, but it didn't really click with me until I saw the live show for that tour.  Now it's tied with O:M as my favorite QR album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2764 on: February 25, 2018, 04:11:24 PM »
I saw the tour and it was awesome. Out Of Mind, and the title track were much better live than the album.