Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 691746 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #2625 on: August 28, 2017, 02:39:15 PM »
I have no desire to see Tate in Queensryche AND I have no desire to see Mindcrime again.  And let's face it, I can give that Tate sounded decent on those clips that were just shown.  But that was downtuned, and he did NOT sound "great" on anything I heard.  How would he sound doing all of Mindcrime as part of a larger set of QR material?  No thanks.  But as much as Mindcrime has been done to death over the years, and as much as I don't care to see a reunion, even if it is for a tour, I would go see something like this if it were realistic (but I do not see that it could be):  A small string of dates where the current lineup of Queensryche plays a full set, and then the entire original lineup (Tate and DeGarmo) play Mindcrime, and then maybe the combined lineup for an encore.

We disagree on the quality of what was in those clips. You might not have the ability to listen to the entire thing with the volume up, but you should. Yes, it is downtuned, but it has been since 1999. The quality of Tate's voice is up, and he really did well here. Your reaction was mine at first...until I cranked it up and listened closely.

As for your tour idea -- to be honest, bosk1, I think there would be too many egos involved for something like that. But hey, stranger things have happened.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2626 on: August 28, 2017, 02:48:27 PM »
Yeah, as I said, I don't believe it is realistic.  Just throwing out there what it would probably take to get me to a show.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #2627 on: August 28, 2017, 03:00:55 PM »
Very good point Bosk, How can anyone think now that the band is used to playing everything back at pretty much full speed again for the last five years that it could possibly workout with Tate being able to handle that over multiple shows and a full show of Mindcrime plus the rest of a full show.

Then you factor in that the general perception is, that quite a lot, if not most CURRENT fans are happy with the current lineup as is, and the fact that Mindcrime has already been milked so many times and he (Tate) even continues to milk and play a good portion of the album, and Queensryche currently plays some of those songs. Is there any chance that at this stage of the game, given all of those factors, that there could possibly even be a demand for such a thing? would there really be any significant upgrade of a payday for this at this stage? I personally don't see it. As you mentioned bosk, the factor of, could Tate hold up doing it night after night in a long set??? ...... Lets turn our attention now to Chris DeGarmo.

Chris DeGarmo obviously has no desire to be back out on the road and back in the band or that would have happened years ago, when it had the opportunity to happen (Tribe) or it would have happened after the band split and Tate was gone, or maybe it would have happened after he waited to see if the band could even survive with Todd and see how that situation panned out. It didn't happen. That tells me that it never will happen. Now lets just suppose he's got a little itch.. Hey "One More Time Around" a nice short tour of the original lineup doing Mindcrime and some hits and that closes my book on Queensryche. Well this guy hasn't played live in how long? this guy has been out of action for how many years other than goofing off a little bit with his daughter's project, I highly doubt he prances around the house in his pajamas and night cap, guitar in hand playing Queensryche songs all night before going to work in the morning to fly his planes. What makes anybody think that he can just jump right back on stage and play those songs at this point any better than Parker, who has studied them immensely and worked with Michael on them full time now for what's it been eight years or so now?

So the only justification to the fact would be for nostalgia, because there really is no other quality factor or anything new that such a situation would bring to the table. I thought some people were already complaining about things turning into a nostalgia situation, which in my opinion it isn't because regardless of how many new songs are in their set list they still are at least recording quality new music. If the argument that people don't want them being more of a nostalgia act, if that holds water than it would be the stupidest thing for the band to do is go off track and do a reunion that would be lackluster, awkward, uncomfortable and not in the least enjoyable for the members. Sometimes that extra couple dollars isn't worth it, ask Skid Row. In the case of Skid Row, there might be a significant better pay day for them to suck it up with Bach and do a reunion. Queensryche with Geoff and even DeGarmo, considering all the aforementioned I don't think the payday upgrade would be a very significant one.   

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2628 on: August 28, 2017, 03:39:30 PM »
Yeah, as I said, I don't believe it is realistic.  Just throwing out there what it would probably take to get me to a show.

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm curious to see what happens next year with all  them. Apparently QR has plans to record a new record. I wonder if Scott will actually lay down the tracks, or if Casey Grillo of Kamelot will. And if Scott really will return, like they've said he will. Then, of course, you have the Tate "reunion" with the QR guys in Europe, Tate's improved singing, the 30th Anniversary of Operation: Mindcrime, the third part of Tate's supposed trilogy being released, and then TLT's solo record. It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out and where we are at this time next year.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2629 on: August 28, 2017, 03:57:08 PM »
I am so over Tate it's not even worth discussing.  It's been discussed to death.  It's over.  However, if DeGarmo ever came back (as unlikely as that may be), that would be quite interesting.  Although, the band is firing all cylinders right now.  Should probably leave well enough alone.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2630 on: August 28, 2017, 05:11:35 PM »
Count me in as having ZERO interest on getting back with Tate.  In fact, my renewed interest in the band would fall off the table. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2631 on: August 29, 2017, 01:42:02 AM »
As for that 30th anniversary tour being with Queesryche, No Thanks. Hopefully this upcoming new Queensryche album with Todd will cement that in stone and bury that idea. I don't want him anywhere near Queensryche again, as I could see that ultimately being the end of the band and that would be very unfortunate as they finally have found their way again releasing quality material and putting on energetic and heavy shows once more and ENJOYING IT, not just going through the motions like they had with Geoff for those last several years.

Operation Mindcrime has been done to death, I for one really don't even feel the necessity of having it done in it's entirety yet again to begin with. It's not like it hasn't been done in several years, at this point it is no longer a special occasion, it has been milked to death five times over. If Geoff and his band want to do it, that's great. let him do it by himself. I would go see it. I don't need to see him back with Queensryche for so much as a short special tour at this point. A definitive NO THANKS!  :biggrin:       

Couldn't have said it better, please no Tate back in QR, just keep releasing good music with Todd. And I wouldn't even consider watching Tate's band perform Operation Mindcrime.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline t-bone2112

« Reply #2632 on: September 02, 2017, 06:56:34 PM »
Just saw QR last night in Walla Walla Washington at the County Fair.  90 minute show at a pretty small stage with a standing crowd, no seats. It allowed me to easily work my way up quite close to the front.

They sounded quite good, and I liked the song selection.  Played off the EP (Queen of the Reich), a couple (I think) off of the Warning, a couple off of Rage, 5 off of Mindcrime(!), 2 off of Empire and Damaged off of Promised land.  Opened with a song off of Condition Human (I got there at the tail end of the song and forget which song).

Instruments all sounded good, Casey Grillo filled in for Scott on drums who is on paternity leave, he did a pretty good job, but I really missed Scott.  Eddy sounded really good last night, and Todd did a great job with the vocals and fronting the band.  Kept thanking us for being there and was quite engaging.  Michael sounded great all night.  Parker did a good job and sounded good.

Really glad I went, had a great time.

Thanks guys for coming to Walla Walla!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2633 on: September 03, 2017, 04:18:00 AM »
Well, if they choose to play only one song from Promised land, Damaged is the way to go. My favorite Queensryche tune, the riff underneath the verses is one of the best riffs I've ever heard.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2634 on: January 16, 2018, 07:50:57 AM »
the band is currently in the studio putting together a new album.

However.........not sure if Scott is going to be a part of the album or not.  Any questions brought up on QR's Facebook are going ignored.  If Scott isn't coming back then what is the point?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2635 on: January 16, 2018, 11:57:39 AM »
I did some googling and found this from December 14: https://www.facebook.com/requiemrock/photos/a.159818904055118.28727.133780499992292/1535471093156552/?type=3&theater
REQUIEM WORKING WITH FIVE-TIME GRAMMY NOMINATED PRODUCER SCOTT ROCKENFIELD OF QUEENSRYCHE ON SECOND FULL-LENGTH ALBUM.
It doesn't mention how far they're into the making of that album though, so maybe Scott had finished his drum tracks for the new QR (assuming he does play on it) by the time he started working on this.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2636 on: January 16, 2018, 01:10:48 PM »
the band is currently in the studio putting together a new album.

Hurray!  Another future missed opportunity in the making! 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #2637 on: January 16, 2018, 01:50:40 PM »

There's the answer I guess...No Scott :(

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2638 on: January 16, 2018, 08:02:54 PM »
Now I'm officially a bit worried about if Scott is really still in the band. To miss some shows, even a tour, it's one thing, but not recording a new album maybe it's a bit too much... Hoping for the best. Anyway, I'm already missing him in this album. He seemed so recharged  with Todd in the band! The last 2 records has some of the best and energetic drumming in the entire Queensryche discography IMO and Scott has such a recognizable style!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2639 on: January 17, 2018, 05:43:41 AM »
Now I'm officially a bit worried about if Scott is really still in the band. To miss some shows, even a tour, it's one thing, but not recording a new album maybe it's a bit too much... Hoping for the best. Anyway, I'm already missing him in this album. He seemed so recharged  with Todd in the band! The last 2 records has some of the best and energetic drumming in the entire Queensryche discography IMO and Scott has such a recognizable style!
Yeah, not having your permanent drummer play on your own album is a really weird arrangement (unless it's health-related like in Nightwish's case), especially when Scott has been working on another band's record as a producer lately. Did the guys not want to wait for him or has he stopped caring about QR? It's a pity if he leaves, because while Casey Grillo sounds alright on the YT videos I've checked out, he leaves out some of Scott's signature fills completely.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2640 on: January 17, 2018, 06:25:25 AM »
This is kinda strange. I would imagine that recording drums in the studio could be arranged timewise, even if you are on paternal leave.

Maybe MP could offer his services  :biggrin:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2641 on: January 17, 2018, 01:22:33 PM »
You’re right to make that green...but only because I think they would never ask. If the offer were extended (and if he had a window in his schedule), I’d bet MP would love to do it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2642 on: January 17, 2018, 01:50:09 PM »
I believe Scott has his own studio so he could still record his drum tracks or had previously recorded them.

Another scenario would be that he wrote and composed most of the songs and wanted to take a step back a bit (which wouldn't make sense). 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2643 on: January 17, 2018, 02:20:08 PM »
I'd likely not even check out the next Queensryche album if Scott is not on it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #2644 on: January 17, 2018, 05:02:55 PM »
I know most people think Tate is a tool but have they done anything good other than find a good copycat singer since the split? I haven't been following closely enough or really been interested from what I heard. I actually like tribe and thought they were finally starting to evolve...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2645 on: January 17, 2018, 05:10:08 PM »
I know most people think Tate is a tool but have they done anything good other than find a good copycat singer since the split? I haven't been following closely enough or really been interested from what I heard. I actually like tribe and thought they were finally starting to evolve...
Not sure about the copycat singer.  But I do know they hired Todd, who is a fantastic singer.  And they have put out two spectacularly good albums.  What they have NOT done is seriously promote their new material or take any kind of initiative to capitalize on their situation and reinvigorate the fan base. 

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #2646 on: January 17, 2018, 11:43:15 PM »
Agreed Bosk (except for those last four words, which I'll elaborate on in a minute), I don't know how anybody who was a fan of this band and stuck around, even a little bit, after Promised Land and up through the years until the split with Tate cannot listen to the last two records and see a miraculous improvement over everything from HITNF forward. That is mind boggling to me. Maybe it only appeals to some of us, I don't know. I can't explain it.

I get it, some people just won't accept a new singer and change. But the songs on the last two records are so much stronger, vocally and musically than anything this band has done in years, YEARS!.

I understand the promotion wasn't what it could have been with these last two records and I guess I kind of agree with that. Initiative and capitalization are questionable. They did jump on the Scorpions tour leg, They went out with Armored Saint, They've done M3, they've done cruises. You can't say they haven't tried in some ways.

That brings me to my point, regarding your last four words (Reinvigorate the fan base) I think they have. I think they have totally reinvigorated the fan base.......What fan base is left. Which is a whole other topic. Those who want Geoff back need to realize that he was a major reason the fan base went away during those lean years with his ideals and directions of the last several albums and his outside writers and not wanting to play metal and play more contemporary stuff and exclude certain band members in the creative process and have his family run the show all the while his vocals declining. Something to be said of that.

In addition, fan base? this band never really had all that big of fan base, except for a few years on the back end of Mindcrime (after the fact, post release) and Empire. Then the long hiatus and change in the music tastes at the time (grunge) halved that swollen fan base for Promised Land. After that with DeGarmo's mostly DUD of an album HITNF only the die hard fans were left again, the fan base pre Mindcrime, I guess you would say...hanging on hoping for a return to form and that hanging on hoping in my opinion, except for a few great moments here and there over the years with each album release, pretty much lasted all the way up until the Self Titled album was released.

Most people that I know, except music/metal heads, have never even heard of this band. So yeah, I would argue that have certainly reinvigorated the fan base that still pays attention. 

I would love them to play more new stuff live like most people, but if they're only going to play fifteen songs and seventy minute sets, I guess I can understand wanting to play it safe and only play three or four new songs. It sucks, but I guess I understand.               

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2647 on: January 18, 2018, 06:38:15 AM »
You make some very good points.  But what I mean is this:  While you are right that they certainly have done some good things, they have also dropped quite a few balls too.  They have had some opportunities they have just let fall by the wayside.  And in terms of actual promotion of the new material and marketing the band, other than being on the road, they really haven't done what they could have.  They missed key landmark album anniversaries.  They have shied away from playing much new material or doing anything else to actively promote the new material.  Hey, I won't begrudge them one bit for resigning themselves to being mostly a nostalgia act nowadays.  If they want to emphasize the older material because that puts butts in seats, I get it and don't begrudge that.  From a business standpoint, I think that is the right move.  Same thing when it comes to reliving the '80s "glory days" by touring with "hair metal" bands if that gets ticket sales and gets them back on people's minds.  But they can't just keep playing the same sets over and over and over, tour after tour, hide from their new material, and expect people to keep coming out to see them.  I think they are nearing the end of any fan goodwill when it comes to concert attendance because both the casual fan as well as those who actively follow them have no reason to believe there will be anything new to see that hasn't been done.  They have basically been doing the same "return to history" show since Rising West.  And while it was cool as an initial tour, they also need to let people know they still have something to say musically.  The casual fan might mostly want to hear the classics.  And that's fine.  That is MOST of the people who will come see a show.  But those same people won't come see the same show 2, 3, or 4 consecutive tour legs.  Change things up a bit and sprinkle in more new material so that the casual fans at least know the band is actively doing something, and they get more tickets and albums sold. 

Agreed Bosk (except for those last four words, which I'll elaborate on in a minute), I don't know how anybody who was a fan of this band and stuck around, even a little bit, after Promised Land and up through the years until the split with Tate cannot listen to the last two records and see a miraculous improvement over everything from HITNF forward. That is mind boggling to me.

I will double down on this and say that the new material, especially the last album, stands right up there with the classic material.  Personally, I put Condition Human in my top 4 with Mindcrime, Empire, and PL.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2648 on: January 19, 2018, 06:54:41 PM »
I'd likely not even check out the next Queensryche album if Scott is not on it.

I wouldn't even bother if Mike (Portnoy) played on it, but I've been indifferent for almost 15 years now.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2649 on: January 22, 2018, 12:47:07 PM »
As for that 30th anniversary tour being with Queesryche, No Thanks. Hopefully this upcoming new Queensryche album with Todd will cement that in stone and bury that idea. I don't want him anywhere near Queensryche again, as I could see that ultimately being the end of the band and that would be very unfortunate as they finally have found their way again releasing quality material and putting on energetic and heavy shows once more and ENJOYING IT, not just going through the motions like they had with Geoff for those last several years.

Operation Mindcrime has been done to death, I for one really don't even feel the necessity of having it done in it's entirety yet again to begin with. It's not like it hasn't been done in several years, at this point it is no longer a special occasion, it has been milked to death five times over. If Geoff and his band want to do it, that's great. let him do it by himself. I would go see it. I don't need to see him back with Queensryche for so much as a short special tour at this point. A definitive NO THANKS!  :biggrin:       

Couldn't have said it better, please no Tate back in QR, just keep releasing good music with Todd. And I wouldn't even consider watching Tate's band perform Operation Mindcrime.

I agree, no Tate back in QR. I am enjoying Tate's shows without them and other are enjoying QR without Tate so it is right now a win win. I have nothing at all against Todd but have zero interest in seeing or hearing  him singing Geoff's parts.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2650 on: January 22, 2018, 09:35:22 PM »

I agree, no Tate back in QR. I am enjoying Tate's shows without them and other are enjoying QR without Tate so it is right now a win win. I have nothing at all against Todd but have zero interest in seeing or hearing  him singing Geoff's parts.

The one thing I want to hear is Empire live in ta entirety.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2651 on: February 02, 2018, 02:40:53 AM »
Hey, slight bump but I've recently gone through the Queensryche discography & I decided to look through this thread to see some discussion about the material I've heard. It's interesting to see, but the one thing that's puzzling me is where the idea that "Queensryche sucked after Promised Land" comes from (mostly at the beginning of the thread). I personally enjoyed Q2K & Tribe & I absolutely adore OM2. I get that they've released a lot of bad albums (DTC especially is the worst thing ever  :facepalm:), I don't see why this idea that they were consistently terrible until the 2012 split comes from. What issues do you guys have with Q2K/Tribe/OM2 that makes you put them on the same level as HITNF/AS/DTC?
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2652 on: February 02, 2018, 02:55:29 AM »
I'm one of the few that have no problem with Q2K, I really think it's a good record with some very strong songs and some more average ones. I would have wished for them to continue in that direction.

On the other hand Tribe is such a boooooooooooooooooring record, but that's just me.

OM2 suffers from mediocrity, apart from a few good songs, and is too long so that it drags in the end. And I think the story is shit and doesn't do the first one justice.

And apart from the quality of the songs you really can tell that Tate doesn't give a shit about his vocals anymore, in the end he doesn't even try to put in a decent performance.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2653 on: February 02, 2018, 03:53:35 AM »
I keep trying to pull myself through any of the Post-Promised Land Tate era Queensryche albums and I never manage to pull through. I just can't get into any of them, not even Hear in the Now Frontier.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2654 on: February 02, 2018, 08:30:53 AM »
Hey, slight bump but I've recently gone through the Queensryche discography & I decided to look through this thread to see some discussion about the material I've heard. It's interesting to see, but the one thing that's puzzling me is where the idea that "Queensryche sucked after Promised Land" comes from (mostly at the beginning of the thread). I personally enjoyed Q2K & Tribe & I absolutely adore OM2. I get that they've released a lot of bad albums (DTC especially is the worst thing ever  :facepalm:), I don't see why this idea that they were consistently terrible until the 2012 split comes from. What issues do you guys have with Q2K/Tribe/OM2 that makes you put them on the same level as HITNF/AS/DTC?

We talked about this A LOT in the Queensryche discography thread, so you might want to check that out.  A lot of good discussion of each album there.  As far as the albums you mentioned, here's my short take:

First off, HITNF is a great album, and I'll fight anybody who says otherwise.  :biggrin:

It has some moments.  Liquid Sky is a good song.  Falling Down isn't bad.  Same with Breakdown.  And Burning Man, despite being "different" is kind of infectious too.  But I struggle to find much more that is truly "interesting" about the album.  And that is a problem for a band that had been known up to that point for standing out and being deep, interesting, and thought-provoking.  The album is "just kind of there."  If this was some band other than Queensryche, I doubt I would have even bought the album.  I don't hate it.  But I don't find much of anything that makes me want to listen to it either.  That said, I agree with the general point about wanting to maybe hear more in that vein from them.  This was their first time writing without their primary guy, CDG, and it showed that something was missing.  Having done an album and two tours with Kelly, I think they could have definitely written something more inspired that sounded more like a true band effort if he had been able to stay on.

Tribe:  Very good HALF of an album.  Open, Desert Dance, and Art of Life are very solid.  If the entire album was that good, this would be a pretty special album.  But it isn't.  It does have a cohesive dark vibe, which is a good thing.  But despite a couple of other pretty good supporting songs in Tribe and Doing Fine, the rest of the album is pretty unmemorable and sounds like it could have just be slapped together from leftovers from outside writers who hadn't been able to sell them to anybody else.  It's not a "bad" album.  But the quality is very inconsistent to me between the awesome trilogy of songs, a couple of good ones, and the unforgettable rest (well, I wish Blood was "unforgettable"--but it's so bad I can't forget it no matter how hard I try). 

Mindcrime2:  This sums it up pretty well for me:

OM2 suffers from mediocrity, apart from a few good songs, and is too long so that it drags in the end. And I think the story is shit and doesn't do the first one justice.

And apart from the quality of the songs you really can tell that Tate doesn't give a shit about his vocals anymore, in the end he doesn't even try to put in a decent performance.

It has some great moments.  The first half of the album is mostly really good.  But it takes a nosedive.  Dio's potential is wasted on a really dumb song and overly campy performance.  And the cracks in Tate's vocal delivery are REALLY starting to show. 

By American Soldier, Slater had mostly really figured out the Queensryche sound and how to coax that out of the players.  But between Tate's lackluster vocals and the growing fissures in the band, what could have been a great album is just a very good but flawed album.  And, of course, they were completely off the rails after that.  I wouldn't say that they are a band that "completely sucked after Promised Land."  But they are a band that lost their primary songwriter, lost their cohesiveness, and, consequently, lost their way.  And I think you can hear that in the music.  Listening to the albums tells a story.  Some of what they did along that journey worked.  A lot did not.  Either way, that's okay.  Other than DTC, there really isn't an album where they haven't given me something to like, so I won't complain--much.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2655 on: February 02, 2018, 07:30:38 PM »
Thanks for the responses. Really glad to see at least some love for these albums, even if most would agree they aren't their best. I'll check out the discography thread later, maybe they can give me some more perspective.

I'm listening to Q2K again & I kind of agree with what bosk said about it. As much as I love certain songs (especially When The Rain Comes, which is one of the best later-QR songs imo), it just has that "meh" feeling that wasn't there on the first 5 albums. I think at the time I was just relieved that it wasn't another HITNF, which I full-on hated when I first heard it & it hasn't gotten much better since (fite me bosk).

As for Tribe, I kind of have the opposite opinion to bosk. I really like the 2nd half, but I think the album has a bit of a rocky start (Desert Dance is my least favourite track). That said, I still think the track flow from Tribe/Blood/Art Of Life is phenomenal & really sets the album above a lot of QR's weaker material.

Also, one thing I've been considering doing is an "every QR song ranked" thread from worst to best. I think that could be pretty interesting seeing how inconsistent their discography is. I'd still have to actually construct the list (that's the hard part), but I think it'd be pretty fun. What do you guys think?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2656 on: February 02, 2018, 09:57:45 PM »
By the way, does anyone know where I can find the Condition Human bonus tracks? None of the streaming sites or digital stores I use seem to have them.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2657 on: February 05, 2018, 12:44:46 PM »
By the way, does anyone know where I can find the Condition Human bonus tracks? None of the streaming sites or digital stores I use seem to have them.
Same here, would like to find them somewhere.

Btw, since Casey is leaving Kamelot, how long until QR announces Scott's departure?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2658 on: February 05, 2018, 03:14:26 PM »
Same here, would like to find them somewhere.

Btw, since Casey is leaving Kamelot, how long until QR announces Scott's departure?

Seriously? Crap, seems inevitable, doesn't it. Scott must have decided he's done.

I was not impressed with Casey when I saw QR last year. Just seemed wrong without Scott back there.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2659 on: February 05, 2018, 03:22:31 PM »
So, BOTH of the primary writers are gone.  The backbone of the rhythm section is gone.  There really just isn't much left of "Queensryche" in Queensryche now.  :(