Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 683626 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #2590 on: July 28, 2017, 05:46:22 PM »
He just may have.  They look like they've been around the block more than once.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2591 on: July 28, 2017, 05:59:07 PM »
He did say something about holes in the soles.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2592 on: August 07, 2017, 01:46:03 PM »
Looks like the band has added a couple of oldies into the set:

Anarchy-X/Revolution Calling
Surgical Strike

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2593 on: August 07, 2017, 03:44:23 PM »
Awesome, can't wait till Friday.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #2594 on: August 07, 2017, 08:03:07 PM »

Surgical Strike

Nice additions, hopefully they stay in the set list for a while, be seeing them soon  :metal

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #2595 on: August 08, 2017, 08:49:14 AM »

Surgical Strike

Very cool. Two of my all-time favorites (top-20 for sure, with Rev being top-10).

Casey Grillo has done a real good job on drums. He doesn't have the same feel as Rockenfield, and it's different, but I watched a few performances pretty intently, and it's obvious he's really worked hard to get it right (comparing his first gig to the last couple). Miss Scott Rock, but I think Casey has upped his profile a bit. Rock's parts aren't run of the mill, and while neither are Kamelot's, I think QR's are a bit more challenging. I'm wondering when Scott will return, however. It's been what, four or five months now?

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2596 on: August 08, 2017, 09:54:25 PM »
So here's Todd's explanation of how meeting Geoff went.  It's nice to know that everyone can be civil now that time has passed.  And for something you don't see everyday, and honestly have never seen before, the videos show Tate standing stage left, watching QR perform...without him. 

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/queensryches-todd-la-torre-recounts-face-to-face-encounter-with-geoff-tate-he-told-me-i-was-amazing/

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2597 on: August 09, 2017, 12:07:07 AM »
That was a nice read and an interesting thing to see.  :tup

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2598 on: August 09, 2017, 01:48:31 AM »
Geoff has seemed quite chilled recently in the interviews I've seen. Maybe he's enjoying life. His voice seems better than it's been too.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2599 on: August 09, 2017, 08:14:28 AM »
Yeah, good read.  I thought Todd was spot on in his compliments as well, both recognizing Geoff's current limitations and the reality of that, while also recognizing his legacy and what he achieved, and how Todd's vocals are also different.  As similar as Todd can sound to Geoff, he is distinctly different in some of the stuff he does, both in terms of what he can bring to the table and where he is limited.  I know for me, for where the band is now, I prefer Todd's style, even to what Tate could do in his prime if we could somehow bring that version of Geoff Tate back into the band.  I mean, back then, Geoff was untouchable.  But the more aggressive tone better suits them now, even if some of the smoothness is sacrificed.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2600 on: August 09, 2017, 09:15:08 AM »
So here's Todd's explanation of how meeting Geoff went.  It's nice to know that everyone can be civil now that time has passed.  And for something you don't see everyday, and honestly have never seen before, the videos show Tate standing stage left, watching QR perform...without him. 

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/queensryches-todd-la-torre-recounts-face-to-face-encounter-with-geoff-tate-he-told-me-i-was-amazing/

What was nice to see was the healing process has started. Nothing may come of it except some smiles and good feelings. Or, it could be the start of a reunion. Time will tell. At this point, it really doesn't matter, ya know?

As for comparing both, look, five years in to the TLT-era of Queensryche, it's pretty easy to spot the differences between the two. Todd said it himself in that interview when he admitted he has trouble with the Empire material. There's an element of depth, power, and control to Geoff's voice that Todd simply doesn't have. And Todd, obviously, has better range (now) than Tate, and can sing the EP-RFO material pretty "easily." But starting with bits of Mindcrime, and most certainly with Empire, that's where TLT's vocals start to get exposed. But he does the best he can, and does a decent job on that stuff. It isn't easy, despite not being AS rangy. It's built for Tate's voice, not his.

Anyway, it's good that they all reconnected. They should. Whether it leads to anything in the future, who knows. As a fan, it won't matter to me unless it's a reunion of the original five guys. I don't see a point in reuniting with Tate unless you reunite with DeGarmo too. It's not gonna bring in more money with just Tate, so there's no business reason to do it, and obviously, there's likely still a disconnect musically...so IMO they are better apart from a creative standpoint for now (they obviously like what La Torre does as a songwriter). But at least the healing process between Tate and the band has started. And Tate deserves at least some credit for initiating it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2601 on: August 11, 2017, 10:08:23 AM »
You know, for all the talk about the patching up and moving on, I was just reminded of something that ticks me off as a I unintentionally revisited it this morning.  And that is the fact that Tate released Frequency Unknown as a "Queensryche" album to deliberately create confusion.  I mean, the stuff between him and the band, such as spitting on Scott and knocking over his drums, physically assaulting Whip, etc. is inexcusable.  But ultimately, that's between him and those guys.  But the deliberate band name confusion still continues to this day, as I was reminded when I visited the Queensryche discography page and saw F.U. listed, which it unequivocally should not be.  Really pisses me off.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2602 on: August 11, 2017, 10:34:41 AM »
You know, for all the talk about the patching up and moving on, I was just reminded of something that ticks me off as a I unintentionally revisited it this morning.  And that is the fact that Tate released Frequency Unknown as a "Queensryche" album to deliberately create confusion.  I mean, the stuff between him and the band, such as spitting on Scott and knocking over his drums, physically assaulting Whip, etc. is inexcusable.  But ultimately, that's between him and those guys.  But the deliberate band name confusion still continues to this day, as I was reminded when I visited the Queensryche discography page and saw F.U. listed, which it unequivocally should not be.  Really pisses me off.

I always thought of it as him trying to lay claim to the band name, but I can definitely see your point.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2603 on: August 11, 2017, 10:45:43 AM »

I always thought of it as him trying to lay claim to the band name, but I can definitely see your point.

Well, yeah, exactly.  And he had no right to try to lay claim to the band name whatsoever.  And he knew that.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2604 on: August 11, 2017, 11:27:25 AM »
Isn't F.U. released as a QR album old news?  I think most everyone is past that now.

I'm looking forward to the next installment.  Hopefully they don't decided to do a musical.   :lol

"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2605 on: August 11, 2017, 11:35:43 AM »
I was a casual Queensryche follower more than I was a fan back when the entire thing with two incarnations of Queensryche took place. I was on team Michael/Scott/Eddie and thought it was truly terrible of Geoff to force out an album under the Queensryche name with musicians he gathered from all over the place, even though I never listened to it.

These days, however, I see it as an interesting point in Queensryche history. The period actually lasted for only a year and it's unusual but intriguing to revisit an era when there were two Queensryches.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2606 on: August 12, 2017, 12:13:23 AM »
Queensryche kicked ass. Too bad they only played 1:30:00 though.

Skid Row wasn't bad either. ZP Theart was awesome and the energy was there from the start.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2607 on: August 12, 2017, 03:52:51 AM »
Isn't F.U. released as a QR album old news?  I think most everyone is past that now.

I'm looking forward to the next installment.  Hopefully they don't decided to do a musical.   :lol

There was no confusion if you heard the two albums.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2608 on: August 26, 2017, 06:36:43 PM »
So, as posted by others, bumping this thread with a hell of a performance by Tate last week:

https://youtu.be/ZdUlJHvET1I

If he continues to sound like this, and if they continue to speak and be on good terms, I wonder if the reunion will actually happen. As I posted in the Tate thread, he hasn't sounded this good in over a decade. Very impressed.

I wonder if professional pride had a lot to do with this. After watching Queensryche perform, and seeing Todd sing all the songs Tate helped write and perform, I have to think it might have had an impact on him. Because damn this is the Tate I think of, vocally.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2609 on: August 26, 2017, 06:51:15 PM »
It'd be cool, although I wonder if Tate is the type who's capable of relinquishing creative control, as would probably be necessary if he was to reunite with them.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2610 on: August 26, 2017, 07:11:28 PM »
You have to remember, there's be nothing creative about it. It'd be rehashing old stuff live.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2611 on: August 26, 2017, 07:31:31 PM »
Personally, I think theyve probably got offers for mindcrime 30th from promoters. And possibly will get together to tour (no chris). Just a feeling. Then pick back up with la torre later.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2612 on: August 26, 2017, 07:35:11 PM »
Without Chris, what is the point?

I think if I was younger, I might feel different, but I don't know. Queensryche lost their integrity a long time ago.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2613 on: August 26, 2017, 08:20:11 PM »
I was actually thinking about Chris when reading the Tribe writeup. It probably would've happened by now, but is there any chance that Chris would be interested in a Queensryche without Geoff or is he pretty much done with music at this point?

Anyway I feel the same way as you TAC. I was interested in what they were doing when Geoff left, but the self titled album really killed my interest in them. That was like the final nail in the coffin for me. I will say that the Queensryche discog has resparked my interest a ton, so we'll see what happens.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2614 on: August 26, 2017, 08:25:01 PM »
I like the Todd stuff, though I felt the s/t was a little safe. I just wished the band liked the new stuff as much as I did.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2615 on: August 26, 2017, 08:27:23 PM »
Condition Human was freakin awesome.

Not quite classic material.   But absolutely worthy of being an official follow-up to Promised Land. 

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #2616 on: August 26, 2017, 08:27:55 PM »
I was actually thinking about Chris when reading the Tribe writeup. It probably would've happened by now, but is there any chance that Chris would be interested in a Queensryche without Geoff or is he pretty much done with music at this point?

He released that EP with his daughter a couple of years ago. There was a Billboard article on it, I think. I don't know if they've done anything together since then, though.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2617 on: August 26, 2017, 08:47:01 PM »
Cool, I'll have to look into that.

I didn't bother with Condition Human, but I'm now looking forward to it in the discography thread.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2618 on: August 26, 2017, 08:48:44 PM »
Mosh, Condition Human is excellent. I still thought they had something to prove after the s/t/ I wasn't totally convinced.  But CH is a huge step up. I think they still have much more to give though.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2619 on: August 27, 2017, 06:47:07 AM »
I couldn't make out the vocals properly in that clip, but I found this individual video of EOAS where he actually goes for the "mirror never lies" note in the last chorus (4:12): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rE5msUnJRM That caught me off guard and I wonder when was the last time he managed to do it.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2620 on: August 27, 2017, 07:21:21 AM »
So, as posted by others, bumping this thread with a hell of a performance by Tate last week:

If he continues to sound like this, and if they continue to speak and be on good terms, I wonder if the reunion will actually happen. As I posted in the Tate thread, he hasn't sounded this good in over a decade. Very impressed.

I wonder if professional pride had a lot to do with this. After watching Queensryche perform, and seeing Todd sing all the songs Tate helped write and perform, I have to think it might have had an impact on him. Because damn this is the Tate I think of, vocally.
WOW I thought Geoff couldn't have a performance like that anymore. Indeed, VERY impressive!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #2621 on: August 28, 2017, 12:21:41 PM »
He sounds better, yeah. but he is in a position now with the last few records tanking and putting himself in a position where it is going to be difficult to secure a record deal going forward once this third chapter of the Trilogy no doubt follows suit and does nothing sales wise. It is apparent that when it comes to anything resembling metal, there is no inspiration or creativity left. His best option seems to be at this point to put some work into his vocals and attempt to gain a few more asses back in the seats of his live shows by putting on better performances so he can make it financially doable to continue performing and touring. He no doubt must have a Mindcrime 30th Anniversary tour on his radar, so it would be wise to work on improving it's quality live.

As for that 30th anniversary tour being with Queesryche, No Thanks. Hopefully this upcoming new Queensryche album with Todd will cement that in stone and bury that idea. I don't want him anywhere near Queensryche again, as I could see that ultimately being the end of the band and that would be very unfortunate as they finally have found their way again releasing quality material and putting on energetic and heavy shows once more and ENJOYING IT, not just going through the motions like they had with Geoff for those last several years.

Operation Mindcrime has been done to death, I for one really don't even feel the necessity of having it done in it's entirety yet again to begin with. It's not like it hasn't been done in several years, at this point it is no longer a special occasion, it has been milked to death five times over. If Geoff and his band want to do it, that's great. let him do it by himself. I would go see it. I don't need to see him back with Queensryche for so much as a short special tour at this point. A definitive NO THANKS!  :biggrin:         

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2622 on: August 28, 2017, 01:53:38 PM »
Without Chris, what is the point?

I think if I was younger, I might feel different, but I don't know. Queensryche lost their integrity a long time ago.

I agree Tim.  At this point, there really is no point.  Oh wait... :lol

Mosh, Condition Human is excellent. I still thought they had something to prove after the s/t/ I wasn't totally convinced.  But CH is a huge step up. I think they still have much more to give though.

This too.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2623 on: August 28, 2017, 02:18:10 PM »
Personally, I have no interest in any sort of reunion of Queensryche and Geoff Tate unless it was with DeGarmo. If it is just Geoff, that doesn't really excite me as a fan. Been there, done that more times than I can count.

While I am not AS high on Queensryche with La Torre as some are, the fact of the matter is, I think most fans are pleased with the new music (those that aren't on the "no Tate, no QR" bandwagon). The self-titled album and Condition Human are much better than D2C, and much better than anything Tate has made outside of Queensryche.

That said, however, I don't personally feel any of that matters to Queensryche. What matters is the almighty dollar, in my opinion. And if promoters come calling, offering decent money for performing Operation: MIndcrime in 2018 with Tate reunited with Queensryche, and the amount is sizeable enough, I think it'll happen.

But again, the amount has to be big enough. What always seems to be clear with Queensryche in the post-CDG years is -- if the money is there, they will do it. When they tapped La Torre to replace Tate, it was amid declining revenue, and watching their bottom line get smaller and smaller because of the payroll and other factors. So, they wiped that clean, got La Torre, and tried to get everything as maxed out as they could on profit.

My gut feeling is that they are coming to another fork in the road. The guarantees are likely getting smaller (they are for many bands, not just Queensryche), and it is getting tougher and tough to book a profitable tour (which is why they do all these fly-in casino gigs and such -- they pay well, and don't cost much to get there and back).

So, again I say, IF the offers and guarantees from the promoters are there, I would bet Tate and QR would reunite for it, to make that money. Will it happen? I have no idea. I think it depends on the following factors:

1. The right amount of guaranteed money and shows from promoters
2. The right agreement between Tate and the band principals (Jackson, Wilton, Rockenfield)
3. How it would impact the relationship between La Torre and the band (assuming this would be a temporary thing if indeed the possibility came up).

As I said earlier, I'm not personally interested in it, if it indeed came up. But if the offers come in, I'd bet they'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2624 on: August 28, 2017, 02:29:48 PM »
I have no desire to see Tate in Queensryche AND I have no desire to see Mindcrime again.  And let's face it, I can give that Tate sounded decent on those clips that were just shown.  But that was downtuned, and he did NOT sound "great" on anything I heard.  How would he sound doing all of Mindcrime as part of a larger set of QR material?  No thanks.  But as much as Mindcrime has been done to death over the years, and as much as I don't care to see a reunion, even if it is for a tour, I would go see something like this if it were realistic (but I do not see that it could be):  A small string of dates where the current lineup of Queensryche plays a full set, and then the entire original lineup (Tate and DeGarmo) play Mindcrime, and then maybe the combined lineup for an encore.