Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 692154 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #2520 on: May 10, 2017, 01:08:02 PM »
If I went into a coma in 1995, and woke up after Todd Joined the band, listening wise, I would've never known it was a different guy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2521 on: May 10, 2017, 04:05:55 PM »
I don't really listen to the Todd-ryche anymore. I was excited when Todd was announced as the singer, especially after hearing some of his original stuff on his website, but that isn't the case anymore.

its great he can sing the old stuff, for the most part, the way Tate did, but it seems he has an easier time with the old stuff then with the new songs he's written with the band.  most of the live clips I've seen of him singing the new material is hard to listen to.

I also think QR is a better band when they aren't "metal", and I think Todd is more "metal" than the rest of the guys.  I like the more emotional feel the band had during the Mindcrime-PL albums.  Of course DeGarmo was a main reason for a lot of that, so it is what it is.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2522 on: May 10, 2017, 05:38:16 PM »

On the whole I think Todd's great.  He put on a great performance out here last year - saved himself a bit for some of the key high notes and nailed them. 

I agree that he does sound constrained with the new material compared to how he opens up live on the old stuff.    Often a guy like him who has to pace himself live will really go for it on the studio album but I find Todd more impressive in a live environment.  It seems they just don't write songs to fully utilise what he can do.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2523 on: May 10, 2017, 09:44:02 PM »
Live:

I was at those two Rising West shows. Todd La Torre blew me away. Jaw-dropping. Honestly, from a classic Queensryche fan perspective, it was euphoria. No other way to describe the vibe in the room, particularly the first night. There was so much connection because he was a fan who lived and breathed those songs like all of us in the audience, and he delivered them with such conviction that was just so engaging.

I was at the second one. As a minor QR fan, I thought it was awesome, and yes the vibe in the room was killer.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #2524 on: May 11, 2017, 08:17:05 AM »
Live:

I was at those two Rising West shows. Todd La Torre blew me away. Jaw-dropping. Honestly, from a classic Queensryche fan perspective, it was euphoria. No other way to describe the vibe in the room, particularly the first night. There was so much connection because he was a fan who lived and breathed those songs like all of us in the audience, and he delivered them with such conviction that was just so engaging. I'll never forget it. YouTube doesn't do it justice.
I have audio bootlegs of both shows.  As my first introduction to Todd,  I was really impressed with him and hoped he'd be joining QR permanently.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2525 on: May 11, 2017, 10:29:47 AM »
All the talk about Promised Land had me revisiting the album this week.  Damn, it's so good.  There are so many layers to it.  However, I was curious if someone can share their thoughts on the meaning of the song "Lady Jane"?
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2526 on: May 11, 2017, 12:25:45 PM »
All the talk about Promised Land had me revisiting the album this week.  Damn, it's so good.  There are so many layers to it.  However, I was curious if someone can share their thoughts on the meaning of the song "Lady Jane"?

I just re-read my own analysis of the record, song-by-song, and that was the one song that confused the shit out of me. I went everywhere from thinking it was about a newborn, to an imprisoned young woman, to wondering if it was related to Lady Jane Grey of England, to finally deciding that DeGarmo was high as a fucking kite and all those words tumbled out.  :lol

So there you go.  :rollin
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2527 on: May 11, 2017, 12:49:08 PM »
That works for me.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2528 on: May 11, 2017, 01:35:14 PM »

I just re-read my own analysis of the record, song-by-song, and that was the one song that confused the shit out of me. I went everywhere from thinking it was about a newborn, to an imprisoned young woman, to wondering if it was related to Lady Jane Grey of England, to finally deciding that DeGarmo was high as a fucking kite and all those words tumbled out.  :lol

Because he's a pilot, right?  ;)
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2529 on: May 11, 2017, 01:45:50 PM »

Because he's a pilot, right?  ;)

Well, I mean, SOME people fly.  And some of us worry.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2530 on: May 11, 2017, 01:55:01 PM »

Oh, right!  Your "high as a kite" remark reminded me that someone once suggested to me it was about weed, hence the title "Lady JANE."  Personally, I remember getting the impression back in the day that the song was about a sexually abused child.  You know, the eerie playground sounds in the beginning, the "close voice" of Tate, and the lyrics "we're playing a new game," "feeling rather warm inside" and "are you smiling or afraid?"  I just get a creepy predatory vibe, but the girl is too young to realize what was really happening.  I mean, a lot of the songs on the album are about emotional struggles and damaged psyches -- from the mental health theme of "Out of Mind" to the pills and surgery of "Disconnected" to the family issues in "Bridge."  A song about abuse would fit into that concept, I think.  But who knows.  I could be way off.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2531 on: May 11, 2017, 02:53:04 PM »

Oh, right!  Your "high as a kite" remark reminded me that someone once suggested to me it was about weed, hence the title "Lady JANE."  Personally, I remember getting the impression back in the day that the song was about a sexually abused child.  You know, the eerie playground sounds in the beginning, the "close voice" of Tate, and the lyrics "we're playing a new game," "feeling rather warm inside" and "are you smiling or afraid?"  I just get a creepy predatory vibe, but the girl is too young to realize what was really happening.  I mean, a lot of the songs on the album are about emotional struggles and damaged psyches -- from the mental health theme of "Out of Mind" to the pills and surgery of "Disconnected" to the family issues in "Bridge."  A song about abuse would fit into that concept, I think.  But who knows.  I could be way off.

It would for sure. Sort of creepy to think about, but yeah. although the end of the song always said something else to me:

"Yesterday seemed very dark, but now it's bright,
your clouds have gone away.
Sensory perception peaking at this time,
electric waves of sound are filling Janie's mind today
calling out to Janie as you drift away, "Don't be afraid,
they're only your illusion anyway."

Lady Jane your eyes are wide today.
and we're sure you won't forget the things
you've seen today!

>>>>Sensory perception peaks as a baby. Again, the whole tune, lyrically is weird. Musically, I always thought it had a cool RFO vibe to it, to a degree.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2532 on: May 13, 2017, 07:09:04 PM »
Thanks for posting about it, bosk. And thanks to anyone who read it. I wish I had a blog functionality on the site to enable comments, but I don't.

PL is such an oddity to me. If you look at it as a snapshot, it was exactly opposite of what Empire was. But when you look at it a little closer, it actually is a natural evolution musically for the band. Lyrically, PL was absolutely brilliant (despite being written in such a difficult point for the band members other than Chris, personally), and such a raw introspective look at things the band was going through (or at least Tate).

The funny thing for me personally is that like I am sure many, I didn't get it at first and was disappointed with it. I was in college, and living at home. I remember not knowing the release date, but stopping by the local music shop on my way home from class, and seeing it was out that particular day. I didn't get paid until Friday, so my mother loaned me $20 to go get the CD. I got it home, put it on, and was crushed. LOL. I tried again a day or two later, at night, with headphones, and it clicked, and I never looked back. The older I get, the more I appreciate it, which was exactly what Tate said over the years.

Bands get lucky to have a "timeless" record. Records that are so good, that they really don't become "dated" due to production, lyrics, and style. Queensryche has not one, but TWO of those. Mindcrime and Promised Land. Pretty incredible if you think about it. I totally get why some people may not like it. But it's a hell of an emotional ride for 48 minutes.

I pretty much agree with this (I'd choose Livecrime over Mindcrime though) Promised Land is probably my favorite Queensryche studio album of all-time. The reason that I didn't give it much time at first was that Awake came out around the same time and I never gave Promised Land the time it needed to click with me for a while. So it was the textbook definition of a slow burner. I loved that tour. I'd seen the previous two tours and for me this one blew those tours away. Would have loved a live album/ video from it.

As far as the singles go. I agree there were mistakes made, but I'm not sure it would have mattered much given how the radio landscape was changing and becoming more fragmented in those four years.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2533 on: May 13, 2017, 07:15:58 PM »
I loved that tour. I'd seen the previous two tours and for me this one blew those tours away. Would have loved a live album/ video from it.

Totally agree. As much as I don't care for the album, the show was amazing. Out Of Mind is kind of lame on the album, but live, outdoors on a hot July night, it was perfect.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2534 on: June 26, 2017, 05:04:33 PM »
So a show from last week in Paris just went up on Dime. Here is the setlist:

01 - Intro
02 - Guardian
03 - Operation: Mindcrime
04 - Best I Can
05 - Damaged
06 - The Killing Words
07 - The Mission
08 - Silent Lucidity
09 - I Don't Believe in Love
10 - Empire
11 - Queen of the Reich
12 - Jet City Woman
13 - Take Hold of the Flame

14 - Screaming in Digital
15 - Eyes of a Stranger

So, not that every song isn't great, but this "let's get one new song out of the way first" thing is lame. It's a great collection of songs, but what are we doing here?

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2535 on: June 26, 2017, 05:08:14 PM »
So a show from last week in Paris just went up on Dime. Here is the setlist:

01 - Intro
02 - Guardian
03 - Operation: Mindcrime
04 - Best I Can
05 - Damaged
06 - The Killing Words
07 - The Mission
08 - Silent Lucidity
09 - I Don't Believe in Love
10 - Empire
11 - Queen of the Reich
12 - Jet City Woman
13 - Take Hold of the Flame

14 - Screaming in Digital
15 - Eyes of a Stranger

So, not that every song isn't great, but this "let's get one new song out of the way first" thing is lame. It's a great collection of songs, but what are we doing here?

If they don't believe in the new songs they can't expect their fanbase to believe in them, either.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2536 on: June 26, 2017, 05:14:44 PM »
While I agree with that sentiment, PowerSlave, playing a new song first is probably not a wise move (just like playing a new song last wouldn't be either).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2537 on: June 26, 2017, 05:16:17 PM »
One token new song. It's like Setlist Affirmative Action.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2538 on: June 26, 2017, 05:29:11 PM »
While I agree with that sentiment, PowerSlave, playing a new song first is probably not a wise move (just like playing a new song last wouldn't be either).

I'm not really concerned about where they place the new song(but I do agree with you that it probably shouldn't be first). I'm with TAC on the fact that they are only playing one new song. I've never really bothered to get into the new album, but if they were playing more of it live, and I was going to see them I would probably familiarize myself better with the material. I'm sure that other people would do the same. That's not to say that everyone would. The casual fans that only want to hear the hits wouldn't give a shit, but I don't think that the band can maintain themselves on those casual fans, anyways.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2539 on: June 26, 2017, 05:31:16 PM »
What is too bad is that the last album is actually pretty good.

If they don't believe in the new songs they can't expect their fanbase to believe in them, either.

I could not agree more.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2540 on: June 26, 2017, 05:37:54 PM »
What is too bad is that the last album is actually pretty good.

I disagree....

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Setzer

• Queensr˙che Aficionado
« Reply #2541 on: June 27, 2017, 07:11:55 AM »

I'm not really concerned about where they place the new song(but I do agree with you that it probably shouldn't be first). I'm with TAC on the fact that they are only playing one new song. I've never really bothered to get into the new album, but if they were playing more of it live, and I was going to see them I would probably familiarize myself better with the material. I'm sure that other people would do the same. That's not to say that everyone would. The casual fans that only want to hear the hits wouldn't give a shit, but I don't think that the band can maintain themselves on those casual fans, anyways.
Seems to have worked pretty well for the last ~5 years  ;D

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2542 on: June 27, 2017, 08:20:45 AM »

Seems to have worked pretty well for the last ~5 years  ;D

Yes and no. Yes, in that they've managed to still tour and make their livings from it. But that's just outside looking in. If you take careful note of what's going on, you'll see that they are unfortunately needing to tour with other acts now to make ends meet. The people at the local show last November that were around me (say the 10 in front and the 10 in back), it sounded like they all had Groupons, and groupons were being talked about by security -- so many people having discounted tickets at the show. Groupons and discounted tickets have become commonplace, but this was the first I had heard of it for this version of Queensryche.

Add to that personal knowledge that their guarantees were headed south three years ago (and assuming, based on the above, they still are), it stands to reason that it isn't working as well as they probably hoped.

I'm not trying to be negative, but what I'm saying is, we don't have the complete picture to really tell one way or another how "well" it is working. My guess is, like a lot of bands QR's size, they are struggling to a degree from the glut of bands out on the road and smaller guarantees. Queensryche isn't the only one, either. This is probably why, as much as I hate seeing them play casino gigs, why they do it. Because those come with a lot of cash, which tides them over from the lower guarantees they get when they actually tour for themselves.

In my opinion, the band is damned if they do (play more new material) and damned if they don't. If they do, sure, hardcores will get into it. If they don't, casual fans get to relive their glory years, and the hardcores see "Empire" for the millionth time. However, all that said, I don't think Queensryche really gave the self-titled (2013) record or Condition Human their proper exposure. I just don't think the records were marketed and promoted well. The setlists have something to do with it, but it's more than that.

When they dropped QR 2013, instead of focusing on that and pushing it, they continued with the whole "Return to History" thing. While that was cool for some who hadn't seen it, it also, after having done it for over a year at that point, had them trekking down the path of nostalgia again. And I think they got lost in it. They did the same thing on Condition Human to a degree, although I think by the end, they were playing four songs in a 15 song set, so that's at least decent representation as a headliner.

But because they are playing as a co-headliner (with Saint) those set times are really short for QR, and as a result, newer songs get cut. So it's all circular. In addition, I really didn't see the label really market Queensryche's new material that well. And when Queensryche itself doesn't really market it well, then you slip backward to a degree. And that's what has happened to them in my opinion.

It's a bummer, honestly. The material on QR 2013 and Condition Human is pretty good, and miles better than Dedicated to Chaos, and I think it deserved more exposure and success. But from the outside looking in, it seems as though they feel in order to make ends meet, they need to straddle that line between forcing their newer material out there, and catering to those that only want to hear the hits. I'd argue they made the wrong choice in that regard, but there's too many unknown variables to really say that with any sort of conviction.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2543 on: July 02, 2017, 08:00:17 PM »
I loved that tour. I'd seen the previous two tours and for me this one blew those tours away. Would have loved a live album/ video from it.

Totally agree. As much as I don't care for the album, the show was amazing. Out Of Mind is kind of lame on the album, but live, outdoors on a hot July night, it was perfect.

I think I'm going to go look for a prime cut Promised Land gig on you tube (After this Kings X gig I'm watching is over). That tour was so good I broke my rule for only buying Rush,Dream Theater and Fish/Marillion videos.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #2544 on: July 15, 2017, 09:58:02 PM »
Just want to let You Guys know, that the Queensryche Survivor 2017 is coming big steps into us  :metal Check Polls/Survivors for details very soon!! Cheers  :tup

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2545 on: July 16, 2017, 12:14:33 AM »
Sounds great!!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2546 on: July 16, 2017, 02:17:40 AM »
Cool news indeed.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2547 on: July 16, 2017, 07:02:30 AM »

I think I'm going to go look for a prime cut Promised Land gig on you tube (After this Kings X gig I'm watching is over). That tour was so good I broke my rule for only buying Rush,Dream Theater and Fish/Marillion videos.

I watched the San Antonio show the other night. Awesome. What they did for Promised Land was awesome. What a great show.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2548 on: July 16, 2017, 07:03:57 AM »

I watched the San Antonio show the other night. Awesome. What they did for Promised Land was awesome. What a great show.

And what a great album. :hat

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2549 on: July 16, 2017, 07:11:59 AM »
I seriously don't know how anyone that was a fan of Queensryche already could think that. It's actually mind boggling to me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2550 on: July 16, 2017, 07:20:49 AM »
I am sure we will touch on this more in the discography thread, but Promised Land was a WTF at first for me.  It was not what I was expecting, but something about it kept drawing me back, and then it was like one day the light bulb went on and the whole thing just sounded amazing. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2551 on: July 16, 2017, 11:16:54 AM »
Promised land was also super jarring for me at first and it was like "what the hell is this", but after a few listens and some time with it, I was like "wow, this is really something special".

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2552 on: July 16, 2017, 02:38:09 PM »
Considering the direction of the previous two efforts, I'd say that Promised Land was their most progressive album since RFO, and it was probably their last truly progressive album over all. I know that the word progressive has different meanings to different people, but I'm guessing that most of the core fan-base would agree with that. It's hard to say, though.

Something else that gives the album merit, in my opinion, is that they very easily could have hit the studio and tried to make Empire part two. Instead, they chose to have more integrity than to sticking with what would have been a safe move.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2553 on: July 16, 2017, 02:50:53 PM »
What Brian says about the two divorces makes sense. It just seems like there was a lack of effort on it.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2554 on: July 16, 2017, 03:11:41 PM »
What Brian says about the two divorces makes sense. It just seems like there was a lack of effort on it.

The divorces make sense considering how dark the themes of the album are. But lack of effort? I'd say that it took more effort to do something that was so very different than what they'd done before. I can see how some people wouldn't have welcomed the album. They were a very different band than what they were just a few years prior as far as writing ect...