Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 683467 times)

Offline PowerSlave

Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #2275 on: February 08, 2017, 10:30:07 AM »
Chris would be the deciding factor for me. I'm like Bosk in that I don't want to see Tate anywhere near this band again. Maybe if he was forced to sign some kind of contract that defines limitation on his behaviour. Even after that, I would probably be more interested in seeing them reunite with Chris and retain Todd as the singer. My reasons for feeling this way go beyond the current abilities of either singer. I simply feel that Todd is a much more likable human being. Once you piece that together with the rest of the factors...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2276 on: February 08, 2017, 10:31:34 AM »
I cannot support a bunch of old timers reuniting for a cash grab, which is all this would be. They'd be playing old songs from 30 years ago. Die hards who may not have lived through those years I can see some benefit from, but the whole entire thing would lack integrity.
Could the shows be good? Sure. But it'd be a total sham.

Yes, but...so what?  Serious question.  That happens all the time.  if the show actually is good, why is the fact that it's a cash grab a problem?
Sure. So the whole thing would be diminished in my eyes. But I'm just one fan, and it's only my viewpoint. I don't know. I just wouldn't have any interest in it.
Nobody loved Queensryche in the 80's more than I did. Both Warning and O:M made the TAC Top 50, and both were in the first 25 than the last 25.

It could be a great thing for die hards, and a younger generation that never had an opportunity to see them. I experienced that when I saw Deep Purple in 1984.

I completely get what you're saying, and you're not wrong. But in this day and age, aren't money-based reunions, that have a closure element and nostalgia pull for the fans a normal thing? I think so.

Oh, absolutely. But I'm just not obliged to care for it, and a Queensryche reunion is one that I simply wouldn't have any interest.

I'm sure GnR was a great show. They always were a great live band. But I didn't have any interest in that either.

And I totally accept that I may miss out on something that may actually be good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2277 on: February 08, 2017, 10:53:34 AM »
But I'm just not obliged to care for it

Fair enough.

TAC,

Yeah, it would be a cash grab sure. But as bosk1 has said, it happens all the times with a ton of bands. Take Guns N Roses. While it wasn't a reunion of the entire original lineup, it did reunite Slash, Axl, and Duff. I saw the tour in Seattle, after saying the same thing as you (it was a gift from a friend). I had a GREAT time, and the show was pretty amazing. It was so good that I'd go back in a heartbeat on my own dime.

I completely get what you're saying, and you're not wrong. But in this day and age, aren't money-based reunions, that have a closure element and nostalgia pull for the fans a normal thing? I think so.

Wait, so I just realized something.  So now you are actually arguing in favor of a nostalgia tour??  I FEEL LIKE I DON'T EVEN KNOW YOU!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #2278 on: February 08, 2017, 11:06:41 AM »
Chris would be the deciding factor for me. I'm like Bosk in that I don't want to see Tate anywhere near this band again. Maybe if he was forced to sign some kind of contract that defines limitation on his behaviour. Even after that, I would probably be more interested in seeing them reunite with Chris and retain Todd as the singer. My reasons for feeling this way go beyond the current abilities of either singer. I simply feel that Todd is a much more likable human being. Once you piece that together with the rest of the factors...

From a performance standpoint, Todd would be a better choice at the moment. But like it or not, Tate's presence with DeGarmo is a part of the tour's draw, at least in my opinion. Queensryche isn't big enough anymore to do a big tour, in a big venue, without the original band. I think the last few years proved that. DeGarmo wouldn't make a huge difference to promoters with the current lineup, in my opinion, given how long he's been out of the band. But the entirety of the original lineup -- I do know Livenation was interested in making that happen back in 2010 before the blowup. That was mentioned to me by a band member. So there may be some interest in it again, a few more years down the line, with the album anniversary angle included. Again, all just speculation.

I agree with you about the behavior clause for Tate, however. That, and something in regard to vocal coaching and preparation would be something I would want in the contract to ensure it was as good as it was going to get. Axl Rose did a ton of vocal training before the Not in This Lifetime tour. Tate would need to as well to pull off the kind of set we're talking about here anyway.

Wait, so I just realized something.  So now you are actually arguing in favor of a nostalgia tour??  I FEEL LIKE I DON'T EVEN KNOW YOU!

Ha ha ha ha. Well, personally, I'd PREFER that the original lineup reunite and do a full on new album, and a headline tour centered on the performance of Mindcrime in 2018 that featured a first set of that new album and the hits. But I think that's even more unlikely than this whole album anniversary reunion tour.  :lol

So I went with the next least likely, but still feasible option.  :rollin

Honestly, while I am not overly thrilled with the current lineup of Queensryche, most fans are, and they've put out two good records. And at least publicly, they seem to all be united and happy. So if that's the case, then it'd be dumb for Eddie, Scott and Mike to ditch that happiness on any sort of permanent level. But a temporary reunion, to celebrate their past, and put a cap on some things, may be more tolerable, and give them more options moving forward. And, as TAC put, it is a feasible (potentially) cash grab, which Michael, Scott and Eddie probably could use, to help set up retirement, which is looming, I'm sure.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 11:12:38 AM by AnybodyListening.net »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2279 on: February 08, 2017, 11:16:06 AM »
So thinking about this further, if there was a reunion and they recorded a new album, I would of course be curious and give it a listen. And if a tour commenced after that, well, maybe...

But if they announce dates next summer for a 30th Anniversary of O:M and that's all it was and all it would ever be, then no, not sure I can get behind that. I think if I were a single guy with nothing else going on, sure, I might "catch it", but I really wouldn't have the time, money, and effort for it now.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2280 on: February 08, 2017, 11:57:22 AM »
I would like to see DeGarmo back in the CURRENT lineup.

Also, the OM saga has been milked many times so I wouldn't be interested in it. And also, the full OM story was already documented in Mindcrime at the Moore.

I would however, be interested in seeing Empire played completely with the current lineup (DeGarmo would be a plus if the current lineup pulls it off).

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2281 on: February 08, 2017, 12:04:20 PM »
At this point at least I think Wilton and the crew have a similar philosophy to the guys in Skid Row (who could've made a packet supporting GnR given Bach's connection with Axl)..........they value their happiness/self respect/reputation more than the money.   

At the very least Tate would need to humbly ask for forgiveness and get some vocal/ear coaching pronto.  At this point he isn't capable of performing the songs to a level that the band would be okay with IMO.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2282 on: February 08, 2017, 12:07:54 PM »
Interesting scenario.  It's amazing that it's been about five years since the Tate/QR conflicts first surfaced.  To me, it still feels like yesterday.  I really don't feel like enough time has elapsed for me as a fan to welcome back Tate, even for just a handful of OM anniversary shows.  He still makes my skin crawl.  Maybe that will fade with the passage of a few more years though, who knows.  However, I'd be lying if I'd said I wouldn't check out a local show just to see how it would go, etc. 

DeGarmo, though, is another story.  I think all QR fans would love to see him back in QR world in any capacity he is comfortable with -- a few lives shows, a guest appearance on an upcoming album, a full-fledged album and tour.  Whatever the man is up for, I'm down for it. 

I guess my answer then is DeGarmo without Tate, although I know that wasn't the question.  But see how that goes first.  DeGarmo already vanished after the Tribe sessions, so I'd rather him get involved without the possibility of Tate drama.

Then maybe, MAYBE, I could be open to a Tate appearance of some kind after another five years pass.         
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2283 on: February 08, 2017, 12:18:10 PM »
If they got the original lineup together for an anniversary tour, it might make sense to reprise the Building Empires tour.  They played Mindcrime in full, a bunch of Empire songs, and Roads To Madness, Walk In the Shadows, and Take Hold.  The Empire songs they played were Best I Can, Thin Line, JWC, Empire, Resistance, and Silent Lucidity.  I think they may have also played Another Rainy Night, but can't remember for sure.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2284 on: February 08, 2017, 12:26:37 PM »
If they got the original lineup together for an anniversary tour, it might make sense to reprise the Building Empires tour.  They played Mindcrime in full, a bunch of Empire songs, and Roads To Madness, Walk In the Shadows, and Take Hold.  The Empire songs they played were Best I Can, Thin Line, JWC, Empire, Resistance, and Silent Lucidity.  I think they may have also played Another Rainy Night, but can't remember for sure.

I remember suggesting that for the 25th of Empire this year in 2015 (with the current lineup), and got ridiculed by the QR fanbase for it.  :lol

The setlist for the Building EMpires tour from 1990-1992 changed a little bit. ARN was played, but some songs were swapped (Hand on Heart was only played early on, Roads to Madness disappeared for Last Time in Paris a little, etc.).

So far, I see people here wanting the CURRENT lineup of the band to go out and do something like this with DeGarmo. i get it, but I also think that if DeGarmo was interested in performing with the current band, he likely would have by now. He's remained silent. DeGarmo has always struck me as a guy with high integrity. I don't think he'd play with current Queensryche, just like he didn't play with Tate. If DeGarmo is going to play, he's likely (in my opinion) going to do it with the original QR, intact, or not at all.

Good responses so far though. Early on, it looks as if most wouldn't be into it, because of Tate. Interesting.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 01:17:31 PM by AnybodyListening.net »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2285 on: February 08, 2017, 12:28:34 PM »
I wouldn't be against it, but Geoff would have to prove that he is a changed man with a public apology and statement for some of his behavior in the past.  It would have to include Chris and it would have to be a joint agreement that its the final stage of the band and a farewell tour of some kind.  Because to have the band continue in some capacity after this reunion would kind of lose its point.

But I agree with Brent and see it similar to Skid Row.  The guys in the band just don't feel its worth the hassle.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2286 on: February 08, 2017, 12:35:08 PM »

I remember suggesting that for the 25th of Empire this year (with the current lineup), and got ridiculed by the QR fanbase for it.  :lol

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I know to me, it just feels "too soon."  In a few years, I think that is a logical set if a reunion tour hypothetically happened.  I think the problem with "the QR fanbase" weighing in on that is that "the QR fanbase" has seen all of that done to death through the years.  We are naturally burned out on Mindcrime and Empire, and that is hard to overcome.  But the more numerous casual fans that would likely turn out for a reunion show in large numbers haven't necessarily tuned in to every gig and might not feel nearly as burned out on that material.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2287 on: February 08, 2017, 12:36:43 PM »
That's a great point Bosk. Haven't they milked the Mindcrime thing to death already?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2288 on: February 08, 2017, 12:37:15 PM »
I wouldn't be against it, but Geoff would have to prove that he is a changed man with a public apology and statement for some of his behavior in the past.  It would have to include Chris and it would have to be a joint agreement that its the final stage of the band and a farewell tour of some kind.  Because to have the band continue in some capacity after this reunion would kind of lose its point.

I agree that that is what I would want.  And I think that is what the vast majority of folks out there would want.  But I also tend to think that in reality, even if no apology was forthcoming, and it was not clear that it was a "farewell tour," most of us would probably forgive both of those facts once concert dates started to draw near, and we would end up going and still enjoying it.  :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2289 on: February 08, 2017, 12:38:34 PM »
Yeah thats just an ideal scenario.  I would be interested regardless of an apology or not.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2290 on: February 08, 2017, 01:24:28 PM »

But I agree with Brent and see it similar to Skid Row.  The guys in the band just don't feel its worth the hassle.

Brent did bring up a good analogy. And if Wilton, jackson and rockenfield do feel that way, I can't blame them one iota. I mean let's face it, Tate's assault on them, both physically and verbally, was a toll I'm not sure anyone would want to forgive, even five or six years down the line.

In regard to bosk's comments about burnout, good point, but yes and no. Empire, to-date, still hasn't been performed in its entirety. And while the singles have been played to death, deep cuts such as Resistance, One and Only, and Hand on Heart have not been. The latter two made sporadic appearances in 2008/2009, but Resistance hasn't been played since 1992.
Resistance was only played sporadically in 2009, and never again.

As for Mindcrime, you are, of course, right. However, Queensryche hasn't played the record in its entirety now for what...10 years? And while Tate's band of merry men butchered it in 2013 trying to celebrate the 25th of it, it hasn't been trotted out by him again in its entirety (if memory serves) since then (I could be wrong on that). So yeah, burnout, buuuuuttt...if factor in that Queensryche hasn't played it in a decade, and they haven't played it in-full with Chris since 1992, I think people will be interested.

The hardcores may be burned out for sure. But I still think the allure to the common fan of seeing the original band do it, or do some semblance of the Building Empires tour to note both records' anniversaries would be a draw for most.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 01:47:06 PM by AnybodyListening.net »

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2291 on: February 08, 2017, 01:38:43 PM »
I would love to see Resistance and Hand On Heart (although I'm not sure Tate can sing Resistance anymore).  If they played One and Only, I would hope that they would save it for the end of the show, because it would make me stab my eardrums repeatedly, which would then ruin the rest of the show for me. 

But are you sure they didn't play Resistance ever after 1992?  I may be misremembering, but I thought they played it in the latter years.  I seem to even remember discussion about the "Cries the man on the Right" line.  I could have sworn it was in the set I saw in Portland on the Take Cover tour, but according to setlistfm, it wasn't. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2292 on: February 08, 2017, 01:44:37 PM »

But are you sure they didn't play Resistance ever after 1992?  I may be misremembering, but I thought they played it in the latter years.  I seem to even remember discussion about the "Cries the man on the Right" line.  I could have sworn it was in the set I saw in Portland on the Take Cover tour, but according to setlistfm, it wasn't.

Actually, you got me on that one. They played it on the American Soldier tour, rotating it in a few times in the Empire suite. I should know -- I saw it and filmed it.  :lol You didn't want to go to the show with me, if memory serves. It was a weeknight, or a Sunday night, if I believe, and up in a college town. My recording of it is up on youtube somewhere. Tate was horribly off key to start, and then got it together somewhat more after the solo.

But they only played it a few times (I believe) on that tour, in 2009.

Quote from my review:

Crowd favorites such as "Best I Can," "Jet City Woman" and "Another Rainy Night (Without You)" received thunderous ovations, while long-time fans were also treated to a surprising rendition of "Resistance," which is being played for the first time since appearing as the opening number during Queensr˙che's "Building Empires" tour from 1990-1992.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2293 on: February 08, 2017, 01:48:59 PM »
Ah, okay, so I wasn't imagining it after all.  Good to know my mind isn't completely shot (even if I did have the wrong tour).  :lol 

I don't remember why that show didn't work out.  Probably the scheduling.  I do know I wanted to see them on that tour if it had worked out (Mrs. Bosk and I were both VERY disappointed when we discovered after the fact that they had played the same night we landed in New Orleans at the HOB 2 blocks from our hotel). 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2294 on: February 08, 2017, 02:39:48 PM »
I think it would show real weakness from Whip, Scott and Eddie if they ever reunited with Tate after everything that has come out.  Just my opinion, I'd keep Tate away.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2295 on: February 08, 2017, 02:41:42 PM »
I think it would show real weakness from Whip, Scott and Eddie if they ever reunited with Tate after everything that has come out.  Just my opinion, I'd keep Tate away.
Thank you. But I wouldn't put it last them. Look how long they stuck with him. Pretty weak right there,

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2296 on: February 08, 2017, 02:48:10 PM »
Thank you. But I wouldn't put it last them. Look how long they stuck with him. Pretty weak right there,

I always thought that right from the start all the details came to head.  3 vs 1 and they put up with it for 20 years, pfft!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2297 on: February 08, 2017, 02:52:48 PM »
Wolf and TAC -- you're not wrong at all.

My gut tells me that none of this will ever happen. Tate is desperate at this point, which is why I think it is more feasible. I mean, he's literally playing a converted hamburger shack in my town next month with this acoustic show. It's capacity is 200, at MOST. I ate there 10 years ago, it was bought, and converted into a bar, where they added a stage and now host a bunch of real small national acts coming around in the rock/metal/country genres.

But nothing from Queensryche indicates to me that they are unhappy. So unless an offer comes through that is so large they have to consider it (and I am sure they would), I don't see it happening either. But I felt the "temporary" angle to support the album anniversaries was a nice bailout way of keeping some continuity while recognizing some landmarks.

I guess we'll see in the next couple of years...

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2298 on: February 08, 2017, 02:56:53 PM »
I think there is one other very important thing to factor in that history has shown us about this band:  If there is an opportunity to be had that could be great for the band, could boost their image among the fanbase, and could provide handsome revenue, they will find a way to let apathy cause it to slip through their fingers.  Or to put it another way:  The more it makes sense, the higher the likelihood they will find a way to blow it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2299 on: February 08, 2017, 02:57:45 PM »
Maybe the delusion has finally washed off from Tate and he has no choice but to come to terms that he isn't what he was, especially without the band, and never will be.

As you say, time will tell.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2300 on: February 08, 2017, 02:59:53 PM »
I think there is one other very important thing to factor in that history has shown us about this band:  If there is an opportunity to be had that could be great for the band, could boost their image among the fanbase, and could provide handsome revenue, they will find a way to let apathy cause it to slip through their fingers.  Or to put it another way:  The more it makes sense, the higher the likelihood they will find a way to blow it.

Been pretty much par for the course after Empire, hasn't it?  :lol

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2301 on: February 08, 2017, 03:04:28 PM »

To me, boosting their image to their fan base is to stay on the current track and make quality music, no? Does making a cash grab to play a 30 year old Empire boost their image?? I think it cheapens it and washes all of the goodwill and dignity that they have fought so hard to get back over the last couple of years.
But hey, money talks I guess and bulshit...well, that'll be exactly what it is. Bullshit.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2302 on: February 08, 2017, 03:22:49 PM »

To me, boosting their image to their fan base is to stay on the current track and make quality music, no? Does making a cash grab to play a 30 year old Empire boost their image?? I think it cheapens it and washes all of the goodwill and dignity that they have fought so hard to get back over the last couple of years.
But hey, money talks I guess and bulshit...well, that'll be exactly what it is. Bullshit.

Tim's on point here.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2303 on: February 08, 2017, 03:23:58 PM »

Tim's on point here.

Kade's on point there.  :D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2304 on: February 08, 2017, 03:24:54 PM »
Shut up, both of you.  El Dorado rules.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2305 on: February 08, 2017, 03:26:31 PM »
It's more the Chris aspect that makes it interesting.

It would be interesting to see how that would play out, but from an artistic standpoint and for their own state of mind, they are best staying their current course

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2306 on: February 08, 2017, 03:31:31 PM »
It's more the Chris aspect that makes it interesting.

It would be interesting to see how that would play out, but from an artistic standpoint and for their own state of mind, they are best staying their current course

That's the thing. I really don't see Chris ever uniting with current Queensryche to do anything. I could be way off base with that, and it's just me speculating, but I think he'll only do something with the original five guys, or not at all. That's why I tossed the idea out there.

Although behind the scenes, current QR can't be happy with some of the bookings they are getting, publicly, they all seem united. But at the end of the day, I think 2018-2020 is the last feasible time period the original Queensryche could ever truly get together and put on a tour worthwhile of their legacy.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2307 on: February 08, 2017, 03:36:50 PM »
Shut up, both of you.  El Dorado rules.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2308 on: February 08, 2017, 03:41:16 PM »
 :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2309 on: February 08, 2017, 04:01:27 PM »
From what I've seen, the venues that Queensryche have been playing have been pretty small. I'm sure that must frustrating. It looks like a lot of the crowds are in the couple hundreds.

They should be getting on bigger tours as one or two opening bands, that's the only way at this stage of their career that they will make advancements.  But I know there are politics in how that plays out.

And going back to Chris, I'm sure he still itching in some capacity to play one more time.