Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 683397 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #1820 on: October 01, 2015, 06:00:22 PM »
I have the standard edition Kade but if you look at the Wiki you'll see the bonus track situation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condition_H%C3%BCman
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1821 on: October 01, 2015, 06:11:03 PM »
Was planning on just buying the Amazon download, but the CD was listed at only $9.99, and with free shipping, it looks like I'll have an actual hard copy. :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1822 on: October 02, 2015, 04:20:00 AM »
Anyone got those bonus track? Are they worth it? I didn't realise there was a deluxe edition and just went for the regular. HAd a listen last night and nothing really jumped out at me beyond the songs I'd already heard. Brent's report of a dip in the middle felt pretty accurate and I thought it lacked diversity, which the last album had even in its short length. I missed the mixture of clean and high gain guitars that say QR to me as it all seemed heavy guitars, but it was only one quick listen. The vocal melodies mostly felt similar too but I hope repeated listens will bring out the differences.
Sounded excellent though.

I also played the new Trivium and that sounded like a belter  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1823 on: October 02, 2015, 05:31:46 AM »
I have the standard edition Kade but if you look at the Wiki you'll see the bonus track situation

I'll get the deluxe, next week though.  Silly JB, pushed back a week.  :'(

I also played the new Trivium and that sounded like a belter  :metal

Should have no problem getting this one tomorrow.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1825 on: October 02, 2015, 10:11:27 AM »
Just a thought, but it would've been cool if QR had properly remastered the self-titled disc from 2013 and included that as bonus CD for those who bought a deluxe version of Condition Human.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1826 on: October 02, 2015, 11:26:47 AM »
Okay, I'm almost through my first listen, and I'm going to save my overall judgement for later, but two things stood out immediately.

1. It sounds a lot better than the last album.
2. I swear, through either technique of studio magic there are times they are trying to make Todd sound as much like GT as possible.

In any case, a VERY promising first listen overall.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline pfillion

« Reply #1827 on: October 02, 2015, 11:30:13 AM »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1828 on: October 02, 2015, 12:30:14 PM »

Aw, this is going to suck. I don't have a vinyl player  :-[

By the way...I think I like the self titled release more than Condition Human at least from these two times that I have listened to CH. Not taking into account the mastering issues on the self titled, the self titled sounds a bit more dynamic as far as the music goes. CH sounds the same on most of the songs. I need a few more spins before passing final judgement.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1829 on: October 02, 2015, 01:16:17 PM »
Fantastic album.  Great artwork.

This is exactly what I want from modern day Queensryche.  Sounds old school with a modern touch.  Awesome!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1830 on: October 02, 2015, 01:38:31 PM »
Wow, this is really good.

This is what I wanted the last album to be, but they were still finding their footing so its all good. This album on the other hand in really pretty damn good.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1831 on: October 02, 2015, 03:20:03 PM »
Has anybody picked up the jewel case version? I went to Best Buy and was going to buy a copy but when I grabbed, something sounded loose. I checked all of the remaining copies, and every single one had the same sound. Do you guys know if there's anything inside the cd like a flyer or something? It definitely sounded like a lose cd but, for all of the copies to have that same sound, was a bit odd.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1832 on: October 02, 2015, 03:50:40 PM »
Has anybody picked up the jewel case version? I went to Best Buy and was going to buy a copy but when I grabbed, something sounded loose. I checked all of the remaining copies, and every single one had the same sound. Do you guys know if there's anything inside the cd like a flyer or something? It definitely sounded like a lose cd but, for all of the copies to have that same sound, was a bit odd.

I got the jewel case and the disc fell out as soon as I opened it.  Nothing was broken, it just appears to be a poorly designed case.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1833 on: October 02, 2015, 05:12:23 PM »

I find a lot of the time that this is the actually booklet which just isn't a perfect fit to the case and slightly moves up and down giving off the sound something is broken.  You should be able to see if this is the problem.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1834 on: October 02, 2015, 10:17:46 PM »
2. I swear, through either technique of studio magic there are times they are trying to make Todd sound as much like GT as possible.

That was my exact thought when first hearing Arrow of Time. Holy shit. It sounded more like Geoff than Todd.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1835 on: October 03, 2015, 09:18:34 AM »
The title track is one of the best songs I've ever heard from QR.  Awesome song.

On a side note, I really don't remember the last new release that I bought that had the old school black cd holder.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1836 on: October 03, 2015, 12:55:25 PM »
This album's great. Bulletproof, Eye9 and the title track are all particularly fantastic!
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #1837 on: October 03, 2015, 03:34:24 PM »
Yeah, I like this album a lot, especially Just Us, Condition Human, Bulletproof, Guardian, Eye 9, and Hellfire. Hopefully many of these new songs will be included in the upcoming shows--it's ridiculous how their setlists have been practically identical for over 2 years.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1838 on: October 03, 2015, 04:06:23 PM »

That was my exact thought when first hearing Arrow of Time. Holy shit. It sounded more like Geoff than Todd.  :lol

Well, considering that's how Todd sounds live, I'm not thinking there's any studio shenanigans.  It is uncanny though, and given how much of a dick Tater has turned into, when I hear early QR, I picture Todd now.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Deathless

« Reply #1839 on: October 03, 2015, 04:23:14 PM »
There are very few albums I enjoy front to back these days, and this is one of them. Even after the final track finishes I'm not fatigued from listening to it.

That, and the production and guitar work just has me so happy. Congrats to the guys on a great album.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1840 on: October 03, 2015, 05:38:25 PM »
After one listen i wasn't too impressed... But this album has quickly grown on me and i think it is great. So many great songs. If anyone is on the fence about getting this album i suggest going for it

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1841 on: October 04, 2015, 02:35:01 AM »
After one listen i wasn't too impressed... But this album has quickly grown on me and i think it is great. So many great songs. If anyone is on the fence about getting this album i suggest going for it

Reading the various reviews, I might.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1842 on: October 05, 2015, 01:31:40 AM »
Finally gave it a proper listen all the way through. I love it. I freaking love it. This is what I wanted.  The self-titled was good, but Condition Human is the comeback. Bulletproof is my favorite here. Just Us is a really good light song. All There Was is a great rocker. Pretty much every track is worth a listen. We have our long song at the end, we have a longer album length, the production doesn't irritate my ears as much. Combine this with that Dream Theater-esque album art, and yeah, I do believe we have a winner. This will probably be in my top ten of 2015 for sure.

Not sure there's anything on this I'd rank a masterpiece, but I'd easily rank this among the classics. I certainly enjoyed it the same way I enjoy the early stuff. And I can happily say "they're back".
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1843 on: October 05, 2015, 05:44:30 AM »
^ Yeah... it's superior to the s/t release in every way mentioned.  I really like the s/t, but it was marred by the horrible production, and brevity.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1844 on: October 07, 2015, 09:04:55 PM »
After plenty of listens I'm putting this in the "good" category.

I don't think any one song really shines more than others, but my faves are Toxic Remedy, Bulletproof, Eye9, and Condition Human.

I'm just not sold on Todd's vocals and I don't think that'll change, and some of the songs don't have a lot of variation and seem to follow the same formula.

Its still miles above the last few Tate led efforts and that is a big positive.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1845 on: October 11, 2015, 04:15:43 AM »
Got my copy and having my first listen and up to All There Was.

Sounds good.  Not quite feeling it, but seems like a grower. 

I know what you mean regards to the solos Brent.  Michael sounds a bit weird here, Just Us was particullary awkward sounding.  And yeah man, the digi version I got has Espiritu Muerto as the bonus track.

Nothing yet is matching the beauty of In This Light or A World Without.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1846 on: October 11, 2015, 04:40:06 AM »
Hmmm....I don't know what to make of this album.  Found it difficult to listen to on the first listen.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1847 on: October 11, 2015, 05:20:33 AM »
I think Guardian, Toxic Remedy, Bullet Proof and the title track are my favourites

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1848 on: October 11, 2015, 05:43:37 AM »
Hmmm....I don't know what to make of this album.  Found it difficult to listen to on the first listen.

It grew on me 3rd and 4th time around - aside from the solos :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1849 on: October 11, 2015, 06:17:51 AM »
I´m gonna say something controversal here. I like the Tate album better. It´s musically way more diverse, risky and, it just sounds better. Flamesuit on.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1850 on: October 11, 2015, 09:25:43 AM »
I´m gonna say something controversal here. I like the Tate album better. It´s musically way more diverse, risky and, it just sounds better. Flamesuit on.

:omg:

:justjen

Nah, doesn't compute.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1851 on: October 11, 2015, 09:47:47 AM »
I'm going to record a review for this tonight.   This album is just getting better and better with every listen.   

Right now, I'd say my favorites are Hellfire, Eye9 and the title track.   But honestly, there's only about 1 minutes worth of music on this album I don't like, and that would be the intro and outro for Just Us...which is really REALLY bad.  As in...dreck.  It is so unlike the rest of the song too, so it's surprising to me that it's even there.   I'm planning on making a mix of that song which cuts off the first 34 seconds so the song will just begin with the main acoustic strumming riff.    But then that dreadful crap ends the song too, so maybe I can fade it out early.    The rest of the song is actually really good.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1852 on: October 11, 2015, 03:09:26 PM »

:omg:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1853 on: October 11, 2015, 09:54:40 PM »
Hey folks, my review for your reading (or, at bottom of page, listening) pleasure.

https://wpapu.com/review-queensryche-condition-human/
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1854 on: October 11, 2015, 10:22:49 PM »
Great write-up Nick!   I'm right with you on most points.   

I just filmed my new review and I'm waiting for it to upload...
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude