Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 692419 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #1400 on: November 25, 2014, 12:22:31 AM »
Metal All Stars with Geoff Tate - Jet City Woman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvcXvAZ2Nbk

That first verse... :|

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1401 on: November 25, 2014, 12:30:03 AM »
Well that's one way to make Geoff look good  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1402 on: November 25, 2014, 04:15:05 AM »
Do you think the whole band just agreed to pawn the fuck out of him with that verse?  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1403 on: November 25, 2014, 07:27:17 AM »
Do you think the whole band just agreed to pawn the fuck out of him with that verse?  :lol
Do what?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1404 on: November 25, 2014, 02:48:23 PM »
Do what?

I got the term wrong didn't I?  'pwn' is that it.  I mean 'own' him, fuck him over.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1405 on: November 25, 2014, 02:49:57 PM »
So they did that on purpose and it wasn't a huge cluster fuck all around?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1406 on: November 25, 2014, 02:52:02 PM »
So they did that on purpose and it wasn't a huge cluster fuck all around?

I don't think so, I was just joking.  But it does seem like they all fucked at the same when Geoff is suppose to start singing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1407 on: November 25, 2014, 02:54:33 PM »
I hope James LaBrie is doing better.

Also, was Jet City Woman written by Tate, or is that just the only song he's able to sort of sing properly anymore?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1408 on: November 25, 2014, 02:58:33 PM »
Also, was Jet City Woman written by Tate, or is that just the only song he's able to sort of sing properly anymore?

No, he did not write it.  And, no, he cannot sing it properly, unless you count croaking out half the lyrics to something that vaguely sounds like the original vocal melody with the song tuned down a full step.  But he knows it is one of the songs people recognize, so he does it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1409 on: November 25, 2014, 03:10:04 PM »

No, he did not write it.  And, no, he cannot sing it properly, unless you count croaking out half the lyrics to something that vaguely sounds like the original vocal melody with the song tuned down a full step.  But he knows it is one of the songs people recognize, so he does it.

That's why I said sort of. Like bad karaoke.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1410 on: November 25, 2014, 03:14:29 PM »
James is doing fine, but if you're familiar with Impermanent Resonance, you'll know that this is not how I Got You is supposed to sound. Hell, even if this is your first time with the song, you'll see how awful the backing band on it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15zTFKBS_0w  :biggrin:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1411 on: November 25, 2014, 03:20:30 PM »
James is doing fine, but if you're familiar with Impermanent Resonance, you'll know that this is not how I Got You is supposed to sound. Hell, even if this is your first time with the song, you'll see how awful the backing band on it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15zTFKBS_0w  :biggrin:

Yeah, that's a pretty big screw up. :neverusethis:

Offline crawl_away

« Reply #1412 on: November 25, 2014, 03:29:23 PM »

Well, he did write it. At least the lyrics. Which are generally believed to be 50 percent of a song's creative worth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_City_Woman#cite_note-1

https://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=22460

Just reading the last page of this thread, I have a concern to raise. If users are expected to be respectful to all members of Dream Theater, does this also extend to members of other bands? Because whatever Geoff Tate may be guilty of, does it not lower the standards of the entire DTF board when we rip personally on Geoff in this thread? (I would say the same point  is beginning to apply to the Mike Portnoy thread). This thread is edging close to the comments you might find on Blabbermouth. Something to be avoided me-thinks :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1413 on: November 25, 2014, 03:39:46 PM »
Well, he did write it. At least the lyrics. Which are generally believed to be 50 percent of a song's creative worth. 

Writing some of the lyrics is not the same thing as writing the song.  So, no, Geoff Tate did not write Jet City Woman.  And I have no idea why you say lyrics "are generally believed to be 50 percent of a song's creative worth."  That is not generally considered true in the music industry, and I do not believe I have ever heard anyone say they believe that (well, except maybe Geoff Tate, who apparently believes that writing lyrics is all that matters).

Just reading the last page of this thread, I have a concern to raise. If users are expected to be respectful to all members of Dream Theater, does this also extend to members of other bands?

No.  This is a Dream Theater discussion forum, not a Dream Theater and other bands discussion forum.  The purpose of this forum is not to promote other bands.  People are free to discuss things other than Dream Theater (and are encouraged to do so, if they like), but that is not the purpose of this forum.  People are free to be critical, provided they do not bait or attack others in doing so.

And I am not sure what comments about Tate you are referring to, but the vast majority of what is in this thread about him is either factual or is opinion about his performances, so I'm not sure what in particular you are taking issue with.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1414 on: November 25, 2014, 03:40:25 PM »
Geoff Tate is a raging douche nozzle, and deserves any negativity towards him... except physical violence.... But I hold out hope that James LaBrie kicks him in the nuts on the all stars tour.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1415 on: November 25, 2014, 03:41:16 PM »
Okay, well maybe some posts in this thread have crossed the "bad taste" line just a bit...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1416 on: November 25, 2014, 03:44:21 PM »
Just reading the last page of this thread, I have a concern to raise. If users are expected to be respectful to all members of Dream Theater, does this also extend to members of other bands? Because whatever Geoff Tate may be guilty of, does it not lower the standards of the entire DTF board when we rip personally on Geoff in this thread? (I would say the same point  is beginning to apply to the Mike Portnoy thread). This thread is edging close to the comments you might find on Blabbermouth. Something to be avoided me-thinks :)

Sorry mate, since you're talking about Geoff Tate, your arguments are invalid.  This board has always shown respect and I have never wanted to discuss music with such fine, mature people.

Most of us here that talk shit about Geoff have been long time fans of the band and are just giving Geoff back the lack of respect he gives his fans.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1417 on: November 25, 2014, 03:50:16 PM »
Most of us here that talk shit about Geoff have been long time fans of the band and are just giving Geoff back the lack of respect he gives his fans.

... That's what I meant.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1418 on: November 25, 2014, 04:07:35 PM »
I don't think so, I was just joking.  But it does seem like they all fucked at the same when Geoff is suppose to start singing.

The self preservation instinct can be a powerful thing....
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1419 on: November 25, 2014, 04:41:02 PM »
That Jet City Woman clip was hard to watch.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1420 on: November 25, 2014, 04:45:27 PM »

Which is why I didn't watch it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1421 on: November 25, 2014, 04:48:31 PM »
James, on the other hand, sounds great. Much better band too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GWc0UXzqb0
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1422 on: November 25, 2014, 05:19:28 PM »
James, on the other hand, sounds great. Much better band too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GWc0UXzqb0

Except on I Got You.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1423 on: November 26, 2014, 01:38:34 AM »
I'll admit that I did make a post a few pages back that was "borderline" nasty and abusive about GT. However, I think that WK's comment about that subject just about covers my feelings about it as well. I'd be ecstatic if he redeemed himself and proved every negative feeling that many of us have about him wrong. GT has a very long way to go to ever get to that point, though.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1424 on: November 26, 2014, 02:03:26 AM »

Which is why I didn't watch it.

I watched about 45 seconds, then I said what the hell am I doing and turned it off.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1425 on: November 26, 2014, 03:11:47 AM »

Yeah, that's a pretty big screw up. :neverusethis:
aaaaaaaaaaah shit I was sending this to someone else :lol :lol :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1426 on: November 26, 2014, 10:15:44 AM »
Anyway, speaking of Queensryche. Honestly, I'm not too impressed by the incentives for the fundraising campaign. Some of the higher ones in the $100s are pretty amazing, and really well priced for die hard Queensryche fans, but nothing in the double digits makes me want to pay for this album ahead of time.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Deathless

« Reply #1427 on: February 26, 2015, 09:13:35 AM »
Queensryche announced last night that they will be opening for The Scorpions during their fall North American tour! Some great exposure for the guys with a new album out!

Dates so far:
Sep. 10 - Blue Hills Bank Pavilion - Boston, MA
Sep. 12 - Barclays Center - Brooklyn, NY
Sep. 13 - Meadowbrook - Gilford, NH
Sep. 18 - Molson Canadian Amphitheatre - Toronto, ON
Sep. 19 - Bell Centre - Montreal, QC
Sep. 22 - LC Pavilion - Columbus, OH
Sep. 23 - Jacobs Pavilion at Nautica - Cleveland, OH
Sep. 25 - Caesar’s Windsor - Windsor, ON
Sep. 26 - Allstate Arena - Chicago, IL
Oct. 01 - SAP Center - San Jose, CA
Oct. 03 - The Forum - Los Angeles, CA

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1428 on: February 26, 2015, 09:32:30 AM »
Hopefully more dates are added

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1429 on: February 26, 2015, 10:34:04 AM »
That is great news.  They are never going to rise back out of obscurity if they do not do more of this sort of promotion.  Not sure what is holding them back.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1430 on: April 03, 2015, 01:49:36 PM »
For fun, I just went to queensryche.com, and I realized that it forwards to Tate's new OperationMindcrime band (operationmindcrime.com).  I'm surprised the queensryche.com domain didn't go to the real QR guys. 

:huh:
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1431 on: April 03, 2015, 01:55:21 PM »
For fun, I just went to queensryche.com, and I realized that it forwards to Tate's new OperationMindcrime band (operationmindcrime.com).  I'm surprised the queensryche.com domain didn't go to the real QR guys. 

https://queensrycheofficial.com/

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1432 on: April 04, 2015, 11:32:54 PM »

Tate's people had control of the website, facebook, and other such sites before the split. So before any legal issues got settled the guys had to create all new pages for everything. While that was clearly bullshit, at the time there was no other choice. Having then built up their new site and social media pages it likely wasn't worth the hassle of trying to completely shut down the old stuff. Easier to just let Geoff have it and be done. Considering the only following he is going to have going forward is clingers on from his time in Queensryche, you can bet he would have drawn things out even more had they made a serious attempt to take that.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1433 on: April 06, 2015, 08:29:25 AM »
The fact that this thread has languished for so long and was bumped only, basically, because of a mistake is a good indication of this band's trajectory.  Sad to say that any bump in goodwill and popularity the band saw when they released their last album is a faded memory that has been squandered by them sitting on their hands and doing pretty much nothing.  As much as I hate to say it, it looks like Geoff was right about the band's lack of motivation and business savvy. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1434 on: April 06, 2015, 08:39:46 AM »
You could argue that they haven't done enough publicity but IMO they haven't been inactive at all.   They're gigging all through April (incl.MOR Cruise) and have been providing at least weekly studio updates/outtakes on the new album to their Pledgers.  Two Facebook updates in the last 24 hrs.  There's a lot worse out there.

Tate has had one Facebook update in 2 months and no news on his website since 2014.  No real gigs either of late aside from those laughable tribute shows

:lol

« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 08:56:12 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au