Author Topic: Why Does Being "Classy" Matter So Much?  (Read 3513 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Why Does Being "Classy" Matter So Much?
« on: August 09, 2011, 12:25:18 PM »
I can't be the only one who's noticed that both in this board and the media in general that how "classy" people act in public seems to be the primary metric through which they're judged.

Let's look at James Harrison, the Steelers linebacker who's infamous for mouthing off about what he sees as injustices in the NFL.  And, before that, he was well-known for illegally holding down and pushing around an opposing player trying to cover a punt return.  His latest incident was an article in a magazine where he was quoted as saying his teammates Ben Roethlisberger and Rashard Mendenhall were partly to blame for losing the Superbowl due to under-performance.  

The number one thing I heard people say about these comments was that they were classless.  I don't see why this matters.  The bigger issue is that he was publicly insulting his teammates and creating problems in the media that his coaches and team managers would have to deal with.  What does that have to do with class?  Don Draper is maybe the classiest character on TV, he also relentlessly cheats on his wife and deliberately fabricates his identity.  Why does his classiness matter?

Why does it bother me?  On a basic level, it makes discussing anything uninteresting.  The most interesting part of Harrison's comments in Men's magazine was the potential effect it could have on his team.  Instead of really discussing that, the narrative in the media was that Tomlin knew how to deal with this stuff well and would take care of it.  Well, even if that's true, then that's interesting.  Why is Tomlin such an effective leader?  Is he a better coach now than Belichick?  These things are more interesting to talk about then whether or not Harrison was classless or not, whatever that means.

Which is the other thing I don't get.  Basically, measuring people by their classiness means we're assessing whether or not they act like an acceptable class of people.  Aside from the elitistness of this thinking (traditionally, those most associated with class are the rich who don't want the under-dwellers of society tainting them), aren't we basically saying we want celebrities to act in a manner most acceptable to us because we feel they're supposed to live up to our standards instead of the other way around?  Why?  

Look at Michael Jordan.  Greatest basketball player ever and inordinately rich from his ability to market himself.  Why is he supposed to live up to what we want him to be?  What have we done with our lives?  Michael Jordan doesn't care what you thinking of his drinking, gambling, cigar smoking, and womanizing.  The only reason he maintains such a marketable public image is because he wants to keep getting checks for Hanes advertisements.  I'm not saying all public figures are in Michael Jordan's situation, or that public figures, even ones that have accomplished great things, are above right and wrong, just that our perception of who needs to conduct themselves according to who's standards is skewed.  Instead of being outraged over Michael Jordan having a gambling problem, maybe you should try having even a tenth of a percent of his work ethic.

Finally, the whole notion of class gets away from the notion of character.  Is Peyton Manning a good guy because he conducts himself well in interviews, is funny on SNL, and carries the good-old southern boy thing well?  Or is he a good guy because he's humble, works his ass off to be a great quarterback, treats other people as he expects to be treated, and by all accounts intensely values having personal integrity not only as a football player but as a person?  I'd say the second, but the first is all society seems to care about.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:36:26 PM by ReaPsTA »
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Why Does Being "Classy" Matter So Much?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 12:30:21 PM »
Society, man.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 12:35:45 PM »
A lot of importance seems to be put on these celebrities being perfect role models, but I don't care so much. I know they're just people, and they're just like the rest of us. I don't personally feel they're obligated to be any "classier" than the rest of us.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 01:07:15 PM »
I think some dipshits feel like the money they've spent contributing to the wealth of celebrities(movie tickets, DVDs, CDs, books, etc.) entitles them to the celebrity having to conduct themselves in a way that won't offend their "sensibilities." Shit, people act that way toward celebs whose wealth they haven't even contributed a nickel to as well. That's a small reason why no matter how much he may put his foot in his mouth at times, I still usually like Charles Barkley at the end of the day(he was one of the first celebs to be outspoken on the standpoint of "fuck you, learn to raise your own kid and stop relying on celebs to set the examples you're apparently failing to.")
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 01:20:49 PM »
The whole notion of "being classy" (and on the flip side, accusing others of being "classless") has been one of my pet peeves with sports culture over the past few years.  I've made a couple posts to that effect, I believe.  It's dumb.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 01:31:07 PM »
The whole notion of "being classy" (and on the flip side, accusing others of being "classless") has been one of my pet peeves with sports culture over the past few years.  I've made a couple posts to that effect, I believe.  It's dumb.

I used sports because it's probably where the class thing is the worst and it's where I could remember specific examples the best, but the class thing has permeated all of media now.
Over and over again

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 01:43:09 PM »
I saw someone say something on TV once that went along the lines of, "The bias of the mainstream media is toward sensationalism and laziness".

Obviously, that quote doesn't tell the whole story. We could talk about media bias and politics all day, but I think the basic idea there is right: The media likes to say the easy thing that will arouse people's emotions the most.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 01:58:10 PM »
I agree with those points.

I think that the media tends to look for, and imprint "storylines" upon people and events, to make them more presentable and compelling.  Presenting the lives of the rich and famous through the lens of a moral filter is one of these ways, and it tends to manifest itself into a skewed perception of reality.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 02:01:18 PM »
I saw someone say something on TV once that went along the lines of, "The bias of the mainstream media is toward sensationalism and laziness".

Obviously, that quote doesn't tell the whole story. We could talk about media bias and politics all day, but I think the basic idea there is right: The media likes to say the easy thing that will arouse people's emotions the most.

This is all true, but when why is American culture as a whole adopting "class" as a means to discuss public figures?

I think some dipshits feel like the money they've spent contributing to the wealth of celebrities(movie tickets, DVDs, CDs, books, etc.) entitles them to the celebrity having to conduct themselves in a way that won't offend their "sensibilities." Shit, people act that way toward celebs whose wealth they haven't even contributed a nickel to as well. That's a small reason why no matter how much he may put his foot in his mouth at times, I still usually like Charles Barkley at the end of the day(he was one of the first celebs to be outspoken on the standpoint of "fuck you, learn to raise your own kid and stop relying on celebs to set the examples you're apparently failing to.")

When money gets into the equation, things get a little more complicated.  Part of the reason I like to pay for DT's stuff is that I think the bandmembers themselves deserve it.  If for some reason they started acting like total assholes, I might be less willing to pay for albums.

And I agree with you about Barkely, and I agree with what Barkely said.  Bill Simmons wrote something about how athletes are meant to entertain and inspire, which I also agree with.  But I think we confuse people who are inspirational with people who are role models.  Michael Jordan is one of the most inspirational human beings ever.  But while I refuse to get righteous about it (although some of the stuff he did with cheating on his wife was pretty low), a role model he is not.  But I don't think this is a bad thing.

I think that the media tends to look for, and imprint "storylines" upon people and events, to make them more presentable and compelling.  Presenting the lives of the rich and famous through the lens of a moral filter is one of these ways, and it tends to manifest itself into a skewed perception of reality.

Good point.
Over and over again

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 04:28:54 PM »

The best is when celebrities get caught doing pot and you have parent groups demanding they hold a press conference to apologize. Or they might get ridiculed as if they committed some heinous act, like when Tim Lincecum got caught doing it a year or so ago and kept getting heckled by, ironically, people who were drunk.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 05:35:44 PM »

This is all true, but when why is American culture as a whole adopting "class" as a means to discuss public figures?

I don't know. "Class" is one of those words that has lost all meaning to me. I literally have no idea what it refers to anymore.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 05:37:11 PM »
being classy matters because if we are classless then we'd be communist
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 06:07:15 PM »
This all reminds me a lot of the concept of "heroification" and "villification" in American history books. You know, how we make Helen Keller out to be a hero on every account but completely glaze over the fact that she was a gigantic radical.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 06:12:06 PM »
because Ron Burgundy told me so
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 06:13:40 PM »
in all honesty, is there a real reason to not act classy? like i'm all for being an internet troll, but why do you need to be an asshole in real life?
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline j

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 06:15:16 PM »
I don't know what the word is intended to mean, and I agree with the assessment of the sports media's obsession with it.  I'd throw the term "unsportsmanlike" in there as well.

That said, when interpreted as something like "showing a certain level of respect for other people", I think it IS important as a *concept*.

-J

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 06:20:20 PM »
in all honesty, is there a real reason to not act classy? like i'm all for being an internet troll, but why do you need to be an asshole in real life?
Because I hate myself?  :millahhhh :millahhhh :millahhhh
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 08:12:51 PM »
I hate being classy. When I go to a restaurant and order a 16oz sirloin, it shouldn't be frowned upon if I eat it with my bare hands.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 08:15:02 PM »
I really don't care too much how I am perceived at school.  If that means I end up spending most class periods blankly staring at the lecture while covering my desk with scalp dust, then so be it; I learned what I was supposed to during class, making it a successful period. 

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 10:26:43 PM »
I hate being classy. When I go to a restaurant and order a 16oz sirloin, it shouldn't be frowned upon if I eat it with my bare hands.

:lol Not even a knife? I've tried eating a steak as if it was a cookie and it sucked badly. The strands of meat seemed like they were super-glued between my teeth and it didn't all come out for a couple days and a few more brushings than I usually do per day.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 04:50:06 AM »
Is Peyton Manning a good guy because he conducts himself well in interviews, is funny on SNL, and carries the good-old southern boy thing well?  Or is he a good guy because he's humble, works his ass off to be a great quarterback, treats other people as he expects to be treated, and by all accounts intensely values having personal integrity not only as a football player but as a person?  I'd say the second, but the first is all society seems to care about.
You are separating into two questions what is really one thing, not two. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 04:56:52 AM »

:lol Not even a knife? I've tried eating a steak as if it was a cookie and it sucked badly. The strands of meat seemed like they were super-glued between my teeth and it didn't all come out for a couple days and a few more brushings than I usually do per day.

Nothing.... Not even a moist towelette.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 05:05:30 AM »

Do you always not use silverware or just on certain occasions?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 05:12:22 AM »

Do you always not use silverware or just on certain occasions?

I use it all the time. I've actually only eaten steak wih my hands once and it was one of my most fun experiences with food, ever.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 10:00:59 AM »
Is Peyton Manning a good guy because he conducts himself well in interviews, is funny on SNL, and carries the good-old southern boy thing well?  Or is he a good guy because he's humble, works his ass off to be a great quarterback, treats other people as he expects to be treated, and by all accounts intensely values having personal integrity not only as a football player but as a person?  I'd say the second, but the first is all society seems to care about.

I don't understand.
Over and over again

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 12:11:36 PM »

ReaPsTA is defining, by example, the distinction between class and character.  Being classy (or not) is how you act in public.  Treating others respectfully, having a personality that others can appreciate, that sort of thing.  Your character is more how you act when there's no one watching or when there's no obvious reward.  Working hard not because it will lead to more money or success, but because you believe that if you're gonna do something, you do it up.  Being honest, even when there is literally no chance you'll be caught and a big payoff involved if you just do that one thing.

At least, that's how I interpreted it.  I always sortuv lumped the two concepts together, but now I think I see the distinction, if I'm reading it right.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 12:14:35 PM »

ReaPsTA is defining, by example, the distinction between class and character.  Being classy (or not) is how you act in public.  Treating others respectfully, having a personality that others can appreciate, that sort of thing.  Your character is more how you act when there's no one watching or when there's no obvious reward.  Working hard not because it will lead to more money or success, but because you believe that if you're gonna do something, you do it up.

At least, that's how I interpreted it.  I always sortuv lumped the two concepts together, but now I think I see the distinction, if I'm reading it right.

Yep, you got what I was saying pretty much exactly.
Over and over again

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2011, 09:39:05 AM »
 Fuck you, San Diego!
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2011, 11:28:39 AM »
Classy.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2011, 11:39:01 AM »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2011, 11:41:48 AM »
That's one of the poorest attempts of aristocratic language I have ever seen :lol

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2011, 03:49:26 PM »
I like what Reap is selling.
I'll buy a big classy pile of it actually.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2011, 07:58:38 PM »
That's one of the poorest attempts of aristocratic language I have ever seen :lol

rumborak

I kinda works because that's pretty much how Fry would attempt to say it in that manner.