Author Topic: IPOD HELP!  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
IPOD HELP!
« on: August 06, 2011, 06:24:32 PM »
For those with iPods (maybe not something exclusive to ipods), I'm having a problem that just started today. My girlfriend plugged her iPod Nano 6 into my radio AUX plug today (something she does all the time with no problems) but today it began making a whistling interference after I turned the volume up. It does it regardless of the volume level too. I plugged mine in and it doesn't do it at all, so what gives? I searched online and found a solution:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SNI135/PAC-SNI-1-3-5-Noise-Filter.html?search=ground+noise&tp=2653
(cheaper on eBay)

But I want to know why her iPod is doing this all of a sudden. Help me DTF, you're my only hope...

inb4 lol iPod, Zune is better blah blah blah

Offline Tripp

• "Just because I OD'ed doesn't mean I do drugs"
Re: IPOD HELP!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 06:34:06 PM »
The first thing you could try doing is restoring the iPod, usually fixes most issues. I'd go with that if you haven't already tried it.

And if it still continues to make the whistling noise, either do this: Use a new cable, use a different radio (both for trial and error) if you try a combination of each, and it's still making the noise. there is a good chance it could be an internal issue, most likely the Aux Port.
hi

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 06:39:42 PM »
The first thing you could try doing is restoring the iPod, usually fixes most issues. I'd go with that if you haven't already tried it.

And if it still continues to make the whistling noise, either do this: Use a new cable, use a different radio (both for trial and error) if you try a combination of each, and it's still making the noise. there is a good chance it could be an internal issue, most likely the Aux Port.

Well like I said, I have the same Ipod and don't have this problem. I just checked earlier to confirm this. I also don't have another radio to test it on. I suppose I could restore it, but I'm pretty sure it's not the cord or the AUX port. I know she's not going to like the fact of putting all her music on again...

Thanks for the reply.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 07:03:06 PM »
I hate iPods.  I've owned about 4 or 5, and each one breaks between 1-2 years.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 08:23:33 PM »
Not a software problem I believe.  You probably have a loose connection.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 09:01:26 PM »
Not a software problem I believe.  You probably have a loose connection.

If this were the case, why does my iPod not experience this problem?

I just don't understand.... The fact that this happened out of nowhere baffles me.

I was telling my GF that she needed to turn the volume up louder than normal when using the AUX port, and after I turned up the volume on my stereo the frequency whistles started.

Also, Apple is no help because they can only troubleshoot if it's an earphone problem. PLUUUUUH!!!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 09:17:40 PM »
loose connection on the iPod.  I had that happen to a 30 GB one.  I use it as a HD now.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 09:40:45 PM »
Ok, this makes no sense, but I seemed to have solved the problem. I discovered that it only makes the whistling noise when the volume on the iPod is low. I turned the volume limit to max and the volume to max, and alas, the whistling went away. On my iPod, the volume limit is maxed, but the volume isn't, and it doesn't make the noise. My girlfriend's iPod may be slightly retarded.

There is however a faint hiss when the volume is turned up on both iPods, so I might just get the noise filter anyway.

Thanks for your responses. :tup

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 11:56:54 AM »
That's why I use the line out on the iPod dock.  Too bad you have to buy it now, I got two docks from when they still came with the iPod.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 10:25:31 AM »
Rather than start a new thread.

I offered to add music to a woman's iPod Classic 160 gig (2 years old).

It went mostly well, it froze up a couple times when loading large amounts, and it was pretty slow..though I don't know much about iPod's. I added about 15 gig. Next day I return it to her, she's thrilled with the amount of tunes however it freezes up ever 8 to 10 songs or so.

Thoughts?
Solutions?
Wipe it clean and re-fill?

Software is latest version.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 10:28:05 AM »
I'd wipe it and put the music on again.

I have a 160gb classic that is almost a year old and it's pretty well full of crap and I have no problems with it, I use it around 4 hours a day everyday too.

Also I wanted to add that make sure that iTunes is the only program managing the iPod. Early this year I had a problem when winamp decided that it would like to sync with my iPod so I had a very similar problem where the iPod would consistently lock up. I got rid of winamp, wiped the ipod and used itunes exclusively (transcopy is good too) and no problems.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 11:14:06 AM »
Noted.
Thank you.

I'll try a wipe clean I assume iTunes will offer me a "restore" iPod to factory settings or something like that and wipe it clean?

Thanks again.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 11:16:29 AM »
Does her ipod work with headphones?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 11:54:53 AM »
Noted.
Thank you.

I'll try a wipe clean I assume iTunes will offer me a "restore" iPod to factory settings or something like that and wipe it clean?

Thanks again.

yup it'll just restore with the newest firmware.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 05:38:06 PM »
it did, shockingly enough.
When I plugged it in the first time and asked if it had the latest it said "YES"...then when I did a "restore"...it mysteriously found three updates to fix none issues.

It's gobbling music up as I speak.

Yes it works with headphones, it just kept freezing every 5-10 songs or so.
I haven't tried listening to anything since the restore, I'm still filling it.

Will update later.

thanks again.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 07:55:35 PM »
YtseBitsySpider, I had the same problem and this definitely fixed it:

The problem is with your HDD on iPod.

1. It's not the songs fault - when the iPod is formatted and the disk restored, the songs that once were broken or with errors are now suddenly fixed.

Solution:

1. Go to disk mode (plugged in in your pc):
- RESET iPod (menu+center buttons), immediately while it is reseting
- DISK MODE (centre+play/pause buttons).
2. While in disk mode full format it from DOS (COMMAND PROMPT; just type cmd in the start menu, click enter). My iPod was seen as disk F: -it can be g: as well or any letter it assigns to your iPod- so:
format f: FS:FAT32 /Q (Q is quick but F (/F) Full is what you need). This may take a while, like an hour or thirty minutes. Be patient.
3. Reassign the name of your (iPod's) Hard Drive (F:, G:, ...)
4. RESET iPod (menu + center).
5. Restore in iTunes

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 05:29:43 AM »
^^well that is just a tad more complicated than the --restore to original-- I did out of iTunes.

Should it start to hiccup again I'll certainly book mark this thread for that little nugget.

One thing I noticed is after I re-filled her iPod with music none of the album covers came over.

Grrrrr.....

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 06:04:08 AM »
make sure that the cover is actually appended to the id3 mp3 tag.

Check out Tag&Rename for batch editing for mp3 on your comp.