Author Topic: Six Feet Under (TV show) Appreciation (tons of spoilers)  (Read 17837 times)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Six Feet Under (TV show) Appreciation (tons of spoilers)
« Reply #105 on: May 09, 2016, 11:11:33 AM »
Fios

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #106 on: May 09, 2016, 12:22:49 PM »
OK.  I'm with Time-Warner Cable.  It may be slightly different from service to service.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2016, 05:59:20 PM »
Started Season 3. Holy shit what a start but that episode and the next episode have a lot of light and bloom so I'm not sure if I'm seeing things or if the show is trying to make this a dream sequence from here on out.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2016, 10:15:50 AM »
It's cool to see this show still picking up plenty of new followers so many years later. It deserves it.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2016, 10:58:28 AM »
Fuck yeah!
Orcus, I always tell first-timers that things get a bit weird in 3 and 4 but stick with it!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2016, 11:44:41 AM »
I haven't had much luck in that regard.

My brother started watching shortly after I did and got through like a season and a half pretty quickly, but then got really busy with work, put it on the back burner, and has never gotten back to it.

My cousin watched two episodes and said it didn't grab him at all.

I've mentioned it to a few other friends, but none of them have HBO Go.

Oh well.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2016, 12:00:00 PM »
I'm about a third of the way through Season 3 but Lisa seems batshit enough where I wouldn't be surprised if it is revealed later on that it's not Nate's child at all and that the whole thing was setup because she was jealous of Brenda. Soap operaish cliche but I wouldn't put it past her character.

One thing the show is doing that a lot of shows seem to do is the story is at a point where you have main characters that the writers really have no idea what to do with so they set them up with completely new characters just for the sake of screentime. Like I don't give a shit about what Ruth and her sister's friend are doing on a day to day basis because it's insanely boring, just show me more of the other characters. I don't expect it to get to Twin Peaks Civil War storyline level of terrible but I wish more shows had the balls to not show main characters for chunks of episodes/an entire season if the storyline doesn't really require them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2016, 01:13:58 PM »
I know what you mean. I never found the stuff with Ruth and Bettina that interesting (even though Kathy Bates is always great), and I was totally bored with a subplot involving George late in Season 4 (you don't know who he is yet, orcus, but me saying that doesn't spoil anything), but you can't hit it out of the park with every character's major and minor storylines.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2016, 01:20:53 PM »
Absolutely but I wish showrunners would just tell lead actors/actresses "look, we really don't need your character this season since we really want to focus on this and this" instead of just shoehorning scenes in for them that have no bearing on the overall story. All shows seem to do this during the middle parts of their run for some reason.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #114 on: May 14, 2016, 01:31:26 PM »
But, they do have a bearing on the overall story.  Four of the seven central characters on this show are family, so their lives are always going to revolve around one another's at some point or another.  If we didn't see one of them for a while and then they just showed up when something major happened, then that would feel shoehorned in. 

Plus, by seeing them every episode and what is going on with their lives, we, the viewer, feel more of a connection to the character, rather than not caring as much about character who isn't around at all because what was going on in their lives wasn't the most interesting at the time for a viewing standpoint.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #115 on: May 14, 2016, 03:05:51 PM »
I totally agree, Kev. Certain storylines do get boring/weird, but it would feel weirder if there was just no Ruth for half a season. There are definitely parts that could have been written better, but I don't think it's a mistake to involve the whole family most of the time.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #116 on: May 14, 2016, 06:32:47 PM »
Lisa is driving me crazy. Aside from my bitching before about sidestories I'm not minding the Ruth/Dwight interaction at this point.

EDIT: YES, LISA IS DEAD. I dread that I have the George storyline though.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 12:45:32 AM by orcus116 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2016, 07:49:32 AM »
The death of Lisa is still one of the most amazingly written things on the show.  Instead of being a quick death or something many saw it coming, it was an unexpected slow burn over the course of several episodes. Terrific writing.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #118 on: May 16, 2016, 06:01:17 PM »
I'm halfway through season four and I may be alone on this but I sort of miss the quirky dead-person-of-the-week aspect of the show from season one. I like/tolerate the character building aspect of the show depending on the storyline but the whole concept of the show brought me in and it's slowly turning into just another drama show with no real character.

It just confuses me that they still have the introduction dead person but spend almost zero time on why that person is important to the show. The episode that hooked me was the gang member that got shot in like episode 4 and talked David through toughening up. That was great.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 06:09:26 PM by orcus116 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2016, 07:29:25 PM »
I don't remember the death intros as well as others do, but it does seem like over time, less emphasis was placed on that dead person having that "interaction" with a main character (that was always meant to be their internal struggle). I suspect doing that became less important as time went on, but opening each episode with a death was one of the show's trademark, so they stuck with it. I had no problem with it.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2016, 11:49:58 AM »
Season 5 here we go.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #121 on: May 21, 2016, 11:18:51 PM »
5-9:  :|

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #122 on: May 22, 2016, 07:38:35 AM »
Like a punch to the gut, wasn't it? 

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #123 on: May 22, 2016, 09:01:24 AM »
It was a bit shocking but due to how everything happened in previous seasons I wasn't surprised. Interesting they didn't end the show like that and the next episode. Episode 5-11 is starting to feel like an epilogue more than anything so I'm interesting to see how they wrap everything up.

One thing I don't understand is that how come David doesn't just straight up tell anyone "I'm having hallucinations of that guy who carjacked me" especially when it's fairly obvious that something is not right with him. I'm sure his family would understand at that point why he's been acting so crazy and would be relieved that there is some sort of explanation.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 09:27:26 AM by orcus116 »

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #124 on: May 22, 2016, 09:33:23 AM »
I think it's pretty normal for somebody not to tell that they're having hallucinations, for fear of being seen as crazy, hospitalized, that kind of thing.. the implications for one's life, family, etc. are pretty heavy. I don't think you can say you wouldn't handle it the same way unless you've been there.

I'm going to watch the last three episodes with my friend Tuesday, so I've watched 3/4 of the ones leading up to that at home in the last few days. About to see Nate die later  :'(

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #125 on: May 22, 2016, 10:44:32 AM »
Ah damn that finale really got me. Fantastically done.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #126 on: May 22, 2016, 04:31:15 PM »
Yup. Just cried my eyes out at episode 9, now I wait til Tuesday to rewatch the rest.

Although it's tragic, there is something really beautiful about Nate sort of finding his peace and then dying.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #127 on: May 22, 2016, 04:56:31 PM »
I tried to hold it together during the final sequence but when they showed Ruth and it clicked what they were doing I just lost it and it really hit me again when they were showing the photos/artwork on the wall during Claire's part. The only extended sequence I can think of that affected me that much was the opening sequence in UP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #128 on: May 22, 2016, 05:13:40 PM »
It was a bit shocking but due to how everything happened in previous seasons I wasn't surprised.

Yep, after his near death at the end of 2/start of 3, I kind of figured that Nate would die before the series ended, but it was still stunning and soul-crushing when it happened.

One thing I don't understand is that how come David doesn't just straight up tell anyone "I'm having hallucinations of that guy who carjacked me" especially when it's fairly obvious that something is not right with him. I'm sure his family would understand at that point why he's been acting so crazy and would be relieved that there is some sort of explanation.

Along with Jackie's explanation, which make perfect sense, I will add, too, that it is important to remember that Claire is really the only one who knew the extent of what David went through.  He never really told anybody else how bad it really was.  And really, he only told Claire because she just happened to come home that one night right after he had a panic attack.  Opening up to family about things in his personal life was never David's thing.

I tried to hold it together during the final sequence but when they showed Ruth and it clicked what they were doing I just lost it and it really hit me again when they were showing the photos/artwork on the wall during Claire's part. The only extended sequence I can think of that affected me that much was the opening sequence in UP.

I had a similar reaction.  That realization of "Wow, this is how they are ending it" was very powerful. 

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #129 on: May 27, 2016, 10:46:03 PM »
Jackie, how did your friend react to the finale?

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2016, 11:52:27 PM »
He loved it! He got emotional, I think. I was sitting on the edge of the couch crying but trying not to let him see :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #131 on: June 13, 2016, 10:30:11 PM »
Been re-watching some of this again, after HBO ran them all last weekend and I DVR'd the bulk of them, and I have a new appreciation for certain characters.

Russell - that actor did a great job of playing the tortured artist who was never happy and always found a way to hate himself. 

Olivier - such an utter douche, but so good.  That scene in the bar where he and his art buddy comically argue with each other in front of Claire and Russell is so awesome. "I would rip your dick off and force feed it to you if I didn't think you'd like it!" :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #132 on: June 13, 2016, 11:03:47 PM »
Yeah, he's such a douche but I love him. I actually saw that actor in a terrible movie last night (Tiptoes) and laughed my ass off :lol

And you're right, Ben Foster does a great job as Russell. Have you seen Freaks and Geeks? He plays Eli (the retarded/special kid) in that and does an excellent job.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #133 on: June 14, 2016, 08:19:27 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen him in anything else.

The more I watch the SFU reruns, the more Claire becomes my favorite character.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2016, 02:29:01 AM »
I don't think I've ever seen him in anything else.

I've seen him in Contraband, 3:10 to Yuma and Alpha Dog (besides Six Feet Under of course). Sometimes it takes a bit to recognize him, he's pretty chamaleonic.

Hopefully I'll see the Warcraft movie soon too, he's there as Medivh.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #135 on: June 15, 2016, 07:22:04 PM »
Along the lines of the Claire/Russell again, I think the last episode where we saw him, really summed their whole relationship all up in the three scenes he was in:

1) He talks to Claire and Ted, and comes off as the kinda crazy artsy guy, talking about how he got hit by a car and ninjas.
2) Claire runs into outside of the bathroom, and with her anger towards him now gone, she is very kind to him, sensing the soft side of him that is still there, and finally apologizes for not giving him credit for the collage thing that got her a showing at a gallery.  Touched, the scene ends with him kissing her on the cheek and hurrying away.
3) Finally, minutes later, Russell tries to physically dismantle Jimmy's 7 foot lollipop, acting totally crazed, giving Claire one final reminder of how crazy he really is.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #136 on: June 16, 2016, 12:15:22 AM »
:lol yup, I love that part!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: June 16, 2016, 08:05:58 AM »
I've been trying to get my brother and sister into this and they say they will get to it but keep putting it off. I guess it's fair though because they tell me the same for Game of Thrones. But they've shown me a lot of shows, it'd be nice showing them something for once :lol

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #138 on: June 16, 2016, 09:30:25 AM »
Well, it's kind of a big commitment!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #139 on: June 16, 2016, 09:38:30 AM »
True, but a commitment that you will forever be thankful for.  :biggrin: