Author Topic: Meet & Greet  (Read 44248 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: For all the people doing the M & G....
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2011, 10:42:41 AM »
Pay me and I'll ask your question.  I can even give you the answer the night of the show.

Offline bigrich67

Re: What would YOU do at a Meet and Greet????
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2011, 07:35:47 PM »
a night of firsts for me as well - 1st M&G and concert...

i thought about bringing the book "lifting shadows" with me for the guys to sign, but now i'm thinking that might be inappropriate and awkward to have MM sign it.   thoughts??  :blush   its already autographed by the author, so i thought it would have been cool to have the guys sign it too.  ah well...maybe just the new cd i guess.  i've read we don't get the swag until after autographs, which is unfortunate.

i'm also considering bringing some chocolate for JR.  i wonder if he would accept it?  it feels like i'm the lone ambassador from vermont going to see them, so i thought i'd bring him a modest sample from our local chocolate company (lake champlain chocolate), and hope they don't ask me what state vermont is in!!    ;D

i have no idea what i would ask them or say to them.  i'm probably going to feel like a 13 year-old girl at a justin bieber concert when i meet them...sure hope i don't come off that way to them! 

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2011, 11:47:22 AM »
i think im just gonna bring the special edition ADTOE cd to get signed. cause we already get a signed 8x10 photo woth the package. During the prognation tour i got the BC&SL lithograph signed

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2011, 01:56:32 PM »
Mix up their names.  Call JP Mr. Pattitucci.  Address JMX as Ma'am. 

As for autographs,  I'd suggest taking something totally unique.  When I was planning on meeting H&H,  I printed a 24x36 copy of the original painting that became the cover of Mob Rules.  When everybody else was handing him the C&C album to sign,  I handed Tommy Chong the lid to a tin of Christmas cookies that's served as my tray for 20+ years.  He got a kick out of it and put a really cool autograph on it.  Point is,  be creative and maybe spend some time or money on creating something original.  Bosk's is a fine example, as well.  Autographed TA posters are a dime a dozen,  but TI shirts?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2011, 02:04:55 PM »
Bosk's is a fine example, as well.  Autographed TA posters are a dime a dozen,  but TI shirts?

Or more recently:

And be forewarned:  If you make something custom and present it to the band, be prepared for JP to ask you, "So, you made an extra and brought one for me, right?  RIGHT?"
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2011, 02:07:09 PM »
In that case,  why the hell didn't you?

And out of curiosity,  do they recognize you?  I gather you've met them a few times now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline indalo

« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2011, 02:13:45 PM »
Mix up their names.  Call JP Mr. Pattitucci.  Address JMX as Ma'am. 

As for autographs,  I'd suggest taking something totally unique.  When I was planning on meeting H&H,  I printed a 24x36 copy of the original painting that became the cover of Mob Rules.  When everybody else was handing him the C&C album to sign,  I handed Tommy Chong the lid to a tin of Christmas cookies that's served as my tray for 20+ years.  He got a kick out of it and put a really cool autograph on it.  Point is,  be creative and maybe spend some time or money on creating something original.  Bosk's is a fine example, as well.  Autographed TA posters are a dime a dozen,  but TI shirts?
What is a TI shirt? I know what a shirt is but... what does "TI" means?  :huh:
Sorry for my bad english!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2011, 02:15:22 PM »
TransImperial.

You kinda had to have been here April Fool's day, 2010 to get it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 02:21:25 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline indalo

« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2011, 03:08:29 PM »
Ok, thank you!

It looks awesome  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Quote from: El Barto
In that case,  why the hell didn't you?
Because if you make one for JP, what happens with the other guys?  :lol
5 extra shirts + M&G... too much money  :lol
Sorry for my bad english!

Offline dyingsoul

Re: Meet and greet seating?
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2011, 05:26:52 PM »
Exactly.  Went to S.F. and L.A. Meet and Greeters get their tickets handed to them in an envelope at the show when checking in for the Meet and Greet.  So, you won't know you're reserved seats until you get there...   :metal

Offline dyingsoul

« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2011, 05:42:16 PM »
I am attending my first DT concert in Atlanta at the Tabernacle on Oct. 19 and also purchased the M&G package so...it will be a night of firsts  :biggrin:

I honestly have no idea what to expect at all, both in terms of what's given and interaction with the band. As sad as it might be, I've been writing down thoughts on what I'd want to say to each of the guys as well as make a list of the best item to get signed, though I might simply opt for some of the tour swag. So many decisions and choices!

Any tips, advice, etc. would be much appreciated because first impressions are (almost) everything.

Be advised that the Meet and Greet goodies are handed out AFTER the M&G, not before, so be sure to bring any items you want signed.  Yeah, this differs from in the past where you get the stuff before and can have it signed right there.  This is a conscious decision the organizers have made to help speed things along...I guess.  Also, at least at the first two shows, the limited edition t-shirts were not included in the M&G swag due to manufacturing delays and will be shipped to you later.

:metal

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2011, 12:36:15 AM »
Oh yeah I remember that April Fool's day. I did not enjoy it cause I haven't seen Star Wars but people were having so much fun here. Then again when you did the Rebecca Black thing which I didn't enjoy either cause I didn't know it.
I wish for the day we get a Back To The Future April Fool's Day!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2011, 12:47:10 AM »
Oh tough question :) I don't know for now... I would be so scared that probably only one thing I would be able to say would be  :eek :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :metal
I would surely ask JM about his playing technics, about lot of stuff connected with playing on bass and I would use it for sure in practice ;)

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2011, 02:06:09 AM »
is fellatio an option?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2011, 06:26:03 AM »
From what I understand it goes in order of when you purchased the package.  I was second row dead center because I purchased mine about a minute after they went on sale.  The people in front of me purchased it the second they went on sale. 

The people in the 5th row didn't purchase theirs right away.

Offline Derango

« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2011, 11:32:46 AM »
Thanks guys. I called livenation and they said they will contact us 1 week before the show. So this means I will get the tickets before the show I guess. I will go early to get better seats.

You don't go early to get better seats. Your seats are what they are. They're all in a packet of stuff waiting for you at will call.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Question about meeting the band
« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2011, 12:05:07 PM »
This tour is going to be my first Dream Theater concert, and I'm just wondering.  Obviously if you buy a meet and greet package you'll meet the band.  But what are the odds of meeting them through other means?

I've heard plenty of stories of people catching them on their way to their tourbus and the guys being cool about it and signing autographs and stuff.  I'm wondering if this is a common enough thing for me to even bother trying. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline FallTempest

• Canadian bacon.
Re: Question about meeting the band
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2011, 07:09:59 PM »
Well they did that in Toronto, and were super cool! However it probably varies depending on the venue and security.. Could be worth a shot  :metal
This is a nice place

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2011, 10:38:29 PM »
Meet and greet seats are apparently assigned preferred seats in the order the purchases are placed.  I had second row, dead center for the LA show, cuz I purchased my package the moment they were made available.

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2011, 01:29:31 PM »
This is my first DT concert as well. However, because I didn't know how easy it'd be to run into the band before and/or after the venue, I had no problem shelling out ~$275 to guaranty seeing them and also pick up some sexy swag  :biggrin:

"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2011, 04:35:00 PM »
It probably depends on the circumstances.  If the band has a show the next day, or they are particularly exhausted after a show, you can't fault them for wanting to move on quickly, especially since they did give you the option of meeting them and getting something signed.  JR often spends his afternoon before the concert in some cultural center in the city, so if you can take that day off you might be able to meet him.  Just remember you're not going to be the only person with that idea.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2011, 04:42:30 PM »
Where are you located Jaffa?  If you are in Florida, keep in mind that the band are probably aware that Jamesman is in Florida, so they may have added security and may just stay inside the whole time.

Offline Major Thirteenth

• He has his father's eyes... Gomez, take those out of his mouth.
« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2011, 11:44:36 PM »
This tour is going to be my first Dream Theater concert, and I'm just wondering.  Obviously if you buy a meet and greet package you'll meet the band.  But what are the odds of meeting them through other means?

I've heard plenty of stories of people catching them on their way to their tourbus and the guys being cool about it and signing autographs and stuff.  I'm wondering if this is a common enough thing for me to even bother trying.

I've seen this happen hundreds of times, and most of the time, the band member will exhibit a forced graciousness but be inwardly annoyed. It's really not polite to just accost them on the street and beg for an autograph. You may get what you want in terms of a sig, but do you really want to achieve your goal by becoming a nuisance? Keep in mind that when the band is in town for a gig, any time you spot them on the street is usually rushed time to have a quick meal or deal with some other minor emergency. You'll have better luck at an aftershow, when they are showered, relaxed, done with biz and ready to meet you and take photos and sign your stuff. You'll enjoy the experience much more if you do it this way, rather than a hit and run approach.

Offline Guitalguy

• Blackness awakens Visions come alive
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2011, 04:29:53 AM »
I might get my hands on the Winter Rose album, and have James sign it. It seems pretty rare nowadays, and i can't find the original release anywhere. I've found a used re-release on amazon, and that's about it. That's the article linked to on James' website as well. Anybody know where to get the original?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2011, 04:47:40 PM »
Probably the same thing I did at the Portnoy signing: be socially awkward.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2011, 08:11:57 PM »
I might get my hands on the Winter Rose album, and have James sign it. It seems pretty rare nowadays, and i can't find the original release anywhere. I've found a used re-release on amazon, and that's about it. That's the article linked to on James' website as well. Anybody know where to get the original?
Beg me. ;D
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline fitzchrisdt

« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2011, 09:13:26 PM »
I always go the drum head route.  I have not met the DT guys, but have met quite a few other groups and have found that a drum head is just about the perfect item, not only for signing but for framing as well.  I have a few framed with just the ticket beneath.  If I'm lucky enough to get a pic with the band, I'll put that in too.  In terms of what to say, I'm not much help.  No matter how much I try, I get uncomfortable talking to people at meet and greet.  It always seems a little forced.  Always worried that I'll say something that they have heard a gajillion times, or try to hard to be original and just be awkward.  Good luck with whatever you do and have a blast!

Offline Guitalguy

• Blackness awakens Visions come alive
« Reply #97 on: October 17, 2011, 06:25:45 AM »
Beg me. ;D

._____.   I might end up buying the 1997 re-release. Just thinking it'd be fun to have him sign something he hasn't signed a thousand times before.

Offline lyfeternl

Went to my first Meet and Greet...
« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2011, 07:44:05 AM »
Can you remember your first M&G? Was it a train-wreck? I say this because I felt like my experience could have been about a million times better. For over a month I had thought of topics to discuss with each band member. However, when it was my turn to go through the line to get their autographs, my brain decided that it was time for a shutdown.

All I could really say to most of them was a simple "How are you doing tonight?"  :facepalm:

Apparently my nervousness from meeting the band for the first time took control more than I had anticipated. The frustrating part is that when I was finished, I immediately remembered everything I wanted to ask/say.  :censored

Am I the only one out there who wishes they could have a re-do? Would someone else like to share their experience?
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Went to my first Meet and Greet...
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2011, 08:16:26 AM »
That's the only reason why I haven't done it so far.... It can always ruin my dreams....  :-\

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2011, 08:19:48 AM »
Yeah, I got brain lock first time I met DT as well, which was made all the more frustrating by the fact that I was perfectly comfortable meeting and having dinner with two Nobel prize winners the year before.

Thankfully, at my second M&G I was perfectly collected and got plenty of time with each member except for JR, who seemed very concerned with something else at the time.  It wasn't just me who missed the op, several others did as well, but I felt the extra time with each member made up for it, as well as getting a gift from JMX.

Offline MegaDTSX

« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2011, 08:23:16 AM »
I will be meeting them the first time next Thursday.  I have anxiety issues that I recently got a lot of control over (Celexa helps a ton).  They're just human though, so more than likely I'm going to ask them if they're excited to spend the holidays with their families since the Dallas stop is the last before next year.

EDIT

I didnt realize they added a lot more shows to this leg of the tour.  Either way they're just human and I'll just be grateful but not overly grateful.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2011, 08:41:06 AM »
I've never done an official "pay a crazy amount of money to meet the band after a show" sorta meet & greet, but I guess the first time I really met them was at the release party/autograph session for Scenes From a Memory on its release date in '99.  I was still a relatively new DT fan at the time (only got into them in '97) and I was only 17, so I was all like... totally star struck.  I remember having a brief chat with Jordan, who had just joined the band and made a comment about my FII t-shirt, but that was about it.

Oh, and they were going around giving out various free stuff and MP was about to give me a signed copy of the Five Years... VHS, but then he asked me if I already had it and I said yes (didn't even think) and he gave it to somebody else instead.

Lol... it was a pretty good day.  As soon as I left I immediately put the SFAM CD into my discman and experienced that album for the first time.  (My initial reaction to the intro was... "Wtf is going on?!?")

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2011, 08:42:39 AM »
a suggestion would be to take notes with you, either on paper on on your phone. i had this happen to me years ago, so when i met AIC last year i had backup. on a related note, mike inez is one of the nicest guys i've ever met...

Online Mladen

« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2011, 01:14:47 PM »
If I ever do a Meet and greet with the guys, I'd try not to have high expectations. I'd go into it just being happy to see them, saying hello, having an eye contact and getting their signatures on a CD. But that's what it's like with M&Gs, it's different if you get a chance to talk to them after the show or something. Then you have a minute or two to exchange a couple of lines.