Author Topic: Flaming Row - new album "The Pure Shine" (out December 10th 2019)  (Read 27759 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: Flaming Row - Mirage: A Portrayal Of Figures
« Reply #175 on: June 24, 2014, 03:09:47 PM »
Yeah, I find the story in Mirage easier to follow than Ellinore.  I have pieces of it, but there are some holes in what is happening I haven't filled or only guessed at in Ellinore. Here is what I got:

Ellinore's mom got pregnant with Adam when she was younger and had an abortion.  She married Ellinore's father, and died giving birth.  I am presuming it is because of incompatible blood types, I forget what it is called but if a type A mother gives birth to a Tyne B child and vice versa, the second time it is potentially fatal to the mother but not the child.  The father blames Ellinore for his wife's death and neglects Ellinoire.  That's all I was able to figure out on my own.

New album is straight forward comparatively speaking.  It's also just the first part of a three part story, so the bad guys winning at the end shouldn't be a complete surprise.  [/spoiler]

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #176 on: June 24, 2014, 04:06:36 PM »
You got the main part - Elinoire's birth causes Lea's death, and Adam blames Elinoire for that.  But the rest, not so sure.  I thought that Zac Jones was the father of the aborted child, and Adam's father knew but kept it from Adam all these years.  I still to this day don't know what the real story is, and think there is a supernatural element, as the line from "Death" in Unearth the Truth "A single shot that hit the mark, Two birds with just one stone" suggesting that by aborting the first baby somehow also killed Lea however many years later.

Act 1 is pretty straight forward, but everything gets pretty murky after Rage of Despair.  I also think that Zac could be Elinoire's biological father, and that is also some how connected to (and/or the reason for) Lea's death.  Or Zac did something (poisoned) Lea to die during childbirth, and hence he is 'on the run' in the final part of A Place to Revive Your Soul.  Either way, Adam's father is connected somehow as well "I let the cat out of the bag, I cannot bare this shame"  "Death" is somehow intent on stopping the bloodline of one of or both the families - "I annihilate, the whole damn tribe".

Anyway.... I pickup something new pretty much every time, some nuance, some clue.  With Mirage, I still can't even follow the flow of the story yet.  I thought for a while that the ending is told in track 1, and that maybe the story is told backward as the tracks progress.

Many more listens this will take.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: June 24, 2014, 08:46:16 PM »
I might have had the names mixed up in Ellinoire, I was working from memory.  My CD's are packed anyway.

As far as I can tell, the story is told linearly in Mirage.  We get introduced to the characters and The Sleeper.  The Sleeper infects one of the guys, and they are dealing with seeing him slowly waste over the course of the album.  Remind me after I move, and we can continue both conversations.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #178 on: June 27, 2014, 03:21:07 PM »
Cool review by Marcel Haster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XQcPSScY20
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #179 on: August 29, 2014, 03:44:06 PM »
So I've been binging pretty hard on Elinoire, and my god, what a fabulous album. Every time I listen to it, I appreciate it more, and I feel I've only scratched the surface.

The new one is great as well, but Elinoire is a masterpiece. Seriously, it's perfection, beginning to end.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: August 29, 2014, 04:12:19 PM »
So I've been binging pretty hard on Elinoire, and my god, what a fabulous album. Every time I listen to it, I appreciate it more, and I feel I've only scratched the surface.

The new one is great as well, but Elinoire is a masterpiece. Seriously, it's perfection, beginning to end.

Absolutely agree 100%
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: August 30, 2014, 04:23:08 PM »
For about the first month I had the new album, I kept thinking, "it is very good, but clearly a step below Elinoire."  But I keep coming back to the new album, and now I might even rate it higher than Elinoire.  Musically, I think they showed growth and had a more experimental sound.  Can't wait for the story to continue on the next album.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran

Meine Musikliste

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: November 27, 2014, 09:27:41 AM »
Yeah, saw that on my FB feed this morning.  Will watch later.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #184 on: April 12, 2016, 10:01:30 AM »
Kiri Geile (vocals, lyrics) announced today that she left Flaming Row. She's looking forward to new projects.

Meine Musikliste

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: April 12, 2016, 10:09:20 AM »
Bummer.  I recall her saying she was stepping back from the whole writing and stuff to just be a vocalist.  Bummer that's gone now too.  I was just listening to Elinoire the other day.  Really like her sound.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: October 23, 2019, 10:27:10 AM »
New Flaming Row is coming this December!

There it is! The Frontcover of the upcoming Flaming Row album "The Pure Shine" - Album Release in december 2019

It was painted and illustrated by Isabeau Backhaus, who also did the drawings for Melanie and Martins "The Oblivion Tales". The artwork was made by Martin Huch again.

This time we did not write an own story for the album. We thought about some fresh ideas and we came to the conclusion that an already existing story would work better. Maybe you can figure out the story while looking at the Frontcover?

The PreOrder will start n the first november week. We will keep you informed about this very soon!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: October 23, 2019, 01:57:45 PM »
New Flaming Row is coming this December!

There it is! The Frontcover of the upcoming Flaming Row album "The Pure Shine" - Album Release in december 2019

It was painted and illustrated by Isabeau Backhaus, who also did the drawings for Melanie and Martins "The Oblivion Tales". The artwork was made by Martin Huch again.

This time we did not write an own story for the album. We thought about some fresh ideas and we came to the conclusion that an already existing story would work better. Maybe you can figure out the story while looking at the Frontcover?

The PreOrder will start n the first november week. We will keep you informed about this very soon!

:panicattack:

:shutupandtakemymoney:

(couldn't be bothered finding the picture).

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: October 30, 2019, 10:32:43 AM »
Yeah, ordering that was hard as shit - with the ordering pages being exclusively German.  Had to go back and forth with an open tab of Google Translate to make sure I was following it properly.

But, it's booked.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #190 on: October 30, 2019, 12:11:36 PM »
To all our international fans!
Our Webshop is only in german language! If there is a problem during the ordering process, you can also Order directly via PayPal! Just contact us via Messenger or email to martinschnella@gmx.de 😊

Meine Musikliste

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: October 30, 2019, 12:23:12 PM »
To all our international fans!
Our Webshop is only in german language! If there is a problem during the ordering process, you can also Order directly via PayPal! Just contact us via Messenger or email to martinschnella@gmx.de 😊

No shit!  I got it figured out, but the PITA factor was unnecessarily high.   :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Flaming Row - new album "The Pure Shine" (out December 10th 2019)
« Reply #192 on: November 07, 2019, 09:02:18 AM »
They translated the pre-order form, now it's way easier to do this. Just placed my order, can't wait to look for all the familiar names in the booklet :biggrin:

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #193 on: November 08, 2019, 03:52:25 AM »
Had to go back and forth with an open tab of Google Translate to make sure I was following it properly.

Or you could have asked someone on this forum who speaks german to help you out. Just sayin'  :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran

Meine Musikliste

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: December 07, 2019, 11:15:47 AM »
New album is up on band camp. I know what I'm listening to tomorrow morning!

https://flamingrow.bandcamp.com/album/the-pure-shine

Offline Lethean

« Reply #196 on: December 13, 2019, 10:50:50 AM »
I just heard a track from the new album.   I don't usually come into a thread to talk about something I didn't like, but I don't know.  I've seen them mentioned here from time to time, so I guess I thought I'd ask about them.  I got a Flaming Row song in my roulette, which I thought was a really nice song.  It had a beautiful for chorus but maybe on further listens the verses weren't doing it for me as much. 

The song I just heard is called Jake's Destiny, which I liked way less.  There's some beautiful acoustic stuff and all, but the vocals/melodies/lyrics... Something just seems off.  Too literal maybe?  "Jake went to the grocery store. They didn't have his favorite brand of chocolate milk. Oh no! Jake was very sad..." (With the word sad being sung kinda happy).  Obviously these are not the lyrics but this is how I'm left feeling after the (very long) song is done.

Is there a different song I should check out?  One where you might say "listen to song x or y, and if you don't like that, you're probably not going to like this band."

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #197 on: December 13, 2019, 12:45:58 PM »
Well, lyrics have never been this band's strong suit, honestly. It's like they did some weird translations from German to English and didn't bother to check them with a native speaker. Some things come across as slightly.. odd, I think? This is more present on the new album, which I only was able to listen to this week. I only heard the full thing once, and I think musically there's a lot of good stuff in there, but also some stuff that doesn't flow really well. The song you're mentioning, Jake's Destiny, suffers from this too. The instrumental part that starts about halfway is quite great, but then the song ends, yet we still get that acoustic passage... Why on earth is that still the same track? It seems like they wanted to have 5 long songs, whatever the cost, because on some other tracks I hear very strange continuations as well.

The first time I listened to the album, I was thoroughly confused because of the Mirage theme in the first track as well. There's a couple other themes from that album on this one, like the 'In a world you'll never know, no-one can hear you pray' line, which I find a bit strange.

So, after one listen, I actually think this is Flaming Row's weakest album, even though it contains some very good parts. Elinoire remains their masterpiece so far and if you even like what you hear on this new album in the slightest, please have a listen to that full thing. It's glorious.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: December 13, 2019, 02:16:59 PM »
Jake what's the problem, we've got to get out

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: December 14, 2019, 01:36:00 PM »
Well, lyrics have never been this band's strong suit, honestly. It's like they did some weird translations from German to English and didn't bother to check them with a native speaker. Some things come across as slightly.. odd, I think? This is more present on the new album, which I only was able to listen to this week. I only heard the full thing once, and I think musically there's a lot of good stuff in there, but also some stuff that doesn't flow really well. The song you're mentioning, Jake's Destiny, suffers from this too. The instrumental part that starts about halfway is quite great, but then the song ends, yet we still get that acoustic passage... Why on earth is that still the same track? It seems like they wanted to have 5 long songs, whatever the cost, because on some other tracks I hear very strange continuations as well.

The first time I listened to the album, I was thoroughly confused because of the Mirage theme in the first track as well. There's a couple other themes from that album on this one, like the 'In a world you'll never know, no-one can hear you pray' line, which I find a bit strange.

So, after one listen, I actually think this is Flaming Row's weakest album, even though it contains some very good parts. Elinoire remains their masterpiece so far and if you even like what you hear on this new album in the slightest, please have a listen to that full thing. It's glorious.

I agree with pretty much everything here, the bolded parts especially.  The lyrics on this album - being an adaptation rather than their own original writing - are very VERY weak.  Plus, the lyricist from the first two albums (Kiri Geille) had a falling out with the other two 'core' members of Flaming Row, and didn't contribute to this album... so there's that.

I'm very underwhelmed (again).  Elinoire is God-tier to me.  Like, the best thing DTF ever introduced me to.  Mirage is really good (and was supposed to be the first in a trilogy, IIRC), aided by the appearances of Maggy Luyten and Ted Leonard.  The guest spots on The Pure Shine are good, but the writing is a patch work of leftover ideas that should've been Mirage Part 2, and new ideas.  I'll not likely pre-buy their next album.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #200 on: January 06, 2023, 09:59:45 AM »
So, apparently I forgot that I had listened to a song from this album already...   :lol

I saw that Glynn Morgan was on the album last night, and remembered that I already knew that and had meant to listen to it a long time ago.  So I did this morning - I'm just finishing it up now and was going to post something very similar to what I already posted in 2019.  I usually have a good memory for this sort of thing so I guess... chalk it up to the pandemic happening right after and having other things on my mind?  Anyway - my comments about Jake's Destiny pretty much applies to the whole album.  Glynn brings some passion to his vocals but the album is kind of a pile of meh.

I'll listen to Elinoire like I probably should have done 3 years ago.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #201 on: January 06, 2023, 10:04:17 AM »
Totally man...Elinoire is a fucking masterpiece.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: January 06, 2023, 10:55:39 AM »

Obvious statement is obvious.  I can't gush over that album enough.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #203 on: January 06, 2023, 12:52:28 PM »

When I saw Martin and Melanie at ProgStock this past year they put on an excellent set I could not possibly complain about, other than the fact that they didn't do any of the Elinoire songs.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Lethean

« Reply #204 on: January 06, 2023, 01:10:23 PM »
OK, so that was much much better.  I don't know if I'm going to like it on the level of some of you, but I mostly enjoyed it and wasn't constantly checking the track to see if it would be over soon. :)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: January 06, 2023, 01:17:28 PM »

When I saw Martin and Melanie at ProgStock this past year they put on an excellent set I could not possibly complain about, other than the fact that they didn't do any of the Elinoire songs.

An acoustic set would have screamed for Do You Like Country, Grandpa?  What a missed opportunity.