Author Topic: There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane
« on: August 01, 2011, 03:13:46 PM »
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/26/diane-schuler-car-crash-t_n_659083.html

There's an investigative documentary on HBO that started sometime last week and is on again multiple times this week on Tuesday and Friday (from what I can remember).
Personally, I was captivated by this story which still remains a mystery even though the forensic evidence is very overwhelming.  The family seems to believe that she would never have done something like that and has been trying to clear her name ever since the accident.  Very tragic story and my heart really goes out to the parents of the 3 nieces.  I can't imagine what they have been going through the last couple years.  I think the evidence is pretty straight forward, but the real mystery is why did she do it with 5 kids in the car?

If you've seen the documentary, what are your thoughts?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 04:34:37 PM »
I've seen her widower mention the possibility(by his own reasoning, not indicated by any as yet existent evidence) of a stroke. Otherwise the evidence doesn't look good at all for anyone trying to clear her name. I don't think that's a 100% lock to call her indisputably guilty because the law can obviously be apallingly devious when it comes to determining what is and isn't admissable evidence especially concerning: a) cases that the community will have strong opinions about(rape, murder, stuff affecting vulnerable parties like kids, seniors, the disabled, animals, etc.) and b) high profile cases(stuff involving sensationalistic appeal like murder, multiple deaths, celebrities, local figures with clout like businessmen and politicians.)

All that aside, who ever went ahead with the title is an absolute asshole and nothing short of it since according to the father of the girl whose own words were used for the title, he strongly opposed her (possibly)last words being used for the title. If the father is correct I find the people who made that decision to be unforgivably heartless.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 04:39:05 PM »
There was an article in the paper last week about her husband suing the State of New York and whatever engineers designed the road. Kinda ticked me off a bit though I guess people do irrational things out of desperation for blame. I've driven that stretch of road before and there's no way it wasn't her fault, which is what the husband is claiming.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 04:54:59 PM »
Haven't seen the doc, but I could certainly see how it might happen.  One thing I've learned is that there's a distinct random element to drinking.  I've put away heroic amounts of alcohol and been sharp as a tack, and I've been pretty wasted after some pretty light-weight drinking.  Never have figured out how that is--just one of those things, I suppose.  Seems perfectly reasonable that she might have been waylaid by a sneak attack from the Absolut.  

There's no telling what role, if any, the pot had.  Presence of THC in the system really isn't conclusive of very much,  so there's no way of knowing if she was stoned at the time or not.  One thing that might be a concern is an unfortunate tendency for pot to occasionally hammer your ass quite severely if you're already drunk.    Many people, myself included,  can wind up with a monstrous case of the spins if they've been drinking a while before they smoke up.  

My guess would be a perfect storm of intoxication that far exceeded what she wanted or expected.  These things happen.  

Edit:  seems like a lot of people are being assholes regarding this.  His lawsuit seems pretty silly.  100 million for the Bastardis seems just as silly.  Also,  I have no problem with the guy seeking to clear his wife's name, even if he is mistaken.  I'm not sure they should be complaining that he won't admit that she was loaded. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 08:39:50 AM »
The documentary is fairly comprehensive and the investigation put together a pretty good time line but there are so many unanswered questions.  I can see why the family is so perplexed by the whole thing.  I don't have exact times but it's on HBO today, tomorrow, Friday and Sunday.

What I don't get is, they barely had enough money to cover the expenses of all the initial tests.  Daniel Schuler couldn't get the necessary permissions to have Diane's body exhumed for retesting, and now he wants to sue the state of NY for not having the proper signs posted?  That won't yield anything at all but lawyer's fees in a case he can't possibly win.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 08:44:25 AM »
Just set this to record, I think I vaguely remember hearing about the accident when it happened.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 12:09:16 PM »
...now he wants to sue the state of NY for not having the proper signs posted?  That won't yield anything at all but lawyer's fees in a case he can't possibly win.

<---amused(although I'm sure you weren't trying for the pun :P )
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 12:28:06 PM »
...now he wants to sue the state of NY for not having the proper signs posted?  That won't yield anything at all but lawyer's fees in a case he can't possibly win.

<---amused(although I'm sure you weren't trying for the pun :P )

No, actually I wasn't but good catch.  :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 04:20:57 PM »
Here's a 15 minute commentary on Mr. L's radio show regarding the documentary.  I think he nailed it pretty well and after 2 years, it's getting even uglier.
It's amazing what tragedy will do to some people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g1SO6zOdX0

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 04:43:10 PM »
In a really ugly twist,  he might stand a better chance with the vicarious liability suit than the negligence suit against the state.  I'm not familiar with the situation, but if she was driving the brother's car, then somebody might be able to conclude that she was acting as an agent of the brother, and he would bare some responsibility.  It's a really shitty thing to try and do, but it might work. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 07:07:13 PM »
I watched the show and it left me pretty speechless. He desperately wants to know what happened, but it looks like the other chick is seriously determined. I think she may want it more than the husband. It's really sad on so many levels. I just hope at some point they will mourn and begin to heal.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 02:26:07 PM »
I watched the documentary several times trying to pick out certain things that I previously missed.  It sucks because even the viewer can't get closer on what exactly happened.  Several theories could be plausible but the only thing that stands out is what the medical examiner said in their face to face meeting.  No matter what happened, "the question of alcohol will always prevail."  I've come up with several possible scenarios and it all comes back to the alcohol and drugs.  The decision to do that with 5 kids in the car is absolutely beyond comprehension to me.  I think the family of Diane should just accept the fact that she was drunk and high and get on with their lives.  No one will ever know exactly why she did it and that in itself is a tragedy.   :(