Author Topic: Coheed and Cambria v. Second Stage  (Read 137562 times)

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Re: Coheed and Cambria v. Second Stage
« Reply #945 on: May 16, 2014, 02:52:53 PM »
Soo I'm not really familiar with Coheed and how popular they are- do they normally sell out shows quickly? My friend said a lot of the VIP packages and things were selling out and that I should get my tickets ASAP. I would like to just walk to the venue after work tomorrow to avoid paying a bunch of extra fees.
Pretty sure they've been selling out the Ogden the last 4 times or so they've played there.  Which is why I said I'm glad they realize they can move up to a bigger venue.  I'm not sure how to judge this show with it being a bigger venue.  I don't expect it will sell out but I could be wrong.

The only Prog-related show I can think of that was at the Fillmore that sold out was Primus.  But I think Primus has a bigger fan base.

Cool... well, I got a ticket :D
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #946 on: October 20, 2014, 06:32:05 PM »
It's weird how tastes change over time.  I've tried listening to this band a lot over the years, but I've never been able to get into them, partially because I was put off by Claudio's vocals.  Now, all of a sudden, Claudio's voice has clicked with me, and I cannot get enough of this band.  I'm rapidly becoming totally obsessed. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline MiracleSleeper

« Reply #947 on: October 20, 2014, 10:17:45 PM »
It's weird how tastes change over time.  I've tried listening to this band a lot over the years, but I've never been able to get into them, partially because I was put off by Claudio's vocals.  Now, all of a sudden, Claudio's voice has clicked with me, and I cannot get enough of this band.  I'm rapidly becoming totally obsessed.
Funny how his vocals put a lot of people off at first. Claudio's vocals were originally what got me hooked to the band. I'm strange I guess lol.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #948 on: October 21, 2014, 05:33:06 PM »

I guess the same applied to me. Well, it happened twice. First time, I was like eh...second time, I really enjoyed it but ended up forgetting about the band for awhile for some reason. Then all of a sudden when they announced Neverender: IKSOSE:3 over the summer I was like, "I'll give them another listen and see if I wanna go see them live". Ever since then, they've been appearing quite regularly on my playlist and I did end up seeing the Neverender show with Thank You Scientist. Got the album on vinyl at the show as well!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #949 on: October 21, 2014, 05:43:23 PM »
Their lyrics are just so weird sometimes.   I can think of at least two beautifully soft "love ballads" that involve the mentioning of killing someone.   

I always get this creepy vibe.   Like I'm listening to the beautiful love song thinking, "I'd love to sing this to my wife.....oh wait..."  :-\

I even picked up the Armory Wars graphic novels (had them signed by Claudio at Emerald City ComiCon last year!  :metal ) in hopes of better understanding the story...but the story is actually pretty dumb. 

*POOF*.... some stranger I've never met before just appeared out of nowhere and told me my children will cause the destruction of the entire universe....sounds good to me...let's kill them!     Really?    I mean...REALLY????
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #950 on: October 21, 2014, 05:46:22 PM »
I've never paid attention to the lyrics or the story.

Also I had the same sort of experience as Jaffa. The first time I tried them, I hated Claudio's voice. Then a few months later I listened to 'em again and loved them for some reason. Go figure.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #951 on: October 21, 2014, 06:08:12 PM »
I don't pay attention to the story either, but I'm definitely aware of The Amory Wars concept. I just found it weird when I talked to fans at the show I went to last month or elsewhere and they brought up the story and go deep into the subject I'm only thinking in my head "Yeah, mmmhmm. Whatever!"  :lol

One fan told me that it was a mortal sin to have Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV Volume I as your favorite Coheed album because Claudio allegedly wrote it in anger over his girlfriend (who ironically is now his wife) breaking up with him. I honestly don't know if it's true and if it is, I'm not sure what to think of it actually.  :\

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #952 on: October 21, 2014, 09:34:05 PM »
I'm patiently waiting for Dr. DTVT to make the magical transformation some of you have recently mentioned. It's only a matter of time...
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #953 on: July 07, 2015, 08:56:21 AM »
They just put out a song called "You Got Spirit, Kid". New album is titled The Color Before The Sun. Out October 9, 2015.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #954 on: July 07, 2015, 09:19:35 AM »
:caffeine:

...my name is Araragi.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #955 on: July 07, 2015, 09:26:38 AM »
I didn't even know they were releasing a new album this year. Nice surprise for me!

As for the song, I like it alright but I'm not crazy about the lyric-less vocal melodies.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #956 on: July 07, 2015, 01:15:41 PM »
I always love pop-Coheed, and this was no exception. Great song.

I hear that the album is going to be their first without a concept, is that true? If so, interesting-- doing that didn't work out incredibly well for The Dear Hunter, but I can see Coheed pulling it off for the most part-- and the lyrics might actually be  applicable at points for once.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #957 on: July 07, 2015, 01:16:42 PM »
Song is pretty fun and jumpy. I like the last minute of it, I wonder how the next song it leads into will sound.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #958 on: July 07, 2015, 03:56:21 PM »

I hear that the album is going to be their first without a concept, is that true? If so, interesting-- doing that didn't work out incredibly well for The Dear Hunter, but I can see Coheed pulling it off for the most part-- and the lyrics might actually be  applicable at points for once.

What about the Color Spectrum? While that sort of had a concept it's not anything like Amory Wars or the Acts, and that is considered by a lot of people to be among their best.

I agree for the most part with Migrant, though I don't think it's a bad album so much as a different one.

While this song is no Domino the Destitute as far as lead singles go it's better than what they put out for Black Rainbow.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #959 on: July 07, 2015, 11:34:20 PM »

What about the Color Spectrum? While that sort of had a concept it's not anything like Amory Wars or the Acts, and that is considered by a lot of people to be among their best.

I agree for the most part with Migrant, though I don't think it's a bad album so much as a different one.

While this song is no Domino the Destitute as far as lead singles go it's better than what they put out for Black Rainbow.

Oh, well yeah, I adore TCS! It's great. Just as the first real studio album that wasn't Act-related, TDH were criticized a lot for its sound. I liked it a lot personally, but I can agree it isn't quite comparable to the Acts.

And yeah, I like this song more than most of YOTBR already. It sits calmly at the bottom of their discography for me...

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #960 on: July 07, 2015, 11:46:41 PM »
I have this weird thing with bands where I'll discover or get into them just before a new album is announced (and then I get all happy because it's like I hopped on the bandwagon at just the right time), and then that album ends up being being far weaker than all the stuff that made me fall in love with them.

YotBR was that for me. I discovered "Welcome Home" through Rock Band (Guitar Hero? My college gaming is hazy.), and ate up everything. I distinctly remember almost being late for class because I headed out early to go pick the album up. It wasn't at the local music store and I think I wound up finding it at a Borders book store across the street. I like the album enough to still spin it, but I didn't know what to make of it that first spin on the way to class. Was it actually weaker or did I get too hyped? Five years later I'd say it's not as strong an album but still has enough fun moments.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #961 on: July 08, 2015, 06:18:31 AM »
I thought YotBR was OK....it was NWFT that seemed to be complete crap to me.   It was like a lighter, poppier, less complex version of GAIBSF1.    Basically, it took all the elements of 1, took away all the stuff I loved about it, and rehashed it.   

However, the Afterman albums were INCREDIBLE.  :o
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #962 on: September 04, 2015, 10:31:29 AM »

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #963 on: September 04, 2015, 10:25:11 PM »
Pretty cool cover art.

I so want the boxset.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #964 on: October 02, 2015, 11:38:25 AM »
With the new album coming out soon, who'd be up for doing a Coheed survivor? Probably starting around the end of the month or so if there's enough interest.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #965 on: October 02, 2015, 01:52:15 PM »
I'd participate.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #966 on: October 02, 2015, 03:45:37 PM »
I haven't listened to these guys since End Complete and my friend randomly played The Numbers Song for me... That is some beautiful, amazingly catchy shit right there! I've been playing it nonstop and need to listen to the album entirely, especially since it's on Apple Music. I also heard You Got Spirit, Kid and really enjoyed that as well. Apparently I like the poppier side of Coheed and that's cool, it's just surprising to me how much I like it. As others mentioned, I started out not liking the vocals very much and back in the day listened to End really just for the instruments, but I've warmed up to it immensely, especially in the style of TNS and YGSK.

It's interesting that A LOT of my favorite bands these days are bands I started out just straight up not liking at all. Townsend (well, SYL back then), Radiohead, The Dear Hunter, Between The Buried and Me...all started out as me disliking, sometimes immensely, a certain part of the bands' sound. Now I'm addicted to all of the above. Tastes change drastically both mentally and physically...crazy stuff.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #967 on: October 03, 2015, 01:34:28 PM »
Hahaha, that song is called Number City and it's a great song, my favorite from the album.

I got into Coheed the same way, being a shitty teen, I just put off the vocals. Then, I really got into Welcome Home. Now, I enjoy them a lot. Cant wait for the new album.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #968 on: October 03, 2015, 01:40:01 PM »
Oh woops.  :lol

I still need to check out The Afterman in its entirity. I really like the other singles released from the upcoming album, though YGSK is my favorite.

RIP DTP.

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #969 on: October 08, 2015, 03:45:38 PM »
So, CBS is out there somewhere. I've listened to it three times, but I'm not going to say anything yet.

And I would participate in a Coheed survivor.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #970 on: October 08, 2015, 08:16:04 PM »
Thanks to my stupid work schedule, I don't really have an opening to get the album tomorrow. Urgh.

I got into the band through Rock Band back in 2007/08 when I was a freshman in college. Never had even heard of them before then, but my roommate bought the game, and when "Welcome Home" first played, I loved the song and I think I scooped up the four studio albums over the next few months.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #971 on: October 08, 2015, 10:10:51 PM »
Ha! That's pretty cool. I've never gotten into any bands because of those types of games and (well, I haven't played or even seen anything of them in almost a decade so...) have always known of all the bands in them but... Funny, before I got into Coheed, I saw the band '3' in concert opening for someone...I can't even remember who..then later on, found out that the frontman was the brother of a guy in this weird band called Coheed and Cambria, checked 'em out with No World and went from there. Har har! Life. Psh.

I am about to spin the new album!!! Excite!! I randomly started loving Eraser, like...a shitload, whereas when I first heard it, it was my least favorite of the three singles released. That might mean that it'll take this album a bit to sink in... I'm about to see...er...hear. Woot woot.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 03:09:36 AM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #972 on: October 08, 2015, 10:27:27 PM »
There's actually quite a surprising number of bands I got into because of those games. I might hate playing them, but they certainly had a use in band exposure.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #973 on: October 08, 2015, 10:45:14 PM »
Thanks to my stupid work schedule, I don't really have an opening to get the album tomorrow. Urgh.

The release date has been pushed back anyway, it now comes out on the 16th.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #974 on: October 08, 2015, 11:41:38 PM »

The release date has been pushed back anyway, it now comes out on the 16th.

News to me! Thanks!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #975 on: October 08, 2015, 11:43:10 PM »
i'm seeing Coheed w/ TYS and Cursive on the 14th, I wonder if they'll be selling the album there so I can get it early  :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #976 on: October 09, 2015, 01:21:17 AM »
Whoa! So...not what I expected from the singles. For the most part, in a very, very good way. A lot more restrained a lot of the time, but it still packs a very big punch emotionally. Got kind of choked up at times, really powerful stuff... But as I thought, it's gonna be a grower for sure except for the Peace/Mountain, Eraser and Ghost, which are all immediate classics to my ears. THAT is how you end an album. Great stuff but I am kind of lukewarm on a couple others. Then again I may be saying those are my favorites in a couple weeks. Very interesting turn from Afterman though, which I can appreciate; it's great they're still changing it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpw9hKOo3uc This is awesome and hilarious! The kids clearly don't care one bit... :lol I'm gonna put my money on her not knowing who he was. It'd be a lil odd for her to ask him if she did know who he was. But what a nice guy!  :lol
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 06:22:09 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #978 on: October 13, 2015, 05:41:52 PM »
Coheed were at New York comic con this weekend selling the new album, and one day they did a signing so I picked up the LP, heard it today and I really like it!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #979 on: October 13, 2015, 06:20:13 PM »
Noice! I couldn't take the quality of the leak anymore, plus didn't wanna overplay it. This already sounds leagues better. I've got it pre-ordered so I can't wait to hear it in even better quality than this. But the stream really isn't bad at all. Man, there are so many people that are butthurt over this album, it seems (both in sound and concept...er...lack thereof). It's hilarious seeing all the turds bitch and moan about this not being apart of the Amory Wars. As if they should have a say or are entitled to it...buncha cunts.  :lol I don't think this will end up being my favorite, but I really like it a lot and am glad that they expanded their horizons to something other than pure concept. It's a great balance of songs with some oomph, some other tracks that actually sound like they'd fit right in with the Amory Wars, and a few tracks have a lot of heart and emotion to them. Maybe it's because I've never been huge into these sprawling stories (with any band, even my favorites), but I'm glad to hear that they can do a slightly different formula and method but still keep that Coheed sound.

RIP DTP.