Author Topic: AVENGED SEVENFOLD: We Urged MIKE PORTNOY Against Quitting DREAM THEATER  (Read 51047 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: AVENGED SEVENFOLD: We Urged MIKE PORTNOY Against Quitting DREAM THEATER
« Reply #175 on: August 02, 2011, 10:07:13 AM »
And this would be MP's response

I do everything for you guys! I'm a little hurt that you would feel that way DarkLord_Lalinc.
 I do a lot for all of you "fans" out there. It would be nice to get some appreciation once in awhile.

All of you true fans out there, thank you

And yes, for your information, I do have OCD. I have all the symptoms, but never been diagnosed. But I know I have it

Never Enough,
MP

In all seriousness though, those DVDs were great, but he didn't need to do them. I was somewhat relieved when he said no DVD this past tour. I thought he'd take a little bit of a break. I guess not though.

:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #176 on: August 02, 2011, 10:12:55 AM »
I don't wanna come across as negative. I never said I dislike those DVDs, I love them as much as you all do. I just said that they can only get better because, you can't do 15 things and be perfect at all of them. Having certain people perform certain tasks might be better in the bigger picture.

...."fan"
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #177 on: August 02, 2011, 10:14:31 AM »
I was just looking for the opportunity to do a MP style post, and the opportunity was presented to me. I know you weren't being negative. I suppose though MP would have made it sound negative.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #178 on: August 02, 2011, 10:16:03 AM »
Just for the record  :D

Your MP post is missing some "......." and also some "..............."
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #179 on: August 02, 2011, 10:20:48 AM »
Well I guess I can't please every "fan" out there 
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: August 02, 2011, 10:21:37 AM »
:lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline chrisgazpacho

« Reply #181 on: August 02, 2011, 10:30:30 AM »
The irony of the situation is that MP basically pulled a Kevin Moore. It is more and more looking like MP had lost the interest on the band. It is also beginning to look like that he has also lost interest on progressive metal (as none of his new projects could be classified to that category). Of course the latter point is less certain than the first.

While it is perfectly fine for a man's opinions to change, it feels a bit weird that MP spent 15 years bad-mouthing KM for leaving the band. But in the end, he did exactly the same thing with the same reasons. I wonder what MP would say about KM now?

They all bought into your contrived sincerity
And how you wore your heart and soul right on your sleeve
Laughing sarcastically
You turned your back on the people who adored you

Self-absorbed exhaustion
Self-esteem distortion
Self-infused extortion
Self-serving abortion

I'll take the blame for these things that I say
'Cause I had the heart and the will and the courage to stay
Every day
I won't walk away

Reading through all the digests you show me
I notice the way that you think you control me
Doubting my future, you don't even know me
But I never walked out on you

I think it's pretty interesting how people like to throw these lyrics back in MP's face.   Kev was in the band for 3 albums, Mike put in 20+ years and helped get this band to where it is right now.  He also didn't want this to be a permanent thing. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #182 on: August 02, 2011, 11:03:10 AM »
It's ironic

Offline robwebster

« Reply #183 on: August 02, 2011, 11:06:39 AM »
I think it's pretty interesting how people like to throw these lyrics back in MP's face.   Kev was in the band for 3 albums, Mike put in 20+ years and helped get this band to where it is right now.  He also didn't want this to be a permanent thing. 
Nor, however, did he prioritise the band above gallivating around and doing other things. He chose new pastures over Dream Theater, which - pushed into it or no - he had to do. He was given a choice between "Dream Theater" and "something else," and in lieu of being able to have his cake and eat it (which incidentally is not a phrase that makes a lick of sense, and should probably be phased out), he went for "something else."

Kevin, too, was in the band for a decade, and had been a member of it for its entire life when they wrote Raise the Knife. It's not like he hadn't invested a lot into it either. I think the situations are pretty closely comparable.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #184 on: August 02, 2011, 11:08:19 AM »
Good points Robbybaby

and in lieu of being able to have his cake and eat it (which incidentally is not a phrase that makes a lick of sense, and should probably be phased out),

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #185 on: August 02, 2011, 11:17:43 AM »
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Neither of which are actually scenarios that you could ever be encumbered with for reasons outside your own control. The phrase is frankly flawed from the ground up.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #186 on: August 02, 2011, 11:19:15 AM »
To me, it was always more about "Well, if I eat this cake, that means I do, in fact, have it, so suck it analogycocktease.com!"

Offline robwebster

« Reply #187 on: August 02, 2011, 11:20:24 AM »
Oh! I see. So "having" it is an action in itself. That does actually make a bit more sense now. But not much. Who the fuck brags about cake?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #188 on: August 02, 2011, 11:21:19 AM »
Those same damn people who call kettles black.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #189 on: August 02, 2011, 11:22:44 AM »
Those same damn people who call kettles black.
Pots, mostly, then.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #190 on: August 02, 2011, 11:24:39 AM »
Oh! I see. So "having" it is an action in itself. That does actually make a bit more sense now. But not much. Who the fuck brags about cake?

Obviously you've never had mud cake. That is some bragworthy stuff right there. On a related note, I totally have mud cake.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #191 on: August 02, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
Ahh, stoners. You know what they say, those without sin cast the first stone. Or is that in Rome, because they all do that there. Hmm. There's no place like home.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #192 on: August 02, 2011, 12:00:33 PM »
The use of smilies was perfect.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #193 on: August 02, 2011, 01:22:25 PM »
The irony of the situation is that MP basically pulled a Kevin Moore. It is more and more looking like MP had lost the interest on the band. It is also beginning to look like that he has also lost interest on progressive metal (as none of his new projects could be classified to that category). Of course the latter point is less certain than the first.

While it is perfectly fine for a man's opinions to change, it feels a bit weird that MP spent 15 years bad-mouthing KM for leaving the band. But in the end, he did exactly the same thing with the same reasons. I wonder what MP would say about KM now?

They all bought into your contrived sincerity
And how you wore your heart and soul right on your sleeve
Laughing sarcastically
You turned your back on the people who adored you

Self-absorbed exhaustion
Self-esteem distortion
Self-infused extortion
Self-serving abortion

I'll take the blame for these things that I say
'Cause I had the heart and the will and the courage to stay
Every day
I won't walk away

Reading through all the digests you show me
I notice the way that you think you control me
Doubting my future, you don't even know me
But I never walked out on you

What does the time in the band have to do with it?  People throw those lyrics in MP's face because he is guilty of the same things that he railed against KM for.  I don't see any problem with this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #194 on: August 02, 2011, 02:04:27 PM »

Obviously you've never had mud cake. That is some bragworthy stuff right there. On a related note, I totally have mud cake.

Sounds like it's time to change your underwear, then.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #196 on: August 02, 2011, 07:46:37 PM »
I've come to another realization about why Mike was burnt out.

Obviously we all know that he overworked himself.  But look at all the things the band accomplished...every single milestone they or he (MP) set out to do...well almost.

They did the following:

A concept album
Played with an orchestra
Did the official bootleg thing
Did a tour with Iron Maiden
Had stability for the last ten years or so
Played Radio City Music Hall
Played Madison Square Garden
MP got to write his farewell song to his dad

Ok, thats all I could think of of....

But now that the band was actually on a label that gave a damn, they had people taking over various parts of the band.  Chaos in Motion was not something Mike planned but went along with it.  They finally reached a level of success they had hoped for and now that the band was "comfortable", Mike bailed.  There was also an interview from last year in which Mike says he only writes lyrics out of necessity (which I think is BS) and he was hoping to take a step back, further indicating he had said most of what he wanted to say.

Anyway, this all sounded more profound in my head but I think it does indicate another reason why things went they way they did. 

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #197 on: August 02, 2011, 07:49:35 PM »
The 12-step stuff too.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #198 on: August 02, 2011, 08:28:24 PM »
Ah yeah, can't forget that...

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #199 on: August 02, 2011, 08:47:50 PM »
i still dont get the excuses for being burnt out. especially those, put petrucci's name next to all those, except for looking over the dvd's which cant be that hard. and he's still doing fine.

Offline raygun47

« Reply #200 on: August 02, 2011, 09:26:02 PM »
i still dont get the excuses for being burnt out. especially those, put petrucci's name next to all those, except for looking over the dvd's which cant be that hard. and he's still doing fine.

I don't think he was exhausted from the music.  I think he didn't want to hang out with them and make a record...and then tour.  I think, after what I've seen recently from him and from JLB that...at very least...the relationship between them was strained at best.  How he felt about the remainder I'm not sure, but if it meant shutting down, then obviously, the rest of the band were against it.  I was on his site today...and there's some BS on there that he responded to about him "liking" comments others made on some site about JLB...and they aren't a bunch of comments about what a swell guy he is.  Like Bill Belichick...I don't MyFace, or Yearbook...but it's on there and it's probably on some social network like that.  It's on his site with a comment about how he "didn't say those things."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #201 on: August 02, 2011, 09:40:55 PM »
MP is a little less guilty than KM.  KM left right before the tour, almost royally screwing the band.  MP left after the tour.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Faustusmedea

« Reply #202 on: August 02, 2011, 10:41:37 PM »
Comparing the MP exit with the KM exit is a false equivalence. KevMo left when the band was young and just experiencing its first taste of real success. They still had a ton of goals and a lot to accomplish. And he left after recording a great album.

Now, one can imagine the band has accomplished many of the goals they set for themselves. They know there are more records/tours behind than ahead. Most polls end up filling the top spots from the earlier catalog suggesting the engine is running as much on momentum as inspiration. DT could end tomorrow and be enormously proud of an amazing career built on their own terms and without much in the way of concession. Walking away from that is not comparable to the other. You can make the case the MP exit carries honor in realizing a continuation would probably result in work not up to par.

It seems clear the family had become dysfunctional and it also probably correct that MP bears a greater share of that than any single other member. I just hate all of backbiting coming from the various parties who make themselves look bad. JLB should have just quietly smiled and moved on. A7X reveals they have very little integrity by tossing up their hands as innocents. JM becoming more animated can be excused because everyone forgot he was even there. JP is the only one who has handled the episode with class which is really interesting to me, because in the end I can imagine it came down to a clash of wills between John and Mike. Or Defoe and Berenger... which makes Rudess Charlie Sheen???

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #203 on: August 03, 2011, 06:03:35 AM »

I don't think he was exhausted from the music.  I think he didn't want to hang out with them and make a record...and then tour.  I think, after what I've seen recently from him and from JLB that...at very least...the relationship between them was strained at best.  How he felt about the remainder I'm not sure, but if it meant shutting down, then obviously, the rest of the band were against it.  I was on his site today...and there's some BS on there that he responded to about him "liking" comments others made on some site about JLB...and they aren't a bunch of comments about what a swell guy he is.  Like Bill Belichick...I don't MyFace, or Yearbook...but it's on there and it's probably on some social network like that.  It's on his site with a comment about how he "didn't say those things."

yea i just dont wanna hear the 'i was tired of doing everything excuse'

Offline raygun47

« Reply #204 on: August 03, 2011, 08:11:44 AM »

yea i just dont wanna hear the 'i was tired of doing everything excuse'

I don't either. 

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: August 03, 2011, 08:15:16 AM »
The only words I want to hear out of Mike Portnoy are "New Transatlantic album"  I'm hoping so hard.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #206 on: August 03, 2011, 08:19:41 AM »
Comparing the MP exit with the KM exit is a false equivalence... 

Most of your post is pretty dead on.

A7X reveals they have very little integrity by tossing up their hands as innocents.

But, wait--what??  How do A7X lose any integrity in this scenario?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #207 on: August 03, 2011, 08:30:06 AM »
JP is the only one who has handled the episode with class which is really interesting to me, because in the end I can imagine it came down to a clash of wills between John and Mike.

I have thought of this as well. JP probably had the backing of the others solely on his side, which made it easier, but ...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #208 on: August 03, 2011, 08:44:51 AM »
Comparing the MP exit with the KM exit is a false equivalence... 

Most of your post is pretty dead on.

A7X reveals they have very little integrity by tossing up their hands as innocents.

But, wait--what??  How do A7X lose any integrity in this scenario?

Yeah, this.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #209 on: August 03, 2011, 09:02:15 AM »
I'm not understanding all the mocking towards MP. Putting words in his (or anybody's) mouth is not cool. I thought this thread would dissipate off the front page for the antagonizing and negativity. Dragging it on makes no sense. I don't quite get it. Where's the love?