Author Topic: AVENGED SEVENFOLD: We Urged MIKE PORTNOY Against Quitting DREAM THEATER  (Read 51060 times)

Offline SjundeInseglet

Re: AVENGED SEVENFOLD: We Urged MIKE PORTNOY Against Quitting DREAM THEATER
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2011, 06:45:37 AM »

EDIT:
Found the interview...here's the exact quote...

18.  How much was your biggest music related check for, and what did you do with it?
Actually all DT's money goes into a big melting pot which maintains our weekly salaries, so all my big checks and chunks come from outside side-projects or drum clinic/instructional related activities.. The last big check I got was around $30,000.00. I built a deck onto my backyard, put some of it away for my kids and went out and bought a shitload of DVD's and cocaine!

Wait what?  Link please?

https://www.metalsludge.tv/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=202&Itemid=52

Offline Mbarak

« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2011, 07:27:42 AM »
4.  Did you really think you could make it with first singer Charlie Dominici?
No. We knew we would be destined for obscurity...That's why we booted him and got a Canadian Favio look-alike instead!

Ouch!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2011, 07:29:39 AM »

EDIT:

18.  How much was your biggest music related check for, and what did you do with it?
Actually all DT's money goes into a big melting pot which maintains our weekly salaries, so all my big checks and chunks come from outside side-projects or drum clinic/instructional related activities.. The last big check I got was around $30,000.00. I built a deck onto my backyard, put some of it away for my kids and went out and bought a shitload of DVD's and cocaine!

Wait what?  Link please?

https://www.metalsludge.tv/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=202&Itemid=52
Man! I remember reading this interview back when I was first getting into the band. Jesus. Also, my selective memory apparently forgot the cocaine thing, somehow. Crikey.

Also didn't register at the time that this was definitely an email interview.

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2011, 07:55:32 AM »
Wow, I must have missed that interview back on the day. Mike was a bit of a jerk about Charlie and Neil Peart, huh?
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline snowdog

« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »

EDIT:

18.  How much was your biggest music related check for, and what did you do with it?

Wait what?  Link please?

Man! I remember reading this interview back when I was first getting into the band. Jesus. Also, my selective memory apparently forgot the cocaine thing, somehow. Crikey.

Also didn't register at the time that this was definitely an email interview.
At the time I know I figured he was joking about the cocaine thing.  But now it doesn't seem like a joke.  I know at the time when asked about some of his responses he said something along the lines of "It's metal sludge, you have to take those answers with a grain of salt. They want controversy".

The one quote in that interview I find to be really ironic now is this...
I guess Neil's people-skills are really lacking

Offline tristl

• DTF.org Alumni
  • when dreams and tristl unite
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2011, 08:45:34 AM »
does anybody know where to find this stern thing about dt?
Carpe diem baby

Offline emtee

« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2011, 10:58:56 AM »
One of the things I'm most surprised about is that another 'big' name band didn't ask Mike to join after A7X cut him loose.
I figured a free agent with his credentials and stage presence would have offers coming in like crazy. Think of how many
bands would be upgraded by him. BUT...it didn't happen, or if it did, we never heard about it. Instead, he has got a few
projects lined up and 2 of them are his "main bands" and will split time between them and neither will likely turn into anything
big.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2011, 11:08:23 AM »
One of the things I'm most surprised about is that another 'big' name band didn't ask Mike to join after A7X cut him loose.
I figured a free agent with his credentials and stage presence would have offers coming in like crazy. Think of how many
bands would be upgraded by him. BUT...it didn't happen, or if it did, we never heard about it. Instead, he has got a few
projects lined up and 2 of them are his "main bands" and will split time between them and neither will likely turn into anything
big.

Did any big bands have vacant drum positions? I don't think a band would just ditch an existing drummer for a better one.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #113 on: July 29, 2011, 11:38:21 AM »
big.

Did any big bands have vacant drum positions? I don't think a band would just ditch an existing drummer for a better one.

you sure? DT did that with derek...

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: July 29, 2011, 11:48:14 AM »
Except Derek didn't quite fit in with DT and they had all wanted JR ever since Kev left anyway.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2011, 11:49:24 AM »
big.

you sure? DT did that with derek...

True, although I'd perhaps argue there's not as much to gain from a new drummer as their is with a keyboardist. Metal bands usually have pretty good drummers, so it would have to be a pretty big upgrade to fire your drummer, even for MP.

The situation with DT was apparently that they felt that Derek wasn't a good fit for the band's style, so I don't think it's as simple as just who's got the chops.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2011, 12:00:23 PM »
That interview was good to read however. Mike is not the walking definition of OCD. He doesn't even have it. If he did, it would be much more debilitating
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline j

« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2011, 12:08:04 PM »
That interview is completely new to me.  Interesting.

That interview was good to read however. Mike is not the walking definition of OCD. He doesn't even have it. If he did, it would be much more debilitating

You know, I've always thought the same thing.  Portnoy has some little quirks of what people casually, perhaps jokingly refer to as OCD, but absolutely not anything close to the clinical psychiatric disorder.  But he's sure spent a lot of time talking about it over the years. :lol

-J

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2011, 12:24:01 PM »
That interview is completely new to me.  Interesting.

You know, I've always thought the same thing.  Portnoy has some little quirks of what people casually, perhaps jokingly refer to as OCD, but absolutely not anything close to the clinical psychiatric disorder.  But he's sure spent a lot of time talking about it over the years. :lol

-J

I have it. It ain't nice. If he had clinical OCD he wouldn't be able to tour or maybe even drum professionally never mind doing so for 25 years. The stress of touring would set off OCD big time. Also, if he had clinical OCD about the band then there is no way he'd ever be able to walk away like he has. If something is your obsession it just doesn't go away and you can't simply walk away. There is a massive difference between just being particular about things and having full on clinical OCD and MP is the former. He's not so much OCD but more like a control freak and a perfectionist.

Also the lyrics to Constant Motion sound like they're written out of a textbook and not by a sufferer. The lyrics describe it very well but they give no indication of the actual hell if entails.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2011, 01:30:12 PM »
Also the lyrics to Constant Motion sound like they're written out of a textbook and not by a sufferer. The lyrics describe it very well but they give no indication of the actual hell if entails.

I don't think that comes from lack of experience on his part so much as his attempts to make a badass and cool song about having OCD.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2011, 01:32:41 PM »

I don't think that comes from lack of experience on his part so much as his attempts to make a badass and cool song about having OCD.

I reckon Take The Time is about it too and is actually more accurate but you probably have a point with CM.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #121 on: July 29, 2011, 01:35:09 PM »

I reckon Take The Time is about it too and is actually more accurate but you probably have a point with CM.

Take the Time was written collectively.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #122 on: July 29, 2011, 01:42:19 PM »

One other thing I'd say, I don't want to act like an expert on OCD since you have it and I don't, but it seems to affect different people in different ways.  I remember a Ray Allen interview (he's an NBA player for the Celtics), where he talked abut how as a kid if a shirt was sitting on the bottom of the steps it would physically pain him to not put it away.  Even now he practices for games at the exact same time every game night.  Bu he's able to handle Basketball, which can be a very sloppy sport, in spite of all that.

With Portnoy specifically, you could say that a lot of why he's handling having left the band so poorly could be OCD related.  It's simply too alien to him to not be working on Ytsejam releases and writing setlists.  I don't personally subscribe to it, but it's not 100% invalid.
Over and over again

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2011, 01:47:45 PM »
MP is a type A personality this would definitely fit his personality better then ocd

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #124 on: July 29, 2011, 01:59:07 PM »

One other thing I'd say, I don't want to act like an expert on OCD since you have it and I don't, but it seems to affect different people in different ways.  I remember a Ray Allen interview (he's an NBA player for the Celtics), where he talked abut how as a kid if a shirt was sitting on the bottom of the steps it would physically pain him to not put it away.  Even now he practices for games at the exact same time every game night.  Bu he's able to handle Basketball, which can be a very sloppy sport, in spite of all that.

With Portnoy specifically, you could say that a lot of why he's handling having left the band so poorly could be OCD related.  It's simply too alien to him to not be working on Ytsejam releases and writing setlists.  I don't personally subscribe to it, but it's not 100% invalid.

Yeah that's probably fair.  Every sufferers obsessions/compulsions are different because it's entirely personal to that person. It's based on your personal worst fears at any one time. This can change or stay the same. Like I can still handle my academic work and playing bass on stage just fine but I've really struggled socially for ages now because of it. Only MP (and his therapist, if he has OCD and indeed a therapist) really knows how it affects him personally. My point was that depressive episodes are a big part of OCD and those do affect everything that you do, sometimes for weeks at a time, and are worse when under stress which touring provides in spades. When I have those I can barely do anything.

Portnoy handling it badly could be down to a number of reasons. Humans are inherently resistant to change (especially as they age) so it could be down to that. Maybe he was just getting stale or bored. To me his departure simply smacks of midlife crisis but only he knows how he feels.

MP is a type A personality this would definitely fit his personality better then ocd

That fits better, certainly the high achiever, controlling part. I had a girlfriend once who lived by the fact she had a type A personality and it wound me up no end. That said, a lot of those symptoms match me.

Offline Faustusmedea

« Reply #125 on: July 29, 2011, 01:59:37 PM »
This stuff is like listening to two sides in a divorce, you know each side is going to paint it according to their point of view. For all we know, some of the members of A7X might have been originally excited and wanted MP on the team but when it came down to brass tacks, they realized his wealth of experience on the business side and what he would likely demand might change the band dynamic. I'm sure MP probably saw a lot of things in their operation where he had suggestions from his 30 years in the business.

As for his wealth, the dude outworks everybody, period. Its hard to not imagine some professional jealousy in all of the parties based on his ability to keep so many balls successfully in the air. Even so, this isn't Wall Street and he isn't Hedge Fund rich, probably just financially comfortable with good financial advisors/lawyers.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #126 on: July 29, 2011, 02:12:28 PM »
I think you mean 20 years in the business. ;)

And I would not say he outworks everyone.  Someone like Steven Wilson, for example, is always involved in just as many projects, and is almost always a or THE main songwriter, which is more than can be said for Portnoy.  Not taking anything away from Portnoy's contributions or work ethic, but this myth that he outworks everyone is just that: a myth.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #127 on: July 29, 2011, 02:22:14 PM »

And I would not say he outworks everyone.  Someone like Steven Wilson, for example, is always involved in just as many projects, and is almost always a or THE main songwriter, which is more than can be said for Portnoy.  Not taking anything away from Portnoy's contributions or work ethic, but this myth that he outworks everyone is just that: a myth.

How much is Wilson involved with the business side of his work though?

Also, I doubt Portnoy outworks everyone, but during his DT days at least he was easily in the top 1% of hardworking musicians.
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #128 on: July 29, 2011, 02:28:15 PM »
I can't imagine someone as detail-oriented as Wilson is not having a heavy hand in the business side of things as far as his work goes.  Not every musician who works hard has to tell everyone about it non-stop. ;)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #129 on: July 29, 2011, 02:29:39 PM »
I can't imagine someone as detail-oriented as Wilson is not having a heavy hand in the business side of things as far as his work goes.  Not every musician who works hard has to tell everyone about it non-stop. ;)
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: July 29, 2011, 03:01:26 PM »
Regarding the interview, I think it only makes perfect sense once someone points it out. 'The Rev' was a huge MP fan who inspired him a lot. A7X had this great idea of inviting MP because he was the only one at the moment who could replace 'The Rev'. After the studio recording and the first leg of the tour were over (I don't really know if the tour is over and they've released a new album), the band was going to reorganize. Sure, it would have been cool for MP to join A7X, but there were other plans. They wanted to give "a new kid a chance"... so MP just had to do what he was asked for. Sadly, he enjoyed his permanence in that band way too much and got the bad news.

Offline Faustusmedea

« Reply #131 on: July 29, 2011, 04:13:42 PM »

I know the anti-MP sentiment is fairly high these days, but you don't get to rewrite history when all the work is out there. The side projects, YTSEJAM issues, the drum cam DVDs, and according to MM, the impetus behind all the covers the band has done over the years. But yeah, I did mean 25 years.

Offline Pinga

« Reply #132 on: July 29, 2011, 06:24:12 PM »
He didn't do the YTSEJAM releases on his own. He hand-picked the material while JP took care of the business and manufacturing side, which can be argued is more work.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #133 on: July 29, 2011, 06:30:47 PM »
Quote from: mike portnoy
Fred Norris or Jackie The Jokeman = Fred...He sometimes plays our song The Mirror in and out of commercials

:metal MP made the right choice there

edit:  :lol

howard stern "i need to chop up one of my pets when i hear that music" about the mirror
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLblbffKej4
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 06:44:36 PM by chrisbDTM »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: July 30, 2011, 01:06:28 AM »
He didn't do the YTSEJAM releases on his own. He hand-picked the material while JP took care of the business and manufacturing side, which can be argued is more work.

I can tell you first hand that MP seemed active in pretty much every part of the process (not only for Ytsejam, but for most DT related stuff too), even those he was not directly involved with. I wouldn't say he was a control freak, because he didn't overstep his place as far as I was concerned, but at the end of the day, he would look over everything at some point to approve it, or suggest changes.
I don't know how you'd relate that to "work", but he spent a lot of his time ensuring everything was right. A lot of these weren't things he needed to do, and would have happened without his input, but he seemed to put every bit of his spare time into ensuring everything was good enough. I can't imagine anyone being more dedicated to their band, for better or worse.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2011, 01:18:48 AM »
I found the line about having his way with his daughter's Britney Spears Barbie Doll borderline creepy, even though he was joking  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline tarkusman

« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2011, 01:21:38 PM »
Does anybody actually know how many years the hiatus that Mike proposed to rest of DT?

Also, it seems to me that Avenged couldn't let Mike join as it is obvious that he wouldn't stay in the background for long. That's Mike he has to be up there. So perhaps the power structure in Avenged was going to be radically altered if he was to join. Telling quote from JameS LB recently about DT 'The band is better balanced now'. In other words it's more democratic.

However, I can't help but think how this is going to affect Mike in the coming years. I do have sympathy for him.

I don't think he can join a band for the reasons outlined above, the only alternative he has to form a new one.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #137 on: July 30, 2011, 01:31:34 PM »
Transatlantic just needs to be a more active band  :metal

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #138 on: July 30, 2011, 01:40:33 PM »
I don't think Portnoy is a particularly likeable person at this point, but the guy has done more for his fans than anyone I know.

@tarkusman: I don't think Portnoy had a set number of years for a hiatus at first, but in the big Music Radar interview a while back, Rudess said it was five.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline tarkusman

« Reply #139 on: July 30, 2011, 03:15:27 PM »
Five years is a ridiculous amount of time.

It sounds like a guy who was asking for his exit visa.