Author Topic: The Creativity Thread v. we need more artists! [NSFW]  (Read 103033 times)

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
The Creativity Thread v. we need more artists! [NSFW]
« on: July 26, 2011, 12:42:52 PM »
Well, seeing as art on this forum hasn't been as prominent here lately, I'm guessing the mods thought having two art threads would be a bit much, so here's what I'd like to call the Universal Art Thread. If you've drawn, painted, written, or done anything creative in general, post it here for comments, critique, and praise, of course!

Original post:

Well, I don't know if most of you know this but I'm an artist and I'm looking to pursue a career in art and art education.

I mostly delve into traditional art and the digital art I do is a form of digital art called "pixel art", which is done entirely on a pixel-scale level. I've been a pixel artist for at least four years, now, and I've been drawing since I was really young. I used to go by the username Dex on most websites, so you'll see that signature in most of my complete works. It's still my current handle over at the website Pixel Joint, too, if you've ever visited that site (awesome stuff there!)

In any case, I'll post some older works and some things I'm currently working on here so as to give you an idea of what I do. I'll try and keep the topic updated periodically, too!

Some older, complete pixel art:

Some older paintings (all of these pictures were taken with a cell phone camera, so excuse the blurriness/quality of the image.)

And some current WIP pixel art:

Feedback on all of these is greatly appreciated! Thanks for viewing. :biggrin:

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 04:00:23 AM by ariich »

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Post up your artwork!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 12:43:52 PM »
I like  :tup.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 12:50:39 PM »
Jesus H. Christ you are incredible.

Who owns your soul now? Which deity is it?

...is it Imhotep? Imhotep will rise?

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 12:55:22 PM »
The paintings are lovely too, but its that pixel art really grabs me, just incredible! I've tried my hand at pixel art on occasion (mostly in the form of spriting for random game projects) and its never something I've been able to fully grasp, but you make it look easy! Keep up the awesome work :tup

Offline EasterDavy

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 01:00:38 PM »
 :hefdaddy Wow. That's some amazing stuff. Keep at it - you've really got a talent.

Offline Horatio

• Yeaaahhhhhhh?
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 01:01:57 PM »
Everything here is fucking amazing dude. Can you have my pixelated babies? I will send a package of my sperm cells to your house, and you can create a baby out of them using the latest in-vitro fertilization techniques. When the embryo forms can you please sprite the baby at 1000x1000 resolution and send it back to me so I can admire it? Thank you in advance, I will pay in gold.

Offline j

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 01:13:59 PM »
You are really good dude. :hefdaddy

-J

Offline DylanHomie256

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 01:51:22 PM »
Welp, might as well post 'em now:

Saria from Ocarina of Time:

A Troll made out of Trollcream, a Norwegian dessert:

Some old arcade games:

Characters from Pikmin:

And a group of fighting game characters:

unlike my good friend Heretic I don't have the ability to make large amazing pixel arts, but i prefer to program anyways
We came to the pyramids, all covered in ice...

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 01:52:25 PM »
Amazing as always - the one that your avatar from is great, but my favourite is probably the bridge. They are all awesome though - the one with the tree (just above the paintings) stands out.

The WIP with the guy looking up at the moon is awesome, I don't remember seeing that one before.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 01:52:49 PM »
Nice stuff, man! I love the Trollcream one, and the fighting game characters are very likable.

Offline DylanHomie256

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 01:56:40 PM »
Still loving the one with the Mario Pipe-pillars the best!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 02:03:49 PM »
:hefdaddy
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 02:13:38 PM »
Thanks for all the comments and compliments, everyone!

@Mods, I'm assuming this is a universal artwork thread, now? That's kind of disappointing for me, but, it's whatever.

Offline DylanHomie256

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 02:17:30 PM »
actually it's, uh, pretty confusing

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 02:21:14 PM »
Yeah I don't particularly see why two threads about art deserve merging, since the third was a spam topic and I doubt there would've been any others of that sort.

I mean, I can change the first post and everything to make this a universal art thread but we don't have a universal musician thread so what's the real difference? I'm kind of disappointed to hear we used to have an art board and it was removed, I'd have loved a board like that. :(

Offline Horatio

• Yeaaahhhhhhh?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 02:22:31 PM »
EDIT: actually delete this post it was dumb

Offline robwebster

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 02:25:47 PM »
The third was a spam topic.
I resent that. I spent a very long time on that fly.

I mean, I can change the first post and everything to make this a universal art thread but we don't have a universal musician thread so what's the real difference? I'm kind of disappointed to hear we used to have an art board and it was removed, I'd have loved a board like that. :(
The reason it was removed is 'cause it wasn't very active, so not many people would go there. Since its destruction, the art has ended up in the most active board - howdy! - and so you'll get a lot more passing trade - howdy!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 02:27:26 PM »

I've never seen a sub-forum so barren as when we had the creative/art section. People didn't care.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 02:29:57 PM »
DUDE...  :hefdaddy
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 02:31:58 PM »
The third was a spam topic.
I resent that. I spent a very long time on that fly.

Shh, I'm trying to look good to the mods so we can have separate art topics, I can't let them know how amazing of a topic that was. :lol

I've never seen a sub-forum so barren as when we had the creative/art section. People didn't care.

That's unfortunate, creativity is something I'd think would be enjoyed and appreciated around here. Ah, well!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 02:33:49 PM »
^It is, but because it was subjugated to its own area of the site, traffic was virtually nonexistent.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 02:37:10 PM »
That's unfortunate, creativity is something I'd think would be enjoyed and appreciated around here. Ah, well!
It was enjoyed and appreciated, its just that there's only so many talented artists such as yourself, and once everyone's shared the bulk of their work, there's just kind of a bunch of... nothing happening until new artists happen to show up :P

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 02:38:43 PM »
Ah, good to know. And thanks! I guess having an art topic would be a good thing, then! :)

EDIT: I've edited the first post and the topic title to be more geared towards anything creative at all! There's a poetry thread for poetry but I guess anything from artwork to writing to games can be posted here.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 02:45:22 PM by Heretic »

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Creativity Thread v. we need more artists!
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 03:13:52 PM »
Here are a few things I did for an animation class or two.  A year or so ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtNt9ng8G0M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nro9cAdQxNk

The top is a motion graphic thing involving a lot of typography.

The second is a flash animation.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 03:28:05 PM »
Ah, good to know. And thanks! I guess having an art topic would be a good thing, then! :)

EDIT: I've edited the first post and the topic title to be more geared towards anything creative at all! There's a poetry thread for poetry but I guess anything from artwork to writing to games can be posted here.
Yes! Agreed. And you have actually inspired me to resume work on a script I've been neglecting. There aren't even any flies in it. So wahey!

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 03:47:41 PM »
It's funny that this thread should come up today, since I haven't really done any art in quite a while, until I started on something earlier this afternoon. Here's a WIP:

There's going to be more stuff on the right area that's cropped out, and she won't be an amputee forever (fuck drawing hands though (and especially hands holding other hands), seriously), but other than that this little bit is pretty much done with.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 04:03:58 PM »
Totally appreciate your concerns Heretic, but I think that because there is only so much art that gets posted, keeping it all in one place will actually increase the amount of attention and traffic that it gets. The Photography thread is a good example of this - if I want to post some more, or check out other people's, I know exactly which thread to go to.

EDIT: Oh and also, your pixel art is AMAZING!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 07:22:10 PM »

Yes! Agreed. And you have actually inspired me to resume work on a script I've been neglecting. There aren't even any flies in it. So wahey!

Awesome, man! What kind of script is it?

It's funny that this thread should come up today, since I haven't really done any art in quite a while, until I started on something earlier this afternoon. Here's a WIP:

There's going to be more stuff on the right area that's cropped out, and she won't be an amputee forever (fuck drawing hands though (and especially hands holding other hands), seriously), but other than that this little bit is pretty much done with.

Very nice! I really like the atmosphere and the scene overall. I feel as though the jacket's shading should be a bit more volumetric and imply the form of the jacket, however. I really like the clouds and the character is very charming. Good work so far!

Totally appreciate your concerns Heretic, but I think that because there is only so much art that gets posted, keeping it all in one place will actually increase the amount of attention and traffic that it gets. The Photography thread is a good example of this - if I want to post some more, or check out other people's, I know exactly which thread to go to.

EDIT: Oh and also, your pixel art is AMAZING!

I completely understand, and yes, this thread should help people who are hesitant to post what they're working on in their own topics! And thank you, I really appreciate it.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 07:31:47 PM »
Picture art is the thing I'm worst at.  But I am good at admiring it.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 07:35:38 PM »
I've seen some of that pixel art before. Do you post on the TIGSource forums perchance?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2011, 07:40:43 PM »
I've seen some of that pixel art before. Do you post on the TIGSource forums perchance?

Woah, yeah I do, I've got like, 100 posts there. I don't post frequently, but I visit every-so-often. I go by 'Dex' over there.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2011, 08:36:13 PM »
Ha awesome! I don't really post at all, but it says a lot about your work that I recognized it :tup
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2011, 09:02:41 PM »
dude that pixel art is fuckin rad

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2011, 11:36:55 PM »
Awesome stuff in here!

Love the amputee :D

Maybe I will post some of my 100 Words pieces...
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2011, 12:29:03 AM »
That pixel art is amazing, especially the current batch. The palette choices and gradients really give that distinctive look. I've always sucked at 2D, so I always respect anyone who can actually do it. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.