Author Topic: The Creativity Thread v. we need more artists! [NSFW]  (Read 103469 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: The Creativity Thread v. we need more artists! [NSFW]
« Reply #595 on: March 14, 2016, 08:46:00 AM »
Those scribbles look more like Chinese writing than sketches. :lol

I love the artwork you made from it. I'm not sure I quite get it, but I think that's part of the charm. I love the subtlety in the colour choice and shading, and the expression.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #596 on: March 14, 2016, 09:01:02 AM »
Well maybe I'm the reincarnation of a chinese man called Zhū lě'ān and I was killed by my brother named Ŕidéhuá.

And I'm glad you like it! I knew that I was seeing a character sitting akwardly in the scribble, but turning it into something that made sense was not easy. That's probably why you don't quite get it :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #597 on: March 14, 2016, 09:11:01 AM »
So they're literally just scribbles that you then try to interpret, like an ink blot test or looking at clouds? I was thinking they were quick sketches of poses.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #598 on: March 14, 2016, 09:30:39 AM »
That's a nice painting! I don't really get it completely either I think, but I agree with BlobVanDam, that that gives it some kind of charm or perhaps it makes it more exotic. Drawing random lines and interpreting them as something to make a painting or drawing of is something I like to do too, it's great for when your out of inspiration for what to make and gives you iodea's you probably wouldn't have thought of otherwise.

This is such a friendly looking little mushroom man! :lol I really like the purple-ish faces on the ground. As for the composition, maybe just adding a few foreground elements like branches would have helped. Kind of like you were coming out of a dense area of trees and bushes and stumbled upon this scene in a more open area. But other than that it looks fine to me  :tup
Thanks, I think branched in the foreground would have looked great! I am not going to chance the painting however, I decided that after I put a signature on it it's finished as to prevent touching it up forever, but it's usefull advice nevertheless, thanks :azn:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #599 on: March 16, 2016, 12:37:05 PM »
Just finished this today. An exercise in freehand uniformity....

"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #600 on: March 16, 2016, 12:42:53 PM »

I'm going to do some of that later when I get home.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #601 on: March 16, 2016, 01:36:37 PM »
And both would probably be projects of boredom.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #602 on: March 16, 2016, 01:39:35 PM »
Indeed. It's much more exciting when someone else does it.

Offline home

« Reply #603 on: March 18, 2016, 05:23:43 AM »

A pig I painted for my mom's birthday, she didn't want anything weird :p

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #604 on: March 26, 2016, 02:31:25 PM »

*snip*

Well done!  :tup

*snip*
A pig I painted for my mom's birthday, she didn't want anything weird :p

It looks so cute! But you should have made him as a weird man-pig instead just to see your mom's reaction.

Miss Winter found herself in a strange situation. Outside, summer had just arrived. The temperature was suffocating as she was painfully walking through the streets. She finally found a place where she could order some drinks to cool down. Unfortunately the place was full, so she had to content herself with a table outside.

Edit: I forgot that also did this thing instead of working on actual important stuff :lol

« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 02:38:45 PM by CDrice »

Offline home

« Reply #605 on: March 28, 2016, 05:17:49 AM »
CDrice that looks awesome, I really like the scene and the blue colours in the skin and hair! Do you paint for a living?

It looks so cute! But you should have made him as a weird man-pig instead just to see your mom's reaction.
Thanks, I wonder if she still would have put it on her kitchen wall :laugh:

I did a "commission" for the first time (well it was for an acquaintance and I got paid 25 euro's  :lol )

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #606 on: April 30, 2016, 09:21:47 AM »
CDrice that looks awesome, I really like the scene and the blue colours in the skin and hair! Do you paint for a living?

Thanks! I'm happy you like it. And I'm not sure if you could say I paint for a living right now since I really don't make enough money to sustain myself very well. However it is what I'm aiming to do. Speaking of which, here's one of three illustrations I've made for a magazine called ''Brins d'éternité''.  While the other two were made for two specific stories, I had free reign to do what I wanted with this one. The only thing I had to respect was the dimension of the piece.

Made with acrylic paints and colored pencils on illustration board
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 09:28:07 AM by CDrice »

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #607 on: May 11, 2016, 06:39:04 PM »
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline home

« Reply #608 on: May 19, 2016, 08:27:38 AM »
Thanks! I'm happy you like it. And I'm not sure if you could say I paint for a living right now since I really don't make enough money to sustain myself very well. However it is what I'm aiming to do.
It must be great to be able to make a descent living of art, I hope you succeed!  I really like the piece you posted, it's very sinister and outlandish. Is there a reason why the bottom half has so few details, to draw attention to the top half or something?

@Metaljunkie, that's some intense staring! the characters are very recognisable too, good job  :tup

Here is a drawing I did, it's inspired by Alice's adventures in Wonderland (The Cheshire cat)

I should really work on drawing more neatly  :lol

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #609 on: June 03, 2016, 07:37:01 PM »
It must be great to be able to make a descent living of art, I hope you succeed!  I really like the piece you posted, it's very sinister and outlandish. Is there a reason why the bottom half has so few details, to draw attention to the top half or something?

Thanks! And you pretty much got it. I wanted to keep the focus towards the top, so I've put less details at the bottom.

I should really work on drawing more neatly  :lol

Well, in this case I think it actually works. It adds a bit of grittiness and I think it complements the darkish atmosphere of the picture. So yeah, good job man :tup

So here's two drawing I've made earlier this week. They were inspired by this video https://youtu.be/XBdJdUcVB_U where two guys created and drew brand new pokemons and their evolutions to the best of their (limited) abilities. I thought their ideas were cool so I did those pictures of them.

Here are Snirely, Blaznail and Snaze

And here's Suicilor, Insomniar and Schizozoa

And I also made a timelapse video of the process (along with some creepy music I've made) for the Suicilor family which you can watch here: https://youtu.be/m1jp9Jnh6M4

Offline home

« Reply #610 on: June 14, 2016, 05:10:42 AM »
Awesome! I liked seeing the timelapse  :tup

Here is something I quickly drew yesterday:

Portrait of a faithfull man

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #611 on: June 26, 2016, 08:31:29 AM »

Cool! I'm glad to hear that. And I'm curious to know what you're using to do those two last drawings. Is this ink or is it digital?

So I had a job interview about two weeks ago for a company making video games. I unfortunately didn't get the job because my art style didn't quite match what they're doing, but they'd like me to stay in contact with them in case my art evolves in the right direction. And I did this is a piece I did as an art test.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 08:38:35 PM by CDrice »

Offline home

« Reply #612 on: June 26, 2016, 02:16:10 PM »

Cool! I'm glad to hear that. And I'm curious to know what you're using to do those two last drawings. Is this ink or is it digital?

I did them both with fineliners and black marker. I did do a little bit of touching up with photoshop on the second drawing. I am still trying to learn how to work with photoshop, as it seems a very usefull thing to do, but I am not really finding time do so yet.

And that is a really nice piece of art, like the other piece it really has some sort of mysterious atmosphere that I really love!

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #613 on: July 16, 2016, 06:47:56 AM »
Hi people! Here's an acrylic painting in progress I'm making for a group exhibition.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #614 on: July 16, 2016, 02:57:06 PM »
Beautiful work as always, CD. Hey, have you ever done any drawings based on fairytales like Snow White or fairies?

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #615 on: July 18, 2016, 05:03:01 PM »
Beautiful work as always, CD. Hey, have you ever done any drawings based on fairytales like Snow White or fairies?

Thank you Prog! I remember doing quite a few paintings of fairies and maybe one or two based off fairytales when I got back into art after highschool. However, if I'm not mistaken, the most recent one I did was about six years ago. I've kind of drifted away from that in recent years, but it's something I can easily see myself getting back to. Anyway, why do you ask?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #616 on: July 19, 2016, 05:26:50 AM »
Just my curiosity. I always like to see artistic interpretations of fairytales, Alice in Wonderland, and the like. I have a slight obsession with that sort of thing. Have you ever seen those dark interpretations of Disney princesses that artists do? It's so awesome.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #617 on: July 20, 2016, 06:25:07 PM »
Have you ever seen those dark interpretations of Disney princesses that artists do? It's so awesome.

I don't think I ever saw that. I searched a bit and found something, but I'm unsure if it's what you were talking about. Do you have any examples? I usually like it when artists combine lighthearted things with darker elements or vice versa.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #619 on: August 05, 2016, 01:47:47 PM »
https://www.boredpanda.com/dark-disney-princesses-jeffrey-thomas/

Oh yeah, this is what I had found. They definitely look awesome!

Anyway, I finished the painting I posted earlier. Here it is in all it's glory with a few blurry closeups

*Shameless promotion time* As I said this painting will be part of a group exhibition with over 20 other artists. The exhibition will start on august 11 and a viewing with the artists will be held on the 14th. It will end on september 18. The gallery is called ''Le Repaires des 100 Talents'' and the adress is 5867 St-Hubert street in Montreal. So, while I know a lot of people on this forum don't live anywhere near this place, if you somehow happens to be in the area, you can go check it out! *End shameless promotion time*

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #620 on: August 05, 2016, 01:55:37 PM »
I can never say enough nice things about your work. Being an artist of a different nature, I do envy and respect those with such a talent for drawing. 

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #621 on: August 05, 2016, 02:08:22 PM »
I can never say enough nice things about your work. Being an artist of a different nature, I do envy and respect those with such a talent for drawing.

Thanks a lot! Those kind of comments always means a lot :) I think most artists feel that sentiment of envy and respect for other artists at some point. At least I sure do. And out of curiosity, what's your artistic medium?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #622 on: August 05, 2016, 04:45:10 PM »
Wrestling with the blank page. I could say guitar also but I haven't played much lately. I'm also a bit of a photography nerd.   :lol
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 08:49:00 PM by Prog Snob »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #623 on: August 05, 2016, 10:35:41 PM »
Freaking awesome dude.

Seriously, just in awe.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #624 on: August 13, 2016, 06:00:40 PM »
Wrestling with the blank page. I could say guitar also but I haven't played much lately. I'm also a bit of a photography nerd.   :lol

Nice! I also haven't played guitar that much lately either. So you're a prog snob and a photo nerd  :lol

Freaking awesome dude.

Seriously, just in awe.

Thanks for your comment! I'm really glad you like it :)

Anyway, I don't want to let this thread die so here are two thing I'm working on right now. First, here's a sketch from my sketchbook that I've roughly colored in Photoshop

I may bring it to a finish at some point.

And the second one is a fanart of a character from the manga Bleach (which is apparently coming to an end). And this time I'm using a crazy color palette. Or at least it's crazy for me.  :lol

This is just the face, but we'll also see the upper part of her body on the finished piece.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 06:07:50 PM by CDrice »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #625 on: August 13, 2016, 11:07:52 PM »
Those look great. I especially like the first one. It looks like something out of Wonderland.

Nice! I also haven't played guitar that much lately either. So you're a prog snob and a photo nerd  :lol

I'd say the photography thing comes after music and books.  :)

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #626 on: August 15, 2016, 01:39:31 PM »
I'd say the photography thing comes after music and books.  :)

I see. Do you write just for yourself or do you have some published stories?

Anyway here's the finished version of my Cyan Sung-Sun fanart piece.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 01:44:58 PM by CDrice »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #627 on: August 15, 2016, 01:45:03 PM »
Sorry that this isn't the kind of art that gets posted here, but this is one of the only ways I express myself creatively. This was my project over the weekend. The electronics are going in this afternoon. I'm putting a brushless motor and electronic speed control system in with a high voltage lipo battery. It should do over 60mph with relative ease.

This is what I started with;

This is what I turned it into;

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #628 on: August 15, 2016, 01:50:19 PM »
That looks pretty cool. I'm just wondering one thing. In the first two pictures are you boiling the frame?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #629 on: August 15, 2016, 01:53:03 PM »
That looks pretty cool. I'm just wondering one thing. In the first two pictures are you boiling the frame?

Kind of. I'm actually dying it. You bring water to a boil and add the dye you want to use. You then put it on simmer and put in the components you're looking to change the color of. The hot water causes the pores in the plastic to open and allows the dye to be absorbed.