Author Topic: The Creativity Thread v. we need more artists! [NSFW]  (Read 103827 times)

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
Re: The Creativity Thread v. we need more artists! [NSFW]
« Reply #560 on: July 07, 2015, 05:30:44 PM »
It's a bit disappointing to see that there's not more activity in this thread, but it doesn't matter. I'll keep posting stuff until something happens :coolio

Title: Under the blue cloth
Subtitle: The truth behind Vermeer's ''Girl with a pearl earing''

This is a relatively quick acrylic painting about a random idea I had while looking at Vermeer's famous painting. What is this girl's hiding under that blue cloth? Well here's the answer: a bunch of creepy shiny eyes.

This was made using Burnt Umber, Ultramarine Blue and White acrylic paints on watercolor paper.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #561 on: July 11, 2015, 07:58:59 PM »
@CDRice, hey, thanks for the compliment! I work mostly with oils, a lot with graphite and charcoal, and then I do some digital artwork, mostly pixel art. Your stuff looks really nice as well! I like the idea behind the Vermeer study, lots of people seem to really be drawn to that one for inspiration/parodying/reinventing.

Here's two portraits I've been working on for my summer Honors project here at college:

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #562 on: July 14, 2015, 05:04:56 PM »
@CDRice, hey, thanks for the compliment! I work mostly with oils, a lot with graphite and charcoal, and then I do some digital artwork, mostly pixel art. Your stuff looks really nice as well! I like the idea behind the Vermeer study, lots of people seem to really be drawn to that one for inspiration/parodying/reinventing.

No problem! Well the Vermeer's painting is well known and relatively simple so that leaves a lot of room to ''improve'' it. Also very nice portraits. I'm guessing the are made with charcoal on toned paper? The result looks very nice and clean.

As for me, here's the finished version of the painting I've posted a few weeks ago.

https://orig07.deviantart.net/ff3e/f/2015/195/3/b/little_teddy_s_counterattack_by_cdrice-d915kzy.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with the result, although I could probably work on it indefinitely... which I really don't want to do. And since the contest is now closed I'm going to call it done.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #563 on: July 15, 2015, 12:19:37 PM »
Really lovely! The characters are reminiscent of a children's book almost. I think interspersing some warmer colors in certain areas would help things pop and give some more room for the eye to focus on a certain area-- as of now, it's really busy because of all of the details, so it's harder to focus upon one aspect of the image. Absolutely love the texture on the giant blob-monster, and I always love owls as well.

And you were correct-- charcoal on toned paper. I've only recently started to love charcoal, I used to hate it!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #564 on: July 15, 2015, 12:29:24 PM »
I'm pretty pleased with the result, although I could probably work on it indefinitely...

I think that's the case with all artforms! Are we ever 100% satisfied with our own work? It's hard to know when to call it a day.
Personally, I think it looks f'ing awesome as is.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #565 on: July 21, 2015, 11:03:41 AM »
I think interspersing some warmer colors in certain areas would help things pop and give some more room for the eye to focus on a certain area--
Thank you very much! And yeah that quoted part was mentionned to me a few times. Although it was not strictly about warmer colors, but color variation in general. I'm very happy that you like it!

I think that's the case with all artforms! Are we ever 100% satisfied with our own work?
Thank you Blob! And I guess you're right. Fortunately I learned to appreciate what I do despite the flaws I see. I know that it's not the case for every artist. That got to be a bit sad for them.

It's hard to know when to call it a day.
That's why I find deadline awesome. They make that decision for you.

Personally, I think it looks f'ing awesome as is.
Great to hear! I think it's the first time of my life I have ''f'ing awesome'' applied to something I did  :biggrin:

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #566 on: July 21, 2015, 11:15:16 AM »
So here's another piece I've started for another contest. This time the theme is fear and we can only use a single color (in addition to grayscale) It's still in the early stages, but I thought I'd share it to keep this thread alive a bit.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #567 on: August 06, 2015, 06:01:25 PM »
So I forgot to post the final version of the painting from my last post. I had to rush it a bit due to the deadline, but it still looks fine I think. So here it is! This is ''The Fear''

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #568 on: November 24, 2015, 07:34:51 PM »
Nobody posted here in like forever, that's sad  :'( Hopefully no one will mind me bumping this thread. I have a few paintings I'd like to share

Anyway, last month I was part of a group exhibition on the theme of victorian-era vampires. So I wanted to share the 4 paintings I did.

The Seducer: The last one I made and my least favorite by far

The Merchant: This one was sold on the first few days and another man who wanted to buy it comissioned me to do a piece similar to it. And since he couldn't chose between the three propositions I gave him, he asked me to do the three of them  :lol

The Widow: I actually like this one quite a bit. I feel I somewhat succeded at capturing a little bit of the style from that era. And the character blends with the rest of the painting better in real life than it does here.

The Biologist: This one is definitely my favorite, but it looks better in real life. The colors and contrasts just pops a lot more.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #569 on: December 01, 2015, 11:28:14 AM »
Fallen Leaves

It was cold and humid. I was trying to find my way back out of this forest. Suddenly, I saw an eerie shadowy figure moving down a hill. This being silently invited me to follow it, but I didn’t know what to do. Fear was paralysing me. The figure then contiued it’s descending path towards the darkness. I was finally able to move.

I ran to catch up to the strange apparition, but when I arrived to where I first saw it, I heard a noise. I turned around and saw someone looking at me. He seemed lost, so I silently invited him to follow me, but I could see in his face that fear was paralysing him. I then continued my descending path towards the darkness.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #570 on: December 01, 2015, 01:57:47 PM »
Your stuff is awesome man, I particularly love that last one!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #571 on: December 14, 2015, 01:22:40 PM »
Your stuff is awesome man, I particularly love that last one!

Thank you very much sir! :tup

So here's the first of three pieces I was commissioned to do with the them of alchemy. I had a hard time scanning it and balancing the colors, but that's relatively close to the original. It was made on on illustration board with acrylic paints.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #572 on: December 14, 2015, 01:29:29 PM »
Now I know where that sig comes from, awesome stuff man.

I'm not very creative but a friend (who has never really done any drawings before) drew this cartoonish image of me, my avatar. Thought it looked pretty neat.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #573 on: December 14, 2015, 03:07:12 PM »
Very nice, was playing some Skyrim recently and the vibe totally reminds me of that. You have some serious talent, my man.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #574 on: December 15, 2015, 05:32:26 AM »
I'm reminded of images that would go perfectly with Lovecraft's writing.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #575 on: December 22, 2015, 04:07:21 PM »
There is some really amazing art here, I am going to enjoy looking through all the pages later. My own paintings and drawings don't come close to most here but here are some":

Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #576 on: December 24, 2015, 02:14:40 AM »
Really great stuff from everyone in the past few posts, really liking the output here guys!

This is the Secret Santa I did for a person at another forum whose interests were steampunk and landscapes, so I ran with that:

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #577 on: December 25, 2015, 08:13:21 AM »
My own paintings and drawings don't come close to most here but here are some

Don't say that! Your pieces look pretty cool. I especially like your pen drawings.

@Heretic: Great piece as usual  :tup

So here's a quick picture I've made for christmas time

And if anyone's interested, I also made a time-lapse video of the process that you can see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzvJJQ7OeFA

Happy holidays!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 01:32:54 PM by CDrice »

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #578 on: December 25, 2015, 08:16:55 AM »
Awesome! Not only the picture, but the music is also pretty cool
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #579 on: January 17, 2016, 01:39:29 PM »
Awesome! Not only the picture, but the music is also pretty cool

Thanks! I ended up liking the music more than the drawing  :lol

I finally finished the second of the three alchemy-themed pieces I was commissioned to do. I think it was the first time I did this back lighting type situation, so it was kind of hard for me to balance how light and dark the things in the shadows should be.  Anyway, it was made on illustration board with acrylic paints.

Here's a bigger version
https://orig14.deviantart.net/bbf8/f/2016/017/b/3/commission_the_alchemist_2_by_cdrice-d9ob6it.jpg
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 01:52:56 PM by CDrice »

Offline home

« Reply #580 on: January 17, 2016, 01:51:46 PM »
That look's really good! the back lightning adds quite some character. I really love your first alchemy themed painting too, I really like how the candles shine on the man's face.

Offline home

« Reply #581 on: January 30, 2016, 11:13:48 AM »
Painting is a nice way to keep your hands busy while listening to The Astonishing  :azn: Again not close to the paintings post above, but I am still improving a lot. Critisism would be really appreciated!

Absurditeit (Acrylic paint on canvas)

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #582 on: February 05, 2016, 08:42:11 PM »
I like that painting a lot. Some of the colors looks a bit washed out, but I guess that's more a problem with the way you took the picture than with the actual painting. Nice work! :tup

So here's a new quick illustration I've made instead of working on a client's commission  :lol.
It's titled MY MUUUUSIIIIC PLAAAAYEEEER

« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 07:34:12 AM by CDrice »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #583 on: February 06, 2016, 01:51:51 AM »
Brilliant! Definitely send that DT's way on Facebook and Twitter or something.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline home

« Reply #584 on: February 06, 2016, 01:55:23 AM »
Awesome! I really like the MUUUUSIIC PLAAYER (I can never take that line seriously haha) I like this Fayte even more than the one om DT's website I think. I prefer a well done paint like style over a not so great realistic style. Yours has way more character too, well done!

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #585 on: February 06, 2016, 07:42:51 AM »
Awesome! I really like the MUUUUSIIC PLAAYER (I can never take that line seriously haha) I like this Fayte even more than the one om DT's website I think. I prefer a well done paint like style over a not so great realistic style. Yours has way more character too, well done!

Yeah, I think that the first time I heard that line was the first time I laughed while listening to Dream Theater :lol And thank you for your comment. I don't think it's better than the official art, but I'll take the compliment anyway  :)

Brilliant! Definitely send that DT's way on Facebook and Twitter or something.

I would, but I'm one of the three person on this planet that has neither :lol But if anyone wants to share it on their page, go ahead. I have no problem with that.

Also I've made a gif for it  ;D

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #586 on: February 13, 2016, 08:46:36 AM »
Hello! So finally here it is. The third and final alchemy-themed pieces I was commissioned to do. *cheers*

I feel I screwed up the arm holding the magic stone, but maybe it's just my perception that is skewed since I've worked on it for a while. Either way I can now do some other stuff without feeling bad that I'm not working on those commisions  ;D

Offline home

« Reply #587 on: February 13, 2016, 10:40:03 AM »
That looks great, very characterfull again, I really like the magic stone. About the arm, I think it's okay, it might be a little odd, but that's probably just because you said it is, I don't think I would have noticed otherwise :p Perhaps it's the opening of het sleeve? The painting is really good nevertheless, awesome.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #589 on: February 13, 2016, 12:35:26 PM »
Perhaps it's the opening of het sleeve?

Mmm... you know I hadn't thought about it, but I think you might be unto something. It's unfortunate that I just finished varnishing it this morning  :lol

These are amazing!

https://www.roniviral.com/9-paintings-which-will-crush-your-brain-into-several-pieces/

It's like Magritte meets M. C. Escher. That's so cool! After a quick search I found that the guy who made them is a Canadian painter called Rob Gonsalves. Here are a few more of his paintings (some are repeats of the ones you posted though)

https://www.boredpanda.com/magic-realism-paintings-rob-gonsalves/

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #590 on: February 13, 2016, 12:58:20 PM »
These are amazing!

https://www.roniviral.com/9-paintings-which-will-crush-your-brain-into-several-pieces/

It's like Magritte meets M. C. Escher. That's so cool! After a quick search I found that the guy who made them is a Canadian painter called Rob Gonsalves. Here are a few more of his paintings (some are repeats of the ones you posted though)

https://www.boredpanda.com/magic-realism-paintings-rob-gonsalves/

His concepts are brilliant. Now this is art I can appreciate. Something so abstract and unreal that you don't know where one concept begins and the other ends.

Offline home

« Reply #591 on: February 13, 2016, 01:12:23 PM »
These are amazing!

That is amazing indeed! (Though I do really hate those vooral multipage article sites :p )

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #592 on: February 13, 2016, 04:32:42 PM »
These are amazing!

That is amazing indeed! (Though I do really hate those vooral multipage article sites :p )

True. I wish they'd just put everything on one damn page, or at least not one picture per page.  :lol

Offline home

« Reply #593 on: March 06, 2016, 07:45:24 AM »
Here is a painting I did this weekend, I'm pretty happy with how you can still see the line drawing at some places, but I could perhaps have thought a bit about making a more interesting composition.

Run! Run! The Mushroom Men.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #594 on: March 14, 2016, 08:37:59 AM »
This is such a friendly looking little mushroom man! :lol I really like the purple-ish faces on the ground. As for the composition, maybe just adding a few foreground elements like branches would have helped. Kind of like you were coming out of a dense area of trees and bushes and stumbled upon this scene in a more open area. But other than that it looks fine to me  :tup

Anyway, here's a painting I made for a contest held by Ubisoft for a new game of theirs. We had to illustrate a scene of what could happen if a pandemic struck. I didn't have a lot of time so I went for a comic book look instead of making a full painting.

And I also made an acrylic painting based from a random scribble.

And here's the scribble circled in red

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 02:54:35 PM by CDrice »