Author Topic: The Creativity Thread v. we need more artists! [NSFW]  (Read 103480 times)

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
Re: The Creativity Thread v. we need more artists! [NSFW]
« Reply #491 on: March 27, 2013, 05:04:12 PM »
Lookin' good, Ali!  Can't wait to see the finished product!
You'll have a very long wait :P
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #492 on: April 24, 2013, 06:43:34 PM »
CROSS-POST from the Doctor Who thread:

My final project in Drawing I this semester was the task of drawing all eleven of the Doctors (from Doctor Who). It was an arduous task, and it left me with little free time, but the result was something I'm quite proud of. My father and I built a TARDIS-frame to frame the Doctors in, and it was a huge hit at college. Everyone loved the drawings, and the TARDIS just added to that.

Anyways, here's some photos. They're taken with my phone, so they're not the best quality, but they give you the general idea. I'll get detailed pictures of all the Doctors later on after the assignment is graded in whatnot.

I used prismacolor pencils for the drawings. They are a type of colored pencil that are specifically made for art, and they're very high quality. I tried to express the character of each Doctor through their expression and the colors used, and I feel like they're all quite unified. In any case, I thought you guys would appreciate this!

Offline alirocker08

« Reply #493 on: April 28, 2013, 03:17:27 PM »
That's really good!

Decided to redo the face on that picture I'm doing. I mean, come on, it's not like I have exams or anything. Lips, eyebrows, and ears all need to be redone/finished, and once that's done I have to tidy up the rest of the skin as I upped the resolution, then I can get onto the hair again- Yay? I mean, it already looks a shit tonne better than the last picture I did.

Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #494 on: June 02, 2013, 08:54:17 PM »
Haven't checked this thread in a good while for whatever reason, but because I think you have definite potential, ali, I'm going to provide some constructive criticism for that image.

Alright, so first thing's first. Construction! We construct when we draw. Heads are one of the most construct-able things in the world-- faces can have so much variation, allowing us to create any sort of character or feeling through utilizing facial features! One of the most important things to realize about the face is that it is very, very complex, and has so many layers.

When I draw heads and faces, I like to look at the face as a series of complex plains. You'd probably hear that from any art teacher, too-- looking at the face in such a manner helps us to visualize where on a face features are located and how the underlying structure (in this case, the bones in the skull) creates the outer form.

When first drawing heads, people usually see them as ovals-- this isn't really true to form, however. The head is very much akin to a cube, actually-- George Bridgman in his books on constructive anatomy speaks on how the planes of the face attribute more to being cube-like rather than similar to any sort of sphere. Each piece of the face is essentially on a different plane, and this allows dynamic form and three-dimensional space to be implied when drawing. While we can construct the cranium in almost an oval-shape, the rest of the head is much more like a cube.

You can see in these two attached images the basic planes of the face. The obvious planes of the face are as follows:

1) The nose. It sticks out much more than anything. In your image, I feel as though the nose has been shaped in such a way as so it seems like it's receding in rather than protruding out. Try to think of the nose as a long, rectangular shape with a sphere at the end of it. I would recommend an actual reference of a nose to create a convincing nose in this case, as, as it stands, practice does usually make perfect, and working from life and from reference WILL get you the results you want if you stick at it!

This tutorial helps out a lot with noses, and explains them in more detail than I currently have, too! https://www.stanprokopenko.com/blog/2012/09/video-draw-nose-anatomy-structure/

2) The forehead. Don't be afraid to let its planes show as well. In the skull, where the sphenoid bone recedes in, the frontal bone and the temporal bone of the skull protrude out, giving the forehead its distinctive shape-- it curves back into the cranium. We can't see much of the forehead of your character, but before working on any of the finer details perhaps draw some structural lines on a different layer in order to give yourself some ground to work upon and some reference points as to how light will fall across the various planes of the face once you've determined a lightsource.

3) The last main thing that protrudes out is the chin. The jaw/cheek bones come out as well, and are apparent upon the face, but the chin is something that is distinguishable on most people, and also helps to add character.

So from here, what else can we learn? The face is fairly predictable in terms of measurements. Scientists have studied the exact proportions of the face, and though they vary occasionally, the usual proportions remain the same. Here are those proportions:

"The eyes are halfway between the top of the head and the chin.
The bottom of the nose is halfway between the eyes and the chin.
The mouth is halfway between the nose and the chin.
The corners of the mouth line up with the centers of the eyes.
The top of the ears line up above the eyes, on the eyebrows.
The bottom of the ears line up with the bottom of the nose."

Check this page for more on the rules: https://www.portrait-artist.org/face/structure4.html

Utilizing these measurements will help you convey an interesting and realistic face.

I feel as though the weakest point of your image is the lips-- they're basically the go-to version of lips people draw when not actually visualizing a human and how their lips are constructed.

Let's examine these lips for a minute! In the first image, you can see how lips are no more than just continuations of our skin. They're not suddenly some invention placed upon the face-- they're just skin, essentially! They're very intricate, too-- lips can make or break a drawing of someone, especially if you're going for a certain likeness. Everyone's lips are different. So, when inventing lips, like you're doing in your image, it's harder to imagine exactly what you're going for-- here again, references, references, references! Real life creates what we perceive and emulate when we draw, so return to the source when you're stumped!

The second image is a bit of a step-by-step, obviously, but it shows that lips are more intricate than sometimes seen.

The third image also shows this well-- lips are also angular in some instances.

This also shows how lips alternate light and dark-- lipstick changes this, of course, and you may have been going for that, but this still offers an interesting and helpful viewpoint on lips.

I think this drawing here shows a lot of what I've been discussing well. It establishes form, it locates the planes of the face, and most of all, it's very, very convincing!

I don't have a tablet pen at the moment and thus can't do a redline of your drawing, but I'm getting one in the mail in the next week or so and so if you'd like me to demonstrate what I'm talking about overtop of your drawing I'd be happy to!

I think you can take this work a lot further than you currently have, and I definitely believe you have the inspiration, willpower, and talent. It just takes practice and dedication, and also lots of drawing. My advice would be to get out your sketchbook and do lots of sketches of things-- they don't even have to be faces! They can be anything. Learning to see what you are drawing allows your hand to become trained to see as well, and after a good bout of drawing I believe you'll come back to this WIP and see the issues that you need to tackle.

If you have any other questions or would like me to go in-depth more, I would love to help! Hope to see more from you.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #495 on: June 02, 2013, 09:05:50 PM »
Oh, and so this thread-bump isn't without new artwork, here's some pixel stuff!

-my most recent Doctor avatar.

-an avatar I did of myself for myself on Twitter! you should all totally follow me for more arts-stuff.

-the newest WIP of this image, I've taken it a lot farther than I had the last time I uploaded a WIP.

Offline alirocker08

« Reply #496 on: June 04, 2013, 03:12:35 PM »
That was some excellent advice! I'll definitely act on it when I work up the inspiration to work on her again.

But for now, and considering I didn't see that until finishing another piece, here is a girl with all the errors previously mentioned, now with added derpy shoes and floating hands :P

But seriously, cheers Heretic, I know how I can rectify this piece as well if and when I decide to go back to it :)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #497 on: June 05, 2013, 02:43:35 PM »

-the newest WIP of this image, I've taken it a lot farther than I had the last time I uploaded a WIP.
This is looking great!

And great advice that you gave Alice as well. I'm not a visual artist myself, but I found it genuinely fascinating reading that.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #498 on: June 07, 2013, 04:38:33 PM »
Here I some pieces I recently used for my AP Studio Art Portfolio:

(recognize who I'm with?)

Sorry for such a long post!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #499 on: June 07, 2013, 05:47:46 PM »
My sister painted this today. She's not quite done yet.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #500 on: June 10, 2013, 06:38:29 AM »
Those are amazing Sarah! Great work

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #501 on: June 14, 2013, 03:59:06 AM »
Heretic, love the new pixel art in work. Can't wait to see the finished product.

True death of life, you're in high school?!?!?
You're prolly better than half the art kids in my graduating class at college.
For the love of god, don't stop.

Or I will find you.

I prolly won't.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #502 on: June 23, 2013, 07:49:23 AM »
Not mine, but really awesome.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #503 on: June 27, 2013, 08:06:14 AM »
My final project for animation was to do a 30 second original story.   Mine was 63 seconds. 

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, considering I winged it a couple days before the due date.  I'll probably want to redo it later with more detailed art, more sfx, more of a plot, ect, but this was enough to get a perfect score and an A in the class.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 08:14:22 AM by MasterShakezula »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #504 on: June 27, 2013, 08:08:01 AM »
Fix the link up! I need to see this! Your animations are always so hilariously random. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #505 on: June 27, 2013, 08:15:04 AM »
Fix'd it for ya.  I apologize in advance for any loss of IQ as a result of watching.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #506 on: June 27, 2013, 08:19:31 AM »
Some things are worth losing the brain cells for. :lol

And I even understood some of it! Nice job. You'll be running Pixar in no time.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #507 on: August 15, 2013, 03:56:11 PM »

tread lightly.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 04:38:52 PM by Heretic »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: August 15, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »

I drew a bath.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #509 on: August 16, 2013, 07:19:37 AM »

I really like this. It reminds me of hometree. Get it?  :lol :biggrin:

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #510 on: August 18, 2013, 12:15:39 AM »

redid and updated a lot of stuff on this, wasn't satisfied with it. much more happy with this version, though!

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #511 on: September 22, 2013, 02:39:23 PM »
As I mentioned on the DT side chat thread, I've started preparing for a project with a friend of mine where I will be illustrating a comic type thing he is going to write. It's about faeries of the old, old style rather than the modern style of fairies, so basically no wings, human sized for the most part and absolute dicks like the elves in Lords And Ladies by Terry Pratchett.

Now, I've come to realise a couple of things.

First, hands and feet are pretty difficult, so I would like to ask advice on how to do those in a not-shit manner.

Second, something which will come up less frequently but still most likely very often, I have realised that due to my (before uni) very limited interaction with girls and that at uni everyone just wore jeans, I have no idea how the hell a dress or a skirt interacts with the shape and movement of the leg. This having faeries in it, I am going to need to draw a fair number of dresses (pun not intended), so I would also like to ask if anyone has any tips for that too, because at the moment I am absolutely stumped.

I will post pics of character designs when I have got them to the point of not sucking heinously.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #512 on: September 26, 2013, 01:38:18 PM »
Cool stuff! If you'd ever be interested in drawing for another project let me know. I have a story I've worked on that I think would come across better in the graphic novel medium.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #513 on: September 26, 2013, 11:52:52 PM »
If I can get my other projects done, that'd be  cool.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #514 on: September 27, 2013, 12:39:16 AM »
Here I some pieces I recently used for my AP Studio Art Portfolio:

(recognize who I'm with?)

Sorry for such a long post!
Wow, never saw these when you posted them but they are AMAZING! :heart

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #515 on: September 27, 2013, 12:47:03 AM »
[img][https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/197708_10200334014248019_867351356_n.jpg/img]

I absolutely love this one.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #516 on: September 27, 2013, 02:50:04 PM »

Here's a design for Echo. The hands and feet suck, but it's basically the same design I made two years back, and I rather like it as a design idea.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #517 on: October 05, 2013, 02:18:46 PM »
and now I can present the artwork I did for Zantera's band's new album Into the Forest by Paris in the Spring! You can check out his music here https://parisinthespring.bandcamp.com/ and see the artwork there, too. It's really really good music, so check it out.

The final piece is a 4ft charcoal drawing but it's cropped a bit in the artwork so here's the full version.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #518 on: November 24, 2013, 09:43:02 PM »

The War Doctor from the 50th anniversary special!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #519 on: November 25, 2013, 12:34:30 AM »
:heart :D

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #520 on: November 25, 2013, 03:39:36 AM »
Here's a recent piece I've done, it's my character from Guild Wars 2 (Asura Necromancer) :D

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #521 on: November 25, 2013, 10:35:02 PM »
Hey dude that's pretty awesome! Mind if I crit a bit? I am not a big fan of how it's shaded; there seems to be no sense of volume to it and the clothes don't quite feel like clothes to me. The black outline also takes depth away as well. I think you could have been more dynamic in your color choices-- the palettes stay within their own ranges (red goes to dark red, blue goes to dark blue, etc) and I think some hue shifting and incorporating all of the colors in a more unified way (ie using hues from one area on an area that wouldn't in reality have those colors but could potentially be there from reflected light or to make the piece more unified). I really love the pose and the design of the outfit, and overall it's a strong image. Good work, man!

updated my John Hurt with some new facial structure changes and a new palette choice. I'm not sure which I like better, but the new one was me playing with shifting the hue much more than the original.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #522 on: November 30, 2013, 12:39:45 AM »
aight here's version 3.0 with a bunch of small but very effective edits, I wanted to get the likeness even more.

here's a comparison to see how much I changed

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #523 on: December 23, 2013, 08:41:21 PM »
So, every year I take part in a pixel art secret santa over at a different forum. I believe I've mentioned that before and posted last year's piece (the one in my signature) too but anyway here's my piece this year. One of my guy's interests was "Art Nouveau," which was a really popular art style in the past. I tried to emulate a style similar to Alphonse Mucha, who used thick outlines, intricate floral designs, patterns, and scantily clad women in his drawing style. A contemporary artist who takes much influence from Mucha is John Baizley from Baroness, who does artwork for both his band and many other metal bands, so there's a similarity to that in this work as well.

...Anyway, after all that rambling, here's the piece!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #524 on: December 23, 2013, 09:12:54 PM »
Very well down, that's actually pretty similar to a piece John has done, it looks very nice :)