Author Topic: DTF how do you sleep at night?  (Read 4364 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: DTF how do you sleep at night?
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2020, 02:33:23 PM »
With the A/C on the house is kept at 73. I sleep in my boxer briefs with a fan blowing on me and a top sheet cover. I cannot sleep without a cover over me.

With the heat on the house is kept at 69. I add a comforter on top of the top sheet but the fan stays on. Cannot sleep without the fan either.

My sleep has sucked for awhile now. Can't tell you the last time I actually slept through the night. Have actually had some sleepless nights lately. I'll be exhausted, but cannot fall asleep. Sometimes I will just get out of bed and listen to music on my PC and surf the net until I think I might be able to sleep.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2020, 02:41:27 PM »
Also: favorite position in bed?

....for sleeping I mean, keeping it on topic  :D

For whatever reason I lay on my right side and if I lay on my left side it just feels "wrong", dunno. I take naps in the noon laying on my back, and I even doze off and probably sleep - I notice it because I don't remember hearing songs from the album I keep on at a low volume for background - but I never sleep at night laying on the back. I'm always face down / lying on my right side.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2020, 03:29:33 PM »
The best is the winters, I'll crack the window open and get the bedroom into the 50's fantastic except for the sprint to the bathroom in the morning

Some days it's too cold, but generally, yeah, I agree hard with this. For me the magic period is this brief 2 week - 3 if we're lucky - period in October where the weather is absolutely perfect, and sleeping with the windows open/cracked makes the apartment feel amazing.
We get that down here, but that 2 or 3 week period is split over two months. We'll get a couple of days down in the 50s, then a week back in the 80s. Then a couple of days in the 40s, too cold to leave the windows open, and then it's back up in the 90s. While it's nice to get the cool evenings when they come about, those 50 degree swings really fuck with you pretty hard. Then Spring comes around and it's the same story.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2020, 03:51:54 PM »
Also: favorite position in bed?

....for sleeping I mean, keeping it on topic  :D

For whatever reason I lay on my right side and if I lay on my left side it just feels "wrong", dunno. I take naps in the noon laying on my back, and I even doze off and probably sleep - I notice it because I don't remember hearing songs from the album I keep on at a low volume for background - but I never sleep at night laying on the back. I'm always face down / lying on my right side.

Growing up I always slept on my stomach but now im a side sleeper and I prefer my right side. I've actually been trying to change to sleeping on my back because sleeping gives me bad back pain. Sometimes it gets so bad I start going from bed to couch to guest bed to try and get relief. I just can't fall asleep on my back unless it's a nap.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2020, 04:18:01 PM »
I so would love to say on top of a huge pile of gold or bundles of cash, but that's just fantasy, and probably wouldn't even be comfortable anyway.  I'm always going to wear sweats and a shirt in any season.  I have a bit of a minor skin condition that causes the skin to irritate in certain conditions, so I just like to limit the amount of layers I wear to bed.

Sometimes, if things get too warm in the summer, I probably leave the window like an 1/8th opened.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2020, 04:25:21 PM »
The best is the winters, I'll crack the window open and get the bedroom into the 50's fantastic except for the sprint to the bathroom in the morning

Some days it's too cold, but generally, yeah, I agree hard with this. For me the magic period is this brief 2 week - 3 if we're lucky - period in October where the weather is absolutely perfect, and sleeping with the windows open/cracked makes the apartment feel amazing.
We get that down here, but that 2 or 3 week period is split over two months. We'll get a couple of days down in the 50s, then a week back in the 80s. Then a couple of days in the 40s, too cold to leave the windows open, and then it's back up in the 90s. While it's nice to get the cool evenings when they come about, those 50 degree swings really fuck with you pretty hard. Then Spring comes around and it's the same story.

Yup, I also love that time of the year.  It's also the cheapest time of the year in terms of my heating/electric billing since the outside temp is perfect for indoors.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2020, 05:08:32 PM »
I was thinking about this yesterday and I'm curious if I'm the odd one out in regards to my sleeping habits. I like to keep the house at 66 degrees and typically sleep under one fairly thin comforter, if my wife is traveling I'll bump that temperature down to 64 degrees. My wife will have sweet pants, hoodie, weighted blanket plus another comforter good measure and still complains about it being too cold. What are your sleeping habits?

During the summer, we set the AC to come on at 76 and turn that down to 72 at night.  I sleep in a t-shirt and underwear with only the sheet over my bottom half.  The wife usually wears yoga pants and a t-shirt and always has a comforter.  I roll my half of the comforter into the middle of the bed.

When the weather is cooler, we set the heat to come on if the temperature gets down to 60, which is fairly uncommon (regardless of the outside temperature), and that gets turned up to somewhere between 66-68 during the day.  I wear the same thing to sleep but will get under the comforter.  The wife will go with sweats, a sweatshirt, extra blankets and a touque.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2020, 09:29:25 AM »
We keep it at 69 degrees and also run our ceiling fan in the bedroom, so we like it cool.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2020, 03:30:23 AM »
All of this Fahrenheit talk is really confusing.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2020, 04:06:36 AM »

Yeah, go metric or go home
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2020, 04:37:18 AM »
Thread title of the year contender this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2020, 04:55:13 AM »

It’s bizarre for me... when I honk of the outdoor temperature, it’s always in C; indoor is always in F. Guess that’s what I get being the “North” in North America.

:dunno:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2020, 05:46:38 AM »

It’s bizarre for me... when I honk of the outdoor temperature, it’s always in C; indoor is always in F. Guess that’s what I get being the “North” in North America.

Yeah, well, we think about temperature down here, we don't honk about it  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2020, 05:51:26 AM »

The King would be proud of this typo!! :lol :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2020, 07:51:42 AM »
 :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2020, 10:09:17 AM »

Winner!   :lol :lol :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline keysmania

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2023, 06:46:44 AM »
Sorry for necroing, but it seems like a good thread to bump. Sue me if not.
I find comfort in a cooler room, but 68-70 degrees is my sweet spot. Just a medium-thickness duvet works for me. I wear a t-shirt and shorts, it's the perfect compromise between not too hot, and not too cold. As for sleeping, I'm a side sleeper, so I usually fluff up my pillow to give my neck some support. A slightly dark and noise-free room works best for me.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2023, 07:29:28 AM »
I live in south Florida. So, we keep it at 73 degrees (new house so it feels plenty cool) and the fan on high. Light blanket, only boxers, sleep on my left side (I read that it's the best for your heart), sometimes feet out to keep extra cool.

In the cold months, when it gets to 30-50F at night, we don't run the heat except maybe once a year, and that's more for the kids than us.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2023, 07:42:31 AM »
I live in south Florida. So, we keep it at 73 degrees (new house so it feels plenty cool) and the fan on high. Light blanket, only boxers, sleep on my left side (I read that it's the best for your heart), sometimes feet out to keep extra cool.

In the cold months, when it gets to 30-50F at night, we don't run the heat except maybe once a year, and that's more for the kids than us.

Man that seems too cold for inside temp. I live in Tampa and I set mine to 78F during the day and night, in summer it's the same but with a fan on. We do turn the heat on when outside is lower than 50F
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2023, 07:58:25 AM »
I like it very cold in my house, to be fair. My wife doesn't like it and would agree with you. :lol

Offline Skeever

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2023, 08:00:34 AM »
I find that 66 is just perfect for me with a nice comforter but I worry about my son who tends to throw his blankets off in the night. However I bumped it up to 68 last night because of this, and I was so uncomfortable. I should not be sweating in my bed in winter. Tonight I will try 67  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2023, 08:13:43 AM »
66 is what we keep the thermostat however now that it's winter time I keep the windows open in the bedroom so it's around 60-62 at night.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2023, 08:23:01 AM »
Read my first post in this thread, and I've learned something since then. I've moved twice, and what I've found is that where you set the thermostat is not what your bedroom is. Three years ago I said I set it at 72 before turning in, but always suspected that my bedroom was much cooler. To get around the same ballpark at my last place I was setting it around 69. Currently it's closer to 66. I think the sleeping temp is probably about the same, though. In my case I hit the bed with the temp gun the other night and it was 62-63 in the evening and felt great to me. That's where I want things (plus a ceiling fan on high).

One of the very few things I dislike about my new place is the lack of windows I could leave open at night. There aren't many days a year I'd leave them open all night, but during the Winter it's nice to be able to open the bedroom window for an hour or so to crash dive the temperature in there.

Every house/apt has its quirks. Some vents put out more/warmer/less/cooler air. Some rooms naturally stay warmer or cooler. Some maintain more stable temps throughout the day. The thermostat may or may not be in a place where it accurately reflects what's going on (which is my biggest issue now). I've only been in my current digs for a few months, but I'm taking the time to really pin this whole thing down. As of today I'll no longer be on an electricity plan that encourages me to waste juice.

Anyhoo, now that it's cool(ish) out I've been sleeping great. AC is loud as fuck in my bedroom, and maintaining that "66" degrees had it running all night.

Also, re my first post, bed's holding up pretty well, and the sunrise alarm clock still rules.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2023, 08:32:34 AM »
Barto, just googled what the sunrise alarm clock is. So it tries to mimic sunlight to help you wake up naturally? How much of a difference do you find that it makes?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2023, 08:51:47 AM »
Barto, just googled what the sunrise alarm clock is. So it tries to mimic sunlight to help you wake up naturally? How much of a difference do you find that it makes?
I think it's wonderful. I don't know anything about light therapy, but I know it's far better to wake up gradually than be shocked out of your sleep. It's very rare that the secondary alarm gets me before I gradually awaken from the light. More often than not I'm half awake and listening for the secondary alarm which also gradually fades in.

Two caveats: Your room needs to be naturally dark. They're not hugely bright so they can't compete with natural sunlight. Second, quality matters. You don't want one that only has five or six steps between off and full. Any sudden change in lighting will wake you up quickly. The one I have is so gradual you can't see any change in lighting. For that reason it's impossible to know how many increments there are between 0 and 100, but I'd have to guesstimate this thing has at least 10/minute over 30 minutes.
E.F. Benson

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2023, 08:58:38 AM »
That's awesome. We still use a baby monitor for the little boy, and that thing produces a lot of light. I will see if I can get that covered up. Any recs for one?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2023, 09:07:52 AM »
I think it's wonderful. I don't know anything about light therapy, but I know it's far better to wake up gradually than be shocked out of your sleep. It's very rare that the secondary alarm gets me before I gradually awaken from the light. More often than not I'm half awake and listening for the secondary alarm which also gradually fades in.

Two caveats: Your room needs to be naturally dark. They're not hugely bright so they can't compete with natural sunlight. Second, quality matters. You don't want one that only has five or six steps between off and full. Any sudden change in lighting will wake you up quickly. The one I have is so gradual you can't see any change in lighting. For that reason it's impossible to know how many increments there are between 0 and 100, but I'd have to guesstimate this thing has at least 10/minute over 30 minutes.

I have hue blubs in most rooms of the house and I have this set up in the bedroom. I struggle really hard with getting up when the sun rises so late and it's so nice to have the lights come on and gradually wake you up.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2023, 09:31:57 AM »
That's awesome. We still use a baby monitor for the little boy, and that thing produces a lot of light. I will see if I can get that covered up. Any recs for one?
The Phillips ones seem to be the best all the way around. They have the red tint to begin with, and like I said, you can't tell when it's changing. That said they're also surprisingly proud of those things. As much as I love mine I wouldn't pay the $120 asking price. I bought both of mine (First one failed (bad cap) after ~5 years) on eBay. One open box and one used for about $40. I use the hf3510, but it's old and dumb as can be. If you want a smart version you'll pay a lot more.
E.F. Benson

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2023, 09:42:54 AM »
I'll go digging, thanks barto :tup

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2023, 09:54:23 AM »
There are cellphone apps that will act like a light alarm. My boss swears by his. I think it turn the screen on to a blank white screen and slowly increases the brightness. If your room is dark, I can totally see that being noticeable. I think his is set up such that if the light has been on full for a certain amount of time, it triggers an audio alarm incase the light didn't wake you.

Offline HOF

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2023, 10:09:42 AM »
I hate the cold. I keep the AC at 76 in the summer and the heat usually ends up about there in the winter (I am trying to keep it to 74 but when it gets really cold we’ll probably bump it up).

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2023, 03:43:36 PM »
I live in a generally warm environment, and I really prefer to sleep in a cooler setting, around 60-64 degrees Fahrenheit, but our new house no longer allows me such pleasures. At nights the temperature reaches up to 86 degrees. I don't have a thermostat; we only have air conditioning, but we don't use it because we have a small child. So, we keep the windows open at night. We're lucky that our house has quite a few windows, including three in the bedroom.

For our situation, a great purchase has been the Pluto pillows, which have temperature-resistant foam. While on our old pillows, we used to sweat quickly, it's not the case with these because they allow air to circulate inside and don't trap the temperature. I love them. Super comfortable.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2023, 04:07:21 PM »
Single three season duvet in Autumn/Winter. As it gets warmer either just a sheet or nothing at all. Usually wearing just boxers.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman