Author Topic: The Winery Dogs thread - Portnoy, Sheehan and Kotzen  (Read 112993 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: Mike Portnoy and John Sykes working on music together
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2012, 05:39:53 PM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2012, 06:06:39 PM »

Taking a walk on a beautiful day here in downtown OKC. Listening to Mike Portnoy's ipod touch voice memos of him hitting guitars with sticks randomly whilst shouting ass and balls ! Man I can not wait to play this stuff 4 you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2012, 06:52:45 PM »
So, how long until blabbermouth reports this and Portnoy then blames them for making a big deal out of it? :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2012, 06:53:05 PM »
So, how long until blabbermouth reports this and Portnoy then blames them for making a big deal out of it? :lol

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2012, 07:04:11 PM »
Wow.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2012, 08:17:08 PM »
Can't say I'm even remotely surprised by this.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2012, 09:49:11 PM »
Not a big deal. Sykes was never part of the core anyway.

Seriously though, man, he's really not having a lot of luck.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2012, 09:49:58 PM »

Yeah, I feel kinda bad for the guy.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2012, 09:52:41 PM »

rumborak

Flying Colors is still going fine at the moment isn't it? Anyone taking bets on that one?
I'm disappointed about this. This was the only one of Portnoy's projects I was interested in. I'm not a prog fan, and not so interested in the straight up metal either.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2012, 09:56:25 PM »

rumborak

Flying Colors is still going fine at the moment isn't it? Anyone taking bets on that one?

That one will probably go through, yeah. But at this point it's essentially down to one project with momentum, since AM's album release I personally just can't see generating that much interest.

rumborak

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2012, 01:16:35 PM »
I take everything Eddie says with a grain of salt, but what he is saying there makes perfect sense.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2012, 01:39:37 PM »
I take everything Eddie says with a grain of salt, but what he is saying there makes perfect sense.

Yeah.  So it was a bit more than just "Sykes leaves MP." :P

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2012, 02:03:33 PM »
I think Mike should call MTV and get a mega-deal for a reality show.  This is better than Jersey Shore...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2012, 02:06:37 PM »

It does indeed, all of it seems in character of what one knows about MP ("everything needs to be done yesterday") and Sykes ("everything takes ages"). I'm assuming he wanted to go about it the way he's been doing it the last few years, go into the studio and bang stuff out.

rumborak

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2012, 02:15:48 PM »
When was the last time Sykes released anything?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2012, 02:32:01 PM »
I think Mike should call MTV and get a mega-deal for a reality show.  This is better than Jersey Shore...

I would definitely watch this.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2012, 02:52:26 PM »
Oh well, this is a shame. Mike seemed genuinely excited to have this go somewhere, even recently (when he spoke at one of his gigs with Sherinian). This must have happened in the last couple days. Perhaps Sykes can shelve the material and they can come back to it when their timetables line up again? I suppose we can file this one under "The Things That May Never Be", like Portnoy/Morse/Matheos...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2012, 06:56:46 PM »
That really sucks.  This was certainly the project I was most interested in. 

edit:  just saw this:
In case you can’t take Trunk’s word on it, Portnoy himself confirmed the news via Twitter saying “Sad but true…I tried my best to make it work…me & the bass player couldn’t wait around any longer…” In a separate tweet, Portnoy also confirmed that the mystery bassist was Mr. Big’s Billy Sheehan and the two are already working with another singer and guitarist.
Sheehan with Sykes really would have been fantastic.  Sorry to see it come down to that. 

My question is:  why couldn't they wait around any longer?  WTF?  Sounds to me like the problem was MP's, and that's not a real encouraging sign, at all.

Musically,  this started out with Sykes and Portnoy acting as if they had some musical chemistry,  and what sounded like a killer project grew from that.  Aside from the fact that I really like John Sykes as a musician,  I can't say that I'm particularly interested in hearing a project that comes about by way of "John Sykes' replacement."  Just doesn't seem like it'd be the same.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 07:09:44 PM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2012, 09:13:11 PM »
Okay...so let's get this straight.

Mike was working with John Sykes and brought in Billy Sheehan. Everyone thought it was all golden.
John Sykes backs out, but Mike continues to work with Billy on some new music with a new guitarist and a vocalist.
On a side-venture, Mike and Billy team up with their friends Derek and Tony for a couple shows in January, performing instrumental music.

Mike just really needs to put the TWO projects together and do something with Sheehan/Sherinian/MacAlpine and this unknown vocalist. Or kick out MacAlpine and bring in the mystery guitarist as well. Either way, anything with Portnoy/Sheehan/Sherinian is bound to be GOLD.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2012, 10:11:28 PM »
In case you can’t take Trunk’s word on it, Portnoy himself confirmed the news via Twitter saying “Sad but true…I tried my best to make it work…me & the bass player couldn’t wait around any longer…” In a separate tweet, Portnoy also confirmed that the mystery bassist was Mr. Big’s Billy Sheehan and the two are already working with another singer and guitarist.

My question is:  why couldn't they wait around any longer?  WTF?  Sounds to me like the problem was MP's, and that's not a real encouraging sign, at all.

I have to agree. I may be "old school", but back then musicians would meet when they had something solid to record.
My theory is that MP plain tried to force the thing into his usual schedule. Meet for a few days in the studio, and put on tape whatever cones up. Sykes is more of the classical mindset of recording songs that have evolved.

rumborak

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2012, 10:35:20 PM »

I have to agree. I may be "old school", but back then musicians would meet when they had something solid to record.
My theory is that MP plain tried to force the thing into his usual schedule. Meet for a few days in the studio, and put on tape whatever cones up. Sykes is more of the classical mindset of recording songs that have evolved.

rumborak

Agreed - it seems like the idea looked good on paper, but their personalities may have been polar opposites. MP is always on the move, and every month he's either touring with a band, putting together a cover band, recording in the studio, doing drum clinics, or something else entirely. The man never knows when to stop, except for the obvious holiday-time with family.

I think with 2012 approaching, and not a lot (known) being done with this project, MP and Sykes probably decided it was best to shelve it considering how busy MP plans on being this year (touring with AMob and possibly FC, and recording at Neal Morse's studio next week for a week or so). I'll bet he has his year planned week-by-week up til June.

-Marc.

Offline Hprog

« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2012, 01:36:34 AM »
I think with 2012 approaching...
-Marc.

And I thought we were almost one whole month into 2012  :angel:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2012, 03:34:31 AM »
"I tried my best to make it work…me & the bass player couldn’t wait around any longer…"

"...'cos we don't have the royalties from an 8x-platinum album behind us that set us up for life and need cash sooner rather than later!"  :angel:

Seriously, if MP really, really wanted to work with Sykes then he'd work with him and find a way for their schedules to align and he wouldn't be passively blaming him for the project failing - such occasions are what the term "creative differences" was designed for.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sykes engineered his way out of the project using scheduling as his excuse.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2012, 06:54:15 AM »
https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=168739

Looks like it could be Richie Kotzen.

Doomed to fail, then.  Richie Kotzen is like the finger of death to every band he gets in.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2012, 07:12:32 AM »
After 6+ months, I can see not wanting to wait around anymore. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2012, 08:16:54 AM »
Seriously, if MP really, really wanted to work with Sykes then he'd work with him and find a way for their schedules to align and he wouldn't be passively blaming him for the project failing - such occasions are what the term "creative differences" was designed for.

Eh, maybe and maybe not.  Don't forget, this type of situation isn't really a first for Sykes either.  He was replaced in Whitesnake due to "creative differences."  Vivian Campbell got the Def Leppard gig over Sykes based on, from what I remember, similar kinds of statements.  I like him as a musician, but from what I've heard, he's not necessarily the easiest to work with either.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
Well, according to wiki (and I'd heard this elsewhere, but don't remember where), regarding the recording of the 1987 s/t album:

The next problem the band faced was a sinus infection with which Coverdale was stricken. This put the album's production behind schedule, especially when Coverdale underwent surgery and a six month long rehabilitation program. Sykes grew impatient and suggested bringing in a new vocalist and carrying on without Coverdale, which eventually led to the end of Coverdale's relationship with both John Sykes and producer Mike Stone.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2012, 08:23:15 AM »
Interesting that that is the version that ended up on wiki.  There are quite a few different versions of why they parted ways as I recall.  It would also be somewhat ironic if that were the case.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2012, 08:26:44 AM »
I recall reading somewhere that while Coverdale was recovering (recovering Coverdale?) that Sykes was in the studio laying down tracks without DC and that he didn't take too kindly to it.

Also, rumor has it that Robert Plant once referred to David Coverdale as "David Cover Version".

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2012, 08:39:16 AM »
Isn't it amazing how every time a project with Portnoy falls apart or goes awry, he is always quick to blame someone else?

"I tried my best to make it work...."

Of course.  I would expect nothing less from him at this point. :lol :lol :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2012, 08:46:07 AM »
I understand MP's point of view.  When you're a working musician, things either have to happen or not.  Time is money.  If Sykes isn't in, they need to know so they can figure out what else to do.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again