Author Topic: The Winery Dogs thread - Portnoy, Sheehan and Kotzen  (Read 112606 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Mike Portnoy and John Sykes working on music together
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2012, 08:56:51 AM »
Isn't it amazing how every time a project with Portnoy falls apart or goes awry, he is always quick to blame someone else?

"I tried my best to make it work...."

Of course.  I would expect nothing less from him at this point. :lol :lol :lol

That's not blaming anyone. It's just saying he tried to make it work. I don't see either party is to blame at all. It was just a difference that they couldn't sort out.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2012, 09:54:51 AM »
I think with 2012 approaching...
-Marc.

And I thought we were almost one whole month into 2012  :angel:

I mean that at the end of last year, MP was approaching 2012 is all his plans in mind, and probably felt that this project wasn't fitting in, and Sykes probably felt the same way. I suppose they just didn't have time for each other.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2012, 10:07:21 AM »
I understand MP's point of view.  When you're a working musician, things either have to happen or not.  Time is money.  If Sykes isn't in, they need to know so they can figure out what else to do.
This, from what's been brought up, it seems like Sykes can be a dud to work with.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2012, 10:11:15 AM »
Disappointed to see Sykes drop out, mostly because I like his work and would like to hear more of it. What I was looking forward to was seeing what Portnoy was going to play, because Sykes tends to write music that works better with a hard hitting drummer working grooves-which is why Carmine Appice was PERFECT for Blue Murder-and I'd be interested in hearing MP play that way.

I also have to admit that I'd like to see MP occasionally exercise some patience. Unless it was creative and/or personal differences that killed this, if it WAS an issue of timing, it wouldn't have hurt for MP to say "okay, we'll try this again when our schedules mesh." Not "oh, you can't do it now, okay, we'll just replace you and bang these songs out in five minutes!" MP seems to have gotten overly fond of the "write everything in the studio in a week" method, and I think it doesn't always work for every musician. There's some speculation there, I know, but it'd be nice to see MP do something where the music got a chance to breathe before being tracked.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2012, 11:56:35 AM »
I don't see a good songwriter in this new lineup. Not sure what can come out of this now.

BTW, loved the Blabbermouth comment "never seen anybody do so little with so many musicians". :lol

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2012, 01:39:58 PM »
Disappointed to see Sykes drop out, mostly because I like his work and would like to hear more of it. What I was looking forward to was seeing what Portnoy was going to play, because Sykes tends to write music that works better with a hard hitting drummer working grooves-which is why Carmine Appice was PERFECT for Blue Murder-and I'd be interested in hearing MP play that way.

I also have to admit that I'd like to see MP occasionally exercise some patience. Unless it was creative and/or personal differences that killed this, if it WAS an issue of timing, it wouldn't have hurt for MP to say "okay, we'll try this again when our schedules mesh." Not "oh, you can't do it now, okay, we'll just replace you and bang these songs out in five minutes!" MP seems to have gotten overly fond of the "write everything in the studio in a week" method, and I think it doesn't always work for every musician. There's some speculation there, I know, but it'd be nice to see MP do something where the music got a chance to breathe before being tracked.

So very this.

I was looking forward to this more than any of the other MP projects. Oh well.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2012, 02:02:11 PM »
Yeah, I was pumped for this too. It's too bad that they couldn't shelf it for awhile and just go with the flow, like others have mentioned.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2012, 03:01:27 PM »
Yeah, maybe it could be our most anticipated release of 2017.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2012, 03:06:02 PM »
This should be a lesson: don't hype a project up, or even talk about it being something that is gonna happen, until you are 100% that it is a go.  It is like a woman who tells everyone she is pregnant the days she finds out, but then miscarries a week later, and then has to tell everyone that she isn't pregnant anymore.  Best to make sure that all is well before opening your yap and telling the world.  So says I, anyway. :biggrin:

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2012, 03:07:57 PM »
This should be a lesson: don't hype a project up, or even talk about it being something that is gonna happen, until you are 100% that it is a go.  It is like a woman who tells everyone she is pregnant the days she finds out, but then miscarries a week later, and then has to tell everyone that she isn't pregnant anymore.  Best to make sure that all is well before opening your yap and telling the world.  So says I, anyway. :biggrin:

Ah, yes.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
Trunk Tweets:

I can confirm for those asking that @MikePortnoy & @BillyonBass are working w/ @Richie_Kotzen Nothing imminent, just doing some stuff 4 now

Offline kiwiclapton

• It all began with Beatlemania,
  • In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2012, 09:31:41 PM »
So according to R Kotzen's facebook page its a no go . Stink.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2012, 09:53:41 PM »
Quote from: Richie Kotzen
I wanted to address the recent rumor about the project with Billy, Mike, and I... Although we did throw some ideas around neither of us decided to make any public announcements so today's internet buzz was a surprise. I will say I am a fan of both Mike and Billy. I'm sure a collaboration would produce some interesting results.

Not necessarily a no-go.  Just not currently official.   
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2012, 10:09:24 PM »
Quote from: Richie Kotzen
I wanted to address the recent rumor about the project with Billy, Mike, and I... Although we did throw some ideas around neither of us decided to make any public announcements so today's internet buzz was a surprise. I will say I am a fan of both Mike and Billy. I'm sure a collaboration would produce some interesting results.

Not necessarily a no-go.  Just not currently official.

So he's pretty much assuring us that we shouldn't expect anything, just in case it doesn't happen in the coming months.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2012, 10:40:20 PM »
Aaaaand ... another one out. Could it get any more soap opera than this?

rumborak

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2012, 10:44:11 PM »
It just sounds like someone let the cat out of the bag before they'd really had a chance to organize anything official to the point where they could say it's definitely happening. Given the "buzz" he may actually be more likely to go ahead with it now. Or maybe not. Clearly too early to tell. I mean, how can he be out when he isn't even in yet? (ignore how bad that sentence sounds out of context)

Some people have too much of a dramalust. Is that a word? If not, I'm officially coining it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2012, 10:52:30 PM »
It just sounds like someone let the cat out of the bag before they'd really had a chance to organize anything official to the point where they could say it's definitely happening. Given the "buzz" he may actually be more likely to go ahead with it now. Or maybe not. Clearly too early to tell. I mean, how can he be out when he isn't even in yet? (ignore how bad that sentence sounds out of context)

That is true, but from the PR perspective this is another letdown. Within a month Ward, DiLeo, Sykes and Kotzen have been discussed and subsequently dropped.

rumborak

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2012, 11:02:38 PM »

That is true, but from the PR perspective this is another letdown. Within a month Ward, DiLeo, Sykes and Kotzen have been discussed and subsequently dropped.

rumborak

Speaking from a PR perspective, yes. But that's not really MP/Kotzen's fault.
And I still don't see this as dropped yet. Right now I could his participation going either way, although to be honest I'm not really familiar with Kotzen at all, so that's based on his one message.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2012, 11:42:37 PM »

rumborak

Speaking from a PR perspective, yes. But that's not really MP/Kotzen's fault.
And I still don't see this as dropped yet. Right now I could his participation going either way, although to be honest I'm not really familiar with Kotzen at all, so that's based on his one message.

Stop looking for anything other than the worst possible scenario. :p
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2012, 12:46:04 AM »
Why does Trunk insist on letting everyone know what MP is up to all the time?  I know he's in love with him, but it's like he's his official PA or publicist or something.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2012, 02:47:49 PM »
Not a huge Kotzen fan. His album with Poison was good but not a fan of his solo stuff or his voice, and not a replacement for Sykes.

I'd like to do an MP and let everyone know I'm going to date Kim Kardashian this weekend. She just doesn't know yet.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2012, 03:00:44 PM »
Why does Trunk insist on letting everyone know what MP is up to all the time?  I know he's in love with him, but it's like he's his official PA or publicist or something.

I thoroughly agree.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2012, 04:49:05 PM »

I thoroughly agree.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2012, 05:05:42 PM »

I thoroughly agree.

As much as I hate quote pyramiding, this.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2012, 05:13:16 PM »
Maybe it's time to change the thread title, no?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: Mike Portnoy and John Sykes were working on music together
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2012, 05:15:47 PM »

I concur.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2012, 05:23:15 PM »
MP and John...PSYCH!
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mike Portnoy and John Sykes were working on music together
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2012, 10:22:27 PM »

I concur.

No worries, done.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ħ

"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Bill Carson

Re: The Mike Portnoy, Billy Sheehan and ?? project thread
« Reply #134 on: January 27, 2012, 08:05:26 AM »
Thats a shame, was getting real interested if Kotzen would of got on board - he's one of the few "technical" guitarists that can really sing, has a fantastic soulful voice.
Oh well he could always give Nuno Bettencourt a call !

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: August 08, 2012, 11:56:19 PM »
Considering all the new info about this project, I am astounded I have to dig all the way back to page 12 to bump this thread.

Anyway, I think the new stuff with Richie Kotzen sounds very promising. I was not thrilled at all about John Sykes, and looking at Mike's latest post, it looks the it really was just going to be another Sykes solo record anyway:

The biggest difference is: the stuff with Kotzen is a three-way collaboration with me, Richie & Billy writing, arranging and playing everything together as a band.

With Sykes, it was all HIS material and it never got to the "collaborative" stage (and I'm not sure if it ever would've seeing the way he worked)...in fact, he refused to pick up a guitar and play with me & Billy in the same room...me & Billy basically tracked to his existing scratch guitar and vocals...
https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?high=&m=2780180&mpage=2#2784744

But I will keeping my eyes on this.

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #136 on: August 09, 2012, 09:25:42 AM »
Will definitely be keeping my eye on this.
Always loved Kotzen's playing - very blues funk but can also shred with the best of them -  & for me has one of the best vocals for someone who is more renowned for his guitar playing abilities.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #137 on: August 09, 2012, 09:31:45 AM »
That's an interesting parallel between Sykes and Kotzen, actually.  Both are VERY good vocalists that could easily have been successful, non-guitar playing lead singers of bands.  But they are not widely renowned as talented vocalists because their guitar playing overshadows their singing ability considerably.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #138 on: August 09, 2012, 09:35:25 AM »
Yeah, I love Richie Kotzen...great singer.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #139 on: August 09, 2012, 10:10:31 AM »
and I'm not sure if it ever would've seeing the way he worked)...in fact, he refused to pick up a guitar and play with me & Billy in the same room...me & Billy basically tracked to his existing scratch guitar and vocals... [..] the work ethics are just world's apart...

Man. I hate to beat that dead horse, but can he not write a single post without dissing a former band member? It's the same thing he did with the two AM guys who left.

Regarding the project, I'll have to hear something first. I listened to some solo Kotzen stuff but wasn't wowed (never been a big blues fan), and I know some Sheehan stuff from years back and wasn't all too taken in by it. I love Mr. Big, but I think there's a lot of Gilbert in it.

rumborak
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 10:16:36 AM by rumborak »