Author Topic: Breaking All Illusions (the song with Myung lyrics)  (Read 13054 times)

Offline Vajra

Breaking All Illusions (the song with Myung lyrics)
« on: July 25, 2011, 05:53:29 PM »
John Myung is finally making a poetic come-back, and this time with a song that's an epic 12:25 minutes long! (the longest song on the album)

What are your thoughts, speculations, expectations, hopes, and concerns for this song?

For me, I think BAI was the epic closer that DT intended to use to close the album, but decided afterwards to place BTS after it. With that in mind, I feel that BAI could be the next Learning to Live or Trial of Tears, judging by its length, track placement, and use of JM lyrics. All in all, I think this song will be fucking amazing.

As for lyrics, I'm expecting traditional Myung.... poetic, metaphoric, emotional, spiritual, and thought provoking.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Breaking All Illusions (the song with Myung lyrics)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »
In a dramatic turn of events, these will be his worst lyrics ever and it'll be about magicians.

Offline Vajra

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 06:21:51 PM »
In a dramatic turn of events, these will be his worst lyrics ever and it'll be about magicians.
Followed by the dramatic turn of events of mass DT fan suicide.

Offline wammabe

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 07:37:41 PM »
I'm hoping to see songs like Metropolis pt.1, Learning to Live, Scarred, Lines in the Sand, and Trial of Tears in this album. Songs like this used to be Dream Theater's "epics". I really miss them. After seeing the track sizes and the fact that Myung wrote lyrics for Breaking All Illusions, my hopes to see a song like this increased.

According to James, Beneath the Surface is a song made by Petrucci, so its very likely that Breaking all Illusions was originally going to be the final song in the album.

I'm really hoping that Far From Heaven would be like Vacant, Hell's Kitchen, or Wait For Sleep, those were all beautiful songs and made the upcoming song even more epic.

Offline Vajra

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 07:41:20 PM »
^^Yeah JP came into the studio with "Beneath The Surface" already made I believe, so I doubt that was the original choice for closing track. I'm pretty convinced that "Breaking All Illusions" will be the big epic of the album.

Also...

BMUBMD
BITS
BTS
BAI

Why so many b's?

Offline darkshot

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 08:23:09 PM »

BMUBMD
BITS
BTS
BAI

Why so many b's?

And 2 songs have the word break in the name...  To me all the song names seem to be very closely tied together.  The theme seems to be related to falling or sinking.  It starts above the clouds on the backs of angels, gets broken down below the clouds, they land on a bridge in the sky that breaks their fall, their outcry makes them fall further from heaven, they break the illusion of the reflection of water, and sink beneath the surface.

NUGGETZ!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 08:33:09 PM »

BMUBMD
BITS
BTS
BAI

Why so many b's?

And 2 songs have the word break in the name...  To me all the song names seem to be very closely tied together.  The theme seems to be related to falling or sinking.  It starts above the clouds on the backs of angels, gets broken down below the clouds, they land on a bridge in the sky that breaks their fall, their outcry makes them fall further from heaven, they break the illusion of the reflection of water, and sink beneath the surface.

NUGGETZ!

You just blew my fuckin' mind.

Offline Slain

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 08:42:45 PM »

LET ME INTRODUCE
MY WAND
A POINTY GENTLEMAN
SHOOTS SPELLS AND SHIT
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 10:34:24 PM »
Probably in ADTOE fashion, the song will feature only a snipit of lyrics ala Vacant, and 11:59 minutes of instrumental madness.

Offline Mbarak

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 11:27:57 PM »
I'm not sure it's healthy to put so much anticipation for a song. You pretty much set yourself for disappointment.

Personally, I will (or try to) listen to the song with an open mind, with no pre(mis)conceptions of its quality. Gotta remember,  the last time JMX wrote lyrics wasn't bad but it wasn't poetry material either.

I remember when Portnoy announced prior to BC&SL's release that it will sound like "a Dream Theater album with 'A Change of Seasons', 'Octavarium', 'Learning to Live', 'Pull Me Under' and 'The Glass Prison' all on one album." I listened to the album with this expectation and I was severely disappoint. Later on once the preconceived idea was gone, I realized there are some good tunes there.

Offline Vajra

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 12:06:52 AM »
I'm not sure it's healthy to put so much anticipation for a song. You pretty much set yourself for disappointment.

Personally, I will (or try to) listen to the song with an open mind, with no pre(mis)conceptions of its quality. Gotta remember,  the last time JMX wrote lyrics wasn't bad but it wasn't poetry material either.

I remember when Portnoy announced prior to BC&SL's release that it will sound like "a Dream Theater album with 'A Change of Seasons', 'Octavarium', 'Learning to Live', 'Pull Me Under' and 'The Glass Prison' all on one album." I listened to the album with this expectation and I was severely disappoint. Later on once the preconceived idea was gone, I realized there are some good tunes there.
Well my favorite novel is "Great Expectations" so I can't help it  :biggrin:

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 12:14:50 AM »
I will wait until I've heard it. Until then, I have a more or less neutral attitude towards the song. I am excited about the JM lyrics, though.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 12:22:46 AM »
When/how did we find out the song lengths?

Offline wammabe

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 12:35:50 AM »

We calculated them.

Offline metropofreak

• I like turtles
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 01:26:03 AM »

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 01:37:07 AM »

In the press release about the box set.

Offline Dekost

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 02:20:06 AM »
Myung wrote the lyrics, so it's gonna be the best DT song since 1999 or something.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 03:03:47 AM »
I don't think we can predict anything. He hasn't written any words on his own in 15 years, his approach to writing lyrics might have changed. Maybe they ain't as philosophical and deep as they used to be, they might have gone from Voices to The Count of Tuscany, the way it happened with JP. We might get something different, who can really tell?

Offline Psy

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 04:01:04 AM »

BMUBMD
BITS
BTS
BAI

Why so many b's?

NUGGETZ!

You just blew my fuckin' mind.

Offline Mbarak

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 04:01:51 AM »
I don't think we can predict anything...they might have gone from Voices to The Count of Tuscany, the way it happened with JP.

It hurts just thinking of this possibility  :| :sadpanda:

Offline Guitalguy

• Blackness awakens Visions come alive
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 05:43:56 AM »
James said in the interview that the reason why JM wrote these lyrics were that he really found the theme of the song interesting, and expressed that he wished to do the lyrics for this one. And I don't think he'd do that if he didn't have anything less than brilliant in mind.

Since he hasn't written any lyrics since Scenes, I'd think that he wants to show everyone that he still has got it, and not write something mediocre, and hope nobody notices. He wouldn't put out something that's not good.

MP said in the LSFNY commentary: "When JM speaks, we listen." Usually that's because JM doesn't say anything unless it's worth saying. A lot of people could learn from that.

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 09:36:23 AM »
My speculation: instrumental
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 09:40:55 AM »
Usually that's because JM doesn't say anything unless it's worth saying.
LOTR reference here ? ;D
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Vajra

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 10:18:11 AM »
I don't think we can predict anything. He hasn't written any words on his own in 15 years, his approach to writing lyrics might have changed. Maybe they ain't as philosophical and deep as they used to be, they might have gone from Voices to The Count of Tuscany, the way it happened with JP. We might get something different, who can really tell?
That's one of my concerns, that his lyrical approach has suffered from JP syndrome, as in, gone from great to bad. I'm going to remain hopeful though, I have this gut feeling that we're in for something great.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 10:40:17 AM »
^ Me too, much because it seems like the JP syndrome is even starting to let JP hemself go. At least that's the feeling I get from OtBoA.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 12:59:03 PM »

He co-wrote the song with Icy

Offline Knguro

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 01:14:23 PM »

We calculated them.

Never laughed so hard at work
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 01:26:38 PM »

He co-wrote the song with Icy

standing on
the backs
of angels destined
to create mounting the
attack while

heroes carry the
weight

Offline Guitalguy

• Blackness awakens Visions come alive
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 01:47:04 PM »
Usually that's because JM doesn't say anything unless it's worth saying.
LOTR reference here ? ;D

YES.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 01:54:07 PM by Guitalguy »

Offline pmahoney1337

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 01:47:33 PM »
The difference between Myung and Petrucci is that Petrucci has been continuously writing lyrics since then, his creative thinking was bound to get lost somewhere. If it's been 15 years since Myung has written any of his own words, like you say, then he's gotta have something good cooked up somewhere.

BMUBMD
BITS
BTS
BAI

Why so many b's?

NUGGETZ!
Very nice observation.

Offline olliemedsy

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2011, 02:02:16 PM »
could someone possibly post a link to where they said the track lengths?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2011, 02:11:48 PM »
Why? It's just what the track lengths are, and it's on wikipedia.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Dramatic_Turn_of_Events#Track_listing

Offline olliemedsy

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2011, 02:33:24 PM »
yeah but i want it to be legit. not something that some paedophile could have easily typed up on wiki  :)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2011, 02:34:45 PM »
??? It was legit, Roadrunner posted it.

Offline Vajra

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2011, 02:48:03 PM »
yeah but i want it to be legit. not something that some paedophile could have easily typed up on wiki  :)
Road Runner Records confirmed the track lengths in an article. They are the label DT is under. So everything you see on Wikipidia is legit.