Author Topic: Songs that get "lost" in an album due to flow and such things  (Read 5429 times)

Offline EuropaEndlos

Re: Songs that get "lost" in an album due to flow and such things
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2011, 09:55:25 PM »
Love the thread, great idea OP!

For me on I&W it's definitely Glass Moon...  I mean that song is in a tough spot...  But it is awesome, I think after I went to see them at Radio City and kept listening to the track when they released Score made me appreciate it more... That bass is awesome.

On Awake it's definitely Lifting Shadows for me... Love Lie, and always waiting for Scarred...  Poor songs right in between em...

FII is much harder...  Really not a fan of "You Not Me" forget Desmond Child...  I actually kind of like Burning My Soul, it's catchy...  And Lines is one of my favorites...  So I'd say Hells Kitchen gets kind of lost... Take Away My Pain maybe too actually, though I think Just Let Me Breathe is kind of a weak track...  Still following up Lines?  Hard task to beat Take Away my Pain!

Scenes, I have to agree with you all on "One Last Time"  Also Through Her Eyes, I mean it's a soft song, but it's not Spirit Carries On, and it's in between Beyond This Life and Home  :omg:

Definitely not a huge Six Degrees and Train of Thought fan...  

Definitely has to be Answer and I Walk Beside You but, I don't know if that's because I'm not the biggest fan of those two songs...  Sacrificed Sons definitely gets lost in between Never Enough and 8VM... Though aside from the awesome instrumental passages dunno how big a fan I am of the rest of SS...  

Can't really comment on SC and BC since I haven't gotten into them as much...

Definitely don't forget Perfect Strangers on ACoS "EP"

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2011, 10:01:52 PM »
Images and Words- I totally agree about Under a Glass Moon. It took some time to fully appreciate it.
Awake: A Mind Beside Itself. I'm not a big fan of it, so I tend to skip those 3 tracks, as I like the rest of that album tons more.
Metropolis: Definitely Through Her Eyes and One Last Time.
Octavarium: Again, agreed about Sacrificed Son. I had to listen to it by itself to appreciate it because whenever I put the CD in, I'm ready for the title track at that point. SS is pretty good though.
Systematic Chaos: Repentance ruined the album for me. It bored me to death, and made me take the CD out, not listening to the last tracks for quite some time. I was missing out on some good material.
Black Clouds: Nothing really, I like the 3 normal songs and then 3 epics deal. The first half is inferior to the second half in a huge way and I tend to skip     A Rite of Passage and Wither, but it isn't a flow thing, it's just personal preference.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2011, 12:26:10 AM »
Why do people think Scarred is lost in the album?

Um because by that point they've given up?  :neverusethis:

dark eternal night ruins the whole flow of SC imo
Ohhh, definitely not! Dark Eternal Night is the perfect end to side A. Good segue from the metal section to the experimental section. The metal section climaxes with the heaviest song of the side, but it goes by way of an absolutely frantic instrumental interlude.

Incidentally, I've always kind of thought that SC might work quite well with ItPoE parts 1 & 2 as track one, before going into Repentance. Something a bit like...

1. In the Presence of Enemies
2. Repentance
3. Constant Motion
4. The Dark Eternal Night
5. Forsaken
6. Prophets of War
7. The Ministry of Lost Souls

So it sort of climaxes, then builds up momentum again.

High five, my friend. o/
I have always had ITPOE as one track at the end of the album, somewhat more typical of a DT album. So the album opens with Forsaken. Maybe Forsaken would get lost on the album if I had the regular track order, but this way the album builds nicely from the opener, to the heavier CM, to the even heavier TDEN, before the breather of Repentance. I don't feel like TDENgets lost at all. To me it's the peak, if anything.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2011, 12:15:34 AM »
The only problem with that is I don't see TMOLS as a good closer at all.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2011, 12:31:56 AM »

Really? I mean, it's not an ideal closer, but I think ITPOE PT. 2 was the worst closer on almost any of their albums.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Elaitch

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2011, 09:26:42 AM »
Some of these songs for me are hard to see as easily "lost" and skippable. For example, Vacant and Through Her Eyes as well as Repentance and Disappear are great examples of breathers and should be appreciated as such. For example, Train of Thought without Vacant would be quite tedious with all the rawking without any contrast.

Offline perfectchaos180

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2011, 09:51:13 AM »
My first thought was These Walls, but now I'll just say all of Octavarium...

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2011, 09:53:03 AM »
Some of these songs for me are hard to see as easily "lost" and skippable. For example, Vacant and Through Her Eyes as well as Repentance and Disappear are great examples of breathers and should be appreciated as such. For example, Train of Thought without Vacant would be quite tedious with all the rawking without any contrast.
Very true.  You need the quieter songs as a break from all the hard-hitting stuff, otherwise listening to the album straight through would be exhausting.

On the other hand, a lot of people, when they think of Dream Theater, think first of the heavier songs.  I often put albums on and let them play as background music while gaming or watching TV, mostly for the heavier stuff.  In that sense, the quiet songs tend to slip past me without much notice, which may be more what the original post was getting at.  When actually listening to the album, like in the car, the quiet songs are a nice break and don't go unnoticed.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2011, 06:59:55 PM »

Really? I mean, it's not an ideal closer, but I think ITPOE PT. 2 was the worst closer on almost any of their albums.
Oh.  I love INPOE pt 2.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges