Author Topic: 6:00 vocal cover  (Read 9110 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: 6:00 vocal cover
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2011, 11:57:44 PM »
That was actually listenable.

I agree with others though on your range.  It sucks to say, but it doesn't seem like you have the range to sing Dream Theater.  Is it the end of the world?  No, but you have to play to your strengths.  I'll give you an example you might understand, and I even converted to metric for you.  A tall kid wants to become a basketball player and play center like his favorite player.  When he's done growing, he's 15-20 centimeters too short to play the center position.  That doesn't mean he can't become a basketball player, but he won't have the height to play the position he wants.  If he accepts his height limitation, he can play another position.  You aren't going to get make enough money to keep a roof over your head singing DT covers, so you might as well focus on original material that is within your natural skill set.  That's as nice as I'm going to be with this. 

Offline Ħ

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2011, 12:09:33 AM »
You don't have the range now, Nicky, but if you put the time into it, you could learn it.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2011, 12:10:19 AM »
You don't have the range now, Nicky, but if you put the time into it, you could learn it.

He put close to a year into it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2011, 12:13:02 AM »
You simply aren't hitting the notes, low or high.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2011, 04:01:58 AM »

He put close to a year into it.
Eh, I like to think that anyone can do it if they truly try. =)
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2011, 04:50:00 AM »
You simply aren't hitting the notes, low or high.

This, plain and simple. Whatever some guys here are philosophizing about ranges of voices, it doesn't matter. He can't sing on pitch inside his range, and that is a death sentence for any singer.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but, like... why would you record a song while you had a cold?    ???

He used the same excuse last year. If I had a dime for every time I've had a singer tell me "I have a cold, sinusitis, nodules etc etc", I'd be rich.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2011, 05:03:32 AM »
Wasn't great to be honest Nicky.  If your really serious about wanting to singing get some lessons...A LOT!!  It was out of tune, far beyond your range mate, most people can only dream about having the range and tone JLB did during his early years.  Go right back to basics with your singing, I mean as far back as you can, learning scales and stick to them!  Also ear training could help you out a lot!!!  Good luck!

EDIT: Just listened to the Pull Me Under cover you did and that was far far far beyond your range.  You could damage your voice singing like that.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 05:09:05 AM by jonny108 »

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2011, 07:24:45 AM »
I think you are an OK singer but you have to work within your range. If it's not in the range you could hurt your voice, and honestly with some work you could be a pretty good singer, but you may never have a huge range like James. Don't feel bad, because a lot of people (girls included) don't, and you don't have to sing high to sing good.

:heart keep up your dream!

EDIT: OH and Nicky, I notice a lot of times you say, "Singing this when I had ____" and such. If you have a cold, or are in the middle of a vocal chord rupture, don't sing!
Yes I understand James did sing in the middle of a bad bad rupture but he was lucky to get out without losing his voice complete.y
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2011, 07:30:33 AM »
I have to ask a question into the round here: The ones saying he's pretty good or OK, do you guys don't hear the issues, or do you you hear them and just don't see them as grave?

rumborak

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2011, 08:25:30 AM »
Stop being a mean face, Rumborak. I didn't watch the whole thing, and I'm far from being a good singer, but Nicky was decent enough to be the kareoke champion at a bar. Keep trying mate. With great power comes great responsability or something.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2011, 08:31:34 AM »
Stop being a mean face, Rumborak. I didn't watch the whole thing, and I'm far from being a good singer, but Nicky was decent enough to be the kareoke champion at a bar.

I'm not being a mean face, I'm just trying to be honest, because I have the impression that quite a few people here sugarcoat their true assessment of the video.
But again, I find your statement rather astonishing. You say he'd be the karaoke champion of the night. Interestingly I had considered making a karaoke statement myself, but rather that the quality was average karaoke bar night material.
So, what really amazes me here is that we have such vastly different views of the vocals.

rumborak

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2011, 08:34:18 AM »
I have to ask a question into the round here: The ones saying he's pretty good or OK, do you guys don't hear the issues, or do you you hear them and just don't see them as grave?

rumborak

With the higher notes, I really hear the issues. With the lower notes, I hear that he's not hitting the same notes as the original lots of times, but the notes that he's hitting still sound "on key" if that makes sense. I liked his cover of the Hunter awhile back, and didn't think it was awful at all. But this stuff certainly is.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2011, 08:53:36 AM »
Iced Earth's The Hunter? And I only said kareoke champion because I figure most people who do kareoke are awful, at least the ones I've seen. Then again, you're just supposed to have fun with that like Rock Band. Like I said, I didn't watch much of the video, so what I saw wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible either. I do understand he's trying to go pro, so that's why there's a bunch of Simon Cowells in here, and I agree, there shouldn't be any sugarcoating. But chin up, Nicky. At least you don't sound like Weird Al.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2011, 10:00:08 AM »
I think it would be interesting to hear a recorded track from him without the proper vocals in the back. E.g. Wither: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4pUwhwkTIE or WFS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzf7obdBN7E

rumborak

Offline PreHilbert

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2011, 06:34:03 AM »
I listened to the OP's version and was drawn to make my own version. I did not have time to rehearse it so I just did one take. I hope it's not that bad, would like to hear some comments. I sort of used a more raucous tone than my usual one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbodhPhyHS0

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2011, 06:39:40 AM »
I listened to the OP's version and was drawn to make my own version. I did not have time to rehearse it so I just did one take. I hope it's not that bad, would like to hear some comments. I sort of used a more raucous tone than my usual one.

Parts of it weren't and you sounded a bit strained on the higher notes, but it was passable. It was much better the Nicky's-- and he had the huge advantage of singing along with the James' actual vocal track.

Offline kiwiclapton

• It all began with Beatlemania,
  • In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2011, 04:12:30 AM »
I enjoyed it, thanks.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2011, 05:19:49 AM »

A couple of comments:
Yeah, as mentioned, good call on singing to the MIDI track. Not only can one judge your singing much better, it also show whether you get the timings (you had a few hiccups here and there, but overall quite good)
The pitches were good, I liked that, including in the lower ranges.
Some improvements: You're a bit over-enunciating and over-emphasizing, and that makes the pitches suffer. You also have a tendency to cut the notes off prematurely (this is a common problem with singers), try to keep them longer.

Overall I liked it. Not stellar, but a good effort for sitting at the computer with headphones on. And thank you thank you for not having any antics (other than the clearly visible enjoyment of the music :lol )

rumborak

Offline PreHilbert

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2011, 09:39:26 AM »
Thank you guys for the feedback and the nice comments, not sure if completely deserved :) I am not trying to go pro or whatever, I played guitar in a DT cover band in my teens and early 20s, but I had to quit (and basically stop playing guitar)  essentially because of mathematics (my job). I have always sung backing vocals in every band I was (most notably, I did the Lukather parts in a toto cover band), but I never saw myself as a lead singer (nor I see myself as one now).

This 6:00 cover was quite improvised (even though I have known the song for 15 years or so and it has always been a great singalong tune for me...); I might try some other tune with a more detailed study of the vocal part...

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2011, 09:53:16 AM »
It wasn't very good at all. It doesn't seem like you have a lot of singing talent, unfortunately. I don't think I'm being rude for saying the truth. You're off key in your normal range, and nowhere near the actual notes in the high register (if we can call it that). If you don't have the pipes, you just don't, I've spent almost 4 years now and I've kept trying to sing DT, and I practiced and tried to push my voice and everything, and I still can't do it. On the other hand, I've mastered a good vibrato and I'm in tune in my natural range, and that's what you should focus on I think.

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2011, 01:04:04 PM »
I think you should look into lessons. You CAN be a good singer--you have potential--but there's a lot of work to be done there.

Also, you may want to look into writing your OWN songs that are within your OWN range. Singing DT covers won't improve your voice at all because it's not in your range at all.
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2011, 08:49:33 PM »
YES! hes back! i just love reading the threads  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Scooterfruit

« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2011, 10:03:11 PM »
Well the biggest issues here are the complete lack of breath support and control, and the fact that you absolutely cannot sing in this range. I'm new to the forum and haven't seen or heard you before, but I do know what I'm talking about here for the most part.

You will hurt your voice by continuing to sing like this and forcing this range than you simply don't have. Plus you should study up on breath support, or even better, take some lessons if you do want to get better.

Most of all, just sing songs that play to your strengths which was the lower range. Although, admittedly you were missing a lot of the lower notes as well. This could be from the cold, but whatever. The main point is, your high range is basically non-existent so work on you lower range.

Also, please lose the pseudo-JLB movements. It's kind of weird... :P

Hope this helps!

Offline i am fabio

« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2011, 01:45:25 AM »
Stop being a mean face, Rumborak. I didn't watch the whole thing, and I'm far from being a good singer, but Nicky was decent enough to be the kareoke champion at a bar.

I'm not being a mean face, I'm just trying to be honest, because I have the impression that quite a few people here sugarcoat their true assessment of the video.
But again, I find your statement rather astonishing. You say he'd be the karaoke champion of the night. Interestingly I had considered making a karaoke statement myself, but rather that the quality was average karaoke bar night material.
So, what really amazes me here is that we have such vastly different views of the vocals.

rumborak

My initial statement in this thread is pretty friendly and sugar coated....Brutal honesty is that he is tone def and doesnt know it. He will never be any sort of singer inside or outside of his range. Lessons won't help him as he is tone def. Most of my friends who don't sing could do a better job on their first effort.

In a bar it would be passable but not good and nobody would think you put any work into singing...sorry Nicky. I hate bein the bad guy (unlike Rumborak lol) but unless ure just havin fun this is a waste of time.

Offline PreHilbert

« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2011, 04:54:33 AM »
I agree with most of the comments about the OP's version.  I want to say this about him.  I have never had  a particularly nice tone or studied vocal technique extensively, but I improved my singing a lot thanks to ear training (which I did extensively while studying and playing the guitar). While tone, range and technique are harder to master (and you have to be born with it to some extent), good accuracy of pitches is obtainable by most people who train a bit.

So my advice to him is to do a crapload of ear training. Once you are comfortable with singing notes and intervals, and you plan to learn a song, try singing each phrase pf the song separately (e.g. I-may-ne-ver-get-oh-veer) super slowly and making sure you NAIL the notes and the intervals. This way you will find yourself in tune most of the time when you sing the real song. Moreover try staying inside your range more. Good luck!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2011, 08:10:10 AM »
Nicky, it's really nice to see you're accepting the criticism now. That's the way to improvement. :tup

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2011, 04:52:09 PM »
I think it would be interesting to hear a recorded track from him without the proper vocals in the back. E.g. Wither: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4pUwhwkTIE or WFS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzf7obdBN7E

rumborak

Thanks for those links, I'm going to sing those soon, so you can get the best view on how I sing.
I've also planned to re-record The Hunter.

I'll keep you updated.

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2011, 07:29:04 AM »
Make sure you are pushing from your diaphragm and taking a "great" breath every time you breathe it will do wonders for your singing.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2011, 08:02:48 AM »
Thank you guys for the feedback and the nice comments, not sure if completely deserved :) I am not trying to go pro or whatever, I played guitar in a DT cover band in my teens and early 20s, but I had to quit (and basically stop playing guitar)  essentially because of mathematics (my job). I have always sung backing vocals in every band I was (most notably, I did the Lukather parts in a toto cover band), but I never saw myself as a lead singer (nor I see myself as one now).

This 6:00 cover was quite improvised (even though I have known the song for 15 years or so and it has always been a great singalong tune for me...); I might try some other tune with a more detailed study of the vocal part...

Just listened, I thought it was good technically. You can tell unlike the OP you can hit those notes in a clear and non-painful voice. The only issues imo were some rhythm stuff as you said.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2011, 08:02:58 AM »
I will not lie to you just to be nice. Its not good. Your like an untuned guitar. Your totally off key from start to finish. Anyone who says different is lying to you to make you feel good.
Sorry.
See you next year.

Don't give up. You'll get there if you keep trying. Lessons, lessons, lessons.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:25:09 AM by tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2011, 04:13:18 PM »
I don't understand how people can honestly think this video is good.  ???

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2011, 07:09:48 PM »
I will not lie to you just to be nice. Its not good. Your like an untuned guitar. Your totally off key from start to finish. Anyone who says different is lying to you to make you feel good.
Sorry.
See you next year.

I'm not sure I agree with the last part. Assuming he has been taking lessons for the past year.....he has shown no improvement at all. Some people just aren't meant to be singers.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kaelvin

« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2011, 08:42:36 PM »
Nicky, could you record slowly going up and down of a scale? Enough octaves to cover the range of 6:00... Say...as many notes as you can hit in C major from middle-C for 2 octaves? That, we will be able to take a tuner and show objectively when you are off pitch, which we cant do with a song.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2011, 03:49:03 AM »

rumborak

Thanks for those links, I'm going to sing those soon, so you can get the best view on how I sing.
I've also planned to re-record The Hunter.

I'll keep you updated.

I would suggest WFS, of the two. I think it will show whether you understand what's going on rhythmically. Wither is a bit too easy in that regard.

rumborak

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2011, 06:04:50 AM »
Sorry.
See you next year.

I'm not sure I agree with the last part. Assuming he has been taking lessons for the past year.....he has shown no improvement at all. Some people just aren't meant to be singers.
The thing is, he isn't taking lessons. That's a crock. If he did take them he might actually slowly improve. When I started singing I wasn't very good. I thought I was at the time but I was wrong. With time and LESSONS, I learned how to sing in proper fashion and became a pretty good vocalist.

I just don't understand why Nicky posts these videos in this section of the board? His off key singing is not a Dream Theater topic.

Lastly. I'm not sure he will ever be a great singer but with proper guidance I do think he will improve. He will never know unless he stops lying and does it the right way.
I wonder what all the fans on his messageboard think of his latest video?  ::)
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi