Author Topic: 6:00 vocal cover  (Read 9172 times)

Offline NickySpanjaards

6:00 vocal cover
« on: July 18, 2011, 06:58:29 PM »
Hi all,

I wanted to let you know I'm back  ;)
In the past year I studied a lot about vocal techniques and trained hard and all those things as some of you recommended.
I think I sing better now (I even watched the old video's of last year...hell that's bad....how could I even have called it good??)
I gladly hear your opinion.  :smiley:
This is 6:00 vocal cover.

(p.s. in the end I made some little faults, because I had a little cold here)

https://www.vimeo.com/26554929

Online Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 6:00 vocal cover
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 07:02:17 PM »
Nicky!!!!!!!!  Haven't listened yet since I'm in class, but I'm sure it's going to be fantastic!   :metal

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 07:03:38 PM »
How does it feel to be Nicky?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 07:07:08 PM »
Damn. Has it really been a year?

It was sounding a bit better at first, but you're way off on the chorus and especially the "coming outside" part I'm sorry to say. I really think you need to find a new style. This operatic stuff is not for you.

Edit: The answer is no, it has not been a year. It's been 8-10 months, at best.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 07:10:57 PM »
Don't let these fools discourage you Nicky. Your cover sounded good, you've come a long way and it shows. Keep it up, and post some more!  :tup :tup

Offline Ħ

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 07:13:09 PM »
Like, there are parts that sound good, but there are parts that sound way off.  How about, instead of trying to cover the song start to finish, you break it up into chunks so you can perfect each part.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 07:16:40 PM »
Request: On The Backs Of Angels

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 07:21:18 PM »
You've...improved.

:D
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 07:36:29 PM »
ignore the haters, cuz.

that was awesome!
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
You've improved. You still have a lot of way to go.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 11:09:35 PM »
ignore the haters, cuz.

that was awesome!

I haven't heard it yet so I can't say anything, but the whole "don't listen to any criticism" is actually a very very very bad piece of advice. No one gets better if all they get is praise.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 11:17:29 PM »
I've been waiting for this day!  :)

You've gotten better I think.  You are still way off though :/  To me it sounds like you are having a hard time actually hearing the actual melody of the song more than you are having trouble producing the notes.

EDIT:  Just got to the end.  You basically have no upper range.  You need to take your time to expand your range using vocal exercises and finding out how to use your head voice.  You are trying to strain and squeeze high notes out of your throat instead of trying to support them with proper breath and technique.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 11:44:42 PM »
ignore the haters, cuz.

that was awesome!

I haven't heard it yet so I can't say anything, but the whole "don't listen to any criticism" is actually a very very very bad piece of advice. No one gets better if all they get is praise.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news for Nicky, but anyone telling him it sounds great just don't want the lolz to end.

Online Adami

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 12:16:31 AM »
Ok, listening to it now.

It's not bad so far, that is until the chorus kicks in.....then you're just terribly off, and your range can't handle what's supposed to be sung.
The "come outside" part was pretty brutal.
Yea, the whole "so many ways..." is pretty bad. It's your range, you don't have the upper register that DT requires. I remember hearing your Iced Earth covers, and you weren't bad on the lower range stuff. You may want to consider sticking to that, I know you love DT but that doesn't change your natural abilities.

Overall, pretty similar quality as last year....maybe a bit improved on the lower register stuff, but the upper range is still not there. I'd say focus on lower-mid range singing instead.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline i am fabio

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 12:41:43 AM »
keep it goin man! love the enthusiasm

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 12:44:36 AM »
Awesome dude, delivered again!

Online Adami

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 12:46:17 AM »

I know you're trying to be nice and all, but did you really listen to all of it and say to yourself "Wow that was an amazing perfomance"?

Because not criticizing him isn't helping.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline i am fabio

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 12:52:33 AM »

I know you're trying to be nice and all, but did you really listen to all of it and say to yourself "Wow that was an amazing perfomance"?

Why? hes having a fun time and trying to sing along. This isn't music class. Is he trying to become a professional?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 12:54:32 AM »
Well...

Online Adami

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 12:55:05 AM »
I guess you weren't here last year? We went through all of this with him.

I think this is more than "aww look at that guy have some fun singing DT". He considers himself a singer and came here asking advise, saying "As long as you're having fun....then it doesn't matter how good you are" is very bad advise.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline i am fabio

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 12:58:38 AM »
Oh i see. Gotcha must have some lack of knowledge on the incidents. Obviously it's not really good if its more then just fun. Not really qualified to give signing advice but...

1. Cant really get to the high notes at all Im not a singer but ure voice sounds forced and stressed.

2.Have u ever taken a lesson?

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 03:16:35 AM »
Thank you all for your opinions so far.

I know I'm way off in the chorus and the last part (especially the second time of the chorus)
But the upper register was hard to reach when I had the cold.

I have still a way to go...and my lower/mid registers are indeed my best registers.
But I want it to expand to the upper registers.
I think it's going very well (sadly I had the cold here) but soon I will record a new song so you can hear it in normal condition.

Your help last year really helped...I now hear most of the time when I'm off pitch. :tup

Request: On The Backs Of Angels

Yeah well, maybe that's the next song I cover  :smiley:

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 03:27:35 AM »
Well as others have said before me, your upper register suffers alot, but in the lower stuff you did a decent job. I think you should really continue practising and learning how to use your voice, you've already improved since the last covers, and 6:00 is not an easy song.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 04:42:01 AM »

When I watched it I thought "Wow, that was amazingly funny'.  Hence 'delivers'.  Only after I read the old thread I found out this was serious.  Sorry Nicky.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 09:50:25 AM »
Welcome back, Nicky.  Definitely better.  I totally love the energy you put into each performance.  It's great to watch.  My fav part of this one was around 3:50... "Coming outside!!!!!" 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 09:55:46 AM »
You're good (could be better) on the lower register, but you need some serious training on the higher register. :)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 10:15:28 AM »
I enjoyed some of it. You could use some practice when it comes to higher notes, though.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 02:47:46 PM »
The Bad Burrito is back!

On my phone right now, I will check it out later.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2011, 04:09:17 PM »
Very little in that video was on-pitch really. It's just more noticeable on the higher-pitched long notes, but the lower, half-spoken parts have a distinct melody too, and he barely ever hits those either. The issue isn't vocal range, the issue is hearing when one is off.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Adami

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2011, 04:39:41 PM »
Very little in that video was on-pitch really. It's just more noticeable on the higher-pitched long notes, but the lower, half-spoken parts have a distinct melody too, and he barely ever hits those either. The issue isn't vocal range, the issue is hearing when one is off.

rumborak

Well range isn't the only issue, but it's an issue.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2011, 05:36:28 PM »
Alright, here goes...
*Diction is still way over the top...
*You try to throw in some memorable JLB body expressions but it doesn't blend well with the problematic diction
*The notes are all over the place, especially on the high parts
*It sounds like you're struggling, even on the lower parts. I assume it's because you're trying to emulate JLB's raspy voice, but it's just...wrong.
*Can anyone confirm he's on the right octave? I can't figure it out, too many notes are off and the struggling tone is confusing.
*It kinda seems like it's painful for you to sing, like you're angry at this song, or like you just ate a bad burrito. Virtually, it's just rather amusing to mute this video and watch. No offense on this one though.
*Your website still looks like a weird take on jlb.com.
*Your biography still says something about a vocal rupture, a band that's been searching for a vocalist for over a year, and other weird takes on events from JLB's past.
*Your lyrics are heavily "influenced" by Home, Trial of Tears, Shores of Avalon, A Change of Seasons, The Best of Times etc.
By the way, huh?
For happyness, faith, trust and luck,
We gave each other an emberassing hug

So yeah, all in all, still pretty bad. And I'm quite surprised that your Twitter acc is not called "PirateCNS".
By the way, that thread made me think of you.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2011, 06:58:29 PM »
*You try to throw in some memorable JLB body expressions

Oh god, this. You got so much shit for this last time, Nicky, and it's so easy not to do it anymore, that I really have to wonder whether you've actually been training your vocals or just singing in the shower. If you haven't made improvements even in the most easily made ones, I've gotta wonder if you actually took any of the advice you were given last time.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2011, 07:09:16 PM »
ignore the haters, cuz.

that was awesome!

It's 2011. Constructive criticism is dead. It's all about trolling, belittling, and making people feel lower than shit.

And of course, then there's praise. No in between though. 

EVERYONE'S A WINNER!!!!!!!!!

OR A COMPLETE FUCKING LOSER WHO SHOULD DIE IN A FIRRRRRRRRRRE!!!

Yeah I know, I'm a Negative Nancy....

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2011, 07:15:01 PM »
Your videos always give me a good laugh!

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2011, 07:20:29 PM »
I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but, like... why would you record a song while you had a cold?    ???
Sincerely,
Jaffa