Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS*  (Read 296433 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Marvel's Movie Universe
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2011, 06:42:43 PM »
Just saw Cap, loved it.

I don't think I caught the Men in Black reference that others seem to. Care to enlighten me?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2011, 06:51:57 PM »
Not sure either, but I remember in MiB, Will Smith commented about an officer by saying "Captain America over here".

Online Adami

« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2011, 08:47:14 PM »
More thoughts.

I think Cap America should have been two movies, it seems like two bookends at this point. A great origins story, but then kind of jumps right into the end with Red Skull. I think the movie should have been his origins story with a more minor character than the red skull and have it end with him still in 1944 or whatever. Of course it should have been released right after the hulk and the movie released this year would be the sequel of him fighting the red skull and ending the way it does.

Loved The Avengers trailer at the end. I am seriously looking forward to that movie, my only gripe is the recasting of Bruce Banner. It almost make it feel like Ed Nortons movie is no longer a part of the universe due to the major recasting. I really wish Norton would have been on board.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2011, 09:25:37 PM »
Norton not being involved is his own fault. He's a control freak on set, and with a cast this huge, he's in no place to be doing script rewrites and making major structural changes as he sees fit. I'll never deny the man is a gifted actor. I'd go as far as to say he's at the top of the list and a personal favorite, but there's no denying how nutty he gets on set.

Cap has a few bits that tie into Thor, so you may be a little confused, but when you finally catch it, it will make more sense.

:(  Bummer.  I wish it was still running somewhere so I could see it first. 

We're talking 2 little parts, you won't be lost if you haven't seen Thor.  Odin is referenced at the very beginning, and something happens toward the end that ties in visually with Thor.

You're also forgetting the tesseract. Thor is am important film to watch for it sets up the magic and myth side of the Marvel films, which helps suspend some disbelief by the time you catch Captain America. I'd imagine some people might find the set up too hokey without having already had exposure to that sort of thing. But I can't judge what others will think.

Online Adami

« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2011, 09:28:33 PM »
I know it's Norton's fault, but I still wish he would be in the movie, if only for continuity sake.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2011, 09:38:10 PM »
Me too, but I'm also anxious to see what Ruffalo brings to the part.

Online Adami

« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2011, 09:39:14 PM »
Me too, but I'm also anxious to see what Ruffalo brings to the part.

Me too, to an extent.

But as I said, the recasting almost makes The Incredible Hulk a stand alone film. Since I doubt anyone else from the movie will be in it, it would be like re-casting batman and then saying it's the same guy from the nolan universe.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2011, 09:40:50 PM »
By the way, Bosk, Thor will be release on DVD in September so you won't have to wait much. Go ahead and catch Cap in theaters.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2011, 09:41:05 PM »
Well, not really. As we saw at the end, Ross and Stark have a conversation about the Avengers. And footage from the Hulk's destruction is seen in Iron Man 2. We'll have to wait and see what other references are made.

Online Adami

« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2011, 09:43:13 PM »
Well, not really. As we saw at the end, Ross and Stark have a conversation about the Avengers. And footage from the Hulk's destruction is seen in Iron Man 2. We'll have to wait and see what other references are made.

That's barely anything. I just can't stand major recasting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2011, 09:46:06 PM »

I agree. Even though I heard The Mummy 3 was terrible, I'm not even going to feed my curiosity just because Rachel Weisz isn't in it.

Online Adami

« Reply #116 on: July 25, 2011, 09:48:02 PM »
By the way, any hints on how long The Avengers is supposed to be?

I was thinking that if this movie is anything less than 2 and a half hours....then it might disappoint me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #117 on: July 25, 2011, 09:50:27 PM »

Cap has a few bits that tie into Thor, so you may be a little confused, but when you finally catch it, it will make more sense.

:(  Bummer.  I wish it was still running somewhere so I could see it first. 

We're talking 2 little parts, you won't be lost if you haven't seen Thor.  Odin is referenced at the very beginning, and something happens toward the end that ties in visually with Thor.

You're also forgetting the tesseract.

No, I'm not...Perhaps the general presence of it is more believable after Thor, but one of the points I was referencing was about the Tesseract itself.  One scene in particular.  Plus, the tesseract is only in the Thor after credits scene so it's not like a viewer is more enlightened to Captain America's plot, I think bosk will be just fine.

Just saw Cap, loved it.

I don't think I caught the Men in Black reference that others seem to. Care to enlighten me?

Tommy Lee Jones driving a car and pushing a magic red button to make it go faster.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #118 on: July 25, 2011, 09:52:25 PM »

I agree. Even though I heard The Mummy 3 was terrible, I'm not even going to feed my curiosity just because Rachel Weisz isn't in it.

But it was a good, entertaining film. Did anyone really get upset when Rhodes was recast for Iron Man 2? They did the same thing in both films. Make a joke out of the recasting and move on with it. Not allowing yourself to see a film due to such a thing seems dumb to me. Did you not see Batman Forever? Or any of the James Bond films?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #119 on: July 25, 2011, 10:31:35 PM »

But it was a good, entertaining film.
Mummy 3? Not at all.

About Bond, I never get upset when they recast him, because to me 007 is a code name and not one person. But that's a discussion for another thread.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #120 on: July 25, 2011, 11:19:12 PM »
And footage from the Hulk's destruction is seen in Iron Man 2. We'll have to wait and see what other references are made.

Wait--what?  Where was it?  I didn't catch that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #121 on: July 25, 2011, 11:20:09 PM »
And footage from the Hulk's destruction is seen in Iron Man 2. We'll have to wait and see what other references are made.

Wait--what?  Where was it?  I didn't catch that.

Yea I don't remember that either. But I've only see it once, and I just bought it so I'll watch it tomorrow and look for it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #122 on: July 25, 2011, 11:33:41 PM »

Mummy 3? Not at all.

About Bond, I never get upset when they recast him, because to me 007 is a code name and not one person. But that's a discussion for another thread.

That's a matter of opinion, but I found it far superior to Mummy Returns, which was mostly a rehash, and whatever wasn't was lame. I give credit to Mummy 3 for mixing it up but still retaining the fun, adventurous tone of the first two.

Wait--what?  Where was it?  I didn't catch that.

Yea I don't remember that either. But I've only see it once, and I just bought it so I'll watch it tomorrow and look for it.

During Stark and Fury's scene discussing the Avengers initiative towards the end, it's playing on the news in the background. It implies the events of Iron Man 2 and Incredible Hulk happen concurrently.

Online Adami

« Reply #123 on: July 25, 2011, 11:40:16 PM »
I'll keep an eye out for it this time.

Also, I really hope The Avengers show's some S.H.I.E.L.D. agents that aren't just guys in suits that can't actually do anything in the slightest.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: July 26, 2011, 05:03:18 AM »

Mummy 3? Not at all.

I could get behind this viewpoint if not for the pre-credits scene of For Your Eyes Only.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: July 26, 2011, 07:49:36 AM »

Mummy 3? Not at all.

I could get behind this viewpoint if not for the pre-credits scene of For Your Eyes Only.

And that the events of On Her Majesty's Secret Service carry over directly into the next film, despite changing from Lazenby back to Connery.

I'm just glad we don't have to sit through a new origin story everytime Bond is recast.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: July 26, 2011, 07:54:06 AM »
Oh yeah, that's a bit more of an obvious one. :lol

I could see it happening though, ZB.  They "rebooted" Bond after the lackluster Die Another Day, I could see them recasting and rebooting Bond again if the next Craig film flops.  Just seems that's what Hollywood wants to do in order to keep making money: rehash familiar stories and build off the nostalgic memories of intellectual properties.  Problem is only a few people, like Christopher Nolan and Batman or the Marvel movie universe, actually want to make something great with it and are okay with recasting major characters for the benefit of the movies without having to reboot anything.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #127 on: July 26, 2011, 09:51:22 AM »
I'll keep an eye out for it this time.

Also, I really hope The Avengers show's some S.H.I.E.L.D. agents that aren't just guys in suits that can't actually do anything in the slightest.

Well, it's all up to what Fury, Coulson, Scarlett and the girl from How I Met Your Mother can do.  And then there's Hawkeye.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #128 on: July 26, 2011, 10:13:42 AM »
By the way, any hints on how long The Avengers is supposed to be?

I was thinking that if this movie is anything less than 2 and a half hours....then it might disappoint me.
It has to be 2:30 at minimum!

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #129 on: July 26, 2011, 10:18:54 AM »

Mummy 3? Not at all.

And that the events of On Her Majesty's Secret Service carry over directly into the next film, despite changing from Lazenby back to Connery.

I'm just glad we don't have to sit through a new origin story everytime Bond is recast.

I completely missed this. That is the worst theory I've ever heard :lol

007's name is James Bond, regardless of who plays him. Same goes with Felix Leiter, his FBI friend, who has been played by just as many actors. There are threads in each film that tie back to his history, regardless of which actor is currently in the role. As was stated, Moore Bond visits the grave of Lazenby Bond's wife. Are they supposed to be different people?

Online Adami

« Reply #130 on: July 26, 2011, 12:49:14 PM »
Stop talking about 007!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #131 on: July 26, 2011, 05:32:33 PM »
Well when the rights revert to Marvel and we get MI6 vs. S.H.E.I.L.D. this will all have relevance ;D

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #132 on: July 26, 2011, 05:57:24 PM »
I just hope LOBO makes a special guest appearance in the end and destroys everything and everyone.

Online Adami

« Reply #133 on: July 27, 2011, 12:11:59 AM »
Also, spoilers I guess for anyone who hasn't seen Cap yet.

I payed a good amount of attention to the Stark convention. I heard there would be tons of stuff there, but all I saw was the Ant Man costume........who I really hope makes an appearance in The Avengers. But was there more?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2011, 12:27:05 AM »
Tommy Lee Jones driving a car and pushing a magic red button to make it go faster.
This.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online Adami

« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2011, 12:28:43 AM »
This.

I would hardly call that a reference.

Guys notice how Chris Evans played a human being who got powers? Must be a reference to F4.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2011, 12:31:35 AM »
This.

I would hardly call that a reference.

Guys notice how Chris Evans played a human being who got powers? Must be a reference to F4.
I see it from the other side. I would hardly say it's a coincidence, and I'm obviously not the only one who thinks so.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #137 on: July 28, 2011, 06:57:19 PM »
Also, spoilers I guess for anyone who hasn't seen Cap yet.

I payed a good amount of attention to the Stark convention. I heard there would be tons of stuff there, but all I saw was the Ant Man costume........who I really hope makes an appearance in The Avengers. But was there more?
Spoilers

Apparently, you didn't see Ant Man's costume, what you saw was the original Human Torch.

https://movies.ign.com/articles/118/1184798p1.html

Online Adami

« Reply #138 on: July 28, 2011, 10:07:17 PM »
I think the author was wrong, it would make more sense for it to be antman, as antman was part of the Avengers and well.........that suit looked more like antman than it did a guy on fire.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #139 on: July 28, 2011, 10:10:25 PM »
Well timeline wise it works, because the first heroes in the Marvel Universe were The Human Torch and Namor, followed by Cap, so it makes sense. Ant-Man was a later character from the 60's with the rest of the Avengers and the return of Cap.