Author Topic: U2 thread  (Read 50129 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: U2 thread - v. Free Music!!!
« Reply #350 on: June 06, 2017, 05:46:31 PM »
These old farts added some dates to the tour in September and St. Louis is one of them.

More money to spend... :lol :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #351 on: June 21, 2020, 09:52:10 AM »
U2 from the Orpheum in Boston, 1981
FM broadcast-Full show!

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=681850

WOW!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #352 on: September 03, 2021, 01:49:33 PM »
So.... I was ripping my Deluxe version of Achtung Baby - an album I like a lot - and I've been watching the "Zoo TV Special".  And it's... weird.   I like it - the music that is, and the idea - but the execution is really unsettling.    It's almost like watching a video game (which surely was the intent).  Plus the "reporters", especially the 'field' guy make it very creepy in a very real way.

What does everyone make, 30 years later, of the irony of that stage presentation?    I never fully bought into "The Fly" as a purely separate persona for Bono; I also never really got into the real earnestness of Rattle And Hum, either, so the notion of "chopping down the Joshua Tree" was lost on me a bit.  To me, it was a shade convenient, but even now, I'm not entirely sure.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #353 on: September 03, 2021, 01:57:06 PM »
U2 from the Orpheum in Boston, 1981
FM broadcast-Full show!

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=681850

WOW!

I wonder if this is from the WBCN simulcast?

Stads, it certainly was a weird time for them live. I'm glad they pulled back the "glitter" a bit.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #354 on: September 03, 2021, 07:14:53 PM »
So.... I was ripping my Deluxe version of Achtung Baby - an album I like a lot - and I've been watching the "Zoo TV Special".  And it's... weird.   I like it - the music that is, and the idea - but the execution is really unsettling.    It's almost like watching a video game (which surely was the intent).  Plus the "reporters", especially the 'field' guy make it very creepy in a very real way.

What does everyone make, 30 years later, of the irony of that stage presentation?    I never fully bought into "The Fly" as a purely separate persona for Bono; I also never really got into the real earnestness of Rattle And Hum, either, so the notion of "chopping down the Joshua Tree" was lost on me a bit.  To me, it was a shade convenient, but even now, I'm not entirely sure.

U2 has always struck me as more of an arena band than a stadium band, but I do love that Zoo TV live DVD from Sydney.  Bono had enough charisma and on-stage arrogance to pull off the alter-egos he played, so I think it mostly worked well.  Some rock stars over the years just had/have that magnetic personality where you just can't take your eyes off of them when they are performing, and Bono for the longest time was one of those guys.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: September 03, 2021, 07:55:05 PM »
I sW them in their raw state live twice so it's hard for me to see the glam.  I loved that they showed their guts early on live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: September 04, 2021, 03:11:48 AM »
I've never seen U2 live :( but I WISH i'd seen Popmart. Bono's voice wasn't great at that time but it was such an awesome spectacle.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: September 04, 2021, 07:12:34 AM »
I don't understand people dissing Songs of Innocence / Experience for "sounding like U2".

They're always at their best when they stop trying to be all experimental and different.

When they try too hard to be different we get No Line On The Horizon which was a turkey.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: September 24, 2021, 08:33:20 AM »
So I just (in the last day or so) watched Live At Red Rocks, and now I'm working through the video portion of The Unforgettable Fire deluxe version (it's got the Conspiracy of Hope show from '86 and Live Aid from '85 on it).   

It's so fascinating to go back 20, 30, 40 years and watch artists - especially artists that are still creating - knowing what we know now. 

Bono is obviously the focal point of the band, and it's interesting to see the evolution of his performances.   He was a better singer then, no doubt, but, IMO, a much better front man today.  So much of what he did then was just charisma and youth and energy, a young man trying desperately to find a voice that fits him (and his band) compared to later, when he HAD the voice, and was trying desperately for it to say something new and important.   

It's also fascinating to see how BANDS evolve and change, and how so many bands change in so many different ways.  U2 at Red Rocks, the music is almost (not quite, but almost) incidental to the experience, the environment (the rain, the sparse crowd, the cold) and the energy that the band put forth to connect with that crowd.   U2 at Live Aid, the music is almost (moreso) incidental to the experience, the community that was formed, not one of exclusion but inclusion, and the way Bono bridged that gap between band and audience (essentially the message of the entire event).    Then you have Zoo TV, where the music is almost (less so) incidental to the experience, which is almost the opposite; it's colder, it's more reserved (with the personas taking over for the band members themselves), it's more exclusionary (you're either in on the joke or you're not).

Oh, and the "Patrick Swayze jump into the audience" move in the Pride video never gets old (though Swayze stole it from Bono, not the other way around).

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #359 on: September 24, 2021, 03:04:59 PM »
I've never seen U2 live :( but I WISH i'd seen Popmart. Bono's voice wasn't great at that time but it was such an awesome spectacle.
Only got to see them once, but it was on the Popmart tour and it was amazing. To this day, I don't think I've seen a show that has impressed me more visually than that show. Doesn't hurt that I'm also a fan of most of the Pop album.

When they try too hard to be different we get No Line On The Horizon which was a turkey.
Gotta beg to differ on that - while far from perfect, there's a lot more on NLotH that I like than most of U2's post-Pop output, altho Get Your Boots On and Stand Up Comedy are garbage.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: September 24, 2021, 03:19:18 PM »
Popmart was insane. I saw that in Miami (contest winner!).  I wish I was into the music of that era at that time (I later warmed to Achtung Baby a lot but at that point I wasn't into the post-Joshua Tree material yet).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #361 on: September 24, 2021, 03:39:46 PM »
I like both Pop and No Line on the Horizon quite a bit.

Pop is like a beautiful mess.  You can tell it needed more work, but as it is, it somehow mostly works.

I agree with Scotty that Get On Your Boots and Stand Up Comedy are garbage, but everything else there is at least good, and there are few great ones.  The production/mix lets it down a lot, as it is too suffocating at times, but the songs were there.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #362 on: September 24, 2021, 03:53:02 PM »
I like both Pop and No Line on the Horizon quite a bit.

Pop is like a beautiful mess.  You can tell it needed more work, but as it is, it somehow mostly works.

I agree with Scotty that Get On Your Boots and Stand Up Comedy are garbage, but everything else there is at least good, and there are few great ones.  The production/mix lets it down a lot, as it is too suffocating at times, but the songs were there.
Agreed with all of this. I cannot get behind the Innocence/Experience albums though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #363 on: September 24, 2021, 06:41:28 PM »
  I cannot get behind the Innocence/Experience albums though.

I can. There are a few misfires on both, but I dig a lot of songs from both, and I really like the vibe throughout most of Songs of Experience.  If that ends up being their last studio album, they went out with a mostly good one, IMO.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: September 25, 2021, 04:30:23 AM »
I also LOVE the last 2 albums and if they end up being their swan song it will be better than ending on the dud that was No Songs On The Horizon.

U2 music is not that hard to play live - but Adam, Bono and The Edge are all 60 now with Larry catching up this year, so I don't know how much longer they will keep going.

Also U2 the band are 45 this year. I imagine they'll want to stick around at least for their 50th anniversary and do some MASSIVE shows.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #365 on: September 25, 2021, 02:55:22 PM »
I've never seen them live either, but I'm also a realist in that I'm not interested in spending hundreds of dollars to see them.

If I won free tickets though..

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #366 on: September 25, 2021, 04:28:13 PM »
I like em. The Joshua Tree is one of the best albums ever made, imo. Saw them on its whatever anniversary a few years back and they were pretty great.

They are a classic but really patchy band for me. I liked the All That You Can't/How To Dismantle/No Line run of albums but I kind of doubt they'll do much to interest me again at this point.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #367 on: September 25, 2021, 10:22:36 PM »
I've never seen them live either, but I'm also a realist in that I'm not interested in spending hundreds of dollars to see them.

If I won free tickets though..

I saw them for like $40 back in 2018.  The key is to wait till the day of the concert to buy a ticket.  You can always get one fairly cheap using that method.

Online HOF

« Reply #368 on: October 23, 2021, 07:17:31 PM »
Listened to The Unforgettable Fire earlier tonight. I’ve at times called this my favorite U2 album and I think it still may be. A little more adventurous musically than Joshua Tree, but similar vibe and still has a bunch of essential U2 songs like Pride and Bad. A Sort of Homecoming is a definite favorite. The album is a little more aggressive guitar wise than Joshua Tree, I like the use of keyboards in places. I don’t think this one gets enough love. It’s up there with Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby at least.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: October 23, 2021, 07:30:13 PM »
HOF, saw the tour.   2 days later Triumph,  Thunder Seven tour.  What a weekend.

Offline DTA

« Reply #370 on: October 23, 2021, 07:32:49 PM »
Listened to The Unforgettable Fire earlier tonight. I’ve at times called this my favorite U2 album and I think it still may be. A little more adventurous musically than Joshua Tree, but similar vibe and still has a bunch of essential U2 songs like Pride and Bad. A Sort of Homecoming is a definite favorite. The album is a little more aggressive guitar wise than Joshua Tree, I like the use of keyboards in places. I don’t think this one gets enough love. It’s up there with Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby at least.

I've always had an affinity for the underdogs Wire and Indian Summer Sky from that album. I love how absolutely frantic they are and I can't recall them really going that nuts on any songs after that. Also, the b-side Love Comes Tumbling from this era is probably a top 10 favorite of mine and absolutely nobody knows the damn thing. I wouldn't say this is my favorite of theirs (that'd be Pop) but most likely my favorite of their 80's output.

Online HOF

« Reply #371 on: October 23, 2021, 08:47:09 PM »
HOF, saw the tour.   2 days later Triumph,  Thunder Seven tour.  What a weekend.

:tup  :metal

I've always had an affinity for the underdogs Wire and Indian Summer Sky from that album. I love how absolutely frantic they are and I can't recall them really going that nuts on any songs after that. Also, the b-side Love Comes Tumbling from this era is probably a top 10 favorite of mine and absolutely nobody knows the damn thing. I wouldn't say this is my favorite of theirs (that'd be Pop) but most likely my favorite of their 80's output.

I think the Wire is really great. I always thought Indian Summer Sky sounded too much like the same song just with a slightly different melody. If it weren’t on the same album it probably wouldn’t bother me but I always notice it. I’ll have to find Love Comes Tumbling. Don’t think I’ve heard that one.

Online HOF

« Reply #372 on: October 23, 2021, 09:30:14 PM »
Elvis Presley and America is another one that I really like.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: October 24, 2021, 04:05:31 AM »
The funny thing is - I love The Edge as a guitar player - he has a completely unique style. And yes he can actually play.

BUT as a guitar player myself - jamming to U2 songs is so boring. Unless you've got his sound there's almost no point.

Which is why it's way more fun to just put on my Telecaster and play some fast power chords to Green Day ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #374 on: October 24, 2021, 05:46:38 AM »

I think the Wire is really great. I always thought Indian Summer Sky sounded too much like the same song just with a slightly different melody. If it weren’t on the same album it probably wouldn’t bother me but I always notice it. I’ll have to find Love Comes Tumbling. Don’t think I’ve heard that one.

Wire is incredible.  Such a fun song to just crank and rock out like there's no tomorrow.  :metal :metal

Offline DTA

« Reply #375 on: October 24, 2021, 06:10:28 AM »

:tup  :metal

Yeah I can see how they sound similar. If they were back to back on the tracklisting it'd probably bother me, but they're a few tracks apart so I guess it never really jumped out. Love Comes Tumbling is pretty chill, but the atmosphere and vibe is just incredible. Disappearing Act is another great obscure b-side that was only unearthed when they did the most recent remaster. I guess they never finished vocals back then since the vocals are present-day Bono but it's worth hearing. This whole era spawned some really incredible atmospheric songs which is amazing considering how stark and raw War was just a year earlier.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #376 on: October 24, 2021, 07:00:58 AM »

Yeah I can see how they sound similar. If they were back to back on the tracklisting it'd probably bother me, but they're a few tracks apart so I guess it never really jumped out. Love Comes Tumbling is pretty chill, but the atmosphere and vibe is just incredible. Disappearing Act is another great obscure b-side that was only unearthed when they did the most recent remaster. I guess they never finished vocals back then since the vocals are present-day Bono but it's worth hearing. This whole era spawned some really incredible atmospheric songs which is amazing considering how stark and raw War was just a year earlier.

Hell yeah!  I love Disappearing Act. That would have been one of my favorites had it made the proper album, as I prefer it over everything not named Bad after the title track.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: October 24, 2021, 08:38:10 AM »
I've been on a U2 kick lately, and it's amazing how well their early catalogue has held up.   I've been ripping "Go Home", the 2005 (or so) live show from Slane Castle - essential listening by the way - and even with their latter day ethos and Bono's sort of slightly diminished vocal power, those early songs STILL are the heart of the set. 

TUF is not my favorite of their - though Bad is still a powerhouse live - it's a great and necessary album.  We would never have gotten The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby (my two favorites) without it.   Jsut don't watch the "Making of" documentaries (there are two, though a lot of the material overlaps).   Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois are such pretentious prats, at times.

Online HOF

« Reply #378 on: October 24, 2021, 09:06:28 AM »
I've been on a U2 kick lately, and it's amazing how well their early catalogue has held up.   I've been ripping "Go Home", the 2005 (or so) live show from Slane Castle - essential listening by the way - and even with their latter day ethos and Bono's sort of slightly diminished vocal power, those early songs STILL are the heart of the set. 

TUF is not my favorite of their - though Bad is still a powerhouse live - it's a great and necessary album.  We would never have gotten The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby (my two favorites) without it.   Jsut don't watch the "Making of" documentaries (there are two, though a lot of the material overlaps).   Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois are such pretentious prats, at times.

That Slane Castle concert was awesome. I was only a tangential U2 fan having grown up hearing the hits but not much else before my friend showed me that concert film. Definitely made me want to get into the band more.

Offline DTA

« Reply #379 on: October 24, 2021, 09:09:30 AM »

Hell yeah!  I love Disappearing Act. That would have been one of my favorites had it made the proper album, as I prefer it over everything not named Bad after the title track.

Yeah, it's awesome. I'm dying to know what the hell were thinking when this was abandoned back then. Maybe they felt it was too safe?

I enjoyed the TUF Making Of though I haven't watched it in a very long time so I don't remember Eno/Lanois's behavior. Maybe I'll rewatch it on youtube today.

That Slane Castle concert is essential. I'm not the biggest fan of ATYCLB (Elevation is possibly the dumbest song I've ever heard) but songs like Walk On, Kite, and Stuck In A Moment are classics. I saw Edge and Bono do an acoustic Stuck In A Moment on a talk show and that's when that song really came to life for me. They released another live show from the Elevation tour which is worth seeing. It had In A Little While on it, which is probably my overall favorite song from that album plus some other different songs. The early songs are usually the highlights, but there's honestly only so many times I can hear Pride, I Still Haven't Found, I Will Follow, Bullet The Blue Sky, Sunday Bloody Sunday, etc. Streets could be in every live show for the rest of time and I'd enjoy it, but the other ones are a bit tired imo.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #380 on: October 24, 2021, 09:30:26 AM »

Yeah, it's awesome. I'm dying to know what the hell were thinking when this was abandoned back then. Maybe they felt it was too safe?

Hard to say.  It is hard to envision where it fits in the running order, so maybe they viewed as not an essential track to the album when viewing it as a whole. That was obviously back before they became a bit too worried about hits, so I could see that having been the reason.

That Slane Castle concert is essential. I'm not the biggest fan of ATYCLB (Elevation is possibly the dumbest song I've ever heard) but songs like Walk On, Kite, and Stuck In A Moment are classics. I saw Edge and Bono do an acoustic Stuck In A Moment on a talk show and that's when that song really came to life for me. They released another live show from the Elevation tour which is worth seeing. It had In A Little While on it, which is probably my overall favorite song from that album plus some other different songs. The early songs are usually the highlights, but there's honestly only so many times I can hear Pride, I Still Haven't Found, I Will Follow, Bullet The Blue Sky, Sunday Bloody Sunday, etc. Streets could be in every live show for the rest of time and I'd enjoy it, but the other ones are a bit tired imo.

As much as I like newer U2, most of ATYCLB is a miss for me now.  The sound of the album is just so bland and lifeless.  I still love Kite (their best song, IMO, since Pop), and I dig a few others, but the majority of the album I am fine with never hearing again. Elevation is kind of a dopey song, but it's fun live; I will at least give it that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: October 24, 2021, 10:06:29 AM »
I loved All That You Can't Leave Behind - when it first came out as it sounded more like "classic" U2.

...Atomic Bomb I found harder to enjoy despite sounding better. It didn't help that it soundtracked a really awful time.

From Atomic Bomb I loved the first 6 songs and Fast Cars but thought everything else was crap - especially One Step Closer.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: October 25, 2021, 07:39:02 AM »
The thing about Slane is that it's so raw, emotionally.   You can see they are comfortable, there isn't that air of seriousness that Bono in particular (but Edge and LM, Jr. are there too) give off live, and they are having fun.  There's a lot of chatter on line about what Bono meant when he turned and smiled at Larry during "With Or Without You" (missed cue, whatever) but it's irrelevant; it's a Duchenne smile for sure, and it's infectious.  Oddly the only songs that DON'T resonate for me are the Achtung/Pop songs, I think because they aren't as naked as the rest of the catelogue.   I always thought "Stuck..." was about Michael Hutchence, but Bono introduces it as a song for his dad, and it's really powerful that way (and resonates in my life). 

I think it's really something that they turned what is essentially a stadium show into something that feels like an intimate hometown club gig.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #383 on: October 25, 2021, 07:02:14 PM »
I've seen clips of the Slane concert, and it always looks really good, but I have never bought it. I guess I figure I have all I need as far as U2 goes in regards to concerts/DVDs since I have the Rattle and Hum film and then live DVDs from the Zoo TV, PopMart and 360 tours. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: October 26, 2021, 05:04:22 AM »
My fave U2 live DVD is easily Popmart. Bono's voice isn't the best on it but it's such a spectacle and I wish i'd ben to see that show.

I've got the innocence + experience live DVD but something about it just doesn't click. It doesn't have the same euphoria of other U2 DVDs

Elevation is also really good. An amazing version of The Fly on it.

Maybe I should get Slane Castle ( if I find it dirt cheap on Amazon ).

...Edit : Just found it on Amazon for £1.80 so i'll buy it soon :)