Author Topic: Netflix Announces New Pricing, DVD & Streaming Face 60% Increase  (Read 16429 times)

Offline tjanuranus

Re: Netflix Announces New Pricing, DVD & Streaming Face 60% Increase
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2011, 01:15:52 PM »
the problem is it doesn't seem like the added costst are going to new programming on the streaming service which is what everyone wants. Charge triple for the streaming if you have to. Just make it similar to the dvd selection!

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2011, 01:58:23 PM »
the problem is it doesn't seem like the added costst are going to new programming on the streaming service which is what everyone wants. Charge triple for the streaming if you have to. Just make it similar to the dvd selection!
I can't back it up, but I'm pretty sure Netflix doesn't have total control over their streaming selection. A lot of their streaming movies are also movies that happen to be on OnDemand, so there's probably money/licensing/rights issues they have to deal with.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2011, 02:45:29 PM »
Exactly, which is what makes this whole argument about Netflix so stupid.  They would probably love suggestions people offer for them, but they cannot do them.  They can't simply triple, or quadruple, their costs and have a full dvd selection unless the people that own the movies allow them to.  Even if they did it could, a stunt like that would chase many of their customers away.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2011, 03:24:48 PM »
For one thing, the cost of licensing what they already have to stream is increasing, and with all of the consolidation that's happening in the industry, that probably won't be improving.  Forget growth, they need cash to maintain the status quo.  Also,  the transition to all streaming is happening a lot slower than they wanted.  They expected people to stop asking for disks in the mail,  and it didn't happen (for obvious reasons).  Mailing DVDs is expensive.  Streaming them costs next to nothing.  A big part of the reason for this change is to make people choose one plan or the other, preferable for them the streaming plan.

More important, we're talking about their current business model with a future that nobody can predict.  Who the hell knows who people will be paying for their movies in 2 years time.  Netflix has done a fantastic job of spreading their brand to a variety of STB's.  Crawling into bed with M$ worked wonders for them.  But honestly,  the next big thing might completely wipe them out.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2011, 03:30:26 PM »
Wait...if Netflix would actually prefer to be all-streaming, who the hell is going to protest that? Why is it taking so long to switch over? I'd be happier than a pig in shit if everything was available to stream. What customers would actually prefer to go through the hassle of DVD by mail, as opposed to instant internet access? That makes no damn sense.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2011, 03:40:41 PM »
The people that own the rights to movies want to get as much revenue as possible from them.  Holding back on streaming helps them with physical sales as well as possibly put larger premiums on what they are allowing to be streamed.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2011, 03:42:10 PM »
No, I get that. I thought Barto was implying that customer trends indicated they preferred the DVD-by-mail option. I can totally see from a business standpoint why that option is more attractive.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2011, 03:50:53 PM »
If you don't have a good internet access or have a capped internet service streaming in HD can be a problem.  My wife and I were using free apartment wide wireless to save money for awhile, streaming wasn't an option then.  My parents still use dialup simply because high speed access where they live, a farming community, is very expensive.  I don't know, I'm not sure what percentage of the market is really ready for streaming instead of mail, yet.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2011, 03:52:28 PM »
Gotcha. That makes sense. Sometimes, I forget that not everyone has high speed internet.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2011, 04:20:42 PM »
Wait...if Netflix would actually prefer to be all-streaming, who the hell is going to protest that? Why is it taking so long to switch over? I'd be happier than a pig in shit if everything was available to stream. What customers would actually prefer to go through the hassle of DVD by mail, as opposed to instant internet access? That makes no damn sense.
Aside from the examples Yorost gave,  (and I've got friends that are capped at 200mb/month because of where they live, just to add another example),  the studios still dictate what can/can't be streamed.  Nobody's going to cancel their 3 at a time plan when it's got 10 times the number of titles available.  Netflix originally started giving the streaming away for free on the assumption that pretty soon that would be all their business.  They were very wrong in that regard. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2011, 09:55:53 PM »
Just about September 1st... anyone changing thier plan? 

I wanted to remove my streaming and keep my dvds, but it seems netflix has got me by the balls... Ive been watching Battlestar Galactica through streaming and I am on the beginning of season 4 and it seems that the first half of season 4 is streaming only and not on dvd, but the second half of season 4 is on dvd meaning I need to keep my streaming to watch another 5 episodes or so.  I wanted to watch all of season 4 before the 1st, but due to some issues that happened with my gfs family Ive had to spend a couple weekends in Pittsburgh this month.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2011, 11:04:42 PM »

I wanted to remove my streaming and keep my dvds, but it seems netflix has got me by the balls... Ive been watching Battlestar Galactica through streaming and I am on the beginning of season 4 and it seems that the first half of season 4 is streaming only and not on dvd, but the second half of season 4 is on dvd meaning I need to keep my streaming to watch another 5 episodes or so.  I wanted to watch all of season 4 before the 1st, but due to some issues that happened with my gfs family Ive had to spend a couple weekends in Pittsburgh this month.

I watch tons of movies/tv shows on instant streaming and get the newer stuff on DVD, so I'll be keeping my unlimited streaming plus 1 dvd a month plan. It's all still cheaper than cable, or constant trips to block buster.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2011, 11:40:16 PM »

I watch tons of movies/tv shows on instant streaming and get the newer stuff on DVD, so I'll be keeping my unlimited streaming plus 1 dvd a month plan. It's all still cheaper than cable, or constant trips to block buster.
Same here.

A few people I work with have cancelled/are cancelling their Netflix because of the increase, but I'm keeping mine. It's still a great deal. I stream TV and movies quite a bit and what I can't stream, I get as DVD's in the mail.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2011, 07:25:56 AM »
I cancelled mine last month, but we still have my bf's.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2011, 07:55:18 AM »
We canceled our plan.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2011, 08:15:41 AM »
Keeping both....I watch alot of newer releases on blu-ray/dvd...my kids watch the streaming constantly

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2011, 09:39:12 AM »
I thought about switching over to streaming-only, but I decided to keep the 1-at-a-time thing for another month. I think I'll just end up keeping it, because I'm not all that satisfied with what's available to stream, yet.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2011, 02:23:14 PM »
We canceled both Netflix and Gamefly and got Blockbuster. Saves me like ten bucks (with the two disc plan), and I get games and movies  :metal (although legitimately Gamefly is better if you just want games).
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2011, 07:48:18 PM »
If netflix doesn't start getting these deals done... they may be finished in a few years because there is a lot of competition brewing at the moment.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2011, 08:47:12 PM »
https://www.engadget.com/2011/09/01/starz-ends-renewal-negotiations-with-netflix-will-pull-movies-f/

What a BS argument from Starz.  The premium nature of their brand is of no value, because people don't want to pay for anything to begin with.  Being a brand that's defined by being more expensive is market poison.  Before this, I thought Starz was cool because they were embracing the trends of the industry.  That's more valuable than being able to call themselves a premium brand.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #91 on: September 01, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
I was about to mention that. I have never thought of Starz in any capacity other than "Oh yeah this still exists?"

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2011, 09:37:35 AM »
MSN suggests you re-evaluate if  Netflix is worth it once Starz pulls the plug

https://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/09/01/7561166-is-your-netflix-queue-in-trouble?gt1=43001

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2011, 10:25:49 AM »
People are overreacting to Starz leaving the table.  It's not like Netflix had a comprehensive library to begin with, they can spend that money on other streaming deals.  Starz isn't so great that they can't replace it with comparable material.  If anything, if you've streamed most of what you wanted from Starz this is probably good since you will get different material.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: September 02, 2011, 10:58:05 PM »
Starz had Spartacus which I streamed over Netflix and was awesome, I think Netflix is losing ground pretty fast.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #95 on: September 02, 2011, 11:02:51 PM »
Starz had Spartacus which I streamed over Netflix and was awesome, I think Netflix is losing ground pretty fast.

I don't think Netflix is losing ground, the Starz deal thing is being a bit overblown.  But they're stagnating.  They're trying to get rid of the DVD business too fast, and the streaming isn't going as fast as they like.

I've seen both Netflix and AMC make this mistake.  When you want to do something, and the rest of the world isn't behind you, it's not going to happen.  Netflix wants to be the streaming video company, but the industry that makes the videos they want to stream isn't ready for it yet.  AMC wanted to produce TV their way, and created an absolute shitstorm of bad will around them through pure incompetence.
Over and over again

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: September 02, 2011, 11:35:24 PM »

I don't think Netflix is losing ground, the Starz deal thing is being a bit overblown.  But they're stagnating.  They're trying to get rid of the DVD business too fast, and the streaming isn't going as fast as they like.

I've seen both Netflix and AMC make this mistake.  When you want to do something, and the rest of the world isn't behind you, it's not going to happen.  Netflix wants to be the streaming video company, but the industry that makes the videos they want to stream isn't ready for it yet.  AMC wanted to produce TV their way, and created an absolute shitstorm of bad will around them through pure incompetence.

I agree with everything you say except the part where netflix isnt losing ground.  With everything you say, plus the fact that many other competitors are now involved in streaming services plus the netflix price jump, I am not sure how you can say netflix isnt losing ground.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #97 on: September 02, 2011, 11:36:57 PM »

I agree with everything you say except the part where netflix isnt losing ground.  With everything you say, plus the fact that many other competitors are now involved in streaming services plus the netflix price jump, I am not sure how you can say netflix isnt losing ground.

Except for higher level computer users, no one cares about Netflix's competitors yet.  Among most people, Netflix is it.

I agree with you there's danger.  If Netflix doesn't take its competition seriously, they will get beaten.
Over and over again

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: September 02, 2011, 11:46:24 PM »

Except for higher level computer users, no one cares about Netflix's competitors yet.  Among most people, Netflix is it.

I agree with you there's danger.  If Netflix doesn't take its competition seriously, they will get beaten.

I guess the "yet" part is where we disagree.  While I personally don't know anyone who subscribes to any streaming service other than netflix, from reading this thread it seems that some people have bought into Netflix's competitors... hulu+, blockbuster, redbox (to some extent you can say they are a competitor).  At the end of the day, I am pretty much agreeing with all your points and whether or not netflix is losing customers now or not, they need to start being serious about streaming or about keeping the prices low to keep customers. 

I personally really enjoy the streaming service except for the selection.  I love how I can stream from my PC, my ipod touch, my xbox, and my blu ray player, but I find I rarely use it (except for battlestart galactica) for me to keep paying for the service.  I feel like netflix has come this far that screwing up with the customers can cause some serious long term issues for them.  I still love the DVD service though, I should be getting Iron Maiden Visions of the Beast tomorrow.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2011, 05:00:53 PM »
I had one at a time with streaming. I decided to ditch both of them. Just canceled for a few reasons. Been with Netflix since 2007.
Perhaps at some point I'll rejoin, but I'm out for now.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2011, 10:00:43 AM »
:lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2011, 10:06:20 AM »
Yea I got the email saying it was dropped an hour or so ago.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2011, 10:23:53 AM »
I wonder how many customers the original announcement cost them.  Maybe it was just a response to people complaining, but seems  likely they would only kill the idea as a way to plug a drain of customers.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2011, 04:47:05 PM »
My god this has to be the worst run company over the past year, well them HP and BOA are probably the top 3.