Author Topic: Netflix Announces New Pricing, DVD & Streaming Face 60% Increase  (Read 16430 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Re: Netflix Announces New Pricing, DVD & Streaming Face 60% Increase
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2011, 08:13:32 PM »
Streaming has almost rendered DVDs obsolete for me.

I currently have DVDs delivered, but I'll just cancel that. I'll end up paying less per month as a result.
Very limited selection. Too bad the streaming movies are not the new releases. That's what I want. Not most of the worthless titles you can stream. If they make it so you can stream all the movies then it would be well worth the 16 bucks.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2011, 08:14:55 PM »
Worthless? I've found movies streaming that I wouldn't even be able to buy easily in stores.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2011, 08:15:08 PM »
this would be cool if the movies they had for streaming were not so

uh

"b"

and i think it's funny how they're telling you that charging $15 instead of $10 is "lowering prices"

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2011, 10:00:22 PM »
My boyfriend (who lives with me) and I both have separate accounts. This just solidified us combining into one account and most likely getting rid of the DVD option.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2011, 10:55:27 PM »

uh

"b"

and i think it's funny how they're telling you that charging $15 instead of $10 is "lowering prices"

You say that like b-movies are bad.

See also: I love Bruce Campbell.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2011, 10:57:31 PM »
There's lots of awesome movies to be streamed, but more so than that.....there's lots of awesome TV shows. I watched the entire 11 seasons of cheers thanks to netflix streaming.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2011, 10:59:10 PM »
Were it not for Netflix, it would be so much harder for me to get into Doctor Who.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2011, 12:37:20 AM »
Well I currently stream and get one DVD/blu-ray at a time... Looks like I need to finish up streaming battlestar galactica as that's pretty much the only thing I stream. I can live with one disc at a time and have a better choice.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2011, 02:15:59 AM »
It's not my money but i've been thinking about this lately. Since apple is a big time media service with itunes and the apple Tv and they have almost 80 BILLION in cash and netflix seems to have a hard time paying the big movie companies Apple should just buy netflix and incorporate the streaming. They have relationships with all the major companies and they have the money to make the deals. That would be so SICK. With the combination of the itunes store and a streaming service that had deals with Major movie companies it would be kick ass.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2011, 03:21:29 AM »
tj

I had feeling you were gonna say someting like that :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2011, 03:27:25 AM »
tj

I had feeling you were gonna say someting like that :lol

i mean you could say it about a lot of companies but i think this makes a lot of sense.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2011, 03:37:39 AM »
If Apple bought Netflix I'd cancel my account faster than Steve Jobs could lose ten pounds.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2011, 03:45:40 AM »
so if they bought it and greatly improved the service you would cancel... that makes NO sense.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2011, 03:53:54 AM »
so if they bought it and greatly improved the service you would cancel... that makes NO sense.
For starters, I doubt they would "improve" the service. They'd throw in a few thousand more titles and charge me 99 cents every time I wanted to watch one.

I added a gift card to my iTunes account a while back. Apparently, my (and an estimated 50,000 others) account was hacked. Some tool decided to use my money to buy a bunch of worthless apps nobody had ever heard of. I immediately reported the problem to Apple (along with thousands of others) and I was told the same thing as everyone else: that I was SOL and should just change my password.

If they have "80 billion in cash" they could easily have credited my account and won me over. But no. Those penny-pinching bastards employed a shoddy security system and it ended up costing ME money.

Haven't used a single Apple product since.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2011, 04:00:45 AM »
well I can't speak on that because that never happened to me. I'm sorry it happened to you, it seems odd they wouldn't do anything to help you out. I had a computer i was having some issues with and they gave me a brand new one which was a model two years newer than the one i had. A 2000 dollar laptop, so that was a good story. But hey everyone has different experiences and i don't blame you for not wanting to deal with them.

On another note do you really think they would acquire netflix to charge 99 cents per rental? They already have a HUGE rental service with tons of movies. But imagine being able to bring all the major movie companies on board to stream instantly for a monthly fee, with new releases and everything. They have the power and money to do it.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2011, 04:11:49 AM »
I'm going to post in the Apple thread so this one can stay on Netflix discussion.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2011, 05:21:07 AM »
Worthless? I've found movies streaming that I wouldn't even be able to buy easily in stores.
Yeah, because who would buy the movies they give you to stream? Not many.

Its a pretty certain thing that Netflix will be all streaming within the next few years. Its obvious with that technology they won't be mailing movies forever.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2011, 05:34:39 AM »
Well...I will post this, as I personally believe Netflix is the beginning and the end of the internet.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/tech-news/bce-put-on-hot-seat-at-hearing-on-web-pricing/article2093320/

In Canada anyhow.
There are only about 36 million of us, but we're currently IN the curve (you can argue wether we're ahead or behind the curve) but essentially Netflix is causing people to go massively over the caps in their internet plans, if they go with small independent ISP's they don't get torched too bad...if they're with one of the big companies they DO get torched. Of course Netflix leaves out the tiny details that streaming a 700K movie or a 8 gig blueray version is going to ass rape your monthly usage levels. For example:I'm with a small ISP that whole sales off Bell's equipment. My plan is grandfathered too so no data cap. I appreciate that, as it allows me to download 112 gig worth of Pokemon cartoons in 4 days...when in fact my plan has a 40 gig/month cap.

You american's enjoy pretty much "free" internet by comparison. I wonder if we'll ever get to where you are or if it will be vice versa and you end up like Canada. Im guessing the latter, if Verizon's canceling of the "unlimited plans" on their iPhones is any indication. Bandwidth costs. ALOT. the article I posted shows that data transfer charges are coming down, and I can't say that I agree.

On topic. I don't have Netflix. Never have. I usually download my stuff from other sources. However my son HAD to watch a James Bond movie last night, so we went to blockbuster to rent it. Die Another Day/4.99$ for a week. Eeek.....
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2011, 05:42:23 AM »
It's not my money but i've been thinking about this lately. Since apple is a big time media service with itunes and the apple Tv and they have almost 80 BILLION in cash and netflix seems to have a hard time paying the big movie companies Apple should just buy netflix and incorporate the streaming. They have relationships with all the major companies and they have the money to make the deals. That would be so SICK. With the combination of the itunes store and a streaming service that had deals with Major movie companies it would be kick ass.

Translation: Apple should buy Netflix so AppleTV can actually work.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2011, 05:52:43 AM »
Well...I will post this, as I personally believe Netflix is the beginning and the end of the internet.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/tech-news/bce-put-on-hot-seat-at-hearing-on-web-pricing/article2093320/

In Canada anyhow.
There are only about 36 million of us, but we're currently IN the curve (you can argue wether we're ahead or behind the curve) but essentially Netflix is causing people to go massively over the caps in their internet plans, if they go with small independent ISP's they don't get torched too bad...if they're with one of the big companies they DO get torched. Of course Netflix leaves out the tiny details that streaming a 700K movie or a 8 gig blueray version is going to ass rape your monthly usage levels. For example:I'm with a small ISP that whole sales off Bell's equipment. My plan is grandfathered too so no data cap. I appreciate that, as it allows me to download 112 gig worth of Pokemon cartoons in 4 days...when in fact my plan has a 40 gig/month cap.

You american's enjoy pretty much "free" internet by comparison. I wonder if we'll ever get to where you are or if it will be vice versa and you end up like Canada. Im guessing the latter, if Verizon's canceling of the "unlimited plans" on their iPhones is any indication. Bandwidth costs. ALOT. the article I posted shows that data transfer charges are coming down, and I can't say that I agree.

On topic. I don't have Netflix. Never have. I usually download my stuff from other sources. However my son HAD to watch a James Bond movie last night, so we went to blockbuster to rent it. Die Another Day/4.99$ for a week. Eeek.....

Well hopefully the openmedia movement will make an impact and the CRTC will do something about the absurd usage limits Bell/Rogers/Telus/Videotron etc are imposing on us... If only we had not voted in a conservative majority, every other party promised to do something about it...

If you want more info check out www.openmedia.ca

...my name is Araragi.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2011, 07:11:22 AM »
Sucks I'll have to pay a whole 6 bucks or whatever more a month, but such is life. It's better than cable or blockbuster or redbox where I have to have one near me in order to return it the very next day.
Nearly doubling the price of something is weak. I can use Redbox from the Stop and Shop down the street and pay a 1.50 for a movie. I pay enough for cable. Maybe its time to take advantage of Starz and HBO channels a little more then I have been.
In the end people will ultimately choose if they want to go forward. The more I ponder it the more I think Netflix is done for me come September. Half the time I wait literally months for the new releases at the top of my queue. Its actually quite ridiculous how long I have waited for some movies.
 Perhaps I should be happy Netflix is making a decision I have pondered for awhile now considerably easier.

Tick I had this problem as well with the newer releases until I started adding them to my queue while they were still in their theatrical release now the queue right to the top of my list when released on DVD/Bluray and I usually have them the first week of release
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2011, 07:14:11 AM »
Everyone talking about Netflix streaming's "bad selection" needs to look at all the great TV shows available (all of Star Trek, Doctor Who, Party Down, etc.), all the classics (Full Metal Jacket, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Pulp Fiction), Starz Play (which has a lot of newer movies available for streaming and keeps them there for a very long time), and the selection of documentaries (if you're ever in the mood for one).  They only don't have the latest summer blockbuster on streaming because Hollywood says no.  If there's a movie I want to see that isn't on streaming, chances are it won't be in redbox either, and I don't want to have to get a blockbuster membership (or find a blockbuster since they're all closing now) to rent an even worse selection of movies.  So, like Gadough and LHK said, tough shit for me.  I can deal with it. :P  $8 a month to watch an (eventually) combined 24 seasons of Star Trek (not Enterprise) whenever I want is a pretty rad deal.

So yeah, Netflix streaming is awesome.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2011, 07:16:26 AM »
Sucks I'll have to pay a whole 6 bucks or whatever more a month, but such is life. It's better than cable or blockbuster or redbox where I have to have one near me in order to return it the very next day.
Nearly doubling the price of something is weak. I can use Redbox from the Stop and Shop down the street and pay a 1.50 for a movie. I pay enough for cable. Maybe its time to take advantage of Starz and HBO channels a little more then I have been.
In the end people will ultimately choose if they want to go forward. The more I ponder it the more I think Netflix is done for me come September. Half the time I wait literally months for the new releases at the top of my queue. Its actually quite ridiculous how long I have waited for some movies.
 Perhaps I should be happy Netflix is making a decision I have pondered for awhile now considerably easier.

Tick I had this problem as well with the newer releases until I started adding them to my queue while they were still in their theatrical release now the queue right to the top of my list when released on DVD/Bluray and I usually have them the first week of release
I have to use strategy to get new releases when they first come out. If I hold my current movie and send it back on a Saturday, Netflix will get in on Monday and send me the release I want at the top that is coming out that Tuesday. If I don't do this the movie I want goes into, "very long wait", sometimes for over 3 months, and I'm not kidding.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2011, 09:12:37 AM »

I have to use strategy to get new releases when they first come out. If I hold my current movie and send it back on a Saturday, Netflix will get in on Monday and send me the release I want at the top that is coming out that Tuesday. If I don't do this the movie I want goes into, "very long wait", sometimes for over 3 months, and I'm not kidding.

That may be due to the number of shipping centers in your region I know that I have at least 5 within 50 ,iles and when one doesn't have it i usually get an e-mail saying its shipping from one of the other centers
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2011, 11:03:54 AM »

uh

"b"

You mean like:

Taxi Driver
The Exorcist
Various Star Trek films (II, III, IV, VI, XI)
Various Akira Kurosawa films (The Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Rashomon, etc.)
Countless Film Noir classics (The Stranger, The Woman in the Window, M, Scarlet Street)
House of the Devil
Brothers
Presumed Innocent
Dirty Harry
Wall-E
Dial M for Murder
Pulp Fiction
Die-Hard
Red Dragon
Silence of the Lambs
Shutter Island
Kairo
The Never Ending Story
The Princess and the Frog
Let the Right One In
Witness for the Prosecution
Superman
Amadeus
Toy Story 3

Really, all of these movies have, over the past year (as long as I've owned Netflix) been available streaming.  That's just what I could think up off the top of my head.  Not to mention Netflix has allowed me to watch The Office, Eden of the East, Fullmetal Alchemist, Death Note, and several episodes of Star Trek: TNG for the very first time.  These aren't B-movies or second-class shows.  This is pretty much the best of the best, from silent classics (which admittedly are free anyway) to some of the very latest (Shutter Island, for example).

It's fine if these aren't to your taste, or Netflix doesn't have as wide of a selection as you'd like, but to say streaming offers nothing good is just...well...ignorant of the facts (no offense intended).

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2011, 11:49:21 AM »
Those are basically more specific examples of my earlier post of why Netflix streaming is great and that anyone who says their selection sucks needs to take another look.

But you forgot to mention Gurren Lagann, Darker Than Black, and Baccano! in your list of anime. :)

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2011, 11:58:08 AM »
They've also got all of Trigun, which I hadn't seen in ages. Also, Shin-Chan. 'Nuff said.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2011, 11:59:04 AM »
I wish we had a decent streaming service for £8 per month D:

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2011, 12:25:40 PM »
Those are basically more specific examples of my earlier post of why Netflix streaming is great and that anyone who says their selection sucks needs to take another look.

But you forgot to mention Gurren Lagann, Darker Than Black, and Baccano! in your list of anime. :)

Sorry, I didn't see that post.  I'll have to check back.

I tried Gurren Lagann and Baccano! but couldn't get into them (I might try again, as I only watched the first episodes of both).  Death Note, on the other hand, is one of the best things I've ever seen, and I likely wouldn't have seen it without Netflix.  My girlfriend also got to watch all of Fruits Basket, which she was lukewarm about but she's been wanting to watch for awhile.  We regularly watch South Park and Nana together, too. We've seen both of those shows before, but they're more convenient on Netflix.  Much more.

I forgot to mention the entirety of Avatar: The Last Airbender.  Loved every minute of it.  My girlfriend and I never watch Nickelodeon so we wouldn't have seen that without Netflix either.

I'll readily admit that Netflix streaming hasn't always had what I was looking for, but I always found something else to watch a minute later.  It's still the best investment in entertainment I've ever made.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2011, 01:25:36 PM »

False I literally use it every day I have two Of them.

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2011, 02:13:16 PM »
Netflix streaming also has a lot of Carpenter films, so it's approved.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2011, 03:49:56 PM »
Yeah, because who would buy the movies they give you to stream? Not many.

Its a pretty certain thing that Netflix will be all streaming within the next few years. Its obvious with that technology they won't be mailing movies forever.

God, I hope so. That would be amazing.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2011, 03:51:33 PM »

False I literally use it every day I have two Of them.

My apple TV works a good amount of the time, but a lot of the time it can't connect to netflix. It's annoying.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2011, 03:59:39 PM »
So basically this is what's happening. (Netflix is coming soon to Latinamerica... we'll see how it goes)

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2011, 09:26:45 AM »
https://www.startribune.com/125555168.html

In the first three months of this year, Netflix spent $192 million on streaming rights after putting $406 million into the library last year. Licensing costs are expected to jump to $1.3 billion to $1.4 billion next year

This has got to account for a huge percentage of the reason why costs are going up. Subscribers can get as mad as they want to, but the fact of the matter is that Netflix would likely be losing money next year if they didn't increase prices. Hollywood is going to get on the streaming bandwagon and want a bigger slice of the pie.