Author Topic: Netflix Announces New Pricing, DVD & Streaming Face 60% Increase  (Read 16426 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Netflix Announces New Pricing, DVD & Streaming Face 60% Increase
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2011, 04:49:11 PM »
Netflix continues to shoot itself in the foot.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2011, 05:02:08 PM »
"We're done raising prices."

Yeah, okay.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2011, 05:14:11 PM »
I know there's a lot of people sitting at their computers and bitching about how poorly run the company is, but I don't think it's going to be that big of a deal. Why? Because right now, I could log in and find something damn interesting to watch in about two minutes. For that very reason, I'm keeping my subscription. I'm sure the majority of the userbase feels the same way. Sure, Corporate fucked up, but I still get to watch my movies and TV. Plus, there's the TV shows from the premium channels I don't get.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2011, 05:28:11 PM »
. Plus, there's the TV shows from the premium channels I don't get.

Don't count on that for a whole lot longer. Showtime already pulled the plug on most of their shows, and Starz is doing it as well.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2011, 05:30:23 PM »

Don't count on that for a whole lot longer. Showtime already pulled the plug on most of their shows, and Starz is doing it as well.

So... I know about starz, but are you saying shows like Dexter won't be on DVD???  I find that hard to believe.  No streaming maybe, but I think the DVD's will still be there for theses series.  Which means I'll still get them  ;D

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2011, 05:36:19 PM »

So... I know about starz, but are you saying shows like Dexter won't be on DVD???  I find that hard to believe.  No streaming maybe, but I think the DVD's will still be there for theses series.  Which means I'll still get them  ;D

Last I knew, Showtime did not comment on the DVD availability, the streaming stuff was pulled months ago.

Offline TL

« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2011, 07:32:29 PM »
See, from a Canadian perspective, we only ever had streaming, it's the same price as it always has been, and until recently, we had shit all for content. We don't have Hulu, and you have to do all kinds of workarounds to watch things legitimately on American TV network sites. You Americans get way more cool stuff, so stop complaining.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2011, 11:09:51 PM »
I know there's a lot of people sitting at their computers and bitching about how poorly run the company is, but I don't think it's going to be that big of a deal. Why? Because right now, I could log in and find something damn interesting to watch in about two minutes. For that very reason, I'm keeping my subscription. I'm sure the majority of the userbase feels the same way. Sure, Corporate fucked up, but I still get to watch my movies and TV. Plus, there's the TV shows from the premium channels I don't get.

I cant.  However, even with all the crap about this company at the moment, I am keeping the DVD/BluRay service since I enjoy being able to rent pretty much anything thats been made into a DVD, including Nightwish concerts, Metallica Concerts, DT concerts (although I own them all) and tons more.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2011, 04:14:14 AM »
See, from a Canadian perspective, we only ever had streaming, it's the same price as it always has been, and until recently, we had shit all for content. We don't have Hulu, and you have to do all kinds of workarounds to watch things legitimately on American TV network sites. You Americans get way more cool stuff, so stop complaining.
In the UK, the only legit streaming option we have is terrible. You pay for online streaming along with DVD rental and then you find out that the majority of good TV shows + films are pay per view anyway (even with the subscription).

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #114 on: October 11, 2011, 07:33:29 AM »
It doesn't take losing a majority to severely cut into their revenue.  If the original announcement to split only caused some complaints why would they back track?  It's not like they could have been so blind to not expect some griping on the decision.  They must have had a clear indication it was going to cost them business, probably already so.

There's protest cancellations, but I would think it would be more than that.  I wonder if they started to have evidence that splitting into two would encourage customers to decide between one or the other instead of keeping both.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: October 11, 2011, 08:17:47 AM »

Well we only get all the cool stuff because we make 90% of all the cool stuff :)
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2011, 08:29:22 AM »
The Canadian and US film industries are tied together very closely.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #117 on: October 11, 2011, 08:37:24 AM »
It doesn't take losing a majority to severely cut into their revenue.  If the original announcement to split only caused some complaints why would they back track?  It's not like they could have been so blind to not expect some griping on the decision.  They must have had a clear indication it was going to cost them business, probably already so.

There's protest cancellations, but I would think it would be more than that.  I wonder if they started to have evidence that splitting into two would encourage customers to decide between one or the other instead of keeping both.

This.

Netflix reported something like 1.2 million people cancelled their membership when the price hike went into affect. That's 9.6 million per month they will not be receiving, 115.2 million per year (assuming no more people leave). There goes the funds for at least three of the Dream Works titles that are suppose to help save the company.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: October 11, 2011, 08:37:37 AM »
Well, we use Canada for locations because of the tax credits.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #119 on: October 11, 2011, 08:44:48 AM »
Which in turn melds the talent and resources of the US and Canadian industries.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: October 11, 2011, 08:50:43 AM »
Which in turn melds the talent and resources of the US and Canadian industries.

Well... sometimes.  Usually its going to be mostly American crew, production teams, post teams, American studios yadda yadda.  The US film industry is way bigger than Canada's.  Without the US part, Canada wouldn't even be involved in these major leases that are often shot in Toronto for example.

I mean, really no other film/television industry in the world is as big as the industry in the US.  Which was my point.  The 90% figure.  So yea.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #121 on: October 11, 2011, 08:59:29 AM »
Vancouver puts a lot of material out that is usually assumed US film industry, especially basic cable originals.  That's why little maple leafs are at the end of credits on a lot of US tv shows.

On location is one thing, but Canadian film industry actually works closely with the US industry producing material.  The top Canadian talent ends up working within the US industry as they move up the ladder.  It isn't like one or two people end up going to Hollywood like many countries do, Canada actually feeds into Hollywood the same as the US does.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: October 11, 2011, 09:05:03 AM »
Yes I understand all of that.  I'm well versed in the film industry.  The fact is, if Hollywood left Canada, what would Canada have as a film industry?  That's the point I'm making.  I understand they work together, but basically Canada is being used for its Tax credit.  If there were better tax credits in the US (which there have been recently.  Michigan had a 40% credit for films; although I believe they have since revoked it but not sure.) there wouldn't be as many films shot in Canada.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #123 on: October 11, 2011, 09:15:35 AM »
The fact that they do go there so much and that it is a normal option for them is important.  Canada is their territory for regular business as much as the US is.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: October 11, 2011, 09:19:22 AM »
The fact that they do go there so much and that it is a normal option for them is important.  Canada is their territory for regular business as much as the US is.

If you didn't have the tax credit, however...  I think you might have missed my point a bit.  But you didn't answer my question as to what Canada's film industry would be without Hollywood.  Because Hollywood would still be able to flourish without Canada's tax credit.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #125 on: October 11, 2011, 09:31:11 AM »
That's not the situation, though.  ...and if anything it emphasizes why the US and Canadian industries are one.  You take Hollywood business out of any country other than the US or Canada and they probably won't notice a whole lot.  Remove Hollywood from Canada and they're mostly left with the government's attempts at having something unique to Canada, virtually nothing but Degrassi.

Right now, Hollywood is the natural progression for Canadian talent.  You take away location and at this point it probably still would be.  Even without credit Canada would be just as accessible to Hollywood business as the rest of the US is.  States with no credit aren't excluded from being under Hollywood's umbrella simply because they don't film there often.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: October 11, 2011, 09:42:06 AM »
Two different prospective being discussed here. One from Hollywood's view, the other from Canada's view.

Canada needs Hollywood, Hollywood doesn't need Canada.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #127 on: October 11, 2011, 09:52:15 AM »
I'm not Canadian, and Hollywood doesn't need Arizona, either.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: October 11, 2011, 10:15:07 AM »
uhhh wat? I'm not calling any one canadian and it wasn't an insult.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #129 on: October 11, 2011, 10:43:56 AM »
I mean there's no reason to think I was giving a Canadian perspective.

...as for Arizona, it's just a jibe.  It is difficult to quantify something like need in this case.  I don't know that you're right about those statements, nor do I know if it matters if you are.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2011, 11:00:50 AM »
I was just trying to clarify what I thought you two were discussing. It seemed to me you were both saying the same thing from different perspectives.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2011, 11:07:31 AM »
Thats a good observation, but I read an article that was released (sorry no link) after theyy announced the split, that speculated the split waa designed so netflix could sell off the streaming service to amazon. If that was the plan, the sell probably couldnt be agreed upon and then they decide to do what was right for the customer and keep the company as one.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2011, 11:11:55 AM »
Netflix's owners strike me as too egotistical to sell to Amazon.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #133 on: October 11, 2011, 11:41:44 AM »
Netflix's stock looked like it was gaining a little steam yesterday as it got close to $130.00 per share. As of right now it is sitting at $105.xx . Things are really starting to look bad for them. I think once it get people $100.00, we will see it begin crumble very quickly.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #134 on: October 11, 2011, 11:51:33 AM »
Netflix's stock looked like it was gaining a little steam yesterday as it got close to $130.00 per share. As of right now it is sitting at $105.xx . Things are really starting to look bad for them. I think once it get people $100.00, we will see it begin crumble very quickly.

I hate sounding like I'm just saying you're wrong.  Netflix has proven over the last couple months they don't quite know what they're doing.  But, they have almost a billion dollars in their bank account.  They aren't going to just die off immediately.  And their dominance of the streaming market will give them many opportunities to right the ship.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #135 on: October 11, 2011, 11:57:49 AM »

I hate sounding like I'm just saying you're wrong.  Netflix has proven over the last couple months they don't quite know what they're doing.  But, they have almost a billion dollars in their bank account.  They aren't going to just die off immediately.  And their dominance of the streaming market will give them many opportunities to right the ship.

I understand where you are coming from. But a billion dollars will get Netflix a hell of lot more right now, than it will this time next year. They need to figure something out yesterday. Their competitors have much more than that, and can throw it around with a lot less risk. They can do all they want, but if customers are fleeing left and right. If they don't get them back before they go to the competition, they are fucked.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: January 09, 2012, 10:40:46 AM »
So, Netflix came out in the UK today. Got a month free trial. I'm sharing the account with my sister so if we like it, we're going to split the cost every month (works out at £3 each).

Going to watch Hobo With a Shotgun on it tonight with a friend :D

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #137 on: January 09, 2012, 10:42:03 AM »
Netflix is getting better and better with their instant streaming. It's well worth the price, even if some things you have to wait for by mail.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2012, 10:45:04 AM »
We don't even have the mail option. It's just streaming here.

The selection isn't brilliant right now but it's got a lot of good TV shows that I haven't watched yet.

£6 per month for unlimited streaming is really good though.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #139 on: January 09, 2012, 10:46:09 AM »
And I think as you wade through whatever is available to you, more good stuff will pop up on the site. That's happened to me a few times, and I always have something ready to watch.