Author Topic: Why did John Petrucci get into weight lifting? Considering he's massive now.  (Read 38890 times)

Offline Vajra

Has he ever stated why? I'm assuming he must have been insecure about his size, because no one works out to attain that size just for the fun of it, they obviously feel unsatisfied with their body.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
To play live every night, you have to be in shape. I have also heard that weightlifting helps with guitar playing in general.

I also think that part of the reason he's so big now is because of fat more than muscle.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Martinman300

He hurt his arm skiing and he said he wanted to be bigger and stronger so that sort of thing wouldn't happen.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
He hurt his arm skiing and he said he wanted to be bigger and stronger so that sort of thing wouldn't happen.

really? i dont remember hearing that

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
because no one works out to attain that size just for the fun of it, they obviously feel unsatisfied with their body.

I don't mean to carry this off on a tangent, but actually A LOT of people work out regardless of how they feel about their body.  Sometimes it's just a way of dealing with stress.

Doubt this applies to JP, though.  Just saying as a sidenote.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Interesting question.  Yea, JP is freaking huge.  It's kinda shocking how big he's become when you watch back at the Live in Tokyo video from 1993 and see what a stringbean he was.  If someone coordinated an all-out brawl of rock guitarists, I think JP could win.  
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Vajra

because no one works out to attain that size just for the fun of it, they obviously feel unsatisfied with their body.

I don't mean to carry this off on a tangent, but actually A LOT of people work out regardless of how they feel about their body.  Sometimes it's just a way of dealing with stress.
Yeah I agree. But for JP to get to the size he reached after being so small, required a lot of intense dieting and working out, I mean, he really did actual body building. Working out as a stress reliever is one thing, but to go full out body building is because you want to get bigger.

Offline IdoSC

He stated he's really into body building before. Whether he's feeling insecure, I don't know. He's a completely healthy man mentally, he's successful worldwide and he has a great family. Doesn't seem like he has many insecurities about his appearance to me, but I guess it's his personal business if he does either way.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
Most people seem to work out just for their appearance. It's not like many actually use those muscles for anything outside the gym. I guess JP just like the thought of being big, pretty much like everybody else working out.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline Ħ

In some interview, he said that he broke his arm or something, and he was sick of being fragile, so that motivated him to get stronger.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline j

Most people seem to work out just for their appearance. It's not like many actually use those muscles for anything outside the gym. I guess JP just like the thought of being big, pretty much like everybody else working out.

Some do, but lots of people enjoy the goal-oriented aspect of it as well, pushing oneself to continue to make progress.  Not to mention the health benefits.  For a dude with such intense self-discipline on the gee-tar, it doesn't surprise me that this type of weight training appeals to him.

-J

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
For you younger folk.... it's just a reality of life that our metabolisms start slowing down as we get older, usually between 35-45ish.   So for working out lifting my guess is twofold.  1. To help convert some of the extra lbs's to muscle.  2. For strength, stamina, and conditioning to play.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
I thought we had decided that it was because of The Count of Tuscany?
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Vajra

I thought we had decided that it was because of The Count of Tuscany?
Original lyrics to TCOT:

"Please don't be afraid
I would never try to hurt you
Just start to body build
Strange although it seems
Please try to get jacked"

The members of DT urged JP to change them at the last minute though.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 06:46:52 PM by Samara »

Offline JasonScandopolous

50% chance that this or the next album contains a song about weightlifting, lyrics by Petrucci.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
because no one works out to attain that size just for the fun of it

That's a poor assumption and is untrue.  I think he just enjoys the sport of lifting weights, that's not an uncommon thing.  Plus, there's nothinig wrong with a person wanting to improve themselves and look their best. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Vajra

because no one works out to attain that size just for the fun of it

That's a poor assumption and is untrue.  I think he just enjoys the sport of lifting weights, that's not an uncommon thing.  Plus, there's nothinig wrong with a person wanting to improve themselves and look their best. 
I agree, looking your best is an awesome goal. My point was that JP got massive, that type of dedication usually stems from something more than just a joy of the sport, usually there's a desire to accomplish something.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
50% chance that this or the next album contains a song about weightlifting, lyrics by Petrucci.

Nah, the entire thing is about weightlifting.  A Dramatic Turn of Events - Petrucci buffs up.  On the Backs of Angels - Petrucci is now strong enough to carry the world on his back.  Build Me Up, Break Me Down - building up muscle, breaking down fat.  Lost Not Forgotten - he lost his humanity because his muscles made him more bearlike than ever, but he hasn't forgotten his human life.  This is the Life - because it feels cool to be bigger.  The Shaman's Trance - because in order to get the willpower to keep up his workouts, he was hypnotized by a shaman.  This song will be about how he was mentally conditioned to lift weights.  Outcry - everyone telling Petrucci how huge he looks.  Far From Heaven - he's continuing to work out because, even though he's a bear, he's still not perfect, which means he needs to keep working out.  Breaking All Illusions - because if anyone had the illusion that Petrucci was weak, that illusion has been broken.  And Beneath the Surface - because underneath his skin is a muscular machine.

And now back to the OP question: JP got into weight lifting so they could write an album about it.   :D
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Vajra

Nah, the entire thing is about weightlifting.  A Dramatic Turn of Events - Petrucci buffs up.  On the Backs of Angels - Petrucci is now strong enough to carry the world on his back.  Build Me Up, Break Me Down - building up muscle, breaking down fat.  Lost Not Forgotten - he lost his humanity because his muscles made him more bearlike than ever, but he hasn't forgotten his human life.  This is the Life - because it feels cool to be bigger.  The Shaman's Trance - because in order to get the willpower to keep up his workouts, he was hypnotized by a shaman.  This song will be about how he was mentally conditioned to lift weights.  Outcry - everyone telling Petrucci how huge he looks.  Far From Heaven - he's continuing to work out because, even though he's a bear, he's still not perfect, which means he needs to keep working out.  Breaking All Illusions - because if anyone had the illusion that Petrucci was weak, that illusion has been broken.  And Beneath the Surface - because underneath his skin is a muscular machine.

And now back to the OP question: JP got into weight lifting so they could write an album about it.   :D
:rollin

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
Jp got into weightlifting for the womenz I bet.

Offline Vajra

Jp got into weightlifting for the female bears I bet.
Fixed.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Jp got into weightlifting for the female bears I bet.
Fixed.
Bears are actually attracted to ovulating women, so I think the original statement might still hold true.
I wonder if JP's workout buddy is Dr. Dre.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
Jp got into weightlifting for the sows I bet.
Fixed.
Fixed again.
("Sow" is the official word for a female bear. Just sounds better than "female bear".)
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
("Sow" is the official word for a female bear. Just sounds better than "female bear".)

It also refers to pigs and badgers.

Offline pmahoney1337

:lol very nice.

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

For you younger folk.... it's just a reality of life that our metabolisms start slowing down as we get older, usually between 35-45ish.   So for working out lifting my guess is twofold.  1. To help convert some of the extra lbs's to muscle.  2. For strength, stamina, and conditioning to play.

Your body cannot convert fat to muscle. Muscle and fat are 2 completely different types of tissues, and one doesn't just magically turn into the other. Gaining muscle has little effect on your body fat percentage. Sure, you'll burn a little more fat by having more muscle but nothing significant. The only way to lose fat is through cardio training, like running, cycling etc.

I have also heard that weightlifting helps with guitar playing in general.

I can't imagine how weightlifting would help with guitar playing. I think it's the opposite: heavy weight training increases the stiffness of muscle tendon units, so it makes your arms and hands less flexible.

I also think that part of the reason he's so big now is because of fat more than muscle.

This. I hate to say it, but he's probably way more unhealthy now than when he started weightlifting.

He's a completely healthy man mentally, he's successful worldwide and he has a great family.

You can't really say if someone else is mentally healthy. Some people can be severely depressed and still look and behave normally. I'm not saying Petrucci has severe mental issues, but you can never know.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 01:53:45 AM by In The Name Of Rudess »

Offline elmatto

Been working out since  I was in 8th grade. I can tell you straight up, that the reason people generally start body building is because once they start seeing the fruits of their labor...it's really hard to turn back. People generally weight lift for more than one reason. Most of them have already been listed. And I mean, you can't deny that bodybuilding is a vain sport. People like to look good. I know I like to look at myself in the mirror sometimes and see what I've built. I'm not obsessive about it like some people get...but I'll be the first to admit that bodybuilding is what it is. It's also a sport in which you can set goals and reach them. That makes you feel accomplished. It's also, for me anyways....once you've done it long enough...you enjoy that soreness that comes after. You feel good when you're in the gym. It wakes you up. Gets you going. There is also the added health benefits. I mean...so long as you aren't destroying your joints by doing stupid shit with terrible form. That's another thing...my father is 50 something...and he squats 300 pounds easy. No knee or back problems....or joint problems in general. It all comes down to your form and how safe you are. If you're an idiot that doesn't warm up, do proper form...your bodies probably gonna fall apart on you.
plz read my webcomic<br /><br />https://www.drunkduck.com/Bally_Who/index.php

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
I think Petrucci works out so much because he wants to give justice to the term "Bear hug."
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
maybe he just likes lifting weights?
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady

It also refers to pigs and badgers.
I know that  :lol
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline ronrule

Bodybuilding and strength training are kinda two different subgenres of weight lifting.  Bodybuilding is more about aesthetics (ya know those bodybuilding poses?) and strength training is about just moving sheer weight in the form of squats, deadlifts, cleans, etc.

The way JP has put on weight (both muscle and fat) and his talk about heavy squats points to strength training.  It's a very regimented, goal-orientated, exhilarating sport.  But in order to keep lifting increasingly heavier amounts, you need to eat a lot (esp protein, hence the salmon jokes).  But a tweak in the diet, that fat would be gone, his strength would likely plateau, and he would be ripped.

Offline Aquila Chrysaetos

Maybe he found lifting shadows off a dream really hard and wanted to make it easier.

Maybe he found lifting shadows off a dream really hard and wanted to make it easier.

:lol That made me chuckle.

Offline champbassist

If someone coordinated an all-out brawl of rock guitarists, I think JP could win.  

DAYUM!!! That'd be hilarious. I'm sure he'd beat Paul Gilbert and Vai to a pulp. An Yngwie tackle might be a tougher challenge, though ;D

If someone coordinated an all-out brawl of rock guitarists, I think JP could win.  

DAYUM!!! That'd be hilarious. I'm sure he'd beat Paul Gilbert and Vai to a pulp. An Yngwie tackle might be a tougher challenge, though ;D

Zakk Wylde could give him some competition. I don't think he's quite as buffed up, but he's at least 5 inches taller.