Author Topic: Why did John Petrucci get into weight lifting? Considering he's massive now.  (Read 38984 times)

Offline tumbok

I remember DT Norway i-tunes podcast episode 7 with JP discussed a lot about JP's body building.

You can check and download it for free via i-tunes.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 08:41:44 PM by tumbok »

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Your body cannot convert fat to muscle. Muscle and fat are 2 completely different types of tissues, and one doesn't just magically turn into the other. Gaining muscle has little effect on your body fat percentage. Sure, you'll burn a little more fat by having more muscle but nothing significant. The only way to lose fat is through cardio training, like running, cycling etc.

'Converting fat to muscle' is kind of an expression.  Nobody says that and means 'I'm drinking a smoothie that chemically alters the body's fat and turns it into muscle.'  What they mean is, "I'm not actually losing weight; I'm losing fat, but I'm also building muscle, so even though I'm losing fat, my body weight isn't changing much.  Really, it's kind of like I'm converting my weight from fat to muscle, as I lose fat and gain muscle." 

Also, for the record, cardio routines are NOT the only way to burn fat.  They are simply the most efficient.  The body burns more calories depending on the heart rate - for this reason, cardio routines are very effective, because cardio is designed to keep the heart rate in an ideal range.  But, literally anything that increases the heart rate, also increases the rate at which the body burns calories.  So, for instance, walking.  Taking a leisurely walk isn't exactly the best way to burn fat, but you WILL burn more fat by taking a leisurely walk than by taking a nap.  And a light jog will be more effective than a leisurely walk, and a run will be more effective than a light jog, and et cetera.  Cardio is he most efficient way to burn fat, but yes, you can burn some fat by weight lifting.

EDIT: Sorry for the rant.  It's just, I've heard a lot of people complaining about not losing weight from weight training, so I've learned: they don't lose weight because they are gaining muscle, and their weight doesn't go up, either, because they're also burning fat.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 08:09:53 PM by Jaffa »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Interesting question.  Yea, JP is freaking huge.  It's kinda shocking how big he's become when you watch back at the Live in Tokyo video from 1993 and see what a stringbean he was.  If someone coordinated an all-out brawl of rock guitarists, I think JP could win. 
I doubt he can take the Romeo-Malmsteen burger-annihilating duo. Just saying.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
He wants to audition for Manowar.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline EpicCookie

• Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back!
  • Carpe Diem!
If someone coordinated an all-out brawl of rock guitarists, I think JP could win. 

DAYUM!!! That'd be hilarious. I'm sure he'd beat Paul Gilbert and Vai to a pulp. An Yngwie tackle might be a tougher challenge, though ;D
Yngwie isn't really buffed up right? or is he? :P lol I have no idea actually xd
made by c00kiE [aiw]

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
JP is big but he's not Kane Roberts Big. AmIright TAC?! :lol

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC