Author Topic: The Educators Thread  (Read 14557 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Educators Thread
« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2016, 04:19:28 PM »
You feel bad that your jobs found you, as opposed to you having to beat the streets to find them?  I guess I don't follow.

The way I read it, he felt bad for Splent (who hasn't had the best of lucks with his profession), because apparently for him it didn't involve much effort to find the job (well, besides studying a lot).

Ah, that does make sense.  I guess I read Dr. DTVT's comment in too much of a vaccuum, and didn't consider the context (that is, that it followed Splent's comment).

Anyways, I read what you wrote. Good for you! Hopefully at a later stage in your life (when your kids are older?) you'll get to be able to teach again.

For a while, I used to think I'd do that, but I think that at this point, it's not a real possibility.  I've been out of the game for over 20 years now.  Returning to teaching, with kids no better than they were before (and likely worse) and me now a cranky old man, it just wouldn't work.  Also (and I'm not trying to brag, just giving some perspective), I now make more than three times as much as I made when I was teaching.  The cut in salary would devestate our finances.  Right now, I'm not really working to support my kids so much as I'm working to pay for their college.  That's a huge debt that's not going away any time soon.

At my last job, I also a lot of training, wrote training manuals for various processes, and even put my web experience to use running the company's first website.  That kept my teaching jones in check for a while as I got through the withdrawal.  Where I am now, I just do programming, and I've finally come to think of myself as a programmer.  I mean, I still consider myself a teacher (since "teaching" is a pretty broad term and I do have the degree), I still consider myself a cook (seven years in the kitchens, and I still cook at home), and of course I'll always be a musician.  But if there's a career I would not go back to at this point in my life, it's education.  As much as I loved doing it before, the kids would eat me alive now.  If I had to, I could go back to the kitchens, and if I wanted to really bust my ass, I could probably play for a living.  But teaching... wow, that's just gonna have to be one of those things I "used to do".

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #141 on: February 25, 2016, 09:06:12 PM »
You could always sub  :rollin
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #142 on: February 25, 2016, 10:17:13 PM »
You wanna hear something wacky?  I liked subbing.  I graduated Winter Quarter back when Michigan State was still on the quarter system, so for part of March, all of April and May, and the first week of June, I was on the sub list for six different school districts in my area.  I had my degree and my teaching certificate; I was ready to go.  Then I did summer school, too, because my first regular teaching position wasn't til that fall.  There were days I'd get calls from two or three different schools and get to choose.  Back then, I was still young, hungry, and idealistic.  I wanted to get out there and teach, and it was great because the lesson plan was done for me, all I had to do was deliver the lesson, and I didn't have to grade the homework or tests or anything.

Sure, half the time it was just a movie or some other waste of time because the regular teacher wasn't going to trust the presentation of new material to a sub, but sometimes they got sick that morning and there wasn't a choice.  I got to teach science, math, history, music, English, even Spanish.  The best was scoring a long-term gig.  I had a two-week stint teaching math the nicest high school in the area, and it was sweet.  The teacher had surgery scheduled and knew weeks ahead of time that he'd be out, and had lesson plans prepared every day for every class.  By time I was done, the students were telling me that they wished I could just teach them the rest of the year because they liked me better than their regular teacher.  They liked him, too, but I made it fun.  And yeah, they learned.  Algebra II & Trig, Advanced Geometry, that kind of stuff.  The smart kids, the ones who actually liked learning and did the work.

One time I covered two days for the band director at the school where I'd done my student teaching.  Solo & Ensemble was coming up, so the notes just said to let the kids practice their stuff.  Well heck, my first major was music education, and I knew half the kids from teaching math there for three months, so I went around helping them all, giving them pointers, etc.  They loved that.

I did a three-day gig teaching history, and they were just starting a unit on World War II.  I always started each class by writing my name on the board... in Chinese.  Then I'd write it in English in parentheses and make some kind of joke.  With the World War II unit, I didn't joke, but instead said that I was Chinese, not Japanese, so get it straight because Chinese people do not like Japanese people.  Every class, someone asked why.  This was Lansing, Michigan, in the 80's.  Most of them had never even met an Asian before, and if they'd heard of Chinese or Japanese people, we were all the same to them anyway.  So I told them about the Japanese invasion of Manchuria, completely unprovoked, lots of deaths.  Talked about how you almost couldn't blame the Japanese, since they had all those people crammed onto a string of little islands, while China had this whole huge area (draw some rough maps on the board), but it still wasn't cool what they did.  Heads nodding.  Talked about the escalation, and how Japan somehow got it into their heads to bomb the U.S. base at Pearl Harbor, which is how the U.S. got involved.  It started with them thinking they'd get the sub talking, and they'd get out of learning anything that day, but instead we talked and they learned half a chapter from the book before they knew what was going on.  And they were engaged.  By the third day, they didn't want to see me leave, either.  I had kids telling me they'd learned more in three days than they'd learned all year from the regular teacher.  They never realized that history could actually be interesting.

In other words, subbing might not be as ridiculous a suggestion as you think.  I've never thought about it before, but I think it would be fun.  Thanks for reminding me about that.  Those were good times.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #143 on: July 28, 2016, 08:08:17 PM »
Bumping this...

I've been teaching for 10 years... In various places... I've had 2 former students go missing and be on the news. I've had students who's cousins, aunts, uncles, and parents, and other family members die. But never this. And I was waiting for it. And it sucks. I had a former student get shot and killed in Chicago last night. I do keep up with a few of my former students who are now adults, but not him... However one of his best friends I do keep up with. Many of my former students use nicknames as their names, and I didn't recognize him... But I remember his real name... And I'm just numb now. I'm sick.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #144 on: July 28, 2016, 09:38:59 PM »
Damn, that sucks.  :(  I taught for six years, over 20 years ago now, but it's what I have my Bachelor's in, and I'll always consider myself a teacher.

I taught in a magnet program, so the teachers and students got pretty tight over the four years together.  During my time there, we moved from an apartment to a townhouse, and two of my students volunteered to help.  I bought them lunch and stuff; it was a pretty fun day, actually.

As it happens, both of those guys are now deceased.  One was an avid mountain biker, and died just last year in an accident.  The other passed about ten years ago.  Suicide.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #145 on: July 29, 2016, 08:45:51 AM »
Well, crap.  Re-reading this thread, I realize that due to my shitty memory, I've mentioned three times in less than five pages that I taught in a magnet.  (Ha, four times now!)

To clarify, it was never to brag, but to point out how bonded I was to my students.  When you have the same students for four years, and fewer of them (about 100 total), you get to know each other pretty well.  Also, I'd moved halfway across the country for that gig, so my wife and I didn't know anyone there.  The students were the closest thing I had to friends.  They're the ones I looked forward to seeing every day, they're the ones who I talked to in my off time.  I was in awe of and frankly intimidated by most of my co-workers, all veteran teachers with Masters and many with PhD's, and here I was some punk rookie with a BS.  So I didn't really hang out with them.  I spent lunch periods hanging in my room, or out on the lawn, with the students.  I was even closer in age to them than to most of my co-workers.  20 years later, I'm Facebook friends with over 40 of them, and correspond with most on a regular basis.

The deaths of my students always hit me hard.  These are my "kids", and also my friends.  That's all I was trying to say.

Offline Cable

« Reply #146 on: July 29, 2016, 06:12:26 PM »
It's a grey boundary with students at times, but that is awesome Orbert. Teachers that strike up similarity rapport with students will almost always IMO be a more effective teacher, regardless of what the content is.
---

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2016, 08:08:16 AM »
Orbert, where did you teach?   Where you in a magnet?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #148 on: August 08, 2016, 08:40:40 AM »
The official title of the program was The Montgomery County Public Schools Mathematics, Science, and Computer Science Magnet Program.  The MCPS MSCS MP.  The title was as ridiculous as the program itself.

Public schools in Maryland are organized at the county level, and Montgomery County borders Washington, D.C. on the north, so it includes many established communities, including Bethesda, Potomac, Silver Spring, and Chevy Chase.  The children of doctors at Walter Reed and Johns Hopkins, researchers at The National Institute of Science or The Smithsonian Institute, CEOs of national and international companies, and others, apply to be in this program.  Out of thousands of applicants every year, only 100 are accepted into the program.

The focus is on learning how to use math, science and technology to further research and use them in anything where you can apply math, science and technology, which is everything.  I came in with a B.S. in Math Education, minor in Computer Science, with certificates to teach both, but I was in the Computer Science department.  I taught Algorithms and Data Structures, and also a class designed for students who, even within the accelerated scale of this program, were considered "advanced".  The ones who'd already been programming (mostly recreationally) since junior high or grade school.  I can't remember the name of that class, the geekiest of the geeks.  This was in the early 90's, so way, way ahead of most of the rest of the country.  You put together a lot of brains and Type-A personalities with plenty of financial resources, and you can get a lot done.

It was a great teaching gig, very challenging, but not for everyone.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #149 on: August 08, 2016, 04:22:24 PM »
Wait, are you saying you taught in a magnet? ;)

I have an interview at a middle school a little closer to home tomorrow, so send good vibes, prayers, thoughts, whatever floats your boat my way.