Author Topic: The Educators Thread  (Read 14565 times)

Offline contest_sanity

The Educators Thread
« on: July 08, 2011, 10:12:27 AM »
I've been wanting to make this thread for a while, where people who are either already educators or people soon to be so (I know there are at least a few of us: myself, Jamesman, Splent, DTVT, etc.) can discuss shit of particular relevance to the profession.  Of course, this doesn't preclude anyone else from participating as well, but I just thought this could be a place of support and collaboration for those of us with educational vocations.  So go ahead and discuss whatevs:

Offline contest_sanity

Re: The Educators Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 10:21:52 AM »
So I guess I'll be first.  My 2 main concerns right now are finishing grad school/earning my degree and finding a job.  Regarding the former, I have to give an exhibition in about 2 weeks where I talk for 30-45 minutes, synthesizing my entire experience in the program (as well as student teaching) into one speech.  Talk about a difficult task.  Right now I have about 15-20 solid minutes, but I'm feeling so unmotivated to finish the thing.  I think I am still exhausted from the Spring Semester when I was student teaching as well as working 25 hours a week at Target.

On the job front, I have sent numerous applications and have not heard anything at all.  Nothing.  Not even the first interview.  I'm getting concerned since it's already July.  I know jobs can open up at the last minute, but there are also a lot of other people out there vying for positions (many of whom have much more experience than just student teaching).  Anyway, I still have Target and can increase my hours there, but it will still be a big disappointment to not find a teaching job this year.  And I think this pessimism is starting to affect my motivation for the coursework I have left.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 10:55:08 AM »
Are you looking at college/university level jobs or the primary/secondary school level?  I can't speak for primary/secondary, but most colleges and universities prime application season is the fall semester, because they want to weed out who comes in for an interview (a multi-day event for each candidate) in the early Spring so they can make offers March and April.  The jobs that are still posted after that either were forgotten to be taken down or became temp positions because they couldn't find a long term candidate or the person they wanted took another position.  At least that's my experience.

Also for the college level, I've found the networking I did several years ago to be invaluable. 

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
Oh, I am looking at the high school level (English).  I will only have a Master's degree.  I would love to do more at some point, but for right now I need to get some experience teaching first.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 07:21:19 PM »
Also for the college level, I've found the networking I did several years ago to be invaluable. 

Indeed. When I student teach this fall, I want to make sure I am in good standing with the principal at my high school. I want my name to have good connotations in the education field here. I'm already in greats standing among all the math professors and education professors, and I feel like their backing is in my favor for getting a job and going on to grad school.

Like I said, I am student teaching beginning in six weeks. I am very nervous in a sense, but I have attained enough practice and experience that I know for sure that I just need to get into my groove in the first week or two and all of it will fly by and go smooth. It happened in both "practice" classes that I only had to teach 3 lessons in. The kids loved me (talking high school juniors and seniors), the math was the harder stuff and my mistakes only stemmed from nervousness. The kids got the concepts well enough that they got great grades on their subsequent test and really knew the content well.

Yep, very nervous but so amazingly stoked that all this hard work is culminating in less than 5 months.

I also feel blessed to have chosen arguably the best subject to teach for middle/high school. At least here in Florida, if you are certified to teach high school math, you have a job somewhere near you. I think in my city there aren't jobs, but a 25 minute drive to a high school to work is more than worth it to me (and relocating later is always an option, though the drive would be great for listening to music).

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 10:24:52 PM »
So I guess I'll be first.  My 2 main concerns right now are finishing grad school/earning my degree and finding a job.  Regarding the former, I have to give an exhibition in about 2 weeks where I talk for 30-45 minutes, synthesizing my entire experience in the program (as well as student teaching) into one speech.  Talk about a difficult task.  Right now I have about 15-20 solid minutes, but I'm feeling so unmotivated to finish the thing.  I think I am still exhausted from the Spring Semester when I was student teaching as well as working 25 hours a week at Target.

On the job front, I have sent numerous applications and have not heard anything at all.  Nothing.  Not even the first interview.  I'm getting concerned since it's already July.  I know jobs can open up at the last minute, but there are also a lot of other people out there vying for positions (many of whom have much more experience than just student teaching).  Anyway, I still have Target and can increase my hours there, but it will still be a big disappointment to not find a teaching job this year.  And I think this pessimism is starting to affect my motivation for the coursework I have left.

Not to be a downer, but unless you have some experience under your belt, you are going to be hard pressed to find a job.  Masters degrees cost more money, at least under every single collective bargaining agreement I've read.  With a masters and no experience, you are probably going to have to find an in somewhere to get started, or else you may have to settle for something part time  or subbing so that you can get some experience, and then apply for full time positions.  I know you are focused on mainly high school, but high schools are hard as hell to get into, because usually they pay more (in certain types of districts... community consolidated districts it doesn't matter, but high school districts it usually is that way); you may want to at least consider teaching middle school to get your feet wet.  My suggestion is to apply for EVERYTHING you can and get some experience.  You can't be picky right now. 

Now don't freak out yet because it's July.  My last two jobs I was hired mid-July.  Big job openings occur in April (retirements), June, and end of July-August.  Job openings slow down now because early to mid July are when most superintendents have vacations.  I've been waiting for 3 weeks now to hear from a high school job that's between me and 1 other person to teach high school choir and class piano.  Principal can't do anything about it except wait.  Just be patient.  It will happen.  But be liberal in applying.  Apply everywhere that seems feasible to you. 
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 10:34:04 PM »
Thanks for the advice, Splent.  I hadn't thought of the superintendent vacation explanation, so that's good to know.  I am also applying for some Middle School jobs because, as you said, cast the net as wide as possible, right?  I'm really applying to anything within an hour and a half of where I live.  Subbing/part-time could be a good idea in theory; however, my family's health insurance is through Target.  Therefore, I HAVE to keep up full time hours there, precisely because I don't know if I will find a teaching job.  Not sure if I can handle 40 hrs a week in retail as well as subbing.   

Online Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 01:36:57 AM »
Perfect timing for this thread, as I just received an email from the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing stating that I've just been issued my Single Subject Credential in Foundational Mathematics!  Now I just need to pester a couple people to finish their letters of recommendation so I can apply for positions.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 04:51:03 AM »
Thanks for the advice, Splent.  I hadn't thought of the superintendent vacation explanation, so that's good to know.  I am also applying for some Middle School jobs because, as you said, cast the net as wide as possible, right?  I'm really applying to anything within an hour and a half of where I live.  Subbing/part-time could be a good idea in theory; however, my family's health insurance is through Target.  Therefore, I HAVE to keep up full time hours there, precisely because I don't know if I will find a teaching job.  Not sure if I can handle 40 hrs a week in retail as well as subbing.   

Don't sub every day. Just a few times a week.

Perfect timing for this thread, as I just received an email from the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing stating that I've just been issued my Single Subject Credential in Foundational Mathematics!  Now I just need to pester a couple people to finish their letters of recommendation so I can apply for positions.

Nice! This is a fantastic year for both of us man, we'll both be certified to teach math. We should start a club or something.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 07:20:57 AM »
I've landed a job in church music that includes teaching music in the attached grade school. It's K-8 and about 6 hours of classroom time every week.  I don't have any formal training in education, so I'm scared as hell to start.  Advice?
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 02:33:42 PM »
I so don't belong here, but it is a goal of mine to teach one day. :D

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 02:36:55 PM »
No dawg, come on in.  What is it that you envision yourself teaching?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 02:39:08 PM »
Well, I plan on going to school for philosophy, then going to law school because being a modern day philosopher is risky business. If shit gets better in the next 6 years, I'll get my degree, masters, and PhD in philosophy and teach at a university. If that doesn't happen and I become a lawyer, I'd love to teach to incoming law students after what will hopefully be a successful career. Either way, I end up teaching.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 02:47:15 PM »
Well, I plan on going to school for philosophy, then going to law school because being a modern day philosopher is risky business. If shit gets better in the next 6 years, I'll get my degree, masters, and PhD in philosophy and teach at a university. If that doesn't happen and I become a lawyer, I'd love to teach to incoming law students after what will hopefully be a successful career. Either way, I end up teaching.
My younger brother did his undergrad in Philosophy with a minor in theology, but he became a pastor, which is sort of like a professional philosopher in a sense.  One of my roommates in college also did the same thing.  I would love to have done a PhD in English to teach at the university level, but it just wasn't quite feasible economically or from a time-commitment standpoint.  Maybe one day.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 02:48:04 PM »
Yeah, one of my life goals is to get a PhD.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 02:51:04 PM »
Let me advise you, then: go straight through.  Undergrad, Master's, PhD.  Don't take any breaks.  If you take time off life can start to get in the way, so to speak (or at least it did with me).  Maybe others who have actually completed PhDs will disagree, but that's how I see it.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 03:14:40 PM »
Oh yeah, totally understandable. If shit gets better for dudes with their PhDs in philosophy, that's what I'll do.

Kosmo

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2011, 04:30:58 PM »
I had a teacher..Once...

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2011, 04:43:52 PM »
I don't have any formal training in education, so I'm scared as hell to start.  Advice?

Neither did most of your college professors.  I find teaching either comes naturally or it doesn't.  It's easy for me at the university level because I can for the most part be myself, let an F-bomb slip occasionally, and be enthusiastic for my subject.  Show them the way you learned things when it worked for you, and know alternative methods as back up.

My advice to you is do the same, minus the F-bombs since you'll be in a church.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 06:50:30 PM »
I've landed a job in church music that includes teaching music in the attached grade school. It's K-8 and about 6 hours of classroom time every week.  I don't have any formal training in education, so I'm scared as hell to start.  Advice?

Do you want to borrow some of my textbooks/worksheets if you make it back to your folks' before you start?  I'll lend them to you.  Do you have a book series or a curriculum?  Vanessa has a TON of K-6 stuff she would be happy to burn for you and I have a ton of middle school general music and choir stuff as well.

In other news, I'm STILL waiting to hear back from my job.  It's been 3 weeks now.  Vanessa waited this long before they got back to her.  I was thinking about calling them tomorrow.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 06:51:52 PM »
After I get my masters, I was considering getting into teaching like Psych 101 or something at a community college.

But I know nothing about teaching and how to get jobs in it. Advise is not only welcomed but mandated.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 06:55:04 PM »
idk im goin be a french teacher at some point so i guess i qualify for this thread
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 07:13:21 PM »
I intend to go to a strong musical college to major in composition/performance, and then get the necessitate education to be able to teach at a high school level.

My dream job is to be an HS band director.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 08:04:05 PM »
After I get my masters, I was considering getting into teaching like Psych 101 or something at a community college.

But I know nothing about teaching and how to get jobs in it. Advise is not only welcomed but mandated.

While working on your masters, you should see if they have any TA positions open.  On the job training right there.

As for teaching college, on some levels its probably easier to manage the class because you'll deal with less troublemakers and you generally have to give a sylabus at the beginning of the semester so the administrative part is less and handled up front.

Since college students are generally more motivated, you can give less or no homework, which just leaves writing/grading quizzes, and maybe the occasional essay/presentation (don't deal with those in chemistry often).

In short, there's a good reason that you almost always need a degree in education to teach primary/secondary and don't to teach college.  Most of it at the college level is being a good communicator, connecting with your students to make the material relavent and interesting, and knowing the material.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 08:09:07 PM »
I intend to go to a strong musical college to major in composition/performance, and then get the necessitate education to be able to teach at a high school level.

Where are you looking?

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 08:10:16 PM »

Where are you looking?

Probably Berklee School of Music or University of North Texas

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 08:15:22 PM »

While working on your masters, you should see if they have any TA positions open.  On the job training right there.

As for teaching college, on some levels its probably easier to manage the class because you'll deal with less troublemakers and you generally have to give a sylabus at the beginning of the semester so the administrative part is less and handled up front.

Since college students are generally more motivated, you can give less or no homework, which just leaves writing/grading quizzes, and maybe the occasional essay/presentation (don't deal with those in chemistry often).

In short, there's a good reason that you almost always need a degree in education to teach primary/secondary and don't to teach college.  Most of it at the college level is being a good communicator, connecting with your students to make the material relavent and interesting, and knowing the material.

...which is why I want to teach college. :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2011, 08:24:55 PM »
BTW, lecture prep is much more work than you realize.  You may remember the videos I posted of myself giving a lecture (no one got past the second one  :'( )  I put a lot of time into that and I didn't have to learn anything b/c I already knew the material.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2011, 06:33:30 PM »
I'm fine with lecture prep. I actually like the work it entails because it makes me think about how I would explain it to others so that it makes sense.

Now, I may take that back once I am teaching a lot. I dunno, I asked some people I know who taught/teach math in their first year, they said it's easy if you know your stuff.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
Knowing your stuff and being able to teach it are two different things.  I know a few American grad students who can't teach a lick.  If they're foreign you can always play the language card.  Some people got it, some people don't.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 07:09:29 PM »
I agree. I'm just saying I like preparing it...I also like teaching it. Probably why I chose teaching, it feels natural to me. :lol

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2011, 08:16:11 PM »
Oh hai guyz... I finally got a job interview for a middle school ELA position.  It will be my first ever education interview.  Any protips from people with experience?

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2011, 09:26:08 AM »
Oh hai guyz... I finally got a job interview for a middle school ELA position.  It will be my first ever education interview.  Any protips from people with experience?

Show confidence, indicate that your past experiences have built you to who you are, and will build you to become better... and NEVER ASSUME.

On a related note, do you think it's professional to call a principal 2 weeks after you already did, which would make it 3 weeks after a 2nd interview?  I plan on calling today, but I don't want to seem imposing or bothersome... although you would think they would have contacted me by now, and everything looked like it was going my way...

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2011, 10:24:53 AM »
I taught 7 college level courses as an adjunct.  One was a master's level course at Shippensburg University where I got my masters.  The rest was a Central Pennsylvania College.  I got the Central Penn job because I worked with someone else that was teaching as an adjunct and hooked me up.  There needed someone to teach a Web Design class desperately.  I taught that class before I walked in my graduation. 

I quit teaching a couple years ago because it just didn't pay enough and it was too much work!  I also had a frustrating run in with a couple of students that cheated on the final.  I was leading a Cub Scout pack at the time and leading my church's praise team.  It was too much while still working a full time job.

However, that experience really helped me with my current soft skills and ability to communicate.  You really have to have your crap together to stand in front of paying students and give a 3 hour lecture.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2011, 08:51:55 PM »
FUCKING OWNED MY CAPSTONE TODAY!!!

And now have a Master's Degree.

Now I just need a job!