Author Topic: The (Original) Majesty Demos Appreciation Thread  (Read 2688 times)

Offline The Letter M

The (Original) Majesty Demos Appreciation Thread
« on: July 06, 2011, 07:17:31 PM »
So I've been listening to DT a lot lately (due to the recent online release of "On The Backs Of Angels" and the new tour) and I'm currently listening to the original 6-track Majesty Demos.

For a band of 19 year olds, this is pretty good stuff! How often do 5 college-kids come together to write music like this and then move on to bigger and better things? Not very often, and this music is a great look back into what the band was in their embryonic days. There's a certain rough rawness that really gives the music character, and you can hear their influences if you are familiar with them enough.

The songs range from good to great, nothing truly jaw-dropping compared to things they'd do over the next decade, but for what it was worth, it's still pretty good. I think "A Vision" is pretty solid, and "Another Won" is a solid opener. There's some tasty JP solos and KM's keyboard work is pretty amazing considering his most-likely-limited equipment, and JM gets a LOT of lead-bass in the music (with some awesome subtle bass work like in the first verse of "Vital Star"), something that I sort of miss! And MP's drumming is solid and he definitely wears his Neil Peart influence on his sleeve. As for Chris Collins... well, he does his Tate-impressions and shows where the band would be going with Charlie and eventually James, and gives the band it's unique sound of metal vocals on top of prog rock.

So for fans of the band's beginnings, appreciate!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
Re: The (Original) Majesty Demos Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 07:19:48 PM »
Aside from "A Vision" I think there's a lot to like on the demos. Another Won is obviously much better on Score, but overall if one can get past the shoddy production, the music was enthusiastic and fun.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 07:24:57 PM »
I'm somewhat a fan of "Two Far."  Not as much as Another Won, but I'd love to hear them play it, even though that would probably never happen.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 07:25:51 PM »
the gift we bring, your majestey.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 07:28:19 PM »
I liked YYZ, it's one of the best instrumentals they ever wrote.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 09:06:17 PM »
YYZ is not on the Majesty Demos.  It's part of the Berklee Demos and was a Rush cover.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 09:31:19 PM »
YYZ is not on the Majesty Demos.  It's part of the Berklee Demos and was a Rush cover.
I know it was a Rush cover, it was a joke. And the Majesty Demos re-release had the Berklee Demos included on it. I hadn't realized that this thread explicitly excluded those.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 09:31:36 PM »
For their time and place, the Majesty Demos are damn impressive.  Granted, it basically sounds like a bunch of teenagers saying "We wanna be just like Rush!" but if you look beyond that obvious influence, the musicianship and even the songwriting is very noteworthy considering the age and inexperience of the members at the time, plus there are actually a surprising number of unique little hints at what was to come later in the band's career.  I like Two Far in particular, very catchy and memorable song, and Kevin Moore's keyboard solo on this track owns all.  Another Won and Your Majesty are also damn good, but the whole thing is a lot of fun to listen to.

BTW, check out the versions of Cry for Freedom and Resurrection of Ernie on the WDADU demos.  Both of those songs are from that era, and both are rather cool.  I have heard there are live bootlegs of CFF with Chris Collins singing, but I have yet to track one down.  

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 02:32:53 AM »
I've listened to it a few times, but I find it pretty meh. Another Won is a decent song though.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 05:47:05 AM »
Two Far is amazing song

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 07:45:59 AM »
As a fan of high vocals in general, I'm probably one of the few people on this forum who actually really likes Chris Collins' vocals. I really prefer him to Dominici, who struggled with the higher stuff. The songwriting on the demos isn't good by DT standards, but it's still pretty good for 80's metal. The production isn't much, of course, but it's an enjoyable listen overall.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.