Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 450820 times)

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
Re: All Star wars Disscussion Thread
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 12:41:55 PM »
:lol

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2009, 12:43:49 PM »
jar jar i dont like
\

and about the force unleashed video game. im darth vaders apprentice but i cant beat a level where droids are attacking me.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2009, 01:44:37 PM »
Well shit on an Ewok, I just finished typing up a giant post and my computer fucks up.  I'll condense.

Love Star Wars.

Look at this nerdy picture:

Here's how I rank 'em:

Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back
Revenge of the Sith
Return of the Jedi
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2009, 02:24:50 PM »
For a boy like me born in 1976, I am not sure any other experience can match growing up with the SW universe: Movies, toys, books, etc…

Eps will always be important movies to me, even if I don’t watch them again for many years. I could put any of them in the DVD player at any time and enjoy them as much as did as a kid.

I for one like AotC a lot more than other fans seem to. I remember being glad when I saw it the first time that things were happening. Whether or not they were important or silly didn’t matter. It just felt like in TPM not a whole lot was happening.  I also overlook its flaws and really like RotS. That was the experience I was waiting for when I first heard the prequels would be made. Whoever said above that Eps 1-3 were as a whole arc better than they were as individual movies makes an interesting point.

In some interview where a bunch of people are analytically breaking down the SW phenomenon, Bill Moyers says something like “it’s just fun watching a Star Wars movie” and that is really what it is all about.

I only wish sometimes I was old enough to remember seeing Eps 4-6 in the theater during their initial runs.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2009, 02:28:32 PM »
revenge of the sith is the best star wars movie. i always hear empire but i like revenge of the sith better

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2009, 02:31:24 PM »
revenge of the sith is the best star wars movie. i always hear empire but i like revenge of the sith better
Yeah, I'm a fan of stiff acting and corny/forced love lines as well.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2009, 02:39:40 PM »

whats wrong with the acting And love lines(thoe im not a fan of love)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2009, 02:54:11 PM »
Sith (Overrated. So much stupidity in this movie)

explain the stupidity

- The opening Dogfight sequence.
 - Jets in R2-D2, which creates the problem of why, in the context of the internal logic of the movies, he never did it in the original trilogy.
 - I guess I can buy Anakin killing Dooku, but I dunno. That scene just felt really forced.
 - The cheesy stupid love scenes between Anakin and Padme. "Hold me Ani, like you did on Naboo."
 - Anakin's trip to the dark side beginning in earnest because he thinks Padme will die. This almost makes sense except (a) It shows how little he really gives a shit about the Jedi Order, which I could buy except (b) Because of shitty filmmaking on Lucas's part, I still have no reason to believe he would be such an idiot because of her. Han Solo might sell out a rebel base or something to protect Leia. I can't imagine Anakin revealing where he hides his secret stash of stuffed animals to save Padme.
 - The big action sequence with Obi-Wan in the big temple thing was just too silly. I don't even remember what it had to do with the plot, other than a big fight with General Grievous which has no impact if you didn't see the Clone Wars cartoon, and I didn't. Such an astoundingly stupid name too.
 - ONE SCENE makes Anakin convert to the dark side. ONE FUCKING SCENE. BULLSHIT! And also, "I now name you, Darth Vader." Uuuugggghhhhh
 - Because he converts to the dark side in one scene, everything Anakin does as a Sith Lord has no motivation. Like killing little children.
 - I guess Padme and Obi-Wan's scenes don't such, but they're kind of boring.
 - Anakin force choking Padme completely defeats the only shred of motivation his character had going for him. I guess it makes sense that he's all pissed off and full of rage and blah blah blah. But I just thought the scene was fucking stupid as I saw it.
 - One thing I'll give Lucas credit for. Anakin telling Padme they can rule the galaxy together echoes him telling Luke the same thing in Empire.
 - Obi Wan defeats Anakin because of HIGHER GROUND?
 - Obi Wan not killing Anakin makes sense on the surface, but when you think a bit, it might be the worst piece of writing in all of Star Wars. If Obi-Wan truly loves him, why would he let him suffer? Obi-Wan's character throughout the entire rest of the saga isn't portrayed as cowardly, but Lucas chooses this moment to make him a pussy. Sorry, I am not buying it. Watching the other movies in the trilogy, both before and after, there's no reason to believe he would do this. Attack of the Clones has a lot of stupidity, but Obi-Wan not going back to save Padme makes sense, and it's a huge moment of his trust with Anakin being hurt. But this leaving Anakin to suffer and die on the molten lava world shit doesn't fly.
 - Something I will give credit to Lucas on. Anakin's suit being built was acceptably gruesome and not a letdown. Like, it doesn't make the vader suit less interesting by seeing how it's built.
 - R2 knowing so much shit about Anakin Skywalker and his children that he never chooses to talk about. It makes him look like a tool in episodes IV-VI. Why wouldn't they wipe his memory anyway.
 - The Death Star being built at the end of the movie. There's no way it should have taken the Empire 20-30 years or whatever to build it, considering how fast they can churn out Star Destroyers. Even so, I might buy it except the second Death Star in Jedi was built so quickly.
 - NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! It's just too lame (There's also a bad quote at the end with Vader similar to what I wrote. Except there'd be more "O"s.)
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2009, 03:01:43 PM »
well he was kind of forced to kill dooku. palpatine has him kill dooku so that he would have a new apprentice

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2009, 03:07:01 PM »

How old are you again? I'm not joking; it's a serious question. When I was younger I didn't know/care about good acting. But yeah, it pretty much sounds like Hayden and Portman are reading their lines directly from the script for the first time while doing their best impression of a vulcan.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2009, 03:09:08 PM »

How old are you again? I'm not joking; it's a serious question. When I was younger I didn't know/care about good acting. But yeah, it pretty much sounds like Hayden and Portman are reading their lines directly from the script for the first time while doing their best impression of a vulcan.

agreed. but better than the previous 2 imo.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2009, 03:10:23 PM »

agreed. but better than the previous 2 imo.
Hmm, yeah. The only thing I really hated about Ep 1. was Jake Lloyd. I never understood all the hate for it. Despite all their flaws, I might even like 2 and 3 more if it weren't for Hayden Christensen.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2009, 03:13:48 PM »
The prequels have Natalie Portman. That is a huuuuuge plus point. They still are worse then the originals though. (Although I like ep. 3)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2009, 03:15:38 PM »
I personally liked the Anakin turning scene.  Palpatine was fantastic there especially.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline j

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2009, 03:24:17 PM »
(im not a fan of love)

That made me  :lol.

Revenge of the Sith is by far the best of the prequels, I think.  But ReaPsTA's criticisms are legit, and I could add a few more of my own.

As for the originals, I actually prefer both Return of the Jedi and A New Hope to The Empire Strikes Back.

-J

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2009, 05:39:21 PM »
I personally liked the Anakin turning scene.  Palpatine was fantastic there especially.

Ian McDiarmid puts on an acting clinic every time he's in the prequels. But good performance can't save shitty plotting and character development.
Over and over again

Offline Dunns Beard

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2009, 06:02:35 PM »
Anakin: "You are so beautiful."
Padme: "It's only because I'm so in love."
Anakin: "No, it's because I'm so in love with you."
Padme: "So love has blinded you?"
Anakin: "Well that's not exactly what I meant."
Padme: "It's probably true."

Worst. Dialogue. Ever....in a pretty cool film.

Anyone remember the "...reasons to hate Star Wars" site, that was some funny stuff.
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honour of a critic."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2009, 06:08:07 PM »
I dunno, I always thought the last couple lines in that dialogue were somewhat amusing.  The delivery just sucked.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2009, 08:24:36 PM »
I thought the acting was slightly better in Sith. Maybe still not all that good, but enough to not be distracting me, which, in a film like Star Wars, is all I really care about.

As people have said, the films have shining examples of bad acting, but also of very good acting. Palpatine has been mentioned, but I REALLY enjoyed McGregor's Obi Wan.

And as I've said a million times before, I love how everyone jumps at an opportunity to pick apart the prequels, but I don't think I've ever seen a Star Wars fan mention the at times shitty acting, terrible dialogue, crappy plot etc that is sprinkled right throughout the originals as well. Cos they're made of gold, of course.

I would do it myself just for the sake of a little exercise, but I'm not a Star Wars fanboy so I have no real desire to go out and watch movies I didn't like very much all over again. And it'd be a terrible waste of time.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2009, 12:32:30 AM »
Anyone seen Fanboys?
I saw it a week ago and loved it!
Its gotten shit reviews, but as a huge Star Wars nerd, it was golden.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2009, 03:05:18 AM »
Anyone seen Fanboys?
I saw it a week ago and loved it!
Its gotten shit reviews, but as a huge Star Wars nerd, it was golden.

just put it on top of my netflix queue, jsut watched the trailer and cant believe some of the faces in it, and seth rogen looks totally fuckin weird, haha.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2009, 08:00:10 AM »
He plays two characters in that movie actually, but yeah, his Trekkie character is really weird looking.  :lol

Also, I'm gonna be "that guy" who steps in and defends the actors who played Anakin.  I think Jake Lloyd did a great job of just being a little kid.  Taking into account the other two finalists for the part, he blew them away.  Keep in mind that thousands of children were auditioned for the role.  As far as Hayden Christensen, he'll never be great, but I think he was okay, all things considered.  He didn't have the benefit of having a character from the previous films to base his character on to the extent that McGregor did.  And when you think about it, Vader was never the most articulate guy.  He basically just had to work with the script he was given and the sometimes questionable direction.  In Attack of the Clones especially, Lucas went for the really old, swashbuckling type of Flash Gordon kind of dialog that I'm not sure a lot of people got.  How well it was pulled off is another story altogether, but it was certainly in a different style than we're used to. 

About the droid factory scene, yeah, it was actually added into the movie during pick up shoots to put more action in.  I've thought about "special-editionesque" changes that could be made to make that movie a little tighter, and it's the biggest challenge of all 6.  It's already the longest movie of all 6, and I think some of the deleted scenes have to be added to make it 'better'.  The droid factory is the only scene that strikes me as begging to be taken out completely, due in no small part to 3PO's part in it.  Other than that, only little things can be taken out, like Jango talking to Zam and handing her the bugs.  I think the film would benefit from re-inserting deleted Anakin and Padme scenes, so that they have more screen time together, as well as putting in as much Dooku as possible.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2009, 08:05:03 AM »
About the droid factory scene, yeah, it was actually added into the movie during pick up shoots to put more action in.  I've thought about "special-editionesque" changes that could be made to make that movie a little tighter, and it's the biggest challenge of all 6.  It's already the longest movie of all 6, and I think some of the deleted scenes have to be added to make it 'better'.  The droid factory is the only scene that strikes me as begging to be taken out completely, due in no small part to 3PO's part in it.  Other than that, only little things can be taken out, like Jango talking to Zam and handing her the bugs.  I think the film would benefit from re-inserting deleted Anakin and Padme scenes, so that they have more screen time together, as well as putting in as much Dooku as possible.

I remember reading rumors of some stuff left on the cutting room floor about Mace (and possibly Ki-Adi Mundi (sp?)) taking out a droid control ship during the final battle.  Now whether this was left in the script stage or what, I dunno.  Anyone hear about any of that?

Hahah, what I do remember is the announced Nsync cameo . . .

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2009, 08:06:49 AM »

I remember reading rumors of some stuff left on the cutting room floor about Mace (and possibly Ki-Adi Mundi (sp?)) taking out a droid control ship during the final battle.  Now whether this was left in the script stage or what, I dunno.  Anyone hear about any of that?

Hahah, what I do remember is the announced Nsync cameo . . .

Yeah, I think some of that was actually filmed, but never completed.  And NSYNC was filmed as well.  There is even a rumor that the Jedi that throws Obi-Wan and Anakin their lightsabers is Joey Fatone, but I can't really tell.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2009, 08:12:00 AM »
Yeah, apparently there was such an uproar from the fans, Lucas decided to cut it.  Good times.

Also, I probably would've blind bought Fanboys (Veronica Mars in slave Leia gear?  I'm there!) but there was no BR release in the states.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2009, 08:21:52 AM »
I have never seen Star Wars

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2009, 08:54:10 AM »
Yeah, apparently there was such an uproar from the fans, Lucas decided to cut it.  Good times.

Also, I probably would've blind bought Fanboys (Veronica Mars in slave Leia gear?  I'm there!) but there was no BR release in the states.

Well, that's only a very small part of the movie, and I actually watched it with my friend that went to high school with her.  :lol

I liked that the DVD was released on the 10th anniversary of when The Phantom Menace was released.  A very fitting tribute.

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2009, 09:29:51 AM »

How old are you again? I'm not joking; it's a serious question.

i am 16
17 in august and even more then a shock to you guys i will be a senior with out having failed a single year of school.
actually theirs nothing wrong with the love lines in the movie because padmaes and anakins love is actually real.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2009, 09:43:37 AM »

How old are you again? I'm not joking; it's a serious question.

i am 16
17 in august and even more then a shock to you guys i will be a senior with out having failed a single year of school.
actually theirs nothing wrong with the love lines in the movie because padmaes and anakins love is actually real.

Ok, Revenge of the Sith is my favourite film of the series as well, but I love all of the movies.
But Wrath, don't defend your liking of a movie or explain why you like it better if you are going to post phrases like "padmaes and anakins love is actually real."
What the hell is that supposed to mean? Have people been saying that their love is fake?
Don't state stuff like that as fact, when its your OPINION! Other people don't like the love lines, but you do. End of story. Drop it. NAO!

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2009, 09:48:06 AM »
heres proboly the best idea i have ever had here. act like the 3 previous posts od mine never exsisted

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2009, 09:49:20 AM »
Sith (Overrated. So much stupidity in this movie)

explain the stupidity

- The opening Dogfight sequence.
 - Jets in R2-D2, which creates the problem of why, in the context of the internal logic of the movies, he never did it in the original trilogy.
 - I guess I can buy Anakin killing Dooku, but I dunno. That scene just felt really forced.
 - The cheesy stupid love scenes between Anakin and Padme. "Hold me Ani, like you did on Naboo."
 - Anakin's trip to the dark side beginning in earnest because he thinks Padme will die. This almost makes sense except (a) It shows how little he really gives a shit about the Jedi Order, which I could buy except (b) Because of shitty filmmaking on Lucas's part, I still have no reason to believe he would be such an idiot because of her. Han Solo might sell out a rebel base or something to protect Leia. I can't imagine Anakin revealing where he hides his secret stash of stuffed animals to save Padme.
 - The big action sequence with Obi-Wan in the big temple thing was just too silly. I don't even remember what it had to do with the plot, other than a big fight with General Grievous which has no impact if you didn't see the Clone Wars cartoon, and I didn't. Such an astoundingly stupid name too.
 - ONE SCENE makes Anakin convert to the dark side. ONE FUCKING SCENE. BULLSHIT! And also, "I now name you, Darth Vader." Uuuugggghhhhh
 - Because he converts to the dark side in one scene, everything Anakin does as a Sith Lord has no motivation. Like killing little children.
 - I guess Padme and Obi-Wan's scenes don't such, but they're kind of boring.
 - Anakin force choking Padme completely defeats the only shred of motivation his character had going for him. I guess it makes sense that he's all pissed off and full of rage and blah blah blah. But I just thought the scene was fucking stupid as I saw it.
 - One thing I'll give Lucas credit for. Anakin telling Padme they can rule the galaxy together echoes him telling Luke the same thing in Empire.
 - Obi Wan defeats Anakin because of HIGHER GROUND?
 - Obi Wan not killing Anakin makes sense on the surface, but when you think a bit, it might be the worst piece of writing in all of Star Wars. If Obi-Wan truly loves him, why would he let him suffer? Obi-Wan's character throughout the entire rest of the saga isn't portrayed as cowardly, but Lucas chooses this moment to make him a pussy. Sorry, I am not buying it. Watching the other movies in the trilogy, both before and after, there's no reason to believe he would do this. Attack of the Clones has a lot of stupidity, but Obi-Wan not going back to save Padme makes sense, and it's a huge moment of his trust with Anakin being hurt. But this leaving Anakin to suffer and die on the molten lava world shit doesn't fly.
 - Something I will give credit to Lucas on. Anakin's suit being built was acceptably gruesome and not a letdown. Like, it doesn't make the vader suit less interesting by seeing how it's built.
 - R2 knowing so much shit about Anakin Skywalker and his children that he never chooses to talk about. It makes him look like a tool in episodes IV-VI. Why wouldn't they wipe his memory anyway.
 - The Death Star being built at the end of the movie. There's no way it should have taken the Empire 20-30 years or whatever to build it, considering how fast they can churn out Star Destroyers. Even so, I might buy it except the second Death Star in Jedi was built so quickly.
 - NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! It's just too lame (There's also a bad quote at the end with Vader similar to what I wrote. Except there'd be more "O"s.)
I agree with all this and then some.  I still think it's the best of the three by far, but it's a mess in many ways.  And it's hugely disappointing to me.  For two decades, we saw Vader as the epitome of evil bad guys.  And now Lucas is going to portray him as such a tragic figure; brilliant, I fucking love it. Yet while there was the potential for so much pathos and tragedy here, he makes Anakin's fatal flaw that he's a dumbass and an emotional tard.  That doesn't cut it for me.  I stand by my position that the overall story is damn near a masterpiece, but Lucas' telling of it is just heartbreakingly miserable. 

Oh, and an important addition to Repsta's list
-She died of a broken heart. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2009, 09:50:38 AM »
heres proboly the best idea i have ever had here. act like the 3 previous posts od mine never exsisted

Best idea ive seen in a while.
By the way, edit the spelling of "discussion" on the thread title.

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2009, 11:34:39 AM »
The force unleashed

i dont care how big the droid is if im vaders apprentice i shall be able to beat it. its all thoes combos you gotta do know. i heard that in old video games you just had to beat up the guy and you move on if you win .

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2009, 12:36:06 PM »
I think it's funny how many people have a problem with how fast Anakin fell but not how fast he turned good again.  In both cases, it wasn't one scene that completely tipped the scale from one side to the other, there is a lot of build up.

And I always viewed Padme dying as part of a symbiance with Anakin.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2009, 01:13:56 PM »
Oh, and an important addition to Repsta's list
-She died of a broken heart.  

I CANNOT BELIEVE I forgot to add that. She had children. Her will to live is not in danger of being extinguished by that idiot Anakin. Maybe the stupidest thing in all three prequel movies, especially how she names them before she dies. Anakin should have actually force choked her to death. That would have actually meant something emotionally in the story.

Which also makes me ask another question, how did the Emperor know he force choked her? Were there security cameras he was watching on? In that case, wouldn't he have heard Anakin talking about how he would rule the Empire with Padme?

Thinking about that movie is too hard.
Over and over again