Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 450832 times)

Offline Wrath42147

Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One
« on: June 24, 2009, 11:17:04 AM »
All star wars. about the movies or things that arent in the movies. their is more to the star wars world then just the six movies.

https://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 10:10:26 AM by ariich »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: All Star wars Disscussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 11:26:51 AM »
Perhaps first you should capitalize "wars" in your thread.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Serpentor

• I am faster than 80% of all snakes
  • DT.net Member
  • I don't want a large Farva, I want a liter of cola
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 11:41:35 AM »
Star Wars, Nothing But Star Wars
Give Me those Star Wars
Don't let them end

Oh Star Wars
If they should bar wars
Please let these Star Wars stay

And hey!
How bout that nutty Star Wars bar
Can you forget all the creatures in there

And Hey!
Darth Vader in that black and evil mask
Did he scare you as much as he scared me
Dear Santa,
Please kill Icy for Christmas.

Love,

Everyone

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 11:45:41 AM »
episode 3 - revenge of the sith
episode 6 - return of the jedi
episode 5 - the emprie strikes back
episode 4 - a new hope
episode 2 - attack of the clones
Episode 1 - the phantom menace

Offline Serpentor

• DT.net Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 11:47:18 AM »
that's great.  not sure why it says weird al at the top...

Rankings
1.Empire
2.Revenge of the Sith
3.Return of the Jedi
4.Attack of the Clones
5.A New Hope
6.Phantom Menace
Dear Santa,

Love,

Everyone

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 11:48:44 AM »
that's great.  not sure why it says weird al at the top...

Rankings
1.Empire
2.Return of the Jedi
3.Revenge of the Sith
4.A New Hope
5.Attack of the Clones
6.Phantom Menace

fixed

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 03:11:41 PM »
I was tempted to come here and simply say "Star Trek is better" and watch what happened.

But Star Wars is good too. Haven't read any of the books, but I liked most of the movies. Empire is still one the greatest movies I have ever seen, and the philosophy behind some of the original trilogy is still incredible.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 03:24:34 PM »
The Expanded Universe books suck for the most part, but there are a few gems here and there.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 03:48:21 PM »
watch all 6 of them every couple weeks now that i live alone in a boring city.

The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
A New Hope
Revenge of the Sith
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 04:54:18 PM »
The Expanded Universe books suck for the most part, but there are a few gems here and there.
New Jedi Order is awesome.

Offline staveoffzombies

• Mostly Harmless
  • Oversized hats are cute.
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 04:55:11 PM »
I was tempted to come here and simply say "Star Trek is better" and watch what happened.

I would then come in and agree with you.  ;D

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 05:07:37 PM »
Man, I've been obsessed with Star Wars lately, for no reason at all. Watched all six movies back to back to back a couple weeks ago... I must say, while The Phantom Menace is pretty boring (save the ending for obvious reasons), and Attack Of The Clones would be a great movie if there was an option to just turn the dialogue off and only have John Williams' score, Revenge Of The Sith is legitimately a fantastic experience from start to finish. For six reasons:

1. The scene with Anakin and Palpatin at the opera. Very simple scene, just Palpatine telling Anakin a story. But brilliantly acted, and so much awesome foreshadowing.
2. That one scene where Anakin and Padme are looking at each other across the Coruscant sunset, with no sound or music whatsoever, right before Anakin goes and Makes His Choice. Beautiful.
3. Order 66. No elaboration needed
4. Related to Order 66, the scene where Anakin and the 501st invade the Jedi Temple and kill everyone, including the younguns. Brutal.
5. The Palpatine/Yoda fight, simultaneously with the Obi-Wan/Anakin fight, with the Duel Of The Fates and Battle Of The Heroes themes going full bore behind them. Epic.
6. Finally, the gradual appearance of various OT elements towards the end of the movie. The prequels took awhile but they finally started feeling like Star Wars movies.

ROTS is not without its flaws, of course, but it does so much right that I'm willing (in this instance) to overlook them.

That said, Empire Strikes Back is easily the best of the series, but that goes without saying.

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 05:32:50 PM »
Man, I've been obsessed with Star Wars lately, for no reason at all. Watched all six movies back to back to back a couple weeks ago... I must say, while The Phantom Menace is pretty boring (save the ending for obvious reasons), and Attack Of The Clones would be a great movie if there was an option to just turn the dialogue off and only have John Williams' score, Revenge Of The Sith is legitimately a fantastic experience from start to finish. For six reasons:

1. The scene with Anakin and Palpatin at the opera. Very simple scene, just Palpatine telling Anakin a story. But brilliantly acted, and so much awesome foreshadowing.
2. That one scene where Anakin and Padme are looking at each other across the Coruscant sunset, with no sound or music whatsoever, right before Anakin goes and Makes His Choice. Beautiful.
3. Order 66. No elaboration needed
4. Related to Order 66, the scene where Anakin and the 501st invade the Jedi Temple and kill everyone, including the younguns. Brutal.
5. The Palpatine/Yoda fight, simultaneously with the Obi-Wan/Anakin fight, with the Duel Of The Fates and Battle Of The Heroes themes going full bore behind them. Epic.
6. Finally, the gradual appearance of various OT elements towards the end of the movie. The prequels took awhile but they finally started feeling like Star Wars movies.

ROTS is not without its flaws, of course, but it does so much right that I'm willing (in this instance) to overlook them.

That said, Empire Strikes Back is easily the best of the series, but that goes without saying.

another great moment. fight between palpatine and windu and when anakin kills windu then he becomes vader

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 06:13:51 PM »
you cant use these.

but if i were in a band my band would be called order 66 or if there were only two members rule of two

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 01:41:00 AM »
New Hope
Empire
Jedi
Phantom Menace (seriously, it's at least watchable)
Sith (Overrated. So much stupidity in this movie)
Attack of the Clones (Uuuuuggggghhhhh)
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 03:58:01 AM »
Something something something darkside.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 04:06:07 AM »
I used to be HUGE into Star Wars... spent thousands of dollars on merchandise...

I kind of "grew" out of it. Don't get me wrong. The movies are timeless classics and I love them as much now as when I first saw them... but the whole collecting/having to know everything about Star Wars I'm not too much into anymore.

I saw ROTS when it came out at midnight, and when the toys came out a month earlier I was in line with my best friend at midnight at the local Toys R Us and then Wal-Mart.

My order:
1. ROTJ
2. ESB
3. ROTS
4. ANH
5. AOTC
6. TPM

I really did like ROTS... besides a few corny moments (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO) the movie kind of redeemed the prequel trilogy... and I had tears in my eyes during the closing scene... it brought everything full circle.

I haven't seen the movies in a year since I introduced my ex-girlfriend to the saga last summer before we went to see The Clone Wars (What an abortion that was...). I'll have to watch the movies again this summer. They really are my favorite movies of all time.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 04:07:37 AM »
Revenge of the Sith
Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Empire Strikes Back
New Hope
Return of the Jedi

I've brought this up many a time, but don't much like the older ones. Really like 1 and 3.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 04:10:40 AM »
Revenge of the Sith
Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Empire Strikes Back
New Hope
Return of the Jedi

I've brought this up many a time, but don't much like the older ones. Really like 1 and 3.

What order did you see them in?

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 04:26:49 AM »
I saw the old ones one time through when I was something between 8 and 11. Didn't completely fall in love with them, but I thought they were pretty good.

Saw the new ones.

Saw the old ones again next time they came on TV, maybe a year after Sith.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 04:29:31 AM »
I saw the old ones one time through when I was something between 8 and 11. Didn't completely fall in love with them, but I thought they were pretty good.

Saw the new ones.

Saw the old ones again next time they came on TV, maybe a year after Sith.

Interesting. I saw the films when I was six in the movie theaters. I thought it was the greatest thing in the world at the time.  :P I liked the prequels too, but as I grew up a little bit (TPM came out when I was still only 9) I realized that it was targeted way too much to a younger audience, while the original saga was targeted toward the whole family, not just little kids.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 04:40:48 AM »
I think the films are still aimed at a family audience overall. In TPM in particular though, there are moments and aspects that are far more obviously child-orientated than anywhere in the old ones, a few very blatantly so.

Offline Serpentor

• DT.net Member
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 05:02:40 AM »

Ian McDiarmid really stole the movie I thought.  Looking back, I wish he was in Ep 2 a little more.  Despite some flaws in the prequels, I do really like them.  The whole backstory of Palpatine and his manipulations was really awesome.  I know EP 1-3 are about Vader, but I would have liked to seen more of Palpatine.

One other thing, we never got to see his royal guards fight in EP 6.  They were supposed to be some serious bad asses.....
Dear Santa,

Love,

Everyone

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 08:23:24 AM »
As a die-hard I'm very pleased to see this much positivity regarding the prequels and Revenge of the Sith in particular.

I don't have much to say besides these 6 films are my favorite of all time by far and that isn't likely to ever change.  I'm not excited about movies in general the way I used to be, just because I know nothing will ever be done on this scale ever again.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 09:04:35 AM »
I fucking love ROTS.  And I may not like the other prequel movies in and of themselves, but I'm a huge fan of the Old Republic era.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 09:28:30 AM »
I thought the prequels were nearly unwatchable individually.  Really just terrible.  However the three taken as a whole are remarkable.  George Lucas put together a fantastic story.  It's just the delivery was awful.

There's also an very unfortunate trend that Lucas has been integral in starting.  Many movies, and definitely all of the SW movies, have scenes that were put together specifically to make video games.  This annoys me greatly.  Wanna make a game about a movie?  Great.  Some of them wind up being pretty good.  But don't make me watch three different 10 minute sequences in your movie specifically to set up the game you're going to release.  The game should follow the movie. Not the other way around.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2009, 09:37:25 AM »

Ian McDiarmid really stole the movie I thought.  Looking back, I wish he was in Ep 2 a little more.  Despite some flaws in the prequels, I do really like them.  The whole backstory of Palpatine and his manipulations was really awesome.  I know EP 1-3 are about Vader, but I would have liked to seen more of Palpatine.

One other thing, we never got to see his royal guards fight in EP 6.  They were supposed to be some serious bad asses.....

I have complaints about the prequels, to be sure, but Ian McDiarmid's performance as Palpatine is not one of them. He was easily the most enjoyable part of the movies, and was clearly having a blast with the part. There's a quote from him on wikipedia I really like:

There's a moment in one scene of [Attack Of The Clones, after the attempt on Padme's life that opens the film] where tears almost appear in [Palpatine's] eye. These are crocodile tears, but for all those in the movie, and perhaps watching the movie itself, they'll see he is apparently moved — and of course, he is. He can just do it. He can, as it were, turn it on. And I suppose for him, it's also a bit of a turn-on — the pure exercise of power is what he's all about. That's the only thing he's interested in and the only thing that can satisfy him — which makes him completely fascinating to play, because it is an evil soul. He is more evil than the devil. At least Satan fell — he has a history, and it's one of revenge.[60]

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2009, 09:48:50 AM »
I thought the prequels were nearly unwatchable individually.  Really just terrible.  However the three taken as a whole are remarkable.  George Lucas put together a fantastic story.  It's just the delivery was awful.

There's also an very unfortunate trend that Lucas has been integral in starting.  Many movies, and definitely all of the SW movies, have scenes that were put together specifically to make video games.  This annoys me greatly.  Wanna make a game about a movie?  Great.  Some of them wind up being pretty good.  But don't make me watch three different 10 minute sequences in your movie specifically to set up the game you're going to release.  The game should follow the movie. Not the other way around.

The bit about videogames I don't quite see.  Which scenes are you talking about, exactly?

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 09:56:32 AM »
Sith (Overrated. So much stupidity in this movie)

explain the stupidity

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 11:23:53 AM »
What the phantom menace! your sig is huge!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 11:53:25 AM »
The bit about videogames I don't quite see.  Which scenes are you talking about, exactly?
The example that immediately jumps to mind is the chase through the droid factory.  Running down conveyor belts.  Jumping over obstacles.  Buckets of molten goo dropping down on you. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline j

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 12:00:51 PM »
I like Star Wars, but I gotta say that both of the kids who played Anakin (in the prequels) were nothing short of terrible.  Not that they were given great material to work with, but I'll be damned if they didn't almost single-handedly ruin the movies for me.  With a little help from Jar Jar.

-J

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 12:28:15 PM »
Empire is easily the best movie, followed by A New Hope and Jedi.

I have absolutely no interest in what happens before A New Hope. I used to love reading the post-ROTJ novels, but nothing about The Old Republic era grabs my attention, not the prequels, not the novels, not even games like KOTOR.

The bit about videogames I don't quite see.  Which scenes are you talking about, exactly?
The example that immediately jumps to mind is the chase through the droid factory.  Running down conveyor belts.  Jumping over obstacles.  Buckets of molten goo dropping down on you.  
I'd say that's just a videogame-influenced scene, not something that was designed to go in a game. I think the point of view that movies are being written around games is overly cynical.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 12:33:22 PM by Scurvy!Dreams »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 12:40:20 PM »
The example that immediately jumps to mind is the chase through the droid factory.  Running down conveyor belts.  Jumping over obstacles.  Buckets of molten goo dropping down on you. 
I'd say that's just a videogame-influenced scene, not something that was designed to go in a game. I think the point of view that movies are being written around games is overly cynical.
I suppose you're right.  I'm sure Lucas would never compromise his artistic integrity for the sake of merchandising. 
E.F. Benson