Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 450825 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #140 on: September 08, 2010, 05:01:12 PM »
The first time I saw it it was very powerful.

But repeated viewings have not helped its cause. Everytime I watch it I simply cannot get over how much I hate Anakin's character. Hate hate hate it.

Assuming you are talking about RotS, I would echo this. I felt pretty meh in the theater for my first showing of TPM. I was more in to AotC, mainly because I knew less about it going in, and felt it was a step up from TPM. But I was totally in to RotS from opening crawl till the credits. I don’t know if I would consider it ‘powerful’ but it was damn entertaining. Definitely the movie I’d been waiting for since Eps 1-3 were announced. But likewise, time has diminished my feelings toward it. I still think it’s a good film, but its flaws are much more apparent upon multiple viewings.

And I agree with your assessment of the Anakin character. I could get by without feeling sympathetic toward him. But I just don’t feel anything toward him.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #141 on: September 08, 2010, 05:02:30 PM »
Attack Of The Clones is easily the most forgettable of the bunch. What a terrible movie.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #142 on: September 08, 2010, 05:10:20 PM »
Episode 3 was awesome. I loved it. Its not as good as the OT, but I think it is easily the best of the prequels, and the ending was one of the most amazing cinema experiences I have ever had.

I was one of the nerds that waited outside for the very first showing at midnight.  :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #143 on: September 09, 2010, 01:54:07 AM »
ROTS makes the most structural sense out of the three prequels. With a better script and without Hayden Christensen it could have been a pretty good movie. Not great, a couple of the battle scenes are still too over the top, but it could have worked.

Unfortunately, the emotional moments in the actual film are still too clumsily handled. It's better than Attack of the Clones, some of the Anakin/Padme scenes actually feel like a real couple arguing, but Anakin's conversion to The Dark Side was completely wrong. Considering that's what the movie hinges on, I mean, it's game over from there.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #144 on: September 09, 2010, 04:39:24 AM »
ROTS makes the most structural sense out of the three prequels. With a better script and without Hayden Christensen it could have been a pretty good movie. Not great, a couple of the battle scenes are still too over the top, but it could have worked.

Unfortunately, the emotional moments in the actual film are still too clumsily handled. It's better than Attack of the Clones, some of the Anakin/Padme scenes actually feel like a real couple arguing, but Anakin's conversion to The Dark Side was completely wrong. Considering that's what the movie hinges on, I mean, it's game over from there.

It's the only movie where Lucas gave the fans what they wanted: the explanation of how Anakin became Darth Vader. He didn't do it perfectly, but at least he listened!

Offline Summers

« Reply #145 on: September 09, 2010, 07:03:43 AM »
Episode 1 should have started with Anakin already a young man and padawan to Obi-Wan.  And Padme shouldn't have been some high profile ex-queen senator.  She should have been some lowly waitress in some diner who Anakin has secret butt sex with every week or something in the room at the back of the kitchens during her lunch break. 

Getting awful crowded in my sky.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #146 on: September 09, 2010, 12:11:36 PM »
:(

Star Tours was my favorite ride as a kid. That whole ride made the trip to Disney so memorable for me. I mean the one in Disney World though, I've never been to Disney Land.

Whats happening to the Star Tours in Florida?

They're re-doing it, I guess.

Essentially. There's going to be three different tours, it'll be random tours, you can't choose. They are re-doing the Endor tour (which there was never really a tour of Endor in the first place....), and you'll also tour Tatooine and Alderaan. All i know is that the Tatooine tour will have podracing involved, since they showed a small sample of that tour at Celebration last summer. And the simulators are currently being taken out so that new, state of the art simulators will take the others ones place (shhh....it's not really a simulator....Disney magic!)

I'm really afraid of what the new one is going to be like.

Oh, it's going to be in 3D....

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #147 on: September 09, 2010, 12:44:21 PM »
Attack Of The Clones is easily the most forgettable of the bunch. What a terrible movie.

Except for the battle scene on the dust planet.  Especially when the battle begins with the green Twi-Lek charging the droids

This scene:

*chills*

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #148 on: September 09, 2010, 01:11:59 PM »
There was a dust planet? Oh, I forgot.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: September 09, 2010, 05:00:17 PM »

"It's so dense. Every image has so many things going on..."

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #150 on: September 09, 2010, 05:50:42 PM »
 :rollin
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #151 on: September 09, 2010, 08:59:38 PM »
im so lost  :|

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: September 10, 2010, 03:38:51 AM »
The only prequel trilogy movie I really like is RotS. Sure, it's not as good as the Original Trilogy, but I still enjoy watching it. TPM is utter crap and the only redeemable factor of Attack of the Clones is that you get to watch Natalie Portman half of the time.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #153 on: September 10, 2010, 03:41:26 AM »
So I noticed storm troopers totally suck in shooting blasters. In what possible way did the Empire train them so that they miss every single target?
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: September 10, 2010, 03:43:31 AM »
According to Ben Kenobi they shoot accurate.

"Only imperial stormtroopers are so precise'.

But then again, he was a senile old man.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #155 on: September 10, 2010, 03:53:09 AM »
So I noticed storm troopers totally suck in shooting blasters. In what possible way did the Empire train them so that they miss every single target?

If you start on the road on that discussion then the inevitable question comes up:

Why in a future of such advanced technologies are the armies still, mostly, fighting land based assaults?  (Unless there was some treaty or pact eliminating mass destruction weapons...)  

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #156 on: September 10, 2010, 03:57:10 AM »
Guys I have one cuestion, I got this Star Wars Episode IV poster, is there a way to know if it's legit and it's not from a guy who prints them and then sell them?

Regardless I got it for free and its not  a big deal but it would be nice to know.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #157 on: September 10, 2010, 04:06:17 AM »
Guys I have one cuestion, I got this Star Wars Episode IV poster, is there a way to know if it's legit and it's not from a guy who prints them and then sell them?

Regardless I got it for free and its not  a big deal but it would be nice to know.

If it rips in half in a straight line, it is legit.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #158 on: September 10, 2010, 04:16:20 AM »
Why in a future of such advanced technologies are the armies still, mostly, fighting land based assaults?  (Unless there was some treaty or pact eliminating mass destruction weapons...)  

Are we talking about in the prequels?

Because, I mean, look at it this way. Why do we fight anyone on land when we have an airforce capable of killing you in probably hundreds of ways? The actual taking and holding of territory and objectives instead of pure killing.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #159 on: September 10, 2010, 04:21:42 AM »

If it rips in half in a straight line, it is legit.
:vomitard:
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #160 on: September 10, 2010, 04:58:35 AM »
Yeah, I noticed so many science parts in Star Wars are flawed. Like how asteroids have same gravity as Earth, and there's the lightsaber. Well, this is fiction after all, and the movies are old.

If you start on the road on that discussion then the inevitable question comes up:

Why in a future of such advanced technologies are the armies still, mostly, fighting land based assaults?  (Unless there was some treaty or pact eliminating mass destruction weapons...) 
There's the Death Star, which destroyed like one anonymous planet. There's the Force, which, in mysterious ways, can block projectiles and make spacecrafts crash and stuff.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: September 10, 2010, 05:00:34 AM »
Alderaan isn't really anonymous.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #162 on: September 10, 2010, 05:23:36 AM »
Clone Wars cartoon resumes on the 17th.

Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: September 10, 2010, 05:29:55 AM »
I refuse to watch that. I also didn't watch the clone wars movie. I did see the cartoon series though.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #164 on: September 10, 2010, 07:59:47 AM »
I refuse to watch that. I also didn't watch the clone wars movie. I did see the cartoon series though.

you lost me Vox.
Do you watch the Clone Wars cartoon series or don't you?

Orginally I panned it....without even watching it......
It's actually VERY VERY GOOD.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #165 on: September 10, 2010, 10:22:21 PM »
The first season was very impressive most of the time, especially the episode "Rookies" which was all about the Troopers.  I still hate the fact that the show exists, and was transferred for a theater release.  I hate the idea that they created the character of Ahsoka, not only because she is annoying, but she makes no sense at all, completely shoehorned in there.  Also, Matt Lanter is not a very good Anakin.

The second season was split about 50/50 for me.  Too many lame episodes that focus on things like the spider guy (Trench), the Zillo beast, and they entered too much into the EU realm for my liking by including holocrons and the kaiburr crystal.  Boba Fett's arc was terrible, which is unfortunate because I was really looking forward to it.  I don't know why they decided to make him some innocent young boy. In most ways his arc on the show put him a few steps back from where he was in Episode II. 

The third season looks as though it is completely jumping the shark, though I will give it a shot.  Cad Bane originally seemed interesting because he had to come up with creative ways to fight the Jedi, but now they're giving him a lightsaber, which is beyond stupid.  Also they're introducing the Nightsisters (another really bad EU creation) and, because of the genius writers on the show, Darth Maul's brother.

Seriously.  He's Darth Maul but yellow and with longer horns.  And his name is Savage Oppress.  Seriously.

I'm glad George draws the line between his story and "everything else", but some stuff I just wish he wouldn't allow to be made.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: September 11, 2010, 07:56:12 PM »

you lost me Vox.
Do you watch the Clone Wars cartoon series or don't you?

Orginally I panned it....without even watching it......
It's actually VERY VERY GOOD.
There was a cartoon made around the time of the movie I think. It's not the same as the animated series and I don't think it's very well know. It's quite enjoyable though.

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #167 on: September 11, 2010, 09:02:01 PM »

It's not the future. It's a long time ago. In a galaxy far, far away.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #168 on: September 11, 2010, 09:19:37 PM »
The original animated Clone Wars cartoons are awesome.

Offline TL

« Reply #169 on: September 12, 2010, 05:00:31 PM »
They were trained to only fire warning shots at protagonists.

the only redeemable factor of Attack of the Clones is that you get to watch Natalie Portman half of the time.
Even having Natalie Portman on screen for a significant amount of time couldn't make these films salvageable for me. That's how bad they are.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #170 on: September 12, 2010, 05:29:59 PM »
I would have to agree that AotC was the worst SW movie, and yet as time goes on I've begun to feel as though TPM might be worse.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #171 on: September 12, 2010, 05:32:43 PM »
TPM had at least some memorable scenes (Pod racing, dual-lightsaber duel) which felt like Star Wars. AotC had practically nothing aside from that short Yoda thing at the end that looked ridiculous due to CGI and, well, that's not how Yoda is supposed to move.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: September 12, 2010, 06:04:23 PM »
I can't wait for Plinkett's review of ROTS.  He really knows his stuff about screen writing and how to draw an audience in.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #173 on: September 12, 2010, 10:27:36 PM »
I can't wait for Plinkett's review of ROTS.  He really knows his stuff about screen writing and how to draw an audience in.

I am going to go vomit forever.  :millahhhh

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #174 on: September 13, 2010, 01:34:04 AM »
I would have to agree that AotC was the worst SW movie, and yet as time goes on I've begun to feel as though TPM might be worse.

That's because TPM is nothing more than politcal bullshit aside from a few scenes worthy of action (the ending scene with all the fighting happening at once, the pod scene).