Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 450817 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One
« Reply #5285 on: September 12, 2017, 09:48:50 AM »
Rogue One was also pretty rife with references. It might just be a studio thing at this point.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5286 on: September 12, 2017, 09:52:32 AM »
JJ has been a derivative hack in everything I've seen from him, so I won't give him the benefit of the doubt here. :lol But hopefully slightly less of a derivative hack this time assuming TLJ sends it in a slightly different direction.

Rogue One was also pretty rife with references. It might just be a studio thing at this point.

Oh there's definitely some studio involvement there. I think some things were already set for TFA before JJ even started. And it was probably part of the reworking of Rogue One. That stuff is fun to a degree when it's incidental, but when it gets too coincidental, it takes me out of it a bit. Like pig man happening to be on that planet in Rogue One just before it explodes.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5287 on: September 12, 2017, 10:01:03 AM »
Hack, fake, better version of Brett Rattner, whatever.. I don't care what he's referred to. I enjoy his movies, I think he makes them entertaining.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Adami

« Reply #5288 on: September 12, 2017, 10:03:02 AM »
JJ has been a derivative hack in everything I've seen from him, so I won't give him the benefit of the doubt here. :lol But hopefully slightly less of a derivative hack this time assuming TLJ sends it in a slightly different direction.

Oh there's definitely some studio involvement there. I think some things were already set for TFA before JJ even started. And it was probably part of the reworking of Rogue One. That stuff is fun to a degree when it's incidental, but when it gets too coincidental, it takes me out of it a bit. Like pig man happening to be on that planet in Rogue One just before it explodes.

I hope Pigman gets his own spinoff movie. He can be played by John C Riley.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5289 on: September 12, 2017, 10:05:37 AM »
I hope Pigman gets his own spinoff movie. He can be played by John C Riley.

:lol That is some inspired casting.
I'm sure he'll be all over the Han Solo movie.

Offline Adami

« Reply #5290 on: September 12, 2017, 10:10:28 AM »
I should add, I don't even want him in any make up. I just want John C. Riley as himself speaking in his own voice. I also want Pigman to be his official name.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5291 on: September 12, 2017, 10:11:48 AM »
I am on board with every single one of these ideas.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5292 on: September 12, 2017, 10:12:31 AM »
I should add, I don't even want him in any make up. I just want John C. Riley as himself speaking in his own voice. I also want Pigman to be his official name.

That's asking quite a lot, but hey, send your suggestions to Lucasfilm, see what they say.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5293 on: September 12, 2017, 10:36:29 AM »
I think JJ is a good director, so I have no probelm with this.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5294 on: September 12, 2017, 11:22:37 AM »

Ditto

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5295 on: September 12, 2017, 11:31:04 AM »
On a side note, I looked up the dude who JJ is writing the movie with, and it's the same guy who did Batman v Superman. That makes me more nervous than JJ's involvement, but we'll see. :millahhhh
He also wrote Argo, for which he won an Oscar.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #5296 on: September 12, 2017, 12:43:16 PM »

Ditto

Agreed!

I like Star Trek 2009 and i love The Force Awakens. I'm happy with this! Chris Terrio is the big question mark in this...

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5297 on: September 12, 2017, 01:20:45 PM »
Yea have no problem with JJ returning.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5298 on: September 12, 2017, 04:23:46 PM »

Ditto

Agreed!

I like Star Trek 2009 and i love The Force Awakens. I'm happy with this! Chris Terrio is the big question mark in this...

Yea have no problem with JJ returning.  :tup

Same here. For as much crap as he gets/got for the whole "rehash" narrative.....the dude was put in a tough spot and managed to nail both vital aspects of the introduction of this new trilogy. Appeal to the 'old school' fans enough to keep them interested and provide a whole new set of heros for new fans to fall in love with. As I said....he nailed both.

Added bonus being that Kylo Ren is a fantastic 'bad guy' and was presented and portrayed very good.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #5299 on: September 12, 2017, 04:37:57 PM »
I'm going to reserve my opinion on JJ's return until after I've seen the next film. If it blows TFA out of the water...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5300 on: September 12, 2017, 05:06:24 PM »
I loved TFA and its my favorite behind Empire so I am more than happy to have JJ back.

As long as there's no ewoks, we good.

Offline Adami

« Reply #5301 on: September 12, 2017, 05:09:09 PM »
I loved TFA and its my favorite behind Empire so I am more than happy to have JJ back.

As long as there's no ewoks, we good.

Personally I'm hoping for a spin off focusing on the long fabled Ewok/Porg war.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cable

« Reply #5302 on: September 12, 2017, 05:43:09 PM »

Star Trek 2009 and Into Darkness were derivative of ST2:Wrath of Kahn. Whether that is studios, Abrams and/or him being a company guy is unknown.

Disney's choices to me point to them being safe, and playing up nostalgia with this franchise. They gutted Lucas' ideas for TFA. The director swaps and/or reshoots, or time extensions point to conflicting visions. Or visions too far off the beloved SW reservation. Not even attacking Lucas here- he did something different for the prequels. Whatever the opinion of them, he took a known conclusion and created a backstory that wasn't a reboot. So the Mouse rejects Lucas' consultation, reshoots chunks of Rouge One (and won't release them), removes two directors. And bring back a guy who did a New Hope pt.2.

So far then, we have; a beat-matched TFA, Rogue One which is based in episode 4-6 canon, a Han film based around ep4-6 canon, a rumored Fett film based on primarily 4-6 canon character, a ? in episode 8 but Driver already made the Empire comparison, and bringing back the beat-match master for 9. It seems to me then that Disney wants a franchise based in the episode 4-6 only world.

*sigh.* I'm not even into the characters of Disney's other cash-cow, the MCU. But Feige has been masterful there IMO.
---

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5303 on: September 12, 2017, 07:15:05 PM »
If they ever wanted to get off the Episode 4-6 rehash train, I would love to see them do a Knights of the old republic film, or films.

Offline Adami

« Reply #5304 on: September 12, 2017, 07:26:59 PM »
If they ever wanted to get off the Episode 4-6 rehash train, I would love to see them do a Knights of the old republic film, or films.

As long as one of the characters is secretly Anakin's great great great grandmother or something silly.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #5305 on: September 12, 2017, 09:17:00 PM »
So Star Wars has been moved from May or whatever to December.

Can they just admit that SW will be in December in general? Seeing all of their movies each independently delayed to the same month is getting dumb.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5306 on: September 13, 2017, 02:22:38 AM »
So Star Wars has been moved from May or whatever to December.

Can they just admit that SW will be in December in general? Seeing all of their movies each independently delayed to the same month is getting dumb.

I may be wrong but I thought that was already common knowledge, that it was clearly stated that we'd get movies every two years in December.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5307 on: September 13, 2017, 06:38:29 AM »
It was but episode nine was slated for a summer release in May. That's been moved now.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #5308 on: September 13, 2017, 07:30:19 AM »
On a side note, I looked up the dude who JJ is writing the movie with, and it's the same guy who did Batman v Superman. That makes me more nervous than JJ's involvement, but we'll see. :millahhhh
Ah, good call! I don't mean to sound like too much of a downer. I think that the worst case scenario is we get an enjoyable, fun flick. Something on the level of Return of the Jedi, in my opinion.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5309 on: September 13, 2017, 07:44:19 AM »
Ah, good call! I don't mean to sound like too much of a downer. I think that the worst case scenario is we get an enjoyable, fun flick. Something on the level of Return of the Jedi, in my opinion.

So long as it isn't Return of Return of the Jedi.  Or Return of the Sith.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #5310 on: September 13, 2017, 08:25:41 AM »
Return of a New Hope...

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #5311 on: September 13, 2017, 09:07:16 AM »
Return of the Sand - It still gets everywhere..

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5312 on: September 13, 2017, 04:16:16 PM »
Return of the Sand - It still gets everywhere..

Beach Blanket Barbecue.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5313 on: September 13, 2017, 04:53:09 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5314 on: September 29, 2017, 02:08:21 PM »
There's some chatter online that episode 8 is going to be close to 2 1/2 hrs long making it the longest SW episode to date. Rian Johnson has already mentioned that post production is done so it's possible the cut is set. Makes me even more excited for it now!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5315 on: September 30, 2017, 04:57:56 PM »
Yeah, I heard it was basically confirmed as 2 and a half hours, and that the film is finished (which I assume just means the film is locked, and not effects and stuff). With how much TFA had to do, it felt rushed, so I'm totally ok with a longer film that can go into more detail and cover more ground.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #5316 on: October 01, 2017, 04:16:58 PM »
I'm totally down with a 150-minute Star Wars movie. :metal

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #5317 on: October 02, 2017, 03:28:01 AM »
I don't really care how long it is, just as long as it's good. I agree that TFA felt rushed in places. It had the extra burden of establishing the new characters that we won't have to the same extent with TLJ.

The most important thing for me is for it have a good story. I can overlook some of the obvious throwbacks to the original trilogy with TFA, as I see it as trying to re-establish the look and feel of Star Wars, but I think this is the movie where they can afford to take some risks and move the story on in (hopefully) some unexpected direction. People will inevitably be looking to compare this one to ESB, but I really hope it stands on its own two feet.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5318 on: October 02, 2017, 04:14:16 AM »
I usually like learning that movies I look forward to are going to be pretty long. It usually means that the studio has faith in the product, for whatever that's worth. If they said it as going to be 90 minutes I'd be worried, because it would likely mean that even the studio thinks it's bad, and order them to cut it down to just get whatever money they can out of it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5319 on: October 02, 2017, 04:20:54 AM »
If any movie franchise should feel safe enough to have a longer runtime and not scare people off, it's Star Wars. Hopefully it means they've got plenty of time for the character/emotional moments inbetween the action.