Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 455534 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One
« Reply #5250 on: August 09, 2017, 10:09:40 AM »
I am a musical idiot so I never got that whole ADToE/I&W connection, but I haven't cared to read up on it either. It's a great album. Who gives a shit. If I have to read up on why it is a "rehash" I am devoting too much thought to something that should be an emotional experience.

I am a movie idiot so I never got that whole IV/VII connection, but I haven't cared to read up on it either. It's a great movie. Who gives a shit. If I have to read up on why it is a "rehash" I am devoting too much thought to something that should be an emotional experience.

These thoughts echo mine with regards to both ADTOE and TFA. I think that people overthink these things sometimes. In some cases, the overthinking  also appears to be selective. I've seen a lot of people tear apart TFA with a fine tooth comb only to turn around and say "Return of the Jedi is my favorite film because it has a green light saber!" :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5251 on: August 10, 2017, 01:59:49 PM »

I'm...........suddenly worried.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5252 on: August 10, 2017, 02:03:43 PM »
That's like worrying about an album after seeing the album cover and track lengths, no?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #5253 on: August 10, 2017, 02:11:45 PM »
That's like worrying about an album after seeing the album cover and track lengths, no?

Well those are actual characters. So it's like worry over a snippet or leaked sheet music.

Album cover or track lengths would be more like cmovie subtitle or poster.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5254 on: August 10, 2017, 03:43:37 PM »
Ewoks: The Next Generation

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5255 on: August 10, 2017, 03:48:03 PM »

Well those are actual characters. So it's like worry over a snippet or leaked sheet music.

Yes, but we know nothing about them other than the way they look.  What does that have to do with anything?  Perhaps a better analogy then would be the release of a band picture from album art, and trying to judge how the album sounds based on how the band members look in a photo.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #5256 on: August 10, 2017, 04:08:53 PM »

Yes, but we know nothing about them other than the way they look.  What does that have to do with anything?  Perhaps a better analogy then would be the release of a band picture from album art, and trying to judge how the album sounds based on how the band members look in a photo.

Yup! Not a bad analogy there. And if DT released a new promo image for whatever their next album and it's all of them in 70's disco suits, I'm also going to be a little worried haha.

I'm not a huge SW fan, and was never insanely pumped for this movie to begin with, and it's not like I won't see it because of these pictures. The weird walrus nuns don't bother me much, since they could get 10 seconds of screen time for all I know. But that weird other creature is next to Chewy on the Falcon. So whatever that thing is, is clearly going to get some decent screen time. Maybe it'll be the cutest thing ever? Just doesn't inspire confidence in me.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5257 on: August 10, 2017, 05:46:29 PM »
I've always had a walrus nun fetish, it just took me until now to realize that.  I'm actually completely psyched for this movie now.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5258 on: August 10, 2017, 09:47:38 PM »

No.

I'm not a huge SW fan, and was never insanely pumped for this movie to begin with, and it's not like I won't see it because of these pictures. The weird walrus nuns don't bother me much, since they could get 10 seconds of screen time for all I know. But that weird other creature is next to Chewy on the Falcon. So whatever that thing is, is clearly going to get some decent screen time. Maybe it'll be the cutest thing ever? Just doesn't inspire confidence in me.

I also have no issue with the walrus nuns either, but the Porgs have been a concern for many people. They're native to the place Luke is at, and are supposed to be wise or something, and apparently will get a decent amount of screen time. I hope they pull it off, but they look like Ewoks v2.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5259 on: August 11, 2017, 07:47:48 AM »
You're right.  A movie saga set in space should NEVER have aliens that do not look humanoid.  It can't be good if all the characters aren't good looking White people.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5260 on: August 11, 2017, 07:55:18 AM »
If only there was some huge middle ground between attractive white people, and overly cutesy sentient seal bird puppet merchandising fodder! But alas........

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5261 on: August 11, 2017, 09:04:41 AM »
If only there was some huge middle ground between attractive white people, and overly cutesy sentient seal bird puppet merchandising fodder! But alas........

There is.  You are referring to gungans.

Oh, wait...  :lolpalm:

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #5262 on: August 11, 2017, 02:01:59 PM »
Don't worry, be happy! :hat

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5263 on: August 11, 2017, 02:08:55 PM »
That thing by Chewie initially reminded me of my daughter's Hatchimal. Then I realized is has no beak.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #5264 on: August 13, 2017, 08:17:13 PM »
I get where you're coming from Adami, but it's also pretty silly/ridiculous if you're legitimately worried over a couple of alien side characters that will in all likelihood show up in the film for a total of five seconds (probably two seconds, because it's Entertainment Weekly). But again, I get where the worry comes from. Though a couple of cute aliens to pander to a few people won't ruin the movie. Now if they show a floppy eared, mentally deficient war commander who speaks like a child and is as ditzy as a drunken college chick, then you can be worried all you want.  :lol :corn

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5265 on: August 13, 2017, 08:29:05 PM »
As far as "cutesy" characters go, BB-8 was better done than any Star Wars character of that ilk in quite some time (and maybe ever), so I'm hopeful that the creature next to Chewbacca will be handled with the same skill.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #5266 on: August 15, 2017, 08:58:45 PM »
I can honestly see it being really vicious and violent. That'd be pretty awesome.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #5267 on: August 30, 2017, 09:12:38 AM »
New Last Jedi trailer coming late tonite or tomorrow!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5268 on: August 30, 2017, 09:16:54 AM »

I was just wondering when the new trailer would drop. Can't wait!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #5269 on: August 30, 2017, 10:13:55 AM »

:corn
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #5270 on: August 31, 2017, 05:56:31 AM »

Source? I haven't heard anything but I hope so!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #5271 on: September 05, 2017, 05:45:53 PM »
Colin Trevorrow is officially out as the director of Episode IX. This is becoming a bit of a ridiculous trend. :lol

As The Last Jedi seems to be the only film that has gone 100% smoothly so far, my vote is to bring Rian Johnson back and postpone Episode IX until December 2019 to give him time to make it work.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5272 on: September 05, 2017, 06:20:22 PM »
Colin Trevorrow is officially out as the director of Episode IX. This is becoming a bit of a ridiculous trend. :lol

As The Last Jedi seems to be the only film that has gone 100% smoothly so far, my vote is to bring Rian Johnson back and postpone Episode IX until December 2019 to give him time to make it work.

Wow, that is funny. Massive re-shoots for Rogue one, firing of the directors for the Han solo movie and Episode 9. For a mult-billion dollar franchise, I would hope they would have their shit together a little more  :lol

And I am totally down for having Rian Johnson to come back.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5273 on: September 05, 2017, 11:34:06 PM »
Seriously? This is getting ridiculous. :lol
How much would the guy have even had the opportunity to do at this point? Disney must be rethinking their approach to the franchise at this point, which probably means less freedom for the directors in future. Hopefully they can maintain quality with churning them out once a year.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5274 on: September 06, 2017, 02:04:43 AM »
On one hand, Jurassic World is trash so I'm not really that upset, but on the other, I'm really starting to worry that the franshise will lose focus with all this bullshit going on.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #5275 on: September 06, 2017, 07:06:50 AM »
After Episode IX, I think that they should take at least five years before releasing X. Actually, I think that they should wait even longer, but I know that's not realistic. I also think that they should take a couple of years off after putting out the Obi-Wan movie.

On a side note, I watched Rogue One for the first time since December last night. I really enjoyed it, as I did before, and think that it expands on the Star Wars lore beautifully. I don't think that it's as entertaining as The Force Awakens, but it's got some incredible moments.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5276 on: September 06, 2017, 07:23:42 AM »
I have no problems or concerns with this. It's better to make a change before the production get's started if there are already red flags.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5277 on: September 06, 2017, 08:03:06 AM »
I have no problems or concerns with this. It's better to make a change before the production get's started if there are already red flags.

Yeah, this. It sounds like after the debacle with the Han Solo movie they must have had a meeting with him to dig into what his 'vision' was to make sure it was in line with what they wanted. I guess it wasn't so there ya go.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5278 on: September 12, 2017, 08:54:49 AM »
JJ to write/direct Episode IX. Bleh.

Offline Adami

« Reply #5279 on: September 12, 2017, 09:02:07 AM »
JJ to write/direct Episode IX. Bleh.

Well I heard he was in talks. Is it confirmed?

I mean, obviously it will be. The dude can take orders.

Edit: Looks confirmed. Lame.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:14:19 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #5280 on: September 12, 2017, 09:14:42 AM »
This sounds crazy to say, seeing as I haven't even seen Episode VIII, but I was so hoping that Rian Johnson would do Episode IX. He seems like such a fresh and inspiring director. And this is coming from someone who hates the word "inspiring". :lol

That said, I love The Force Awakens, and think that JJ is generally a solid creator. Lucasfilm could have done much worse. I just hope that Episode IX isn't too safe.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #5281 on: September 12, 2017, 09:28:22 AM »
I just hope that Episode IX isn't too safe.

^ exactly this for me..

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5282 on: September 12, 2017, 09:28:59 AM »
I think after the recent debacle of firing directors, they wanted a guaranteed safe choice, and given that they've already worked with JJ on a movie that did incredibly well, he was an obvious pick. I think he could have done all three if not for the fact he didn't want to be long term to another country.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5283 on: September 12, 2017, 09:32:44 AM »
I welcome the news of JJ being back. I'm quite sure I've read that JJ wishes he would've done some things differently and would be glad to be back. I think as usual he'll make an entertaining movie. I had zero problems with his approach on TFA. I don't think he'll be heavy handed with references to the OT this time.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #5284 on: September 12, 2017, 09:47:36 AM »
I don't think he'll be heavy handed with references to the OT this time.

Agreed. I think the homage was a one-time thing, and doing so again would be a bad move. JJ isn't a dumb guy; he actually seems really bright and competent, from what I've seen. I'd be really surprised if he did it again.

On a side note, I looked up the dude who JJ is writing the movie with, and it's the same guy who did Batman v Superman. That makes me more nervous than JJ's involvement, but we'll see. :millahhhh