Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 455575 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One
« Reply #5215 on: June 25, 2017, 12:38:36 PM »
How did it take people in charge this long to notice that this was going wrong? Were they not keeping tabs on production?

You'd think a higher up would be watching dailies, wouldn't you?

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5216 on: June 25, 2017, 12:51:23 PM »
Yea, the weirdest and most alarming part of all of this is that this stuff should have been worked out before a single frame was even shot.

I get trusting your directors to shoot their vision, but you really need to know what that vision is, in good detail, before handing over a huge film like this.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5217 on: June 25, 2017, 01:21:14 PM »
Would've been nice to see a very different kind of Star Wars movie. Oh well.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5218 on: June 25, 2017, 01:35:41 PM »
Different is good, but I don't think the Han Solo movie is the place for it. People are protective of the character, and have certain expectations.
I think they will have to be diverse with these side movies to avoid franchise fatigue though.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5219 on: June 25, 2017, 02:00:01 PM »
Different is good, but I don't think the Han Solo movie is the place for it. People are protective of the character, and have certain expectations.
I think they will have to be diverse with these side movies to avoid franchise fatigue though.

I think that's why they need to focus on more of the second tier characters like Ahsoka or someone less 'known'. The only way the Han movie works is if they utterly nail it because of how dear that character is to all SW fans. It's very risky.

Focusing on a 'lesser' character would allow them to have more leway with the character and story
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5220 on: June 26, 2017, 07:30:47 AM »

I think that's why they need to focus on more of the second tier characters like Ahsoka or someone less 'known'. The only way the Han movie works is if they utterly nail it because of how dear that character is to all SW fans. It's very risky.

Focusing on a 'lesser' character would allow them to have more leway with the character and story

I'd all for an Ahsoka film.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5221 on: June 26, 2017, 07:34:03 AM »
Who the hell is Ahsoka? They're trying to make money, which means characters and events the average movie goer knows and cares about.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #5222 on: June 26, 2017, 08:33:06 AM »
Ahsoka is a fan favorite character from the Clone Wars and Rebels animated shows.

I'd also be ok with Ahsoka movie, except her story got pretty much wrapped in Rebels. I don't know what else they could do with her.

They could make a Star Wars western with all new characters, set in some unknown corner of the galaxy. I'd go see that!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5223 on: June 26, 2017, 12:28:31 PM »
See, that's the thing with Ashoka - they would get it wrong for one side of the fanbase.  Those like Blob/me who barely (if at all) know her aren't going to care all that much.  Those that are invested in the EU, and already know her story are just as likely to shit all over a live-action/feature length movie if the story/character isn't be 'true' (enough) to the EU.

I could've gone for a Han & Lando story.  "Han's not here!"  ... if you catch my drift.

Cheech & Chong
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5224 on: June 26, 2017, 12:41:01 PM »
:lol @ Cheech & Chong reference. 

Ahsoka isn't EU.  But, yeah, I pretty much agree with what you said.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5225 on: June 26, 2017, 06:06:58 PM »
See, that's the thing with Ashoka - they would get it wrong for one side of the fanbase.  Those like Blob/me who barely (if at all) know her aren't going to care all that much.  Those that are invested in the EU, and already know her story are just as likely to shit all over a live-action/feature length movie if the story/character isn't be 'true' (enough) to the EU.

I could've gone for a Han & Lando story.  "Han's not here!"  ... if you catch my drift.

Cheech & Chong

If it's done right like The Lord Of The Rings trilogy where it wasn't word for word or have everything from the books no one will complain.

But it has to be that good.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #5226 on: June 27, 2017, 07:08:51 AM »
Yeah Ashoka isn't EU. Lucasfilm has dubbed The Clone Wars AND Rebels for that matter as canon.

EDIT: On that topic, The Clone Wars is ESSENTIAL Star Wars. All the seasons are on Netflix, and I highly recommend watching them. Not only does it make the Prequel trilogy better, it expands on the mythos of the Force. I have a feeling some of it will pertain to The Last Jedi.

If you dont want to watch all the seasons, I can recommend episodes for you to watch.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5227 on: June 27, 2017, 08:10:58 AM »
I'm sure I'm not the only one and I could be thinking of the wrong thing but I just can't get over how cheesy and just unappealing the CGI looks. I'm sure it's something you get used to but I can't look at a screenshot or clip and not think "low budget".

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5228 on: June 27, 2017, 11:27:22 AM »
Yeah Ashoka isn't EU. Lucasfilm has dubbed The Clone Wars AND Rebels for that matter as canon.

EDIT: On that topic, The Clone Wars is ESSENTIAL Star Wars. All the seasons are on Netflix, and I highly recommend watching them. Not only does it make the Prequel trilogy better, it expands on the mythos of the Force. I have a feeling some of it will pertain to The Last Jedi.

If you dont want to watch all the seasons, I can recommend episodes for you to watch.

The aspect I enjoyed was getting to know Anakin WAY better than what Lucas did with the films. Watching his progression as a Jedi and Leader and also the conflict he had with the Jedi 'way' in itself...it was good to see. I loved the times when his actions and speech would veer off course from the Jedi way and that 'Vadar' music would lightly play in the background...hinting at the darkness within....his character was very well done in that show IMO.

And as far as I'm concerned Ahsoka is in the top tier of greatest all time Star Wars Characters. Above many of the 'fan favorites' of the movies like Boba Fett, Lando and others...she's dynamic and was an incredibly powerful/smart Jedi. The recent book that was released written by Johnston (haven't read it yet but) details where/what she was/did after she fled the Jedi...survived order 66 and then reappeared. That'd be a great live action movie even if fans weren't familiar with her.

I'm sure I'm not the only one and I could be thinking of the wrong thing but I just can't get over how cheesy and just unappealing the CGI looks. I'm sure it's something you get used to but I can't look at a screenshot or clip and not think "low budget".

I was never distracted by the CGI...and didn't think it was all that bad. You do get used to watching animation but as for how 'bad' it was....i never found it to take away from anything. in fact, it just added to the lore of the types of things the Jedi could do.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5229 on: June 27, 2017, 07:47:09 PM »
My bad... I didn't know Clone Wars and Rebels were canon.

Which kinda proves my point that there is likely a large audience in the Star Wars movie-base that wouldn't be invested in those characters.  Then again, Marvel has done ok by that with most of their movies.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #5230 on: June 27, 2017, 09:04:02 PM »

The animation for Rebels for me is worse than The Clone Wars, which had some really impressive coloring and lighting work, and the camera work was especially exceptional. The battle scenes are terrific!

The aspect I enjoyed was getting to know Anakin WAY better than what Lucas did with the films. Watching his progression as a Jedi and Leader and also the conflict he had with the Jedi 'way' in itself...it was good to see. I loved the times when his actions and speech would veer off course from the Jedi way and that 'Vadar' music would lightly play in the background...hinting at the darkness within....his character was very well done in that show IMO. 

Yep you nailed it. I wish this was how Anakin was in the actual films.

Another aspect of Clone Wars that I loved are the Clone stories, especially the "Rookies" episode and General Krell story arc

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5231 on: June 27, 2017, 10:57:16 PM »
I remember liking Ashoka by the end, but I also remember her being a pretty annoying character early on.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5232 on: June 27, 2017, 11:13:49 PM »
I remember liking Ashoka by the end, but I also remember her being a pretty annoying character early on.

Early on she was like 10 years old. By the end of Clone Wars she was.....next to Anakin....the best character on the show.

I've yet to watch Rebels as I've just recently completed Clone award.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5233 on: July 27, 2017, 02:55:08 PM »
Here goes a clear promotional photo of snoke. One that is in the flesh, not just hologram

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-8-promo-images-showcase-snoke-luke/#gallery=1

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5234 on: July 30, 2017, 07:29:07 AM »
Glad that Lorde and Miller were fired.  The accounts of what they were doing sound atrocious.  Ron Howard should be able to safely steer the ship into port (which is the best outcome that Lucasfilm can hope for at this point).

A film about Ahoska would be a terrible idea.  Of course, a film about Han Solo isn't a great idea, either.  A film about Lando would have been much been much better, IMO.

The stand-alone films have to be about characters or events known to the average SW film fans; the overwhelming majority of them don't watch the cartoons or even read the other books or comics, so they won't be interested in films starring those characters or about those events.  Those characters/events already have an avenue - the cartoons, novels, and comics.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5235 on: July 30, 2017, 07:30:59 AM »
What kinds of stuff were they doing?   I had only heard about the firing, but didn't know the details

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5236 on: July 30, 2017, 07:41:26 AM »
What kinds of stuff were they doing?   I had only heard about the firing, but didn't know the details
They were apparently approaching it just like another Jump Street film, encouraging the actors to do a LOT of improv, and just producing something with the complete wrong tone for a SW film.  Conditions on set (especially with the crew) weren't great either.  The crew apparently reacted with much joy when they were notified that Ron Howard was being brought in.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5237 on: July 30, 2017, 08:54:25 AM »
Here goes a clear promotional photo of snoke. One that is in the flesh, not just hologram

Why does stuff like this get leaked? Why not let it be a surprise for moviegoers?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5238 on: July 30, 2017, 09:05:00 AM »
The stand-alone films have to be about characters or events known to the average SW film fans; the overwhelming majority of them don't watch the cartoons or even read the other books or comics, so they won't be interested in films starring those characters or about those events.  Those characters/events already have an avenue - the cartoons, novels, and comics.

I agree that the cartoon/novel/comic characters are less known. But there's going to be an eventuality where they have burned through a couple of the 'main' side characters from the Main Source for these non trilogy movies. Ahsoka and a couple other non traditional characters are really cool characters that if done right could be really neat but it would be a tricky gamble.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5239 on: July 30, 2017, 10:02:08 AM »
They may very well be good stories, but if no one comes to see them, it won't matter.

The next "Episode" films in the ongoing saga don't need any extra setup - it's the next part of the ongoing story.  Everyone would want to see that (by "everyone" I mean the vast army of people who are already SW fans).

Likewise with the format they have established with the stand-alone stories.  Movies about film characters (Han Solo) or events talked about in prior films (stealing the Death Star plans). 

Not sure there is enough willingness to see a film about any of the extraneous (non-film) characters.  Maybe there is, but I doubt that the risk would be financially workable for Lucasfilm.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5240 on: July 30, 2017, 11:41:49 AM »

Why does stuff like this get leaked? Why not let it be a surprise for moviegoers?

I don't see this as a "leak".   I mean, this doesn't tell us anything at all that we didn't already know.   Heck, a fan could have done this based on what we already know.   It's just a "real life" mock up of exactly what we already saw.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #5241 on: July 30, 2017, 12:45:30 PM »
Has anyone discussed the Behind the Scenes trailer that was released a couple of weeks back? I thought it was really great. Unlike the Han Solo film, Episode VIII appears to be coming together seamlessly. I feel like it's got a really good vibe about it.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5242 on: July 31, 2017, 11:39:22 AM »
Has anyone discussed the Behind the Scenes trailer that was released a couple of weeks back? I thought it was really great. Unlike the Han Solo film, Episode VIII appears to be coming together seamlessly. I feel like it's got a really good vibe about it.
Nope.  Wasn't even aware.  But what little I have heard about Ep. VIII even aside from that has been pretty positive, so I am not surprised about what you posted.  Thus far, I feel that the two films released by Disney have been outstanding, so I remain optimistic about the other projects until they give me a reason not to.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5243 on: July 31, 2017, 11:48:24 AM »
Thus far, I feel that the two films released by Disney have been outstanding, so I remain optimistic about the other projects until they give me a reason not to.

This

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5244 on: July 31, 2017, 01:03:01 PM »
Just watched the behind-the-scenes trailer.  Some pretty cool stuff.  But also some stuff that, if you think about it, may be sorta' spoilery.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5245 on: August 04, 2017, 11:46:30 AM »
Just saw Rogue One. Yeah, I know. Liked it very much. Had a hard time at the beginning following the plot, but that was my fault for not being able to relax and settle in right away. Well-crafted, well-told story. Enjoyed it much more than EpVII. Feelings subject to change over time. While I knew where R1 was going, I never felt I knew how anything was going to play out. Whereas with EpVII, I felt like I had seen that movie before, and thus it didn't keep me as engaged. If that makes sense.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #5246 on: August 04, 2017, 11:54:44 AM »
I felt like I had seen that movie before, and thus it didn't keep me as engaged. If that makes sense.

Well yea.. It's just a rehash of Images & Words :neverusethis:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5247 on: August 04, 2017, 02:22:33 PM »
I am a musical idiot so I never got that whole ADToE/I&W connection, but I haven't cared to read up on it either. It's a great album. Who gives a shit. If I have to read up on why it is a "rehash" I am devoting too much thought to something that should be an emotional experience. 

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #5248 on: August 05, 2017, 07:54:42 AM »
I am a musical idiot so I never got that whole ADToE/I&W connection, but I haven't cared to read up on it either. It's a great album. Who gives a shit. If I have to read up on why it is a "rehash" I am devoting too much thought to something that should be an emotional experience.

I am a movie idiot so I never got that whole IV/VII connection, but I haven't cared to read up on it either. It's a great movie. Who gives a shit. If I have to read up on why it is a "rehash" I am devoting too much thought to something that should be an emotional experience.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5249 on: August 05, 2017, 10:39:25 AM »
Ah, the game's afoot eh? HAVE AT YOU!  :)