Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 450871 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One
« Reply #4935 on: March 14, 2017, 08:44:03 PM »
I don't think they'll include Vader in the Han Solo movie. There's no need for it, and there are plenty of other OT characters they can include much more naturally, such as Jabba and Greedo.

I think every "prequel" movie going forward needs a random cameo from those cantina criminals. Let them be the glue of the stand alone films.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4936 on: March 14, 2017, 09:10:59 PM »
I don't think they'll include Vader in the Han Solo movie. There's no need for it, and there are plenty of other OT characters they can include much more naturally, such as Jabba and Greedo.

I think every "prequel" movie going forward needs a random cameo from those cantina criminals. Let them be the glue of the stand alone films.

All part of a new Star Wars expanded universe movies series, where eventually the two dudes will get their own prequel where we see them acquire all 12 of their death sentences.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Adami

« Reply #4937 on: March 14, 2017, 09:12:11 PM »

All part of a new Star Wars expanded universe movies series, where eventually the two dudes will get their own prequel where we see them acquire all 12 of their death sentences.

Wanna meet up tomorrow and start writing the basic treatment?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4938 on: March 14, 2017, 09:20:24 PM »
I'm actually busy tomorrow writing the spinoff Salacious B. Crumb / Max Rebo buddy cop comedy.

Online Adami

« Reply #4939 on: March 14, 2017, 09:25:52 PM »
I'm actually busy tomorrow writing the spinoff Salacious B. Crumb / Max Rebo buddy cop comedy.

Waste of time.

"The Comedic and Contentious Calamities of the Crazy Cantina Criminals" is the way to go.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4940 on: March 14, 2017, 10:37:43 PM »
It was very cool, but you also want to be careful not to overexpose Vader and turn it into his movie. It's a side movie, so it's not supposed to be his story. I think they got the balance right.

I was more or less joking.....your point is right on. It was just such a cool scene.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #4941 on: March 17, 2017, 06:14:09 AM »
I just want to add my bit about the prequels, I'd probably rank them as follows:

The Phantom Menace
The Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones

Now I know TPM gets a lot of flack but I prefer it over the other two prequels (especially AotC, which I'll get to). I was about 16 when I saw TPM on release and was already a massive SW fanboy. I didn't hate it as much as some but definitely saw it's flaws and that it was inferior to the OT. The thing I like about TPM though is that it is pretty bad but it has more redeeming features than the other two, IMO.

So yea Jar Jar sucked etc, etc. I like Ewan Mcgregor as an actor but I can't stand his portrayal of Obi-Wan, especially in TPM. But I love Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon Jinn, I thought Jake Lloyd was a better actor at 10 than Hayden Christensen was in AotC. I loved the whole podracer scenes. I thought Darth Maul was a great villain and finally the score in TPM is easily my favourite since the OT (and that includes TFA and R1). So yea, I really like some parts of TPM. AotC however is atrocious as far as I am concerned. For me there are literally no redeeming features, I hated Hayden Christensen's portrayal of Anakin, the plot was lame, I didn't like Dooku as a villain, I hated the whole end to the film, Yoda prancing about like a Gummie Bear. Yea, I really hate that film. RotS is better but still is ultimately quite forgettable for me. I've probably watched RotS least out of the prequel trilogy to be fair (only twice I think) and AotC maybe 3-4 times.

Anyway that's my two cents on TPM, it doesn't reach the heights of the OT but I enjoy it a fair bit. And that score.....goosebumps!!!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4942 on: March 17, 2017, 06:21:34 AM »
If for nothing else, I will give props to TPM because of the practical sets. That makes such a night and day difference.

Also, there feels like there was actual effort put in to TPM. Sure it was a huge swing and a miss, but I feel like an attempt was made, where as clones felt so phoned in, especially when you are in an entire blue room, with blue floors, walls and ceiling and you tell your lone actor who is standing there by themselves to "pretend there's lots of cool, intense stuff going on". That is so weak, lame and lazy.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4943 on: March 17, 2017, 06:27:42 AM »
When I think of Attack of the Clones, the only thing I can recall liking was Obi-Wan's visit to the clone world and his fight with (some dude's character that I can't recall right now).

I don't remember liking any bits from the other two movies. I've literally only watched each one once.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4944 on: March 17, 2017, 07:50:35 AM »
The prequels were vastly improved in my eyes by watching the Clone Wars series which in many ways was superior to the films. The extra character development actually made you care about them. Even the Jar Jar based episodes weren't terrible.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4945 on: March 17, 2017, 08:00:30 AM »
The prequels were vastly improved in my eyes by watching the Clone Wars series which in many ways was superior to the films. The extra character development actually made you care about them. Even the Jar Jar based episodes weren't terrible.
Yeah, I agree.  And with all of them, I couldn't even say they are bad the first time through.  I mean, as said, they are obviously inferior to the OT and have obvious problems.  But I still recall for each one, despite the flaws, the feeling of awe seeing the story unfold while not yet being too distracted by most of the bad stuff.  And although I guess it has been de-canonized now, I appreciated the fanboy nods to Dark Forces in II and III as well. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #4946 on: March 17, 2017, 08:27:09 AM »
Who here has the Thrawn book by Zahn on pre-order?  :metal

p.s. not movies and TV, but obviously the books are an extension. hopefully this is the proper place for it...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4947 on: March 17, 2017, 08:33:36 AM »
I have never read a single Star Wars book.  Not because I wouldn't enjoy them.  But I never really followed early on.  And then there were so many different stories and storylines that I felt kind of lost.  So I never jumped in.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Skeever

« Reply #4948 on: March 17, 2017, 09:34:04 AM »

I tried to watch Clone Wars, but couldn't get through it. Just wasn't big on the artistic direction and format of (at least) season 1 and 2. But in essence, I agree. Tons of interesting stuff in the prequel galaxy - just poorly executed by the three main films.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #4949 on: March 17, 2017, 10:18:00 AM »
I have never read a single Star Wars book.  Not because I wouldn't enjoy them.  But I never really followed early on.  And then there were so many different stories and storylines that I felt kind of lost.  So I never jumped in.

you wouldn't feel that way on this one. It is re-introducing the character for the first time in the new canon. So if you have interest, this book is a good starting point.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4950 on: March 18, 2017, 03:08:06 PM »
There was a member of this board who was a huge Thrawn fan. SEAN WHERE ARE YOU??

I haven't read any SW books either. No particular reason. Too many other good books to read I guess.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #4951 on: March 19, 2017, 04:11:45 AM »
I went through a phase of reading loads of Star Wars books when I was about 16/17. I have the Thrawn trilogy at home but I don't think I ever read the third book. I remember loving I, Jedi and I also re-read Shadows of the Empire about a year ago. There was just so much in the Expanded Universe. I just used to read whatever I could get my hands on in second hand book shops, I read probably 10-12 books but it in a really disjointed fashion.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4952 on: March 19, 2017, 05:22:25 AM »
I love Thrawn. Cold, calculating, strategic and using his logic and reason to be victorious. Probably one of my top 5 favorite characters from SW and a fantastic villain.

I haven't read a SW book in a long, long time, but when I was younger I read the Heir to the Empire trilogy and loved it. I also read Shadows of the empire as well a played the game and loved that too.

And while I am discussing Expanded Universe, I just wanted to say that I really love Mara Jade. Red hair, purple lightsaber, tough and strong in a Ripley/Sarah Connor kind of way. Just fantastic.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4953 on: March 19, 2017, 05:34:52 AM »
So do we all think that Snoke is going to turn out to be a tiny dude in Episode 8 or 9 ?

I'm assuming they'll reveal him in Episode 8 if he's going to be the big bad for the trilogy.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4954 on: March 19, 2017, 12:00:40 PM »
I could see episode 8 ending with a battle between Snoke and Luke with Luke dying, setting the stage for Rey to face Snoke in episode 9.

Online Adami

« Reply #4955 on: March 19, 2017, 12:45:09 PM »
Pretty sure they officially announced that Snoke is actually like 8 feet or whatever tall a while ago.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4956 on: March 19, 2017, 01:40:33 PM »
Granted I only saw TFA the one time but Snoke left absolutely no impact on me as a villain. Is he supposed to be the new Palpatine? I wouldn't even know where to begin trying to discuss him.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4957 on: March 19, 2017, 03:15:48 PM »
I don't think he's gonna be 30 ft tall and I really hope he's not Anakin's Force Ghost gone bad.

Online Adami

« Reply #4958 on: March 19, 2017, 03:17:50 PM »
This character is much better executed as a CGI character. That’s just a practical reality when he’s 7-foot-something tall; he’s very, very thin.

https://people.com/movies/star-wars-the-force-awakens-adam-driver-gwendoline-christie-star/

There, can we stop trying to figure out if Snoke is tiny or not?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4959 on: March 19, 2017, 03:18:53 PM »
Granted I only saw TFA the one time but Snoke left absolutely no impact on me as a villain. Is he supposed to be the new Palpatine? I wouldn't even know where to begin trying to discuss him.
True, but Palpatine had almost no role until the third movie, so I could easily see them doing that sort of thing again.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4960 on: March 19, 2017, 04:44:36 PM »

Sure, but how much of a role did Palpatine have before Return of the Jedi?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4961 on: March 19, 2017, 04:53:42 PM »
Ha anyone seen the "The Clone Wars" movie ? How is it compared to the other 3 prequels ?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4962 on: March 19, 2017, 10:09:23 PM »

Sure, but how much of a role did Palpatine have before Return of the Jedi?

He's not even mentioned in ANH, so Snoke is already ahead in that regard. With so much to cover in two hours, they couldn't go into detail for everything, and it wasn't necessary. They know they have multiple movies to flesh it all out, so often it's better to leave some mystery.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4963 on: March 20, 2017, 08:58:45 AM »
Ha anyone seen the "The Clone Wars" movie ? How is it compared to the other 3 prequels ?
I would say it is at least better than I and II.  It is "good," but a bit cheesy.  I would say its best attribute is that it sets the stage for the animated Clone Wars series, which, once it gets going, is actually quite good.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4964 on: March 20, 2017, 09:47:29 AM »
Agree with the above statement. Feels more like a cartoon for kids (which it is of course) so it can get a bit silly in that way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4965 on: March 20, 2017, 09:55:20 AM »
^Yeah, exactly.  It does have that tone to it.  And the series does as well, although it feels like it does a good job of balancing that with a slightly more mature edge as it gets a few episodes in, kind of like the Batman animated series in the '90s.  So, yeah, it definitely has that "made for kids" feel to it, but still has a broader audience appeal in spite of that primary focus.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4966 on: March 24, 2017, 11:52:31 AM »
From Bob Iger about the Han Solo film:

Iger also revealed that the next film, a standalone project on Han Solo, will follow his life from the age of 18 through 24. The film will including “acquiring a certain vehicle and meeting a certain Wookie,” he said. “You’ll also discover how he got his name.”

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4967 on: March 24, 2017, 12:04:37 PM »
I assume he means how Chewie got his name ?

Or is Han Solo a nickname ?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4968 on: March 24, 2017, 12:19:23 PM »
From Bob Iger about the Han Solo film:

Iger also revealed that the next film, a standalone project on Han Solo, will follow his life from the age of 18 through 24. The film will including “acquiring a certain vehicle and meeting a certain Wookie,” he said. “You’ll also discover how he got his name.”

A representative from Disney went on to say that "the ONLY 'official' information that has/will be posted so far is what is posted on Official Disney Social Media. Several people here RAN and SPREAD the "leak" as if it was "official information" which it was NOT.... Iger was absolutely reprimanded for his irresponsible actions in doing so...he deleted the post and has apologized profusely for his mistake. Respect it or else..."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4969 on: March 24, 2017, 12:29:37 PM »
:|