Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 450930 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One
« Reply #4900 on: March 06, 2017, 04:22:51 PM »
I'll give these rankings a try, don't think I've ever ranked the SW films before...

Return of the Jedi
A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
The Force Awakens
Revenge of the Sith
Rogue One
Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4901 on: March 06, 2017, 06:16:05 PM »
The only one I can't sit through is Clones. Between the blue screen madness and off the wall romance scenes, I just can't do it. Menace has issues, but I can actually physically sit through it (and the more practical sets and the liam neeson definitely helps)

Sith I actually enjoy most of it, despite its flaws. Chalk it up as a guilty pleasure I guess.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4902 on: March 06, 2017, 06:20:57 PM »
Sith I actually enjoy most of it, despite its flaws.

Yea, really the only watchable from that trilogy.  I enjoyed all three when they were first released, but it's really hard to go back and watch them as I got older and realized just how bad of movies they were. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4903 on: March 06, 2017, 06:39:32 PM »
I'll give these rankings a try, don't think I've ever ranked the SW films before...

Return of the Jedi
A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
The Force Awakens
Revenge of the Sith
Rogue One
Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace
I think I might be the only one with you that likes Return of the Jedi the best.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4904 on: March 07, 2017, 11:53:04 AM »
Empire Strikes Back
The Force Awakens
A New Hope
Return of the Jedi
--
Rogue One
--
Phantom Menace
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4905 on: March 07, 2017, 12:53:07 PM »
I like some of the parts of TPM without Jar-Jar.  Liam Neeson isn't bad, and the parts with Darth Maul are pretty cool.  I even like the pod race, but I don't like anything else with young Anakin.

The other two films in the Prequel trilogy are fairly dreadful.  I like the scenes with Dooku, and that's about it.  Not crazy about CGI Yoda.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4906 on: March 07, 2017, 01:10:45 PM »
Sith was the best of the second trilogy, but I still wasn't that big of a fan.

I just found watching episodes 1-3 that I was trying hard to like them instead of liking them naturally, like episodes 4-6.  I'm glad some people like episodes 1-3, but I just stick with the originals.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4907 on: March 07, 2017, 01:28:03 PM »
Yeah it seems that people are now making excuses for the PT and anyone who doesn't like them is " jumping on a bandwagon "...

But hey - like I said before - as soon as The Last Jedi comes out - then it will be the greatest thing ever and Rogue One will now "suck ass lol"...

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4908 on: March 08, 2017, 05:15:55 AM »
I don't know, reception to Rogue One definitely felt mixed. I was disappointed overall because even though it was a Star Wars movie and had things on paper that I like, there just weren't any good characters for me to really bond with. The ending would have been emotional had I cared about any of the characters at that point, but I didn't, so it was just kinda there.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4909 on: March 08, 2017, 05:21:37 AM »
I don't know, reception to Rogue One definitely felt mixed. I was disappointed overall because even though it was a Star Wars movie and had things on paper that I like, there just weren't any good characters for me to really bond with. The ending would have been emotional had I cared about any of the characters at that point, but I didn't, so it was just kinda there.

I've seen mostly positive reception for it and "best SW ever" and above Force Awakens in rankings and one or two of the OT also.

but that's probably just coz it has Vader in.......

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4910 on: March 08, 2017, 05:22:30 AM »

I've seen mostly positive reception for it and "best SW ever" and above Force Awakens in rankings and one or two of the OT also.

but that's probably just coz it has Vader in.......

No, it's not. It's because people genuinely thought it was a great movie. ROTS also had Vader in it, and it still sucked ass.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4911 on: March 08, 2017, 05:28:40 AM »
Vader was in ROTS for like 5 seconds and all he did was comically go NOOOOOOOooooooo  :lol

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #4912 on: March 08, 2017, 06:27:45 AM »

I wasn't disappointed in Rogue One, but I'm quite certain at this juncture that I liked The Force Awakens a lot more, mainly because of the characters.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4913 on: March 08, 2017, 02:51:33 PM »

I wasn't disappointed in Rogue One, but I'm quite certain at this juncture that I liked The Force Awakens a lot more, mainly because of the characters.

My biggest problem with Rogue One was also the characters.  They seem random and very little depth to them so just like you, at the end, I just didn't care about their fate.  The story is good and the end is pretty awesome, but it's hard for me to rank it higher than most of the other SW movies because of the characters.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4914 on: March 08, 2017, 03:37:12 PM »
We knew going into Rogue One that it was a one-off deal.  Other than Darth Vader, CGI Tarkin, and maybe a few others, any character would be introduced and then ultimately die because we already know that they're not around in Episode IV.

But we all knew that, including the guys making the film.  I think they would have done better with fewer characters, allowing us more backstory and/or character development for each.  The more invested we are in the characters, the more impact it has when they ultimately meet their fate.  When Whatsername and Whatsisname are sitting on the beach at the end waiting to die, I thought it was well-done, except I wished I cared more about the characters.  I've seen the movie twice, and honestly right now I can't think of either of their names.  I found myself watching the movie and thinking about how well they've connected things to the events of Episode IV more than I did about the characters.

Rule #1 in storytelling:  You have to at least care about the characters.  Since I didn't really care about them, there was no impact, thus the movie failed.  That's a gross oversimplification, but that's what it comes down to for me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4915 on: March 08, 2017, 03:38:19 PM »

Rule #1 in storytelling:  You have to at least care about the characters.  Since I didn't really care about them, there was no impact, thus the movie failed.  That's a gross oversimplification, but that's what it comes down to for me.

Yep. They were all so cardboard and emotionless.

Rey, Finn, Poe...All so charismatic and engaging.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #4916 on: March 08, 2017, 05:34:06 PM »
Vader was in ROTS for like 5 seconds and all he did was comically go NOOOOOOOooooooo  :lol

Ugh, just had a flashback of the last time I watched Return of the Jedi.  Unless it was my imagination, they used the same (or very similar) "NOOOO" sound clip as Vader throws the emperor over the handrails.  At least in the Blu-ray version.  WHY????!!!

I shouldn't be surprised.  They also got rid of the Ewok song "yub nub" and showed clips of various planets rejoicing, including a large crowd of gungans screaming "weesa win!"
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 05:42:30 PM by ronnibran »

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #4917 on: March 09, 2017, 02:15:43 AM »

Ugh, just had a flashback of the last time I watched Return of the Jedi.  Unless it was my imagination, they used the same (or very similar) "NOOOO" sound clip as Vader throws the emperor over the handrails.  At least in the Blu-ray version.  WHY????!!!

I shouldn't be surprised.  They also got rid of the Ewok song "yub nub" and showed clips of various planets rejoicing, including a large crowd of gungans screaming "weesa win!"

Why indeed? Just one of the many unnecessary changes in the Special Editions. But there's now been so many tweaks, it's hard to know which of the Special Editions is the special-est.  :)

I thought the characters in Rogue One were ok - definitely no worse than TFA. I found myself caring about Jyn and Cassian, and even K2-SO when he met a heroic end. Maybe with Baze, Chirrut and Bodhi there were just too many extra heroes to compete for your attention.

Perhaps Baze and Chirrut could have been combined into one character and Bodhi's character fleshed out a little more. It would have been nice to see what drove him to defect from the Empire in the first place..

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4918 on: March 09, 2017, 03:13:38 AM »
Bodhi was probably my favorite, maybe a bit because I really like Riz Ahmed as an actor.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4919 on: March 09, 2017, 03:23:01 AM »
Regarding ROTJ, the new victory celebration song is the only Special Edition change that i love. I could have done without gungans shouting "weesa Free", but the song is so much better than Yub Nub!

I also liked R1, but i think the main cast was way too big. Movie only needed Jyn, Cassian and K2. I think the movie would have been better, if they had focused only on those three.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4920 on: March 09, 2017, 06:49:45 AM »
I liked the original victory song because at some point I noticed that it's actually the same song from the movie "Caveman" starring Ringo Starr and Dennis Quaid.  Pretty sure.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #4921 on: March 09, 2017, 12:47:35 PM »
My favourite bit of the victory celebration was the Ewok playing drums on the storm trooper helmets.  :lol

I can't remember if this part survived the special editions or not. It's been a while since I last watched it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4922 on: March 09, 2017, 02:29:23 PM »
I liked the original victory song because at some point I noticed that it's actually the same song from the movie "Caveman" starring Ringo Starr and Dennis Quaid.  Pretty sure.

For your consideration:

Song from "Caveman"

(Original) Song from "Return of the Jedi"

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4923 on: March 09, 2017, 07:00:20 PM »
My favourite bit of the victory celebration was the Ewok playing drums on the storm trooper helmets.  :lol
As a kid I looked forward to that part every damn time.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4924 on: March 13, 2017, 02:48:58 PM »
They need to do a new holiday special that is a crossover with Alien, and have Ridley Scott direct it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4925 on: March 13, 2017, 02:54:39 PM »

Return of the Jedi
A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
The Force Awakens
Revenge of the Sith
Rogue One
Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace
I think I might be the only one with you that likes Return of the Jedi the best.

My fave also. This ranking pretty much mirrors mine except TESB would be #2.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4926 on: March 13, 2017, 03:00:08 PM »
I havent seen the OT for a long time but based solely on memory...

Empire
A New Hope
The Force Awakens
Jedi
Rogue One
Sith
Menace
Clones

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4927 on: March 14, 2017, 05:46:04 AM »

Empire
A New Hope
The Force Awakens
Jedi
Rogue One
Sith
Menace
Clones
This would be my order as well I think.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4928 on: March 14, 2017, 07:33:38 AM »

Empire
A New Hope
The Force Awakens
Jedi
Rogue One
Sith
Menace
Clones
This would be my order as well I think.

It was my first order :neverusethis:

pray I don't alter it further :neverusethis:

this is the ranking you are ok i'll stop now.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4929 on: March 14, 2017, 02:27:21 PM »
The ‘Rogue One’ Darth Vader Ending Was a Last-Minute Addition

Nice little story.  Pretty crazy that it was added that late in the process.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4930 on: March 14, 2017, 07:56:07 PM »
I'm glad they added it, because otherwise Vader's other scenes would have felt like fan service, and it helped stack the odds against the rebellion and make the situation look more desperate. There are other scenes that apparently also went through major changes in reshoots that I'm curious about, but I think they got it right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4931 on: March 14, 2017, 08:04:34 PM »
I'm glad they added it, because otherwise Vader's other scenes would have felt like fan service, and it helped stack the odds against the rebellion and make the situation look more desperate. There are other scenes that apparently also went through major changes in reshoots that I'm curious about, but I think they got it right.

My only issue with it is that there weren't about three more scenes just like it. Vadar just devastating legions of rebels.

That scene is fantastic.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4932 on: March 14, 2017, 08:11:21 PM »
It was very cool, but you also want to be careful not to overexpose Vader and turn it into his movie. It's a side movie, so it's not supposed to be his story. I think they got the balance right.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4933 on: March 14, 2017, 08:40:24 PM »
I agree. I hope they don't manage to work him into the Han Solo movie though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4934 on: March 14, 2017, 08:42:31 PM »
I don't think they'll include Vader in the Han Solo movie. There's no need for it, and there are plenty of other OT characters they can include much more naturally, such as Jabba and Greedo.