Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 455064 times)

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One
« Reply #3886 on: May 04, 2016, 09:13:57 PM »
Finally got around to watching TFA and figured I'd post some musings before disappearing again until five months after the next one. All in all I found it enjoyable, despite being trite and occasionally hokey.

JJ certainly has a style. I'll give him that. With an existing franchise the actual story is irrelevant. It's familiarity and humor based on that familiarity that matters. That's what made the two ST movies bearable, and while this has more going for it than those two, it's still pretty damned important to TFA. While I'm sure it's been mentioned 1000 times over the last 112 pages, (I probably should have lobbied for the beginning of a new thread so I could get my deranged ramblings on page one) Han stole the show, and it's because he was the only character human enough to make all the throwbacks and sly humor work. Halfway through this I was thinking that the next one will suffer horribly in the absence of Han bringing home the nostalgia bacon. Luke, at this point as a character, doesn't have it in him.

I'm still not a fan of his cinematography, though this was an improvement over ST. He still wants to make the viewer feel like they're in the scene. While movies should feel immersive, it should be because the story draws you in, not because the world is exploding around you.

That said, the action sequences weren't all that bad, at least compared to ST. During a couple of the aerial fights you could actually get an idea of what was going on, rather than being a jumbled mess. The dogfighting low over the water was actually pretty nicely done. It was also refreshing to see people with light sabres doing their thing at normal speed, instead of 6FPS. It actually gives you the opportunity to sense what the hell is going through their head.

When you rely on throwbacks to make a movie, you often wind up with miraculous coincidences, and this is no exception. The Millennium Falcon lying around in the perfect spot (Oh, that thing hasn't flown for years) and then starting right the hell up. Han capturing them 5 minutes later. Heading straight to the magical Chinese woman who tells them all what they need to know, and also has Luke's lightsabre stashed in the basement for some odd reason. This is the sort of thing that just bugs me.

I actually didn't notice any scenes that were made specifically for video game tie-ins. That' refreshing. It does seem that JJ wants to do right by the franchise. It's not really what I want to see in a movie, but it's nevertheless entertaining. Part of the reason I didn't like the ST movies is because they're not ST in the slightest. Familiar characters but nothing else. This doesn't really feel much like SW to me, but it doesn't bother me nearly as much. I'm not enough of a SW fan to be offended by the change in direction. So to that end the familiarity and in-jokes are enough to make it alright in my book.

edit: Oh yeah, and how the hell did Leah and Han produce such an ugly child? That was really odd.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 09:35:52 PM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3887 on: May 05, 2016, 12:39:25 AM »
edit: Oh yeah, and how the hell did Leah and Han produce such an ugly child? That was really odd.

I think someone used the force on Kylo's nose when he was a kid.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3888 on: May 05, 2016, 04:18:14 AM »
Just caught up on Rebels. I was sceptical about it at first, being how cheesy some moments were in the beginning. But then the really cool shit started to happen, so now I'm on board. The season 2 finale was awesome.

Fuck Chopper though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3889 on: May 05, 2016, 04:20:19 AM »

I think someone used the force on Kylo's nose when he was a kid.

I wouldn't call Adam Driver ugly. I know i'm a hetero male but still..

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3890 on: May 09, 2016, 04:06:53 PM »
Watched TFA again this past weekend with the kiddos. After watching the saber battle again at the end it was pretty evident Kylo Ren was toying with Finn and show boating a bit. He defended every strike from him rather than go on the offensive and end it quick then pins him against the tree and toys with him a bit more and burns him....and it wasn't until Finn accidentally hit him in the shoulder then Kylo disarms him within seconds of that and slices him down the back.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #3891 on: May 09, 2016, 04:41:51 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nohQReM7BpI
Glad someone mentioned these guys, my friend is the Darth Vader guitarist  :tup
hoping their kickstarter is successful so they can tour  :metal

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3892 on: May 11, 2016, 05:54:09 AM »
https://variety.com/2016/film/news/alden-ehrenreich-han-solo-spinoff-star-wars-1201754043/

Never heard of him, but apparently this guy is playing a young Han Solo in an upcoming spinoff movie.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3893 on: May 11, 2016, 05:56:00 AM »
Anyone seen that thing going around with Mark Hamill's face photoshopped on Sebastian Stan and the caption " they're like twins !!!!1! "

Well yeah if you put Mark Hamill's entire face on another person.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3894 on: May 11, 2016, 06:01:18 AM »
I just now saw that pic when googling who Sebastian Stan is, and it's very fake.
Nonetheless, there is a strong legit resemblance. Wish they'd chosen someone a bit more Han Solo looking for young Han.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3895 on: May 11, 2016, 01:10:06 PM »
If you dress him and style his hair for the part, he'll look plenty like Han Solo.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3896 on: May 11, 2016, 01:21:28 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nohQReM7BpI
Glad someone mentioned these guys, my friend is the Darth Vader guitarist  :tup
hoping their kickstarter is successful so they can tour  :metal
Yea awesome!!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3897 on: May 18, 2016, 04:43:17 PM »
SO...

I'm interested in Rogue One because it will be interesting to see a film set around the time of Episode 4.

Also Episodes 8 and 9 to continue the "main" story.

I don't really have any interest in the solo Han Solo movie beyond the fact that Lord & Miller are making it. ***

The Lego Movie & the first Cloudy With Meatballs movie were both great. The second one without them was terrible. 

Never seen 21/22 Jump Street though.

One thing i'm fearful about for Episodes 8 and 9 is them overusing BB8. He was pitched *perfectly* in 7.

*** EDIT : Lawrence Kasdan is writing the Han Solo movie and Miller / Lord are directing ? I'm in ! But have like 0 interest in the third Anthology movie.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 05:40:36 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3898 on: May 20, 2016, 11:29:19 AM »
Rumor going around that the title of Episode VIII will be Fall of the Resistance.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3899 on: May 20, 2016, 11:31:47 AM »
I've seen so many rumours about Star Wars in the past few years that I don't believe anything until it's confirmed. However, I'd like that title and what it implies, and it would sorta half mirror the OT again.
I'd say it's too blunt and descriptive, but then I realized that explains most Star Wars titles. :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3900 on: May 20, 2016, 11:33:01 AM »
I've certainly heard worse prospective titles.

Hell, I've heard worse ACTUAL titles in the series.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3901 on: May 20, 2016, 11:35:09 AM »
....and I just went on Facebook to see an article stating it's NOT the title. :lol

Attack of the Clones could be a Z-movie title.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3902 on: May 20, 2016, 11:50:09 AM »
....and I just went on Facebook to see an article stating it's NOT the title. :lol
Well, chances were slim, anyway.

Hopefully they pick one that is just as decent.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3903 on: May 20, 2016, 12:20:05 PM »
I mean, I remember feeling kind of meh when the 'The Force Awakens' name was revealed because it seemed pretty...general? I dunno, the Force is obviously one of the series' main elements, and there was a new trilogy announced so it was kind of 'obvious' it would awaken or come back or something to that extent (that was pretty much my reasoning back then) until I saw the film and it tied up nicely with Rey's storyline.

The only thing I hope of VIII is that is strays away from being the 'dark film' of the trilogy. Not another Empire Strikes Back, please.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3904 on: May 20, 2016, 12:44:49 PM »

For me, it's only really the first in each trilogy that have actually had good titles. A New Hope, The Phantom Menace and The Force Awakens are all pretty good. I find that the rest all basically suck (not that it matters in the slightest). Even "Star Wars" is pretty tacky.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3905 on: May 20, 2016, 01:59:35 PM »
I think The Force Awakens is the best SW title.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3906 on: May 20, 2016, 03:54:37 PM »
The only thing I hope of VIII is that is strays away from being the 'dark film' of the trilogy. Not another Empire Strikes Back, please.

I agree that I don't want a rehash of Empire, but the second act is traditionally the darkest one, where the heroes are at their lowest point. It will be interesting to see where it goes, but it would be great if it didn't stay in safe territory as much as TFA.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3907 on: May 20, 2016, 10:12:46 PM »

For me, it's only really the first in each trilogy that have actually had good titles. A New Hope, The Phantom Menace and The Force Awakens are all pretty good. I find that the rest all basically suck (not that it matters in the slightest). Even "Star Wars" is pretty tacky.

I guess you're right. Anything with "Revenge" in the title is kinda cool, but then I remember Revenge of the Nerds. All of the names besides the ones you've mentioned are quite blunt and descriptive. "Star Wars" falls under the same group I suppose, but I'm so used to it after knowing the name forever that it's not something you think about. Once you associate a name with something, you don't give much thought to it at a purely literal level.
I remember all of the complaints and jokes about the name "The Force Awakens", but I thought it was a pretty good title from the start, and now that people have seen the movie associated with it, the jokes appear to have mostly dissipated too (or maybe they just ran out of jokes :P ).

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3908 on: May 21, 2016, 02:21:25 AM »
Yeah definitely. One a product has established itself, then only the goofiest (or most inappropriate) of names tends to still sound/read weirdly, as we just associate them with the products. None of the Star Wars ones are that bad, so you only really notice when you step back and look at what the words actually mean.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3909 on: May 23, 2016, 07:18:48 PM »
Once they finish the spin offs and episode 9, I wouldn't mind seeing them start exploring the knights of the old republic era for film material

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3910 on: May 24, 2016, 06:25:15 AM »
Once they finish the spin offs and episode 9, I wouldn't mind seeing them start exploring the knights of the old republic era for film material

That would be a fantastic idea!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3911 on: May 24, 2016, 07:01:00 AM »
I doubt that ever happens.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3912 on: May 24, 2016, 07:06:41 AM »
They'll have to do something. They said they have no intention of stopping after Episode 9.

I'm no SW nerd but from what I gather they've thrown out all the EU stuff so either it's 100% original films or they draw from something in canon.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3913 on: May 24, 2016, 08:53:01 AM »
Personally, I have no interest in stuff that supposedly happened thousands of years ago.  My investment in Star Wars is because of the characters we have already been introduced too and the continuation of their stories.  I would assume that any future SW films will go into the future or into the past of characters/storylines we already know (like these first two announced "saga" films).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3914 on: May 24, 2016, 08:57:56 AM »
I get both sides.  I'm going to just try to not have any preconceived notions.  Whatever the story ends up being, if it is done well, I will probably like it.  To draw a parallel, I was never really into the Marvel characters Iron Man, Hulk, or Daredevil at all (was more of a Spider Man and X-Men/mutants fan, and occasionally Captain America), but I have REALLY enjoyed what Marvel has done with those characters in the films and TV series.  Same with GotG.  I thought that had "flop" written all over it, and I had precisely zero interest in seeing it.  Man was I wrong.  I may not have any automatic interest in a Star Wars storyline thousands of years before the lives of the main characters either.  But if done really well, my interest level will take care of itself.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3915 on: May 24, 2016, 10:30:39 AM »
Well yeah, if it's good, then great.

But I think any such things are better left in the book world.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #3916 on: June 02, 2016, 02:16:19 AM »
So....

Disney Orders Reshoots for 'Star Wars' Stand-Alone 'Rogue One' This Summer

Executives felt it was tonally off with what a “classic” 'Star Wars' movie should feel like.
Star Wars stand-alone movie Rogue One: A Star Wars Story will undergo several weeks’ worth of additional shooting, sources have confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.

Much of the cast and director Gareth Edwards will regroup in mid-June for another round of shooting. The move is happening after execs screened the film and felt it was tonally off with what a “classic” Star Wars movie should feel like. The pic has not yet been tested before audiences, but one source describes the cut as having the feel of a war movie.

The goal of the reshoots will be to lighten the mood, bring some levity into the story and restore a sense of fun to the adventure.

Rogue One focuses on the fabled mission hinted at in Star Wars: Episode IV — A  New Hope, that of a group of rebels stealing the plans to the Death Star. The plans later end up in the hands of Princess Leia, who transfers them to R2-D2.

“This is the closest thing to a prequel ever,” a source tells THR. “This takes place just before A New Hope and leads up to the 10 minutes before that classic film begins. You have to match the tone!”

And while it’s not confirmed, some suggest that the new shooting could pave the way for an appearance of Han Solo as played by Alden Ehrenreich. The actor only recently nabbed the role of the spice smuggler and was not involved in Rogue One’s principal photography, which ran from last August to February.

Disney re-introduced audiences to Star Wars with Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which garnered excellent reviews and grossed over $2 billion worldwide, becoming the third-highest-grossing movie of all time. Sources say that while Edwards’ first cut was a solid showing, it didn’t measure up to the bar set in terms of four-quadrant appeal.

“Anything less than extraordinary won’t do,” says a studio insider.

Reshoots or additional shooting are practically a given in this decade of tentpole comic book, fantasy and sci-fi moviemaking. The films are massive productions, filled with so much green-screen and fit together in a way that, more often than not, demands for shooting to fill in holes or clarify plots. Even acting deals have the shoots in mind when contracts call for “run of show” appearances, which include not just shooting anytime during production but even during postproduction, say several agency sources.

The New York Post first reported about the Star Wars reshoots.

"The feel of a war movie" is exactly what was promised to fans, and what many fans including myself were hoping for and were excited about. Let Episode 7, 8 and 9 be the "fun" ones. I'd like the anthology films to present a different side of the Star Wars universe.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3917 on: June 02, 2016, 02:57:11 AM »
Reshoots like this happen on every movie, but there's no mention of it delaying the release, so hopefully it's just minor stuff being tweaked and added.

The goal of the reshoots will be to lighten the mood, bring some levity into the story and restore a sense of fun to the adventure.

Yeah, don't much like the sound of that. I hope it's not just adding more "poodoo" jokes to keep the kids happy.  :lol

I'm with you - I'd like to see a grittier, edgier movie, rather than something that's just fan service.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3918 on: June 02, 2016, 03:36:43 AM »
I'm ok with the reshoots. This is the first anthology film, and they need this to be as good as possible right off the bat, like they needed to with TFA. On top of that, expectations will be high, connecting directly to ANH.
I'd been wondering just how close to the start of ANH it would connect, so that news excites me.

I think they got the tone just right on TFA, and I'd be surprised if they messed up Rogue One.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3919 on: June 02, 2016, 06:27:03 AM »
I think that all of the "controversy" over these reshoots is blown a little out of proportion.  I am not worried at all.